• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with later is the wait. Kay and I will be there Sunday at 11:30 so if anyone else wants to come seee you there. We just got back from a late night snack and the joint continues to amaze with the food.... garlic aromatized half chicken is a half a large bird roasted till crisp, hacked into largish pieces and drenched in a slightly sweetened soy based sauce with loads of caramelized onion and garlic. WOW! Kay's garlic loving co workers will be jealous tomorrow when she eats her leftovers.

1/20 11:30am HECOTB

Dean +1

Perri K

RK Duggins +1

Porcupine +1 (hope their dessert making chefs are working a little OT this week!)

Amit

Jamie

1/27 12:30 (I will check with Janet to see if we can reserve a large table, maybe even a little later) HECOTB

Heather (+?)

Daniel K (+?)

Amit

Dean +1 (tentative)

Scott J +1

Walrus +1 (tentative)

PM me if I have any of this wrong.

1/27 I am up for anything...except standing outside in the snow.....

We have a reservation for 8-12 people on 1/27 at 1:30pm. No waiting in the snow and plenty of selection according to Mr. Janet.

We also have a reservation at 11:30 on 1/20 for 8-12 people.

Tonight we had a rockfish 2 ways- first soup with pork, clams, bones, head, fins, innards, tofu & watercress. Incredible. Followed by the meat stir fried with a touch of black bean sauce, green peppers, slivered jalapeno, red peppers, yellow leeks, lots of ginger. I don't know if our fish would agree with my analysis , but he died for a noble cause.

1/20 11:30am HECOTB

Dean +1

Perri K

RK Duggins +1

Porcupine +1 (hope their dessert making chefs are working a little OT this week!)

Amit

Jamie

Nancy

Lydia +Lydia's Sister (who really has a name but is absolutely famous with this handle!)

Jeff C

1/27 1:30PM (I will check with Janet to see if we can reserve a large table, maybe even a little later) HECOTB

NOTE THE TIME CHANGE- we have a large table reserved in exchange for the later time!

Heather (+?)

Daniel K (+?)

Amit

Dean +1 (tentative)

Scott J +1

Craig & Anne

PM me if I have any of this wrong.

BUMP. Any late additions or subtractions?

Hollywood East Cafe on the Boulevard, Sunday 1/27, 1:30p

Daniel K (+?)

Amit

Dean +1

Scott J +2

Walrus +1

FYI - my +? is now +1 - my 8 year old daughter decided that dim sum had more appeal than playing Xbox with her older brother and his friend.

Dean, that makes us 10 if you need to call with the final headcount.

See y'all at 1:30!

The standouts for me included abalone with thousand-year-old egg, roasted chicken, and custard tarts. But it was all so good! Thanks to Dean for making the arrangements for this dim sum feast.

Our pleasure! We go a lot and it is never as much fun with 2 as with 12! More stuff to eat!

Kay and I split the 100 year egg & abalone balls. I get both the egg and the abalone as Kay just likes the meatball. Works for me!

We got chicken feet; didn't see duck feet.

You have to ask for them. You should see the face of the young man who was the server when I asked for them the last time I was there. This time he just said I was weird and told Dean that I eat duck feet. Dean gladly informed him that my kid does too, and has since he was about 5 years old.

Anyone feel like having another lovely Dim Sum at Hollywood East Cafe on the Boulevard? Dean?

I'm up for a trip, but people usually like to go early, and it's probably the end of June before I have a day that I can get there before 12:30.

Anyone feel like having another lovely Dim Sum at Hollywood East Cafe on the Boulevard? Dean?

If the gorup decides on a date, I can get us a reservation easily. Let me know. We can only reserve at 11:30 or noon, and then not again till 1:30 when all of the desserts and usually the roast pig are gone.

If the gorup decides on a date, I can get us a reservation easily. Let me know. We can only reserve at 11:30 or noon, and then not again till 1:30 when all of the desserts and usually the roast pig are gone.

Outstanding! How about Sunday, May 4, at 11:30 am? Thanks for being willing to make the reservation, Dean!

Hollywood East on the Boulevard

11:30am

Racheal +1

Craig & Anne

Dean & Kay

Elizabeth & Steve

Lydia +1

Perri K

Matt?

Any more and I will have to check to make sure he can take us with a larger group. So if you back out, please do so as early as possible.

I just discovered this thread and realized dim sum sounds good. But, a couple of questions from someone who's never been to this restaurant. First, and sorry about being crass, but what would be the budget I'd need to do this? (I am a postdoc, so not rich.) Second, I don't eat shellfish or molluscs, so sometimes Cantonese dim sum can be a bit...lacking for me. Do you think I'd have a problem?

Sorry if I'm too late with these questions. Even if I can't make this round, at least I'll be notified for the next go-around.

I just discovered this thread and realized dim sum sounds good. But, a couple of questions from someone who's never been to this restaurant. First, and sorry about being crass, but what would be the budget I'd need to do this? (I am a postdoc, so not rich.) Second, I don't eat shellfish or molluscs, so sometimes Cantonese dim sum can be a bit...lacking for me. Do you think I'd have a problem?

Sorry if I'm too late with these questions. Even if I can't make this round, at least I'll be notified for the next go-around.

I don't remember the prices exactly, but I think we manage to utterly stuff ourselves in a way that's really sinful for under twenty bucks each. I'm not terribly fond of shellfish and mollusks and find plenty to eat. Skim the first part of this thread for details.

Delicious -- particularly loved the shrimp wrapped in crispy bacon!

We got out for $19/person, including tax and tip -- boggles the mind, really!

To those who missed this time, don't worry -- we'll definitely do this again (just have to wait for the radish cake craving to hit ;))

Is Hollywood East in Wheaton the reigning dim sum champion for the DC metro region? Is there somewhere great in Great Falls as well? I've not made it outside DC proper for dim sum as yet, which, of course, means I've not had any good dim sum while in town, and am trying to decide which spot in the 'burbs to try first, but Wheaton is way too far from me to drive to without knowing I'm getting the best dim sum in town.

Is Hollywood East in Wheaton the reigning dim sum champion for the DC metro region? Is there somewhere great in Great Fall as well? I've not made it outside DC proper for dim sum as yet, which, of course, means I've not had any good dim sum while in town, and am trying to decide which spot in the 'burbs to try first, but Wheaton is way too far from me to drive to without knowing I'm getting the best dim sum in town.

Actually, Hollywood East on the Blvd. is an easy stroll from the Wheaton Metro. It may not be the reigning champ, but it is certainly a leading contender.

I believe the general concensus of the Some Dim Sundays group was that Hollywood East Cafe on the Boulevard in Wheaton and New Fortune in Gaithersburg were co-champs, Oriental East in Silver Spring a very very close second, and everything else far distant.

That said, who's up for a Some Dim Sunday gathering NEXT Sunday, the 20th?