DonRocks

Administrative Announcement - Looking for Local Experts Around-the-World: Countries, Regions, Cities,and Cuisines (e.g., Australia, Guangdong, Singapore, Barbecue) - Similar to What We're Doing with Andy Hayler

On 7/13/2018 at 1:53 PM, DonRocks said:

Sigh. Sometimes I think there's no conspiracy; the other times I'm awake.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:09 PM, Rovers2000 said:

What a joke.  They won't be, but Eater and the City Paper should be embarrassed.

I have a question: Am I paranoid? Jeez.

I don't think I'm going to be able to rest silent much longer - there's a fine line between being deliberately optimistic (which I always have  been), and ignorant: I am most certainly not the latter, never have been.

Request to all members here: Please continue leading by example. When possible, find the original source (no need to examine government documents), and quote in the form:

Jul 17, 2018 - "Nice Guys Finish Last, or Do They?" by Ben Dover on DiceyDining.com

Or, if you don't want to break up your writing, you can put it in your text like this. <--- Warning, NSFW!

On 7/4/2018 at 8:47 AM, DonRocks said:

The website is back online after several days when a simple backup request by me wasn't being answered - I kept trying and trying to get an answer, and took the website down because I didn't want any members to lose their new posts (not everyone reads these Administrative Announcements); however, I heard from the President of Invision last night, and everything is going to be fine.

Bottom line for everyone: The "Unread Posts" feature for people is going to be reset to where it was as of June 23rd. I could have it reset to June 27th, but that will cost me $150, and I don't see that being much of an advantage. So, in a couple of days, you may notice that your "Unread Posts" will be reset to everything written here since June 23rd - you can easily solve this problem by clicking on "Mark Everything Read," but then there's the opposite problem: Everything on the website will be marked as having been read. The only "correct" way to do this will be to go in and churn through the posts individually. I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone for more than a few minutes (they're sorted in reverse-chronological order, so the new ones will be at the top).

Happy July 4th everyone - it's nice to have you back, and I hope you enjoy the holiday!

My backup request still isn't being addressed. Something is very, very wrong, and I have a feeling I know what it is.

Anyone going to London in the near future?

Andy Hayler is the greatest fine-dining critic in the world - more experienced, and every bit as talented, or better, than I could ever hope to be - even if given unlimited resources.

Why should we trust anything less than Andy?

We shouldn't. This guy has my total respect.

Are there any volunteers out there who will help me make this a better world for American diners traveling to London?

If you're the best in the world at your sub-specialty, write me here, and we'll work out something where we'll link to your website for all the threads we have in your area of expertise. It'll be a win-win-win-win for you-us-readers-diners. Anyone out there the best in the world at your specialty? donrockwell@donrockwell.com is the email address you seek for a ton of PR and web traffic to your website.

Burghound? Want to do Burgundy?

• Like 1

Would everyone like me to do with DC what Andy Hayler is doing with London? I'm painfully aware that we had an "On Demand" review section here, which I simply couldn't fulfill - not because I didn't dine at the restaurants (I did, multiple times), but because I was simply too badly injured to be writing restaurant reviews (if y'all only knew what I've suffered through over the past ten years, you'd understand, but I doubt that anyone will truly ever know). Anyway, I'm perfect capable to write "dcdining.com" - style reviews for what are supposedly the most important openings in the DC area - we could do this by vote, or I could use my judgment - either way is okay with me. Please chime in here and let me know - don't worry about the costs: Dining costs are my burden, and the only reliable reviews are ones written by someone who pays their own way. 

I'm at your service, my brothers and sisters.

Kind regards,
Rocks

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Would everyone like me to do with DC what Andy Hayler is doing with London? I'm painfully aware that we had an "On Demand" review section here, which I simply couldn't fulfill - not because I didn't dine at the restaurants (I did, multiple times), but because I was simply too badly injured to be writing restaurant reviews (if y'all only knew what I've suffered through over the past ten years, you'd understand, but I doubt that anyone will truly ever know). Anyway, I'm perfect capable to write "dcdining.com" - style reviews for what are supposedly the most important openings in the DC area - we could do this by vote, or I could use my judgment - either way is okay with me. Please chime in here and let me know - don't worry about the costs: Dining costs are my burden, and the only reliable reviews are ones written by someone who pays their own way. 

I'm at your service, my brothers and sisters.

Kind regards,
Rocks

YES, please!!

These reviews, IMO, are the most trusted. They are not paid for, and enlist more objectivity which translate in trust. 

Bring back your reviews, as I do enjoy reading them and will use them as a beacon for visiting spots in the DMV.