dr.com First annual Chili Tasting

porcupine

OK, here's the scoop: chili tasting is one of the themes for the fall picnic. Note: not a cook-off, but a tasting. This is a community picnic, not a competetive event. So, if you have a recipe that you're proud of, or if you want to experiment, or if you just want to join in the fun, make either a chili or your favorite chili-compatible side dish (like corn muffins, or guacamole, or frijoles de olla, or bring a boatload of grated cheese).

It would be nice if we had a wide variety chillis (mine is beef, btw, beans on the side). Anyone have a good vegetarian chili to share? Any hunters out there want to use up the contents of their freezers? (I seem to recall someone saying he could make moose chili.) We're an eclectic group - be creative!

We'll set up a row of tables just for chili and side dishes, and start serving at 1:00 - which means you may want to get there right at noon and start heating.

If at all possible, bring your own means of reheating your chili and keeping it warm, and your own serving pieces.

I will supply great heaping gobs of tasting-size bowls. And spoons.

Loans of camp stoves, and sterno, and buffet-type serving vessel thingies will be greatly appreciated.

Beer is a fine, fine accompaniment to chili. Just sayin'.

Surely I've forgotten a lot of details. Suggestions welcomed. Please reply to this thread if you'd like to participate in any way (don't pm me, as my in-box is always full). I'm not so much organizing this as, um, informing you about it, but I do want to avoid having fifteen turkey chilis and nothing else. So if you're bringing chili state what general kind.

Two gallons ought to be enough for a tasting. Unless fifty people participate. Hmm, better stay tuned for recommended amounts.

Many thanks. Looking forward to a great booze-up picnic!

I will admit that I have both venison and moose in my freezer. But I'm loath to make chili out of it. I have onlyl one lb. of venison and a 2 lb. package of ground moose. Even though I am involved in the pig roasting deal, I am thinking of experimenting with some smoked pork butt chili in addition. Perhaps a green chili using tomatillos.

For those of you considering participating in the chili event but are worried about how to keep your chili warm, many Asian markets sell those protable butane cartridge stoves for about $10 and they come in handy when the power goes out and the electric stove in your kitchen won't work. Similar to this.

This is known in our household as "burner in a box" and it is ridiculously convenient. Everyone shoulf have one.

Update: I now have five steam table set ups: stands, water trays, food trays, and fuel cartridges. Each one can accomodate 2 trays (1 gallon each), so we have space for eight different chilies. (In case you're doing the math - I'm reserving two trays for myself.) These things are ridiculously cheap, so I'll get more as needed.

I'll also provide a bunch of serving spoons.

Which means all you have to do is bring your chili - already heated if at all possible.

If someone can bring either a small grill to use as a burner, or a decent size camp stove, we'll be all set.

Anybody know where I can find either very small (6 oz) plastic bowls, or deep multi-sectioned plates? We'll need a lot.

The list so far:

porcupine: beef chili, beans on the side

Jacques Gastreaux: smoked pork butt chili? green chili with tomatillos?

Pat: turkey chili with beans

tripewriter: Cincinnati chili with five way fixins

xcanuck: a pot of chili [care to give us details? or is it a surprise? ;-)]

bilrus: Red Ranch Chili with Pork Shoulder

Crackers: chicken chili, with sour cream, shredded cheddar, scliced scallion, diced avocado

Ilaine's husband: Thermonuclear chili, with beef, beans, tomato, habanero

Catharine: vegetarian chili, with cauliflower

To be updated as more entries arrive

Update: I now have five steam table set ups: stands, water trays, food trays, and fuel cartridges. Each one can accomodate 2 trays (1 gallon each), so we have space for eight different chilies. (In case you're doing the math - I'm reserving two trays for myself.) These things are ridiculously cheap, so I'll get more as needed.

I'll also provide a bunch of serving spoons.

Which means all you have to do is bring your chili - already heated if at all possible.

If someone can bring either a small grill to use as a burner, or a decent size camp stove, we'll be all set.

Anybody know where I can find either very small (6 oz) plastic bowls, or deep multi-sectioned plates? We'll need a lot.

I can get some at Restaurant Depot for you. How many do you want?

Anyone looking for a heat source -

There will be two pigs cooking in caja chinas. A caja china is basically a metal-lined box; the pig goes in the box, and charcoal sits on top of the box. Above the charcoal is, well, nothing. So if you have something that can sit directly on charcoal, or perhaps a metal rack that can hold food (or pots, or whatever) above the charcoal, we should have all the heat you'll need, until the pigs are done.

There will be two pigs cooking in caja chinas. A caja china is basically a metal-lined box; the pig goes in the box, and charcoal sits on top of the box. Above the charcoal is, well, nothing. So if you have something that can sit directly on charcoal, or perhaps a metal rack that can hold food (or pots, or whatever) above the charcoal, we should have all the heat you'll need, until the pigs are done.

Excellent! Thanks!

Now that I think about it, the top of the caja china is probably not designed to hold a great deal of weight. A pot or three of chili might not be the best plan. I'll have to take a closer look and see what the rack options might be.

Put me down for a beef chili without beans. You can call this a New York version of Texas chili.

Is that the same thing as chili made with cubed meat (as opposed to ground)?? That's what I'm bringing - chili made with chunks of pork. lamb and beef. But I have to admit that I really do like beans in my chili.

By the way - I just picked about a dozen habeneros from my garden. I tried just the TINNIEST WEE LITTLE nibble....and was in serious pain for about half an hour. Can't wait to put a couple of those babies in the pot! :)

By the way - I just picked about a dozen habeneros from my garden. I tried just the TINNIEST WEE LITTLE nibble....and was in serious pain for about half an hour. Can't wait to put a couple of those babies in the pot! :)
This reminds me of the time I was having dinner at Corduroy with my daughter and I ask Ferhat what made the soup so good. He brings out this small platter with a sprig of green on it. Hanging from the sprig were these little red berries, they looked so cute. I put one in my mouth and crunched down. Oh my God. My lip whet numb and I had to excuse my self and go to the men's room to wash my mouth out. Then, I pulled the trick on Hillvalley at an HH. Ferhat brought another sprig over and I told Hillvalley that they were winter strawberries and that she should try one. She still hates me for that.

They were Thai peppers.

OK, so it's just a joke. But, it is a joke about Chili tastings and it's damned funny (especially if you have ever had to taste at one of these things-it makes for a pretty long day)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In San Antonio , they have a chili cook-off every year around Halloween that takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the city park.

One year Judge 3 was an inexperienced chili taster named Frank, who was visiting from Atlanta .

According to Frank, "Recently I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The originally scheduled judge called in sick at the last minute and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Coors Light concession, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges, both native Texans, that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy --- and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge 3."

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

CHILI NO. 1 - MIKE'S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI

Judge 1 - A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

Judge 2 - Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

Judge 3 - (Frank) Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the fire in my mouth out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

CHILI NO. 2 - AUSTIN 'S AFTERBURNER CHILI

Judge 1 - Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge 2 - Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge 3 - Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides the pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlick Maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI NO. 3 - FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

Judge 1 - Excellent firehouse chili. Great Kick.

Judge 2 - A bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge 3 - Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I've been snorting Draino. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back --- my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting shit-faced from all the beer.

CHILI NO. 4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC CHILI

Judge 1 - Black bean chili with almost no spice.

Judge 2 - Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.

Judge 3 - I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. woman is starting to look HOT --- just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI NO. 5 - LISA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER CHILI

Judge 1 - Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge 2 - Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

Judge 3 - My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that chili had given my brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off? It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw them.

CHILI NO. 6 - VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY CHILI

Judge 1 - Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge 2 - The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic. Superb.

Judge 3 - My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I pooped on myself when I broke wind, and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind except that Sally. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

CHILI NO. 7 - SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

Judge 1 - A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge 2 - Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last minute. **I make note that I'm worried about Judge 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.**

Judge 3 - You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during my autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it --- I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI NO. 8 - BIG TOM'S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI

Judge 1 - The perfect ending. This is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge 2 - This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. **Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge 3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor feller, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?**

Judge 3 - No report.

Is that the same thing as chili made with cubed meat (as opposed to ground)?? That's what I'm bringing - chili made with chunks of pork. lamb and beef. But I have to admit that I really do like beans in my chili.
No it is ground beef not chunks. As a kid I never liked beans (still not a fan), so any time I made chili I always left out the beans.

This reminds me of the time I was having dinner at Corduroy with my daughter and I ask Ferhat what made the soup so good. He brings out this small platter with a sprig of green on it. Hanging from the sprig were these little red berries, they looked so cute. I put one in my mouth and crunched down. Oh my God. My lip whet numb and I had to excuse my self and go to the men's room to wash my mouth out. Then, I pulled the trick on Hillvalley at an HH. Ferhat brought another sprig over and I told Hillvalley that they were winter strawberries and that she should try one. She still hates me for that.

They were Thai peppers.

True, although you didn't point out that you stopped me before I bit down, which is the only reason why we're still talking. Well, that and your butt :)

Bump.

The list so far:

porcupine: beef and chili pepper stew, beans on the side

Jacques Gastreaux: smoked pork butt chili? green chili with tomatillos?

Pat: turkey chili with beans

tripewriter: Cincinnati chili with five way fixins

xcanuck: a pot of chili with chunks of pork, lamb, and beef

bilrus: Red Ranch Chili with Pork Shoulder

Crackers: chicken chili, with sour cream, shredded cheddar, sliced scallion, diced avocado

Ilaine's husband: Thermonuclear chili, with beef, beans, tomato, habanero

hm212: New York version of Texas chili (ground beef)

------------------

This list is looking good, and I'm hungry just reading it! But I think we have enough now.

Anybody interested in bringing chili-compatible sides? We needs lots o' cornbread. And cheese. And sour cream. And onions. And peppers... personally I like having a bowl of minced fresh peppers as a topping, for those who want a spicier dish. And corn chips. And guacamole...

Yes, it has cauliflower, but I was just warning you about how veggie this thing is. It also has beans, carrots, onion, potatoes, and more.

Vegetarian chili with cauliflower sounds weird. Then again, so does chili with carrots, onions, potatoes, etc. Nevermind.

PS - Thanks for spelling my name correctly :)

Bump.

Status Report

Chili:

Beef and Chili Pepper Stew (porcupine)

Smoked Pork Butt Chili and/or Green Chili with Tomatillos (Jacques Gastreaux)

Turkey Chili with beans (Pat)

Cincinnati Chili with five way fixins (tripewriter)

A Pot of Chili with Chunks of Pork, Lamb, and Beef (xcanuck)

Red Ranch Chili with Pork Shoulder (bilrus)

Chicken Chili (crackers)

Thermonuclear Chili (with beef, beans, tomato, habanero) (Ilaine's +1)

Vegetarian Chili (with cauliflower) (Catharine)

New York Version of Texas Chili (ground beef) (hm212)

Oaxaca-Kentucky chili (beef) (cjsadler)

Accompaniments:

corn chips, beer, dip (bonaire)

corn bread (Rissa P)

beans; fresh chopped chili peppers; Monterey Jack cheese; sour cream (porcupine)

five-way fixins (tripewriter)

sour cream, shredded cheddar, sliced scallion, diced avocado (crackers)

corn sticks (Ilaine)

guacamole? (Ilaine)

guacamole (clayrae)

Supplies:

six steam trays, each holding two one-gallon trays, plus fuel and water and serving spoons (porcupine)

a two-burner Coleman stove (porcupine)

another two-burner propane stove: (Jacques Gastreaux)

yet another two burner propane stove (Heather)

you can't have too many two burner stoves (Ilaine)

chafing dish and sterno (Ilaine)

single propane burner (cjsadler)

divided plates (Billy DeLion)

butane burner (Malawry)

a propane camp stove (porcupine, with thanks to ol_ironstomach)

Chili cooks, please post here if you are brining anything to accompany your chili (like rice or beans or spaghetti or polenta or whatever).

Everyone else: Thanks for your contributions! I think we need more cornbread. Another stove or two wouldn't hurt. And isn't anyone out there wanting to show off a good guacamole recipe?

I am bringing a two burner Coleman stove, with fuel, along with my "chafing dish" and sterno. Also corn sticks. I have two Lodge cast iron 7-stick cornstick pans, will make as many batches as you request.

Once you get the pans hotted up, it's assembly line time, especially if you "Pam" them first.

I can make yellow, blue, white, Southern, Yankee, with cheese, with jalapenos, with corn, whatever. Planning on just making regular old yellow but will take requests.

I could even make guacamole if nobody else will. Just plain old guacamole, ripe avocados, crushed garlic, lime juice, chopped up cilantro, sea salt. My ratio is two cloves of garlic to one avocado. If you want me to make it, let me know, I need a couple day's lead time on the avocados.

I have two Lodge cast iron 7-stick cornstick pans, will make as many batches as you request.
You. Rock.

Of course, if people bring bacon or other pork fat, there could be cracklin' corn bread. Y'know, I'm bringing a country ham. Lots of tasty fat there....hmmmm....

I am bringing a two burner Coleman stove, with fuel, along with my "chafing dish" and sterno. Also corn sticks. I have two Lodge cast iron 7-stick cornstick pans, will make as many batches as you request.
Well, last picnic mktye made her volume in homemade crackers...that should be a good starting point :) (kidding!).

They sound great and I'm sure any variety, yellow or otherwise, will be much enjoyed!

Notes for the Chili Chefs

1. By noon thirty picnic day we plan to have six steam tables set up and ready to keep your chili warm.

2. Each steam table accepts two one-gallon trays. I'm claiming two of them, leaving ten slots open. There will also be covers and serving spoons.

3. Please bring your chili as warm as you can (wrap it in towels or something).

4. The two burner camp stove I'm bringing can hold two 8qt pots (max bottom diameter 11 inches).

5. The Coleman stove I'm bringing can hold two straight-sided 4qt pots (max diameter 8 inches).

6. That makes for four burners. If I counted correctly, we'll have eight burners in addition to these, for a total of twelve, so reheating should go quickly. I don't know their sizes, though, so consider bringing a smaller pot and heating in batches.

And finally - please bring no more than one gallon. This is a tasting, after all, and we want to whet peoples' appetites for the piggie smackdown, not stuff 'em silly!

Edited by porcupine

Porcupine asked about my "five-way fixins." For Cincinnati chili, they are:

+ Spaghetti (two-way)

+ Shredded Cheddar Cheese (three-way)

+ Chopped Onions (four-way)

+ Kidney Beans (five-way)

and some oyster crackers on the side.

The wilds of Cincinnati (indeed, the entire Ohio Territory) were once claimed by the Colony of Virginia, so translation should pose few difficulties.