Problems with the New Invision Version Upgrade

DonRocks

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Hotel California.

As of this morning, I can't log out either! I reported the problem to Invision and will see what they say.

Okay here's Invision's response:

"Please try clearing your cookies in your browser, not via the link in IPB. When [xxx] made the cookie changes, I believe he changed the prefix being used - so you still have your original cookies stored on your pc, which *can* be read, and you have the new cookies stored, which *can* be read. Please clear your browser cookies, log back on to the site, and see if you are still having issues (both with signing out, which should be resolved, and with being logged in anonymously)."

To summarize: don't use the "clear cookies" feature on the Invision board; actually go into your browser and clear them from there. I tried it, and logged out successfully. We'll see if the "signed on anonymously" problem remains.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The quote option for replying doesn't function. If I select a quote and then open the add reply screen, it is blank.

Hmm, I just replied to this post by clicking the quote option (which made the box turn red and display a minus sign), and then Add Reply. Maybe you can PM me more details?

The quote option for replying doesn't function. If I select a quote and then open the add reply screen, it is blank.
Hmm, I just replied to this post by clicking the quote option (which made the box turn red and display a minus sign), and then Add Reply. Maybe you can PM me more details?

It works in IE but not in firefox. Details:

1) click on the "Quote" button of the post(s) you want to quote

2) click on "Add Reply" below posts

3.IE) the form is displayed, with each post you selected quoted

3.FF) the form is displayed, with nothing quoted

It works in IE but not in firefox.

Have you confirmed this with both freshly-restarted browsers? I've noticed that under Safari on the Mac, the scripting can get a little "brittle" after a while...it stopped working for me yesterday until I exited and restarted my browser. Not sure whether this is the result of bad javascript, bad architecture, or a bad interpreter implementation, but sometimes it happens to me with other script-dependent sites too, not just dr.com

For some reason I now need to log in every time I go to dr.com, even when "remember me" is checked. It started a couple of days ago, and is true in both Safari and Firefox.

ETA: It happens in Firefox if I shut down and relaunch. In Safari, it happens if I just navigate to a different site, without closing the window or logging out of Safari.

I just changed my avatar, yet don't see the change on board. I sent a query to mktye who reported seeing the new image, but I still don't, even after refreshing the page. I don't know how differences between browsers or PC/Mac systems could be a factor.

ETA: Problem resolved. Aren't you glad?

Ok, this morning it's hit a new low. Not only did it not remember my login from yesterday, it can't even remember my login when I move from one topic to another. I've logged in about 5 times already, and I fully expect it to kick me out again after I finish posting.

I was just on the phone with a member who was having trouble sending PMs - she'd attempt to send one, and then get an error message.

We figured out that she needed to delete her cookies in her browser (not just on this website). So if you're having trouble with signing in, or sending PMs, clear all your cookies (not just your dr.com cookies), and try again.

Invision and I have been working on a problem where I keep getting logged in as anonymous every time my session is idle for five minutes (which is probably why you haven't seen me on the board as much lately, even though I've been here). Invision is trying some things with cookie settings, and when they change things, sometimes it affects everyone I'm afraid, so if anything weird happens to your session, that's the first thing you should try doing. I'll let you know when all this is resolved, but I think it's safe to say that this will be the status quo for at least the next few days.

More as I hear it,

Rocks.

We figured out that she needed to delete her cookies in her browser (not just on this website). So if you're having trouble with signing in, or sending PMs, clear all your cookies (not just your dr.com cookies), and try again.
You know, clearing all your cookies to address a problem with a single website seems really unacceptable to me. As a computing professional, I must say that if I took this sort of approach in my job I wouldn't have my job very long. So, because Invision doesn't seem to know what they're doing, I have to clear all the bank-account information I have stored for the websites of all the businesses I do business with? It's rather a pleasure to use egullet nowadays, since they haven't gone to this new Invision release and everything works. What wonderful new features did we get with the Invision upgrade that make all these ridiculous bugs (or, in some cases, "features") worth the trouble?

You can set Firefox browser to automatically clean out cookies, etc., when you close the browser. Click tools->options->privacy, and there are options for cookies and options for other private data. You can also just remove private data on the fly, click tools->clear private data.

Would that Internet Explorer was as user-friendly on this function.

I am a fanatic about removing cookies, temp files, temporary internet files, and clearing cache, because many sites set tracking cookies, and these slow the browser down, as is well known, but many people find this an annoying chore like brushing and flossing after every meal. They know they should but they just don't. The best firewall in the world won't do it for you.

I just deleted my younger son's user account on this computer, a scan showed he had tracking cookies in his account, but he didn't to tell me his password but agreed to let me delete the account instead. I imagine many people don't realize that other accounts can accumulate these items where you can't get to them easily.

My big issue with Invision is the gobbledy-gook that pops up from time to time, which goes away with refreshing the screen once or twice. This is probably a flaw in the new Firefox, actually. The old Firefox didn't do it.

No browser is perfect, and if any other computer program is ideal, I haven't seen it.

I like the way Invision lets you create conversations that can go on indefinitely, dropped and picked up, by different people, over years. This is a good format.

Never seen it do this before: main page shows new post in the Intrepid Traveler forum, NYC thread, from JLK at 9:29 pm tonight. The thread itself shows a new post from JLK at 9:29 pm (on speakeasys). BUT the Intrepid Traveler forum shows no new posts in that thread since 2:25 pm yesterday, even if I reload, and even if I open the forum URL in a completely different browser.

Something in the database (or perhaps about the database) seems to have gotten outta sync.

Am noticing that viewing a page of a thread no longer loads all of the posts, just the first one, and then a list of replies with a short snippet of what was posted. Is this a new "save some bandwidth" feature, or is this some setting that inadvertently got tripped? (or is it a figment of me being awake this early?)

Am noticing that viewing a page of a thread no longer loads all of the posts, just the first one, and then a list of replies with a short snippet of what was posted. Is this a new "save some bandwidth" feature, or is this some setting that inadvertently got tripped? (or is it a figment of me being awake this early?)
;) Not happening for me in Safari.

It sounds like you're in Outline mode. Try scrolling up on the screen to the top of the thread, click on Options on the upper right (under AddReply and NewTopic) and under Display Modes, click Switch to Standard. Maybe that will fix the problem you're seeing?

It sounds like you're in Outline mode. Try scrolling up on the screen to the top of the thread, click on Options on the upper right (under AddReply and NewTopic) and under Display Modes, click Switch to Standard. Maybe that will fix the problem you're seeing?
Yeah, it sounds like he's somehow gotten into outline mode.

That's probably it...display is fine here at work. Will try that setting when I get home, thanks.

Way back somewhere on this board the fact that the spell checker doesn't work when using Safari on a Mac was discussed. Tonight, while writing another post I misspelled a word (shocker, I know) and a little red line appeared alerting me to this fact. While I am thrilled with this new turn of events, I can't figure out how to find the corrected version of the word. It doesn't just pop up like in Word. Help :blink:

Way back somewhere on this board the fact that the spell checker doesn't work when using Safari on a Mac was discussed. Tonight, while writing another post I misspelled a word (shocker, I know) and a little red line appeared alerting me to this fact. While I am thrilled with this new turn of events, I can't figure out how to find the corrected version of the word. It doesn't just pop up like in Word. Help :blink:
Try holding the CTRL key down while clicking on the word in edit mode. I'm using Firefox on a Mac, and that works for me.

Anybody else notice that posts are no longer marked "Today" but instead with the full date? Somebody trip over the clock, or was this a deliberate change as part of some upgrade?

[Oops, sorry - I was playing around with that a few days ago and forgot to change it back. I'll do that now.]