Preshow Dining Near Wolf Trap

DanCole42

Why not take a picnic and a bottle of wine? Wolf Trap has a very nice lawn, and liberal policies about what you can bring.

Completely agree! There's a Whole Foods on 123 to get wine and cheese etc. Then again, you could pick up a bucket of the Colonel's best and head up Beulah Rd to the park!

Why not take a picnic and a bottle of wine? Wolf Trap has a very nice lawn, and liberal policies about what you can bring.
I always picnic at Wolf Trap. This time, though, we've opted for actual seats! I discussed picnicking in one of the many lawned areas BEFORE the show, but my party apparently wants a restaurant! :lol:

I always picnic at Wolf Trap. This time, though, we've opted for actual seats! I discussed picnicking in one of the many lawned areas BEFORE the show, but my party apparently wants a restaurant! :lol:

Check out Bazin's on Church-in Vienna, just off Rt. 123 and close to WT. A recent meal there was quite good-but I'd tell them about your time parameters because the service was a bit off pace. Scallops and pork chops were highlights.

Check out Bazin's on Church-in Vienna, just off Rt. 123 and close to WT. A recent meal there was quite good-but I'd tell them about your time parameters because the service was a bit off pace. Scallops and pork chops were highlights.

I agree that Bazin's on Church (corrected link) is probably your best bet. For something different, and about 5 minutes further away, you could try Sunflower Vegetarian restaurant, which is on Rt 123 near Nutley Street.

Many, many, many moons ago, I remember having a nice dinner at Aarathi Indian Cuisine in Vienna prior to a show at Wolf Trap. As I recall, there's a back road that cuts right up from 123 to Wolf Trap. I don't see a thread on the place, any recent visits by anyone out there?

Many, many, many moons ago, I remember having a nice dinner at Aarathi Indian Cuisine in Vienna prior to a show at Wolf Trap. As I recall, there's a back road that cuts right up from 123 to Wolf Trap. I don't see a thread on the place, any recent visits by anyone out there?

That's Beulah Rd. and a much better way to go-you just have to be sure you know what you're doing with a couple zigs here and zags there. Paya Thai for Thai, duh, and Anita's for Mexican.

Wu's Garden for Chinese.

I'm reviving this old thread to seek more current recommendations for good carryout or even better restaurants close by Wolf Trap for pre-show dining. One special caveat - we are going to a show tonight, Monday, and another in a few weeks also on a Monday - when many restaurants are closed.  Please share suggestions. Thanks.

9 hours ago, KeithA said:

I'm reviving this old thread to seek more current recommendations for good carryout or even better restaurants close by Wolf Trap for pre-show dining. One special caveat - we are going to a show tonight, Monday, and another in a few weeks also on a Monday - when many restaurants are closed.  Please share suggestions. Thanks.

7 hours ago, lion said:

For carry out, Chase the Submarine or The Pure Pasty are good. Restaurants are too numerous without other criteria to narrow it down.  

The location "sort of" narrows it down - there is *nothing* on that exit of the Dulles Toll Road, which leaves you with Tysons Corner (closer in) or Reston (further out).

Don't forget, if you have lawn seats, you can bring-your-own food and drink: Details are here - if you have seats in the pavilion, you cannot.

11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Don't forget, if you have lawn seats, you can bring-your-own food and drink: Details are here - if you have seats in the pavilion, you cannot.

Well, yes and no.  If you have pavilion seats, you can bring your own food and drink.  You just have to consume it on the lawn or in the picnic areas before you enter the pavilion (which is what we do if it's not raining).  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jpbloom said:

Well, yes and no.  If you have pavilion seats, you can bring your own food and drink.  You just have to consume it on the lawn or in the picnic areas before you enter the pavilion (which is what we do if it's not raining).  

Same. 

We always get pavilion seats, but always bring food and drinks and blankets and have a picnic on the lawn, and then go down to the seats. 

51 minutes ago, jpbloom said:

9 minutes ago, Bart said:

Same. 

We always get pavilion seats, but always bring food and drinks and blankets and have a picnic on the lawn, and then go down to the seats. 

As long as I have your attention, :) it would be great it someone would start a thread on Ovations, Wolf Trap's restaurant, in the Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining Forum, or even the concession stands (it can be a "Dining at Wolf Trap" thread).

Also, the Ovations page links to a few nearby restaurants, though given that Society Fair is listed, I question whether or not it's paid advertising.

This will not help KeithA, in that Clarity is closed on Mondays, but it is (hopefully) worth noting that Clarity is promoting its rollout of "Clarity Summer Concert Baskets", starting on June 23.  No details as to contents or pricing as of yet (that I could find). 

Thanks for the responses. On Monday, we ended up at nearby Shamshiry. We ate there, but you could easily get kabobs to go and make a picnic at Wolf Trap.  Regarding the lack of drinks in the Pavilion, we didn't read the prominent signs closely and just before the show bought a cocktail and then we're told to drink it on the lawn, d'oh.

Shamshiry was good - it was our first time there and we enjoyed it. We also read the room and had a helpful waitress to guided us to the half-rice, half-salad option so we got some veggies and weren't served our weight in rice. We split a chicken kabob and filet steak/barg combo with half rice (paid the few bucks extra for the sweet orange peel and nuts polo) and half shirazi salad. When you add in the free, super thin pita-like bread, we had an ample meal for two. If you were extra hungry maybe add a 3rd kabob. We still took home a bunch of bread, part of the salad, and half pound of rice (good eats the next day).  Not sure where we will go in a few weeks, when we head back on another Monday night - but we have lawn seats so probably try to grab something and make a picnic.

On 6/17/2016 at 11:31 AM, KeithA said:

Thanks for the responses. On Monday, we ended up at nearby Shamshiry. We ate there, but you could easily get kabobs to go and make a picnic at Wolf Trap.  Regarding the lack of drinks in the Pavilion, we didn't read the prominent signs closely and just before the show bought a cocktail and then we're told to drink it on the lawn, d'oh.

Shamshiry was good - it was our first time there and we enjoyed it. We also read the room and had a helpful waitress to guided us to the half-rice, half-salad option so we got some veggies and weren't served our weight in rice. We split a chicken kabob and filet steak/barg combo with half rice (paid the few bucks extra for the sweet orange peel and nuts polo) and half shirazi salad. When you add in the free, super thin pita-like bread, we had an ample meal for two. If you were extra hungry maybe add a 3rd kabob. We still took home a bunch of bread, part of the salad, and half pound of rice (good eats the next day).  Not sure where we will go in a few weeks, when we head back on another Monday night - but we have lawn seats so probably try to grab something and make a picnic.

So you were at the Flight of the Conchords show too? What fun!

Thanks for reviving this thread as we often have the same question/issue. We want good food nearby, but it is often a pain in the butt to get near Wolf Trap, find a place to eat, eat dinner, and then get to the hell that is wolf trap parking and get to our seats, usually right after work on a weeknight. Our caveat is we don't do the lawn there anymore - I have a bad back, so we never really picnic. We opted for Turmeric again this time.