dr.com 2009 Autumn Picnic

agm

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All right folks. We're almost one month out. Anyone marked their calendars?

I'm updating to say that I'll be bringing Tuscan chicken-liver pate with crostini and Mom's drippy shrimp (pickled shrimp with onions and capers, a childhood favorite dish -- it's great on rye bread if any of the bakers out there want to contribute!)

I can't wait to hear who else is coming. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here what you're thinking about bringing!

*Determining wine to bring to cull.

sort Wine (D).

fre Wine.

CREATE Cull=0.

IF (Wine = 'Want to show off') Cull = 1.

IF (Wine = 'Random') Cull = 2.

IF (Wine = 'Need a reason to open'') Cull = 3.

IF (Wine = 'Interesting') Cull = 4.

IF (Wine = 'Crap that should have been poured down the sink 5 years ago') Cull = -2.

CREATE Bring = 0.

IF (Cull> 0) Bring = 1.

EXECUTE.

Under Misc. I will bring my new wife....

Yep, that's all sorts of win. :rolleyes:

Scott, I have you down for the remainder of the paper goods too, but I am happy to take them off your hands in advance so you needn't arrive super-early. After all, you'll still be in post-nuptial celebratory mode! Up to you.

Yay! picnic is on!-this is the only weekend in Oct. I'll have support (&I'm sure my lacrosse player will want to skip her games). I'll be there early to help out, can bring stove, canopy, asstd. stuff-I plan on cooking some pulled pork, & some sort of veggie side dish. Thank you, Leigh, for stepping up to the plate...(&I LOVE pickled shrimp-another reason to be there early!)...Thistle/Linda

I'd love to join, but between working at the Dupont market until 2:30 on Sundays and relying on public transportation, it could prove difficult. I'm already brainstorming something to bring though, and with all the ingredient options at the market, I should be able to come up with something good. So hopefully I'll be able to make it.

**wub** I believe gebaby and I will be there. Will there be a deep fryer there again? Or can someone bring a deep fryer? This is relevant to the dish I want to bring...

Sorry, I brought the fryer stand and propane last time, but I can't make it to this one.

Welcome to the Friday Picnic Roundup, your one-stop shop for finding out who's coming, what's on the menu, and why you should absolutely join in the fun!!!*

leleboo +1 (?) -- tuscan chicken-liver pate w/crostini; drippy pickled shrimp; maybe an orzo salad w/roasted artichoke hearts and pine nuts

Scott Johnston and cucas87 +1 -- veggie torte; eggs (deviled, I believe); nametags, tablecloths, serveware, first aid kit

JPW -- wine

jparrot -- wine

goodeats +1

dancole42 +1

thistle +3 (I think?) -- pulled pork; a veggie side dish; propane grill, camp tables, canopy

GennaroE

lackadaisi +2

hm212 +2

DanielK +3

TheMatt -- pressure-cooker cheesecakes

Kibbee Nayee +1

Brian Robinson of Restaurant 3 -- chef surprise dish #1

(I haven't noted the adult-to-child ratio; I will break that out as we get a little closer.)

Don't worry if you don't (or don't want to) cook; buy your favorite snack and just show up -- the more, the merrier. :) We also need beverages (alcoholic and non), more tableware (I'll put in a plug for recycled or reusable on behalf of my enviromental-lawyer-wannabe husband), :huh: and anything you think would be fun to have at a picnic -- hey, how about some newlyweds?:rolleyes:

Feel free to post here or to PM me if you have any questions/concerns/requests about food, drink, or transportation!

~Leigh

*So many exclamation points and emoticons! Is it the coffee? Did I color-code my spreadsheet by type of dish? Come to the picnic and find out!

^ Please *do* post if you need a ride or be picked up from a metro station. Although it may not always work, it has worked for some in the past, getting carpools together or whatnots to the picnic site.

Well then...I could probably get away with leaving the market a little early, so anybody planning on leaving for the picnic around 12 and feel like picking me up, either from Dupont, or some other red line metro station? I'd greatly appreciate it, cause this sounds like it's going to be awesome.

Well then...I could probably get away with leaving the market a little early, so anybody planning on leaving for the picnic around 12 and feel like picking me up, either from Dupont, or some other red line metro station? I'd greatly appreciate it, cause this sounds like it's going to be awesome.

I'll put this on the list too, and keep reminding people!

Mini Mid-week Update:

• In addition to thistle's propane stove, agm has volunteered his turkey fryer (I'll head to his place to pick it up). Before I impose on his generosity, I'd like to know if anyone will be using it! agm points out that it's tall and narrow; for traditional frying, a wider, squatter pot would likely do better, and if we have the pot and enough oil, the burners on thistle's stove should get the job done. So please post or PM me if you want the turkey fryer to make an appearance at the picnic!
    Secondly, we have one ride request thus far (GennaroE, coming from Dupont or any Red Line metro station). Please post or PM me if you [a] need a ride or can provide one, along with your general geographical area -- and I'll see what I can do!

Every time I look at my spreadsheet I start to get hungry ... can't wait for October 25th to be here.

Who else is in? :rolleyes:

~Leigh

Well, now that there is a fryer, I am set to make crab rangoons to deep fry on the spot. And probably a dessert or something else in the works.

Great! My summary post over the weekend will indicate how many/what type(s) of fryer we will have.

Ah, Saturday! I love Saturday, because I get to spend quality time with my handy-dandy spreadsheet and provide an update on the picnic attendance list and menu-in-progress that you've been hungering for...

• leleboo +1 (?) -- tuscan chicken-liver pate w/crostini; drippy pickled shrimp; maybe an orzo salad w/roasted artichoke hearts and pine nuts
  • Scott Johnston and cucas87 +1 -- veggie torte; eggs (deviled, I believe); nametags, tablecloths, serveware, first aid kit
  • JPW -- wine
  • jparrot -- wine
  • goodeats +1 -- crab rangoon; some form of dessert
  • dancole42 +1
  • thistle +3 (I think?) -- pulled pork; a veggie side dish; propane grill, camp tables, canopy
  • GennaroE -- Suppli al Telefono [may need a ride from a Red Line metro station]
  • lackadaisi +2
  • hm212 +2
  • DanielK +3
  • TheMatt -- pressure-cooker cheesecakes
  • Kibbee Nayee +1
  • Brian Robinson of Restaurant 3 -- chef surprise dish; deep-fryer(s) and related paraphernalia
  • scottmfleming + 1 -- rosemary crackers with goat cheese and sausage
  • KMango +1
  • MCHoroscope +1 -- gumbo
  • Merry Mary
  • ol_ironstomach

Don't worry if you don't (or don't want/have time to) cook; buy your favorite snack and just show up -- the more, the merrier. :(

We also still need beverages, particularly of the kid-friendly variety; more tableware (recycled or reusable definitely welcome); more appetizers and veggie main dishes; and toys/games that would be fun to have at a picnic. Feel free to post here or to PM me if you have any questions/concerns/requests about food, drink, or transportation!

Stay tuned for next week's installment, which will include a breakdown of the numbers of adults and children, and a version of the list sorted by item instead of attendee.

~Leigh

My wife and I might be in Baltimore the picnic weekend & are thinking of driving down for this. That is, if you'll have us :P I mean, who could doubt that a jaded food board veteran from Brooklyn would be a fun addition to the event? :(

If you manage to smuggle down a few pies from Brooklyn with you, nobody will object to an out-of-towner crashing the party. :D:D:D

My wife and I might be in Baltimore the picnic weekend & are thinking of driving down for this. That is, if you'll have us :P I mean, who could doubt that a jaded food board veteran from Brooklyn would be a fun addition to the event? :(

Hell yeah! Now I'm well on my way to getting full fifty state and the District participation ... :D

Not a whole lot of new information this week, y'all, but perhaps a little reminder that two weeks from tomorrow we'll be gathering in the lovely fall weather at Fort Hunt Park will spark our imaginations.

• leleboo +1 (?) -- tuscan chicken-liver pate w/crostini; drippy pickled shrimp; maybe an orzo salad w/roasted artichoke hearts and pine nuts
  • Scott Johnston and cucas87 +1 -- veggie torte; eggs (deviled, I believe); nametags, tablecloths, serveware, first aid kit
  • JPW -- wine
  • jparrot -- wine
  • dancole42 +1
  • thistle +3 (I think?) -- pulled pork; a veggie side dish; propane grill, camp tables, canopy
  • GennaroE -- Suppli al Telefono [may need a ride from a Red Line metro station]
  • lackadaisi +2
  • hm212 +2
  • DanielK +3 -- soccer stuff!
  • Kibbee Nayee +1
  • Brian Robinson of Restaurant 3 -- possible surprise dish; deep-fryer and paraphernalia
  • KMango +1
  • Merry Mary
  • ol_ironstomach
  • SteveR +1 (from Brooklyn!)

Here's a breakdown by course and dish
  • Hors d'oeuvres/finger foods:
  • deviled eggs

• rosemary crackers w/goat cheese and sausage

• tuscan chicken-liver crostini

• pickled shrimp

• crab rangoon

• suppli al telefono

• Mains -- meat/fish:
  • pulled pork

• gumbo

• Sides/Miscellaneous:
  • orzo with roasted artichokes and pignoli

• veggie torte

• undecided veggie side

• Dessert:
  • cheesecake

Don't worry if you don't (or don't want/have time to) cook; buy your favorite snack and just show up -- the more, the merrier. :( We also need beverages, particularly of the kid-friendly variety; more tableware (recycled or reusable definitely welcome); and toys/games that would be fun to have at a picnic. Please post here or to PM me if you have any questions/concerns/requests about food, drink, or transportation! ~Leigh

[Does anyone have a problem viewing my post of 10 October? I just noticed for me that it's showing up very oddly at work. If anyone can't read/see it correctly, please let me know and I'll repost it with less formatting.

Thanks!]

It's readable, but the mains, sides, and desserts and the last paragraph are offset a half inch and an inch further left than everything else, which is doing very strange things to the rest of the page.

[Does anyone have a problem viewing my post of 10 October? I just noticed for me that it's showing up very oddly at work. If anyone can't read/see it correctly, please let me know and I'll repost it with less formatting.

Thanks!]

Things are clear in Brooklyn. Looking forward to it & to meeting several of you I know from other boards, including an ex-Denverite who just watched the Rockies go down in flames. :(

Things are clear in Brooklyn. Looking forward to it & to meeting several of you I know from other boards, including an ex-Denverite who just watched the Rockies go down in flames. :(

Eep! My baseball affiliations don't seem to have any representation here, which is just fine with me. :P

I (LaShanta Harris) and my husband of only 2 years (Kamau Harris) will be there too. I will bring some type of pumpkin dessert (probably a cake) and a sweet potato pie...maybe 2 pies.

I haven't seen you guys in soooo long. I am soooo excited!!!

Great!

It's readable, but the mains, sides, and desserts and the last paragraph are offset a half inch and an inch further left than everything else, which is doing very strange things to the rest of the page.

Yeah -- and it wasn't like that in either of my home browsers. Will attempt to fix if I have time. Thanks!!

A bit of new info, too!

• JPW -- wine
  • jparrot -- wine
  • dancole42 +1
  • lackadaisi +2
  • hm212 +2
  • DanielK +3 -- soccer stuff!
  • Kibbee Nayee +1
  • Brian Robinson of Restaurant 3 -- possible surprise dish; deep-fryer and paraphernalia
  • KMango +1
  • Merry Mary
  • ol_ironstomach
  • SteveR +1 (from Brooklyn!)
  • LaShant +1 -- pumpkin cake, sweet potato pie

Here's a breakdown by course and dish.
  • Hors d'oeuvres/finger foods:
    • deviled eggs
    • rosemary crackers w/goat cheese and sausage
    • tuscan chicken-liver crostini
    • pickled shrimp
    • crab rangoon
    • suppli al telefono

• Mains -- meat/fish:
    • pulled pork
    • gumbo

[*]Sides/Miscellaneous:

• orzo with roasted artichokes and pignoli
    • veggie torte
    • undecided veggie side
  • Dessert:
    • cheesecake
    • pumpkin cake
    • sweet potato pie

Don't worry if you don't (or don't want/have time to) cook; buy your favorite snack and just show up -- the more, the merrier. :( We also need beverages, particularly of the kid-friendly variety; more tableware (recycled or reusable definitely welcome); and toys/games that would be fun to have at a picnic. Please post here or to PM me if you have any questions/concerns/requests about food, drink, or transportation! ~Leigh

including an ex-Denverite who just watched the Rockies go down in flames. :(

Woohoo! Go Phils!

And, to keep this on topic, I strongly encourage those of you with kids to bring them. There are always plenty of kid-friendly food and drinks at the picnic, and other kids running around.

In fact, if you don't have kids, you should go borrow or steal some and bring them along. It's a picnic, after all...