Strapped for Cash - Looking for a Romantic Dinner for Less than $100 Total, All-Inclusive

DanCole42

Where can I take my wife for a romantic dinner this Saturday and spend less than $100 TOTAL (read: $50 per person), including tax, tip, and maybe drinks?

Maybe list thread could become a list of said venues...

Evening Star Cafe, and it has outdoor seating. Sat. is supposed to be nice, so you can enjoy people watching on Mt. Vernon Ave.

Now, if you strolled off some dinner on the way to dessert at The Dairy Godmother, that would be romantic ;) .

Not sure you want to call Sonoma romantic, but my friend and I got away with $100 (pre tip) there on Monday...we split the lamb tartar, grilled prawns, a pizza, and a 3 piece cheese plate with 2 add ons (the nuts and the figs) and had 2 drinks (prosecco and beer) each. Ditch the drinks and nuts and figs and you could easily drop the price down or splurge for an extra course.

You could do something similar at Rasika (order several small plates, one entree, and a veggie side dish) and be under the $100 mark.

If you don't order wine (well you could by the glass) you can also dine at Montmartre, apps are in the $7-$10 range and entrees are in the high teens to low 20s.

Perhaps the Little Fountain Cafe in Adams Morgan?

A lot depends on whether your bread basket is your appetizer, and whether the pint of Ben & Jerry's in your freezer is your dessert. If you're willing to eat one (or two) courses, the range is much broader than if you want three courses.

Where can I take my wife for a romantic dinner this Saturday and spend less than $100 TOTAL (read: $50 per person), including tax, tip, and maybe drinks?

Dude, you're MARRIED. Romantic dinners and dating are a thing of the past. Tell her to cook you a damn meatloaf!

;)

Drop it all on wine, cheese, bread and charcouterie at Dean & DeLuca. Drive over to the FDR Memorial. Save the civics lesson for another time (though the National Recovery Act and court-packing still get my ninnies hard). Spread out a blanket on the shore of the Potomac River. Gaze longingly into one another's eyes.

Otherwise, you're pretty much SOL, though sneaking a pint of Velikoff into the restaurant and doing shots between courses can cut the bar bill considerably.

Dude, there's nothing more romantic than dinner in your own crib. Clean up, set the best table that you can, candles, mood music, the whole nine yards. Your money will go a whole lot further on a couple of bottles of good wine and good ingredients than it will in a restaurant. And if you get lucky no need to worry about finding a place. Worry about the dishes in the morning

Is there any particular place you used to go to when you were dating that would bring back happy memories and fit your other criteria? I'm not so sure of what your definition of romantic is either.

Otherwise, what about Cafe Du Parc?

Dude, there's nothing more romantic than dinner in your own crib. Clean up, set the best table that you can, candles, mood music, the whole nine yards. Your money will go a whole lot further on a couple of bottles of good wine and good ingredients than it will in a restaurant. And if you get lucky no need to worry about finding a place. Worry about the dishes in the morning
Last night I made her chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese and a bacon-sage duxelles in a Shiitake mushroom jus, served with a broccoli salad tossed with a light bacon vinaigrette and parmesan shavings. Afterwards we got it on watched Mythbusters.

Ah, marriage. ;)

Dude, there's nothing more romantic than dinner in your own crib.

I agree. One of the most romantic dinners I ever had was at Chez KN. The roommates where cleared out of the house, there was a sign on the door, a menu was printed, candlelight, music (Keith Jarrett still gets me weak in the knees). I don't remember the food... it could have been Popeye's for all I care... but it was the energy and effort that went into that evening that made it memorable. I still have the "Chez KN" sign from 50-11 years ago.

Dude, I have been officially priced off donrockwell.com (and out of DC?!) if $100 is a cheap date. In my mind, over $100 is a special occasion--$40 is a cheap date! FWIW, I'm 26, gainfully employed, and not quite married.

Does it have to be Saturday night? Menu della Sera at Dino would fit the bill Sun-Thurs--I guess that's an obvious choise for the regular dr.com reader...

Dude, I have been officially priced off donrockwell.com (and out of DC?!) if $100 is a cheap date. In my mind, over $100 is a special occasion--$40 is a cheap date! FWIW, I'm 26, gainfully employed, and not quite married.

Does it have to be Saturday night? Menu della Sera at Dino would fit the bill Sun-Thurs--I guess that's an obvious choise for the regular dr.com reader...

$40 cheap date with full dinner? How about Tallula? Eleventh Street Lounge is a viable option as well.

A-ha! Found you something. We had a lovely dinner for two at Bombay Club last night -- one app, two entrees, two drinks, and naan for $80 including tax and tip. The piano player starts at 6:30 on weeknights, not sure about Saturday. But we thought it was romantic, especially when the music kicked in.

$40 cheap date with full dinner? How about Tallula? Eleventh Street Lounge is a viable option as well.

This is a great call if you get there by 7, when the place is still quiet and fairly empty. I went there last night and got 3 small plates and 7 Chimays (;) ) during happy hour all for under $50 if you can believe that. Last night the food was not as good as it usually is, but definitely a place to head to for a great quality cheap night. Antonio can cook.

Tallula is also a nice option, but if you eat in the dining room and get a bottle of wine the meal can get pretty expensive.

OK, maybe $40 was hyerbole for dinner, drinks, and tip. But seriously, my special lady friend and I rarely spend more than $50-$60 total on a dinner out, and I don't think we're cheap--although people with chronic halitosis rarely think they have bad breath, so...

We'd spend about $60 at Simply Home on two entrees and drinks, maybe an appetizer.

There is always drinks and dessert at the top of Hotel Washington.

but then you have to have drinks and dessert at the hotel washington ;)

how about, millenium stage at the kennedy center - always free. take an elevator ride to the top level terrace; embrace one of the best views of the city. walk over to trader joe's and fill a picnic basket and proceed to the declaration of independance memorial. total cost = $50

continuing to date your wife = priceless

OK, maybe $40 was hyerbole for dinner, drinks, and tip. But seriously, my special lady friend and I rarely spend more than $50-$60 total on a dinner out, and I don't think we're cheap--although people with chronic halitosis rarely think they have bad breath, so...

We'd spend about $60 at Simply Home on two entrees and drinks, maybe an appetizer.

This is the miscommunication problem that always seems to happen when people ask for a good, less-expensive place to eat. Someone throws out $100 and others (including me) think $100 is expensive for a night out for 2. I'm more of a $30-40 is cheap person. But this is the rub, for some eating out especially for romance is not complete without the apps, drinks, and desserts. There are lots of nice places where you can do eat for around $30-40 if you only get two entrees and maybe share 1 app. To me as a youngish married guy this is a date dinner out. It is only on the special splurge that we go for the whole shebang and spend $100 or more (which is why I love RW - despite its naysayers). Now if your like me and you don't need several courses for the date, the trick for romance then is setting/decor of place - which I have to say is lacking in lots of places (usually too loud or tables too close). I recommend going for some place that is not too "hot" at the moment - a good neighborhood quiet place with good food. In Cleveland Park, higher end of price spectrum (but not breaking the bank)- I say Ardeo or even Bardeo (which is sexier) or Indique. On the lower end in CP, Nam Viet which has tables close together, but recently got a sprucing up. As I've come to learn though the key is what is "romantic" to the lady - is she into big meals, decor, or just being out (because while at home is nice - it can become routine).

If you think Thai is romantic, I'd add Bangkok 54 to your list. For Afghan, can't go wrong with Bamian. Also, if you split an appetizer and/or dessert, you might be able to do Circle Bistro, especially if you grab a table during their happy hour.

From scanning other threads, it looks like Dino's Menu della Sera would also be a good option. I have yet to eat there but plan to remedy that soon!

Through September 11th, 1789 is offering a $36 prix fixe, three-course menu, which is a wonderful deal for a restaurant where Nathan Beauchamp is cooking. You might wind up spending a bit more than that if you have wine, but that is certainly one of the necessary fuels of romance.

Vermilion is another thought (seems like the NRG locations came up a lot). You might be pushing it to come in under $100, but they do offer half portions of some of their entrees, which in my experience are quite generous servings*. With a shared dessert and a glass or two of wine, you shouldn't be too far off the mark. I'm pretty sure I had a similar meal - 2 apps, 2 entrees (one a half portion), shared dessert and 3 (total) glasses of wine - for right around $100.

You can sit at a high-top for two in the window or a cushy booth on the ground floor, or opt for the (perhaps quieter) upstairs dining room, which is all done up in romantic (signature) red/vermilion. If dining downstairs, I'd go for something on the earlier side, the bar can get kind of noisy as the evening progresses. Follow that up with a stroll through Old Town to the river ;) and you'll be all set.

* Choose anything with pasta - damn, can Chef Chittum cook some serious pasta!