AdamM

Alliance Tavern, Formerly Enology Wine Bar - Closed

I guess it's tacky to start my own topic for my own place, but I wanted a way to update people who are interested. We began the demolition yesterday, but building permits won't come through for another few months. My business partner and I are still wrestling with the design, but I am confident we can come up with something that rocks.

Since "Enology" is the American English version of oenology, we are going to be focusing on wines from the United States (Cali, Washington, Oregon, Virigina, New York, New Mexico, etc.). The same amount of wines will be poured in the neighborhood of 70. The food that accompanies the wine will be cheese, charcuterie, chocolate, and caviar. I am going to do my best to make sure all beverage/food comes from the US, but I won't sacrifice quality.

Please feel free to offer up suggestions for wines, beers, decor, etc., but I probably won't listen to them :blink:

Regards,

Adam

1) where will this wine bar be located?

2) I'll start the complaints early...do something about the noise already :blink:

Is this the place that will be opening in the former Zebra Lounge space on Macomb / Wisconsin? If so, woo hoo! I live in the neighborhood and it sounds like a great addition.

(Er, even if not, good luck with the progress and I would still try it wherever it's located...)

What no Maryland wines?!?! :blink:

Kidding, you have my blessing to not carry Maryland wines. Not that you need it.

Yes, where is the place gonna be?

Ooops! I guess I should have said that.

3238 Wisconsin Avenue NW at the corner of Macomb and Wisconsin, the former Zebra Lounge.

The food that accompanies the wine will be cheese, charcuterie, chocolate, and caviar. I am going to do my best to make sure all beverage/food comes from the US, but I won't sacrifice quality.

Please feel free to offer up suggestions for wines, beers, decor, etc., but I probably won't listen to them :blink:

Regards,

Adam

So no cooked food or desserts - just cold dishes? Are you going for more of a bar feel or a restaurant that caterers to wine? I live nearby in CP off of Conn Ave and when I pass by Bardeo, another wine bar, almost every diner has one or more of their small plates of cooked food. Not sure if that fits your business plans, but something to think about. Welcome to the neighborhood, I know we all look forward to your opening. For those who don't know this address, it is across from 2Amys and Catcus Cantina, and a door or so down from Cafe Deluxe on WI Ave.

So no cooked food or desserts - just cold dishes? Are you going for more of a bar feel or a restaurant that caterers to wine? I live nearby in CP off of Conn Ave and when I pass by Bardeo, another wine bar, almost every diner has one or more of their small plates of cooked food. Not sure if that fits your business plans, but something to think about. Welcome to the neighborhood, I know we all look forward to your opening. For those who don't know this address, it is across from 2Amys and Catcus Cantina, and a door or so down from Cafe Deluxe on WI Ave.

Thanks for your interest. Again, there will be cheese, charcuterie, chocolate, and caviar only. We have a similar business model at Veritas and it has done wonderfully. If you want dinner, it won't be at Enology.

Cheers,

Adam

Hello Again,

Well, we are very close. Today, I sat at Enology all day waiting for a health inspection that never came. Ahhh...I love the DC government. We plan on opening to the general public on June 13th, but mock service will be going on June 10th-12th.

If you are interested in joining us for mock service, please email mockservice@enologydc.com. You will receive an invitation, which you will fill out and send back. Remember that a mock service is for our staff to get "broken in." Because we are dealing with wine and not much food, checks are 50% off. Space is relatively limited, so I cannot promise everybody a seat.

Thanks,

Adam

Hello All,

I just wanted to inform you that after one awful night and two outstanding nights of mock service, we are up and running. Please come by and give us a try.

Hello All,

I just wanted to inform you that after one awful night and two outstanding nights of mock service, we are up and running. Please come by and give us a try.

I got Adam's email about Tuesday night being an awful night, but when I was there in the later part of the evening my wife and I had mostly a very nice time (with the only minor problems being few longish waits for dessert and our check).

On last Tuesday night, my wife and I had a very nice time at Enology for the first night of its 3 nights of invitation-only opening. The wine bar is a nice space split half into a cozy bar with comfy stools (with backs - always a pet peeve of mine) and a bunch of two tops and half in a more airy dining room with nicely spaced 4 tops and larger tables. The menu is similar to its sister restaurant, Veritas, with a large selection of wines by the glass, bottle, and flight including a number of dessert wine choices for drinks (plus some beers and cocktails) and a variety of cheeses, meats, flatbreads and chocolates. The staff was very friendly and pretty well informed as could be expected on opening night. Service started off well, but as the evening went on we had some significant waits for our dessert order and our check, but these seemed like opening night bugs that could easily be fixed. Looking around the room the wine flights and flatbreads seemed to be most popular. We had the a flatbread, which like all the flatbreads looks like a large uncooked pizza (1 is enough for an entree or easily shareable by 2-3 as an appetizer) . The bread is thin and very crispy - a little too tough in my opinion. The Puget Sound flatbread we had was a very nice combo of salmon, crème fraiche, snipped chives, and very thin sweet, raw red onions. Other flatbreads had different combos of cheeses, meats, and vegetables. However, I've since heard that the flatbreads may not be currently on the menu while the kitchen works out the kinks. My wife also had a small cheese plates which was pretty disappointing. First the cheeses are served on tiny, overcrowded plates with fluffy breads. Toasted bread or crackers would have been much better to spread the cheeses and to get the flavor of them. We had the purple haze goat which was really good, a camembert which we didn't like, and the fleur de lice, also a very creamy cheese which I didn't like at all, but my wife thought went well with the quince jam that came with the cheese plate. The only other accompaniment for the plate were 2 cornichons and 2 green olives. As for the wines, we each had a flight. The GM Jamie, I think, well especially knowledgable, friendly, and helpful in finding ones that fit our tastes and the flavors of the food. I had the the red "Lighter Side" which was pretty good, especially mondeuse, au bon climat, santa maria valley, california, 2006. My wife had the white Flight 3238 and really enjoyed all 3, especially the crisp, less fruity chardonnay, pine ridge, napa valley, california, 2006. We also stuck around for dessert and enjoyed a sampling of all the chocolates (6 in all) which are great 1-2 bites each. The coconut-lime was the best, followed by the caramel and the classic. The montezuma with chili peppers was fun and different, but actually too spicy for me. We had them with the "Don’t Forget the Chocolate" red dessert flight - which was hit and miss. The sherry was a bit too strong for us, but we really liked the quady elysium and other mara zinfandel (but it looks like these last 2 have been changed on the current webiste: http://www.enologydc.com

Overall a fun night. Thanks to Adam for giving us an opening deal and for bringing a new place to CP.

We had a good time here last night. The ambiance is brighter than Veritas. It has light colored decor and many windows. I had a red wine flight (the Dare to be different). The prices of the red flights on the website seem to be out of date or were a placeholder because all of the red flights on the website are listed as $10. My red wine flight was around $14 or $15. No problems with the service. Our friends had a few of the chocolates, made by J. Chocolatier.

What no Maryland wines?!?! :lol:

Kidding, you have my blessing to not carry Maryland wines. Not that you need it.

There was actually a Maryland wine in my flight -- Deep creek "watershed red," Friendsville, Maryland

Today, I sat at Enology all day waiting for a health inspection that never came.
...and the fleur de lice, also a very creamy cheese ...

Did the health inspector never get there? :lol:

Just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the regulars that have come up to visit at Enology. I'm glad you all have enjoyed yourselves and it is great to see you as well.

I wanted to update everyone on a couple of things that are new and a few that are in development.

This weekend we are rolling out a new cocktail list as well as a few new salads and amazing chocolates from J. Chocolatier.

I will be teaching a cocktail class on Dec 6th that is limited to 20 people and will cost $50.00 per person. You and your friends will learn the history of the spirits that I choose and then learn the proper way to make the best drinks possible for entertaining friends or just yourself. You will get the chance to get behind the bar and "shake and make" your own drink. Then sit and enjoy apps served at the bar and recieve a gift bag including recipies as well.

Our Pinot classes that we are giving on Sat are completly full, but we will be offering future classes alternating with mixology classes.

We will have a TV in for Election night, so you all will be able to enjoy the wine and food along with the results!! :):P:lol:

I will be installing a grill and fryer in the next few weeks, so we will be able to offer some new, unique fare in addition to our current offerings. The plates will remain small and will pair well with our beverage offerings. I am working on the menu currently and as we offer only domestic products, parts of our future menu might revolve around regional specialties of our country. I am also tweaking our flatbreads a bit and hope that you will be pleased with the results.

Catch you all later

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to having more food options too, since as I age, I find I'm not capable of drinking without some sustenance. As a neighbor I'm very glad to have Enology nearby.

Now if only we can get that damn Giant built.... :lol:

As a bonus to any guest that likes any of our wines, and may want to give a bottle to a friend, or have it for dinner on another night, I am offering the ability to purchase a bottle at 25% off and seal it unopened for your future consumption.

Thanks Chris - great post. But I wanted to point out that the new "doggy bag law" permits only a "partially consumed bottle" to be removed from a restaurant. I'm not 100% certain (though perhaps Dean Gold or Mark Slater or someone else on the board is) but I don't believe existing DC ABC laws allow an unopened bottle to be removed from a restaurant, bagged or otherwise.

Thanks Chris - great post. But I wanted to point out that the new "doggy bag law" permits only a "partially consumed bottle" to be removed from a restaurant. I'm not 100% certain (though perhaps Dean Gold or Mark Slater or someone else on the board is) but I don't believe existing DC ABC laws allow an unopened bottle to be removed from a restaurant, bagged or otherwise.

I initially had the same question, but when I contacted ABRA , they said it appeared to be OK, as long as the bag was sealed and had the reciept in there. But then again..one never really knows in DC

I initially had the same question, but when I contacted ABRA , they said it appeared to be OK, as long as the bag was sealed and had the reciept in there. But then again..one never really knows in DC

They gave you incorrect info - shocking! Here is a link to the RAMW website containing a FAQ on point.

http://www.ramw.org/Legislation/Issues-Was...y-Bags-FAQ.html

More importantly, the language of the legislation is clear. Click on the link for Bill#: B17-0528 on this link to read the statute.

http://www.ramw.org/Legislation/Issues-Washington-DC/

Of course, enforcement is a different subject.

They gave you incorrect info - shocking! Here is a link to the RAMW website containing a FAQ on point.

http://www.ramw.org/Legislation/Issues-Was...y-Bags-FAQ.html

More importantly, the language of the legislation is clear. Click on the link for Bill#: B17-0528 on this link to read the statute.

http://www.ramw.org/Legislation/Issues-Washington-DC/

Of course, enforcement is a different subject.

Thanks Mark for the info...Ah ABRA and its info :lol:

Let me rephrase myself....If one happens into Enology and just opens a bottle of wine and suddenly you get a call from Jack Bauer and you must depart...I would feel your pain and thus bag that open bottle so that you may enjoy it at a later time :)

Thanks Mark for the info...Ah ABRA and its info :lol:

Let me rephrase myself....If one happens into Enology and just opens a bottle of wine and suddenly you get a call from Jack Bauer and you must depart...I would feel your pain and thus bag that open bottle so that you may enjoy it at a later time :)

Real men finish their wine on premises... click.

First trip to Enology! It was great to catch up with Chris, as always, and I liked the space.

Hits for me included wine flights, the excellent peppered salami and the cheese selection. I also liked my arugula salad, however it was huge. We weren't crazy about the two flatbreads, unfortunately. We were expecting a thinner, perhaps crisper, crust and they were so heavy with cheese.

Chocolate truffles were a great way to finish the night. We had a salted caramel each plus a white chocolate with olive oil and one chocolate with clove.