What Do You Eat When Under The Weather?

Anna Blume

nothing. came home w salmon fillet to cook in leftover salsa verde. microwaved rice. plated w diced mix of summer squash.

suddenly ravenous appetite turned into nausea. :lol:

is there a stomach bug going around or...?

what do you nibble on or sip when under the weather and feeling like you can't remain vertical?

nothing. came home w salmon fillet to cook in leftover salsa verde. microwaved rice. plated w diced mix of summer squash.

suddenly ravenous appetite turned into nausea. :lol:

is there a stomach bug going around or...?

what do you nibble on or sip when under the weather and feeling like you can't remain vertical?

Ginger Ale. Very cold. Feel better!

I believe there is a stomach thing going around. The worst lasts about 24 hours. Nausea, fever, stomach cramps, gas and other issues... I had it and I didn't want to eat anything.

I did coke, crackers and tylenol. Got it sunday evening, worst was Monday and by Wednesday the worst had pass but man was I tired. My first meal was soup (light chicken broth).

I did coke
:lol:

I remember there was a horrible bout of norovirus going around about 18 months ago. I got it, my wife got it, and most of the Washington Capitals got it.

24 hours of vomiting, diarrhea, and exhaustion. The exhaustion was horrible. You just feel completely drained and just want to sleep, but you can't, because your cramps hurt so badly and you need to get to the toilet.

Tuesday night into Wednesday morning of this week I woke up with minor cramps and a definite sense of nausea. I was salivating heavily like my body was getting ready to vomit, but I managed to hold it in. I was totally exhausted throughout the day, but went to work and pulled through enough to have delicious tomatoes stuffed with wild mushrooms and lavender goat cheese for dinner. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a minor case of the thing (either a less virulent strain or else my body has improved defenses over the previous time).

If I happen to have some, I heat up some veal stock and eat that with a little brunoise of vegetables. I think the gelatin "coats, soothes, and relieves" as they say. Depending on the ailment, an occasional shot of Angostura or other bitters also helps.

For the regular "sickies," I always gravitate toward ginger ale and soup. I know I'm feeling better when I can put crackers in the soup without feeling wonky.

Strangely enough, after EVERY surgery I've had (and I've had MANY), my first impulse is, "I want McDonald's!" There's something about waking up from anesthesia that makes me jones for greasy fast food and its strange comforting qualities. Sadly, I never seem to remember that there's a reason the nurses warn you to go easy on your stomach after being put under--I usually end up feeling nasty a few hours later and then not eating again for a while. Slow learning curve. :-)

Ramen noodles. Saltines. And, if I sound pitiful enough and my friend feels sorry for me, a rotisserie chicken. The most time- and energy-consuming item is the ramen noodles: three minutes over the stove and back to bed. All three have a high sodium count; sorta forces me to drink more fluids.

Strangely enough, after EVERY surgery I've had (and I've had MANY), my first impulse is, "I want McDonald's!" There's something about waking up from anesthesia that makes me jones for greasy fast food and its strange comforting qualities. Sadly, I never seem to remember that there's a reason the nurses warn you to go easy on your stomach after being put under--I usually end up feeling nasty a few hours later and then not eating again for a while. Slow learning curve. :-)

As a fellow surgery junkie(?), I think I know why- b/c your stomach is totally empty and darn it, you feel kinda woozy and hungover. Unfortunately I have never been able to stomach anything after coming to. Not even moving.

This is my Go To chicken soup.

Delicious, medicinal and always puts a smile on my face.

Grilled Chicken Soup with Fresh Avocado chunks, Lime & Cilantro

It takes me about 25 minutes to prepare. Knife skills are helpful.

Bring enough chicken broth to a near boil.

~ I use homemade broth frozen in cubes.

Add shredded grilled chicken (however you like it grilled, but not teryiaki).

~ I use leftover grilled chicken shredded and frozen in quart-size freezer bags.

~ To add color and flavor - I might first sauté the shredded grilled chicken in a small amount of olive oil.

Add the chicken to the broth and simmer for a few minutes until chicken is thoroughly heated.

Add grated fresh ginger to taste.

Add carrot, potato and squash medium diced (1/2 inch squares).

~ Add the ingredient that takes the longest to cook first then wait a minute or two before adding the next ingredient and so on.

~ carrot

~ potato

~ squash

Simmer.

In ten minutes - more or less - when the veggies are al dente - add sea salt to taste and and a goodly amount of freshly ground pepper.

Ladle into a proper soup bowl.

Toss in a small handfull of chopped fresh cilantro.

Slide in six or more cubes of fresh avocado (one inch or so cubes).

Squeeze a wedge of lime over the soup, then garnish with another wedge of lime.

Splash a few shakes of your favorite not too smokey hot sauce.

On-the-side options: Croutons and grated cheese, like Grand Queso or Oaxaca cheese.

The anticipation of this soup perks me up prior to the first soul satisfying slurp.

Be well.

Hmm, that same intestinal bug must have been going around Maine at the same time, no doubt imported by some of you DC tourists.

I'm a big fan of the BROAT diet in those circumstances - Bananas / Rice / Oatmeal / Apple Juice / Toast. THough I often skip the last two because thay're so boring.

Hmm, I think that really means I'm a fan of the BRO diet.

Chicken soup is good when I have a cold, but I don't find it appealing when a stomach bug is in play.

The BF commented last night that pho probably has unimaginable restorative qualities. Thankfully he stopped short of saying it could cure cancer (although I'm convinced he thinks it will...) Pho 75 in Arlington will package your order to go for an extra .$50. Only downside is that you give up unlimited sriracha and plum sauce.

The BF commented last night that pho probably has unimaginable restorative qualities. Thankfully he stopped short of saying it could cure cancer (although I'm convinced he thinks it will...) Pho 75 in Arlington will package your order to go for an extra .$50. Only downside is that you give up unlimited sriracha and plum sauce.

Oh man I second that.

Very similar to pho, one Chinese restaurant in Atlanta I would frequent with friends in the winter because of it's beef noodle soup [and other northern Chinese delicacies, but the soup was a highlight]. Nothing was more soothing when sick.

Spicy beef noodle soup from A&J, with wide noodles.

For either physical woes or stress woes I usually turn to Ma Po Tofu, extra spicy. The combination of the spiciness and the soul-satisfying tofu/umami-ness always makes me feel better.

If I am not in a Chinese mood, the back-up is Tom Young soup with chicken.

Eating it right now unfortunately. Egg noodles in chicken broth that is seasoned liberally with rice wine vinegar and cherry peppers--habanero hot sauce optional. It clears out my sinuses and the heat feels like it gives me a little shot of energy, which is exactly what I want after laying on the couch for a day.

The best part is that beyond this soup having positive effects on me, my wife absolutely hates the smell of it. She may be right--it may be disgusting, but it's mine and I know that if I have leftovers, they will stay in the fridge until I want them again.