This Hill Is Moving To A New Valley

It's time to throw my announcement into the I'm moving ring.

A dream opportunity has presented itself so in a month I will be moving to a village in southern Switzerland, about an hour north of Milan.

Due to the lack of privacy on the internet I am not going to post a lot of information but if I know you IRL I'd be happy to share more details via PM.

This board has come a long way from what Don and I imagined it would be the first time we talked about his creating dr.com. I look forward to staying on top of the DC food world from your posts.

Ciao,

hillvalley

• Like 2

Enjoy. Sounds like you're talking about Ticino, which is perhaps the prettiest part of Switzerland, with its largely Southern exposure, and easy access to the Italian and even Austrian Alps not to mention the Italian lakes. I had the good fortune to live in Geneva for nearly three years, a long time ago, but it was a very memorable experience. You will love every minute!

Wow. I think we've only met once offline; maybe at a picnic a few years ago. But, know you're one of the cornerstone reasons why this site ever got off the ground let alone grown as it has with such wonderful content quality. I'm sorry to see you go but also very excited for you. I know the area to which you're moving just a little and guessing you'll love the sheer beauty and tranquility of the place. My kitschy tilted "Glacier Express" mug is one of my favorites for coffee at home! Congratulations and very best to you and your family. Will miss you here.

It's time to throw my announcement into the I'm moving ring.

A dream opportunity has presented itself so in a month I will be moving to a village in southern Switzerland, about an hour north of Milan.

Due to the lack of privacy on the internet I am not going to post a lot of information but if I know you IRL I'd be happy to share more details via PM.

This board has come a long way from what Don and I imagined it would be the first time we talked about his creating dr.com. I look forward to staying on top of the DC food world from your posts.

Ciao,

hillvalley

So it looks like we're having *two* "So Long For Now" Happy Hours in July!

Pick your date and location, hillvalley! You're not leaving until we celebrate/mourn your departure.

HV

Here is an article from today's NYT that, serendipitously, discusses in some detail what presumably you will be working with for health care/insurance when you arrive in your new digs in Switzerland (don't be fooled by the headline--it uses the Swiss example to contrast with the new exchanges in the US--go down to para. 6). Hope it's of some value to you.

In the early '80's, with the American dollar @ 2.80 to the Swiss Franc I reperesented a company from Monthey which is just outside of Montreaux. Over four years I spent quite a bit of time there. I cannot tell you how much I loved those years. You are starting an adventure and will have a memory that you'll passionately carry for the rest of your life. Absolute best wishes and sincere congratulations!

Best wishes on your big move, Hillvalley! I hope you love it there!

One of my brothers moved his family to Hinwill (southeast of Zurich) a few years ago. Aside from being so far from the rest of the family, I think it has been a good experience overall. It looks like just about everyone has a kitchen garden and even some chickens or a cow, for eggs or milk.

Enjoy!

Thank you for all the kind words. john, thanks for posting the article. I would not have read it and it's the best explanation of Swiss health care I have found. I'll post about eating in Switzerland but given that a grande latte in Zurich is $7.55 and I am not going to work for some rich company, I won't be able dining out a lot.

As for a HH, unfortunately I don't think there will be one. This is all happening in a very short time frame leaving me little time to see everyone I want. If it does happen it will most likely be spur of the moment, sometime late next week. I'll keep you posted.

For now I'm back to packing my little boxes on the hillside. Anyone want to help?

Thank you for all the kind words. john, thanks for posting the article. I would not have read it and it's the best explanation of Swiss health care I have found. I'll post about eating in Switzerland but given that a grande latte in Zurich is $7.55 and I am not going to work for some rich company, I won't be able dining out a lot.

As for a HH, unfortunately I don't think there will be one. This is all happening in a very short time frame leaving me little time to see everyone I want. If it does happen it will most likely be spur of the moment, sometime late next week. I'll keep you posted.

For now I'm back to packing my little boxes on the hillside. Anyone want to help?

I need to see the picture of you on a Segway.

Don't thank me until you've read the book. The Yiddish Policeman's Union, where the quote is from, is one of the few books I never finished. I only made it all the way through Kavelier and Clay because of peer pressure.

Don, no need to see a picture; they are quite easy to ride. That being said, you have not lived until you have driven down Pennsylvania Ave. toward the Capitol on a Segway in the pouring rain.

I'll post about eating in Switzerland but given that a grande latte in Zurich is $7.55 and I am not going to work for some rich company, I won't be able dining out a lot.

One thing about eating in Switzerland that I remember, from 40 years ago, was that it was accepted and expected that a restaurant would provide you a second helping if you asked and not bill you any more. Just part of the deal, sort of an early AYCE arrangement. There was a little place in Geneva that served perche du lac (a local specialty) that I loved and I typically did have seconds. Brings back memories.