Problems with the New Invision Version Upgrade

DonRocks

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of javascript errors in Firefox 2.0 on Windows (none show up in IE). Some of the frequently showing up ones:

ipsmenu is not defined

ipb_skin_url is not defined

show_inline_messages is not defined

topic_rate is not defined

i don't see any glaring functionality bugs as a result of these, but it's a sign that somebody doesn't know what they're doing (or just didn't test on FF at all). and who knows, maybe there are new functionality things missing that i just don't notice.

edited to add:

Ok so yea, these are actual problems. none of the fancy drop-down menus that you see in IE show up in ffox, and if you click on the username ("view member profile" in the dropdown after you click on a user's name in IE), the page you go to doesn't have any content on any of the tabs "topics", "posts" etc are all broken.

One more:

quick edit doesn't work in FF. you click submit and it doesn't submit.

Ok so yea, these are actual problems. none of the fancy drop-down menus that you see in IE show up in ffox, and if you click on the username ("view member profile" in the dropdown after you click on a user's name in IE), the page you go to doesn't have any content on any of the tabs "topics", "posts" etc are all broken.

One more:

quick edit doesn't work in FF. you click submit and it doesn't submit.

Just wanted to add that some of the FF issues are apparently dependent on the version. I use FF 1.5.0.8 (Windows) and all those things work fine (the last time I looked :D and I guess I'd better not update my version of FF!). Still no spell check though...

One problem I do have is saving copies of sent PMs. I get a message that my storage limit is exceeded and it most certainly is not. The funny part is that it only happens when I try to save messages sent to certain members. With other members, the function works fine. :P

Just wanted to add that some of the FF issues are apparently dependent on the version. I use FF 1.5.0.8 (Windows) and all those things work fine (the last time I looked :D and I guess I'd better not update my version of FF!). Still no spell check though...

One problem I do have is saving copies of sent PMs. I get a message that my storage limit is exceeded and it most certainly is not. The funny part is that it only happens when I try to save messages sent to certain members. With other members, the function works fine. :P

This new version is so smooth and techy that it discourages old people from posting. AARP would not be down with this.

1. The "my friends" thing didn't seem to work for me, reminding me of the old "Friends of the Friendless" episode of "I Love Lucy."

2. Sometimes I have to log on to the board, sometimes I don't, and it does not matter if I've checked "remember me."

3. I'm no longer notified by email when I receive PMs despite having checked the box that says "send a notification email when I receive a new private message."

4. Note: These issues occur whether I'm at work, where we use IE or at home, where I use FF.

2- No explanation of the "My Friends" button on top of menu
I clicked on that, and it said, "There are no friends to display." It appears that history repeats itself, because that's what happened when I got divorced. So, notwithstanding my sons' allegation that I am "roadkill on the information superhighway," it appears that Invision is more prescient than I had imagined.

OK, now I'm getting logged out while I'm logged in. I walked away from the computer while I had my browser up and was looking at posts on this board. When I came back, I'd been logged out.

I just got a message from Invision at 2:30 saying they updated the cookie settings, and that the "log out" problem should be fixed. Can everyone try logging in now and see if you stay logged in?

I just got a message from Invision at 2:30 saying they updated the cookie settings, and that the "log out" problem should be fixed. Can everyone try logging in now and see if you stay logged in?
Ah! It seems to be working okay now. I'll cross my fingers, though that might make typing harder :P

Not for me. Using IE7 it has kicked me out a few times in the last few minutes

You are a crazy man using IE7. You need to get you some Mozilla. After the initial slowness of the board I have had no problems on 3 different machines all running Mozilla Firefox and Windows XP.

I'm once more having the problem with having to log back in again.

So am I. I'm also having trouble sending PMs: I receive an error message that says I have exceeded the available storage capacity, but when I look at my inbox/sentbox, it says I've only used 21% of the available space.

I'm once more having the problem with having to log back in again.
moi aussi. Using IE on Windows XP Professional. It should come as no surprise that I had no problems this weekend using Mrs JPW's Apple with both Firefox and Safari.

When using Firefox, I would try to log in everytime I visited. The quick page would tell me I was logged in as "Sam" but when I actually got to the boards, it did not have me logged in. It kept happening, so I tried IE and I can log in

A PM I recieved last night resulted in duplicate back-to-back notification e-mails. The two e-mails have different message-IDs, but both reference the same PM id.

Occasionally, an entire topic will become briefly unreadable, with my browser not rendering any of the page and instead complaining about a server response error. This will happen whether I click the show-unread button, the topic title, a page number, etc., and always clears itself within a minute. Other topics remain readable. No obvious correlation to anyone posting at that instant.

And for some reason, when there's new content in the "Dinner" thread, clicking on the show-unread button keeps jumping me to Heather's post that starts with "Batali's recipe has no cream" which I've read several times already. ETA: it's being somewhat flaky about the unread count. I just finished catching up on all of the unread threads in Restau&Dining, and now it's showing them all as unread again. I do tend to go back using the browser's page-back button, but hitting reload to update the page has always worked in the past.

PowerBook, Safari, all latest patches.

The "Search titles only" option in the advanced search page no longer has any effect on search results. I tried both in IE and ffox, and in both "All Forums" and a specific forum. Seriously annoying, since that's how I usually do my "does this thread already exist" research.

On the upside, the javascript errors I was seeing at work don't seem to be happening here at home. Will check again tomorrow...could be one of the web development plugins I have installed at work that were complaining to begin with. Either that or they actually fixed the problems.

FYI, while I gather there's been some discussion of login-related issues given the recent forum software upgrade, I haven't been following that, so maybe everything I'm about to say is redundant. But that's never stopped me before. (-: (Oh, wait, I'm posting this here, so I guess I'm at least somewhat up to date now, though the problems I read here didn't sound like an exact match for what I was seeing.)

So I noticed I was having problems logging in last night and this morning, using Firefox 1.5.0.8. I'd log in (using either the Log In link on the homepage, or typing in the Username and Password fields there, didn't make a difference), and it'd say that I was now logged in as MrPorcupine, and I'd get redirected to the homepage (or I'd click on the link, both behaved the same)... and the homepage would say "Welcome Guest" (or whatever the usual guest thing is).

I fired up Internet Explorer -- oh, the indignity! -- and tried that, and it worked just fine. Hm, OK, one of two things seemed likely: it was either something that IE handles differently than Firefox, or it was because I'd never used IE to go to DR before (on that computer, I mean).

So I started poking around in the cookies I had stored for DR within Firefox. And I noticed that I seemed to have two sets of cookies: one with things like member_id, for domain 'www.donrockwell.com', and one with the same basic set of names (most notably, of course, member_id), but for domain '.donrockwell.com'.

Deleting all my DR-related cookies seems to have made it better, and now that I look, I see that there's just the '.donrockwell.com' version of the member_id cookie, and lo and behold, its value is 989.

So I'm assuming that part of the site somehow sets the www.donrockwell.com set of cookies, and the other part sets .donrockwell.com cookies. And that Firefox (and perhaps other browsers, and maybe even all browsers) will use the more-specific cookie, and that's the one that's set wrong (member_id of 0, I think I saw, but I wouldn't swear to it).

Everything I know about cookies (well, the browser kind) is probably ten years old now, so it's all vaguely half-remembered, but I figured I'd point it out nonetheless.

FYI, while I gather there's been some discussion of login-related issues given the recent forum software upgrade,<snip>

So I started poking around in the cookies I had stored for <snip>

Deleting all my DR-related cookies seems to have made it better<snip>

Everything I know about cookies (well, the browser kind) is probably ten years old now, so it's all vaguely half-remembered, but I figured I'd point it out nonetheless.

90% of all computer problems can be solved by a reboot, most of the other 10% can be solved by cleaning out the garbage in temp files (including cookies). Unfortunately, until Scott pointed it out, I didn't think of this elegant technique for software troubleshooting. D'Oh!

But it appears to be working now.

So, if you're still having problems with the login, delete your old dr.com cookies and it should work.

On the upside, the javascript errors I was seeing at work don't seem to be happening here at home. Will check again tomorrow...could be one of the web development plugins I have installed at work that were complaining to begin with. Either that or they actually fixed the problems.

I think the js errors have gone away. I disabled then enabled all my ffox plugins and the complaints seem to have stopped. Maybe the js was updated and my browser was still caching it...who knows. All is well (and for the record, I haven't seen the logout problem since Don's post on the fix)

I also have had to log in every time I go to the site despite having the 'keep me logged in' choice selected. I was just away from my computer for a little while and found I had been kicked out to guest status. I haven't tried the cookie deletion (may be beyond my technical skill level) yet. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

I also have had to log in every time I go to the site despite having the 'keep me logged in' choice selected. I was just away from my computer for a little while and found I had been kicked out to guest status. I haven't tried the cookie deletion (may be beyond my technical skill level) yet. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

I was having this same problem. Log in, then getting kicked back to guest. I deleted the donrockwell.com cookies, and now all is well again. I'm using Firefox 2.0. It's under Tools, Options, Privacy, Show Cookies.

As posted before, I am still having issues with saving sent copies of PMs:

I get a message that my storage limit is exceeded and it most certainly is not. The funny part is that it only happens when I try to save messages sent to certain members. With other members, the function works fine. :P

I don't think this requires a ticket, but it's something that seems to be different from before, and I'm trying to work around it. When you paste in (a link, an emoticon, etc.), it remains in a blue highlighted box, which makes it very easy to delete the entire thing if you don't put your cursor down in the correct place after pasting. I've learned not to close out web sites I'm pasting a URL from before the post is successfuly made, so I don't keep losing stuff.

Search is not working at all for me. When I enter my search terms and proceed, I get the usual message saying it is about to show me my results, or I can click if I don't want to wait. However, regardless of what I do, I am returned to the search page without ever seeing my results.

(With the search function inoperable, I can't determine if a new thread would be duplicative! And since I have no short-term memory, I plan to start new threads on Ray's the Steaks, Ray's the Classics, Restaurant Eve, Criticizing Restaurants, and Problems with the New Invision Upgrade.)

There is also a button on the bottom right of the main page that says Delete Cookies. It's available in the same place regardless of what computer or navigator you use.

I just did a little testing with one of my other machines, and unfortunately the Delete Cookies button does not affect the outdated "www.donrockwell.com" cookies; it only affects the current ".donrockwell.com" cookies. You'll still have to either delete those cookies by hand, or clear all cookies.