Visiting DC

Camille-Beau

Please note that the political reporter for the NYTimes wrote the Escape column. Also, note the way he advised people to be careful in DC as it is not as safe as it used to be.

Then you would hope that he had spent some time here and had a clue.

Given the conceit of only 36 hours to experience DC, this is not nearly as bad as it could have been. It does, however, perpetuate some stereotypes of OUR FAIR CITY that we as self-absorbed foodies would like to overcome. First of these is that he recommends Cafe Milano not because of the food but because of who we might see there. But face it folks - that's how the rest of the country views DC - not as a food mecca, but as a place to see John Kerry and other losers :)

I dunno about 9:30 club - perhaps his editor told him the piece should "skew young" ... :lol:

First of these is that he recommends Cafe Milano not because of the food but because of who we might see there. But face it folks - that's how the rest of the country views DC - not as a food mecca, but as a place to see John Kerry and other losers :lol:
Good Lord, really? What a stupid piece - no one is going to see a politician in August. You'd be better off going for the food.
I dunno about 9:30 club - perhaps his editor told him the piece should "skew young" ... :)
Not if I'm there. :) Although mentioning the 9:30 is a good way to work in all the Ethiopian places around there, Ben's Chili, and Oohs & Aahs.

Zaytinya (701 Ninth Street NW, 202-638-0800) a Mediterranean tapas restaurant, that serves fresh Middle Eastern plates in a bustling setting of candles and soaring ceilings. “It feels like New York,” a friend said at dinner one recent night. Precisely.

This quote speaks to the myopic vanity of people who espouse a NYCentric world view.

It also weakens the premise of the article – escapes. When I want to get away from DC, I the last thing that I would want is to dine in a place that feels like DC. But unlike the author, 36 hours away from the city that I love is not long enough to make me seek the soft pink blanky of familiarity.

This quote speaks to the myopic vanity of people who espouse a NYCentric world view.

It also weakens the premise of the article – escapes. When I want to get away from DC, I the last thing that I would want is to dine in a place that feels like DC. But unlike the author, 36 hours away from the city that I love is not long enough to make me seek the soft pink blanky of familiarity.

Articles like this and the one in the Post today about Portland, Maine help contribute to the image that a city has. The Post's description today of Portland's Street & Company and Fore Street drew the appellation "San Francisco East." I had dinner (again) at Fore Street on Thursday night with two others. Yes, it's outstanding. As is Street and Company. But neither is on par with Citronelle or Maestro. Or, I think, CityZen. Kinkead's and Black's, yes, but not the first three. Still, for many reading it they will now believe that Portland competes with D. C., Boston, Philadelphia and Baltimore's best. Just as the three restaurants in Washington-not so safe Washington-may represent our current best to a New Yorker visiting here.

Well, actually Portland MAY compete with Boston, Baltimore and Philly's best. Not D. C.'s. But my saying this just reeks of the same arrogance of the New York writer in commenting on us.

Of course I DO believe that D. C. is a better overall restaurant city than Philly, Baltimore or Boston. I am convinced there is better Italian here than in either the North End, South Philly or Little Italy. Just as the Times writer is convinced....

Ah, hometown chauvinism!

Also, note the way he advised people to be careful in DC as it is not as safe as it used to be.

Since he was talking about walking around the Mall at night and this summer we saw a spate of robberies/assaults on people walking around the Mall at night, I see where this comes from -- but I still disagree with the way he expressed it.

Agree also with Danny's comment about the NY-centric worldview. Just because something is awesome, it has to "feel like New York?" No, it feels like something awesome in DC.

the article looks like it's going to focus on cultural history, but then turns mostly to restaurants, which may not be the first reason for an out-of-towner to visit this area. even with a new menu that explains ethiopian to you, etete didn't make the cut, but warren brown's cake love did, if you want to call it a restaurant. and i'm not so sure that racial diversity is that hard to find in washington.

even with a new menu that explains ethiopian to you, etete didn't make the cut, but warren brown's cake love did, if you want to call it a restaurant. and i'm not so sure that racial diversity is that hard to find in washington.
I have to say that I found it striking that they didn't mention anything about the Ethiopian presence in the neighborhood, considering that I'd rather put frosting on Etete's injera than eat one of those dust bombs from cake love. And YES, I've let the damn things come up to room temperature. That ain't the problem...

I'm kinda wondering how they get from Downtown to Old Town in 10 minutes. From client (14th St, one light from the bridge) to office (north end of Old Town) I still have to budget 15-20 mins. :angry:

My guess that they probably didn't drive it but guessed that 8 miles from Alexandria to DC means about 10 minutes drive (which it is early Sunday morning when we drive to the Dupont market).

The article reads like it was concocted out of the previous year's lame effort and some old PR releases.

To end the day, go see a show at a theater with all the history, elegance and charm of the Kennedy Center
That quote is how I know the author has never been here. The Ken Cen has none of those things. :mellow:

The article reads like it was concocted out of the previous year's lame effort and some old PR releases.That quote is how I know the author has never been here. The Ken Cen has none of those things. :mellow:
Click the author's name. Knows D.C. The assignment might simply have been a bit of a stretch.

Winter Day Out in Manhattan

By Anna Blume

Is there anything more glorious than to wake up and, peering over the strong naked shoulders of a slumbering love-spent man, catch a glimpse of Central Park framed by glistening crystals of ice?

Indeed, there is not, not unless he rises silently first, shaves, brushes his teeth, and fetches the bialys and nova from Barney Greengrass to nosh in bed while sharing the Sunday Times. The best breakfast ever with the nation's finest newspaper in the greatest city on earth. Careful, don't spill the coffee! It's Starbucks!

With all there is to see and do in New York City on a brisk winter's day, it makes no sense to dally even under the loftiest of down. Instead,

Winter Day Out in Manhattan

By Anna Blume

Is there anything more glorious than to wake up and, peering over the strong naked shoulders of a slumbering love-spent man, catch a glimpse of Central Park framed by glistening crystals of ice?

Indeed, there is not, not unless he rises silently first, shaves, brushes his teeth, and fetches the bialys and nova from Barney Greengrass to nosh in bed while sharing the Sunday Times. The best breakfast ever with the nation's finest newspaper in the greatest city on earth. Careful, don't spill the coffee! It's Starbucks!

With all there is to see and do in New York City on a brisk winter's day, it makes no sense to dally even under the loftiest of down. Instead,

LOL! I think the archetypal uptown NYC Sunday bagels/bialys and lox come from Zabar's, however. Downtown, it's Russ and Daughters.