I honestly don't understand what you're saying here (I'm well aware that you don't like Tom, but regardless, this makes no sense).

And his random 'anonymous' slam of Brown's Cakelove makes sense to you? Backhanded compliments like "good back-story" and "easy on the eyes" make sense to you? As he lets the damning anonymous (and ridiculous) assertion stand unanswered? As a previous poster mentioned, the slam on what appears to be Nora P. was completely random (and of course he didn't have the guts to simply say who he was talking about) and brought gender into the equation. That makes sense to you? Hey, I'm just saying. The preachy, pedantic side of Alice Waters....

And his random 'anonymous' slam of Brown's Cakelove makes sense to you? Backhanded compliments like "good back-story" and "easy on the eyes" make sense to you? As he lets the damning anonymous (and ridiculous) assertion stand unanswered? As a previous poster mentioned, the slam on what appears to be Nora P. was completely random (and of course he didn't have the guts to simply say who he was talking about) and brought gender into the equation. That makes sense to you? Hey, I'm just saying. The preachy, pedantic side of Alice Waters....

Well, I don't see it as a "random slam" of Warren Brown. It was pretty straightforward, and IMO correct. And I think it's clear what he meant about easy on the eyes and back story, and it makes perfect sense to me. Full disclosure--I believe I was among the earliest who called into question the quality of Cakelove's goods, about 2-3 months after he opened the first location on U St., in a Chowhound post. I am totally convinced, and have been since then, that the reason he is fawned over by the media is those two things, not the quality of his products, which is pretty bad. I'm appalled every time I see another TV show that features him.

AS to the charge of sexism, I don't see that either. I have no idea who he was referring to, but if his choice of an example happens to be a woman, so be it. Would it have been sexist if he had alluded to a male chef? Why should it be if he alludes to a female? In fact, forgive me, but the main thing I see here that actually might be seen as sexist is the assertion that what he said was sexist.

I do wish Tom would not make these little insiderish comments. It's something he does from time to time, and it bugs me. Yes, I could tell who he was probably referring to, but I'm not his usual audience. Tom is a restaurant critic for a newspaper and should be informing the public.

Well, I don't see it as a "random slam" of Warren Brown. It was pretty straightforward, and IMO correct. And I think it's clear what he meant about easy on the eyes and back story, and it makes perfect sense to me. Full disclosure--I believe I was among the earliest who called into question the quality of Cakelove's goods, about 2-3 months after he opened the first location on U St., in a Chowhound post. I am totally convinced, and have been since then, that the reason he is fawned over by the media is those two things, not the quality of his products, which is pretty bad. I'm appalled every time I see another TV show that features him.

AS to the charge of sexism, I don't see that either. I have no idea who he was referring to, but if his choice of an example happens to be a woman, so be it. Would it have been sexist if he had alluded to a male chef? Why should it be if he alludes to a female? In fact, forgive me, but the main thing I see here that actually might be seen as sexist is the assertion that what he said was sexist.

By random I mean there was absolutely no reason for him to slam Brown at this time. In fact, he does not say that Brown's food is bad in his chat response, either, which would have been something else. He instead publishes an amateurish anonymous slam of Brown's food, and then backhand compliments him to death. If you want to put your name to a critique of Brown's food, as you claim to have, that is perfectly acceptable. But to personally slam Brown, by saying that he gets too much publicity, which is what TS has done, smacks of something else. And I agree with your last sentence, there is no gender bias (or for that matter, racism) in the restaurant industry.

By random I mean there was absolutely no reason for him to slam Brown at this time. In fact, he does not say that Brown's food is bad in his chat response, either, which would have been something else. He instead publishes an amateurish anonymous slam of Brown's food, and then backhand compliments him to death. If you want to put your name to a critique of Brown's food, as you claim to have, that is perfectly acceptable. But to personally slam Brown, by saying that he gets too much publicity, which is what TS has done, smacks of something else. And I agree with your last sentence, there is no gender bias (or for that matter, racism) in the restaurant industry.

He needs a particular reason beyond the fact that he's a food critic and it's his job to offer an opinion? I mean, if he doesn't like the food, given the attention that Brown has gotten, doesn't it go without saying that the man is getting too much attention?

Forgive me for being so bold, but it seems like you have more of an axe to grind than Sietsema does in this instance.

He needs a particular reason beyond the fact that he's a food critic and it's his job to offer an opinion? I mean, if he doesn't like the food, given the attention that Brown has gotten, doesn't it go without saying that the man is getting too much attention?

Forgive me for being so bold, but it seems like you have more of an axe to grind than Sietsema does in this instance.

I'm just saying that both statements seem childish (in particular his cringe-inducing "Cakehate"). And the statement that Brown has gotten so much attention is misleading. If you don't like him or his food, then any attention he gets will rankle.

And the statement that Brown has gotten so much attention is misleading. If you don't like him or his food, then any attention he gets will rankle.

Certainly, but it's not like he's saying something along the lines of "Michel Richard and Jose Andres get more attention than they deserve," statements that would both be implying, against popular opinion, that those two gentlemen aren't doing some special things in the DC area. Instead, he's saying that Warren Brown's baking isn't all it's cracked up to be. Many people agree. Why is it so controversial or misleading? Is there a reason that a chef or baker should be getting attention besides the quality of their goods?

I may not be tech-savvy, but I'm guessing Tom picks the chatters he chooses to publish/respond to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right. I'm sure he had another 200 absolutely vital and unique "I'm taking my father-in-law to lunch and he hates cilantro and loud music" questions he should have been answering, rather than this one.

I may not be tech-savvy, but I'm guessing Tom picks the chatters he chooses to publish/respond to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Tom gets way more questions than he can answer, so he has to choose which ones to respond to- submitions that are appropos for reasons including yield of pertinent information, interest, isn't repetative (to Waitman's point) and insight. I'm sure there's more, and I believe he has help. Are you implying that he "cherry picks" his chatters?

I've actually seen the inner workings of the Post's chat software, so I can speak to this one. What happens is that the washingtonpost.com producer looks at all the questions, then edits the questions they're going to put into the queue as necessary and puts them into the answerer's queue. Tom can then choose to answer any of the questions that are in that queue, but unless he's arranged with his producer to send him absolutely every question that's submitted, it's highly unlikely that he sees everything. So yes, he is picking the questions that are answered to a certain extent, but he's almost certainly picking from a pool that's been substantially limited.

Hi! I have a friend, who is a chef and has never been to D.C., visiting this weekend. We have plans to go to a show in the U Street area. Do you have any recommendations for dinner that will impress (price is not an issue) before the show?

Tom Sietsema: While I've had some nice food at the new Bistro La Bonne, I'm not sure the visiting chef would be interested in French food. (My hunch is, he has that back home.)

My inclination would be to point him to something more unique.... Andean tapas at the Chi-Cha Lounge?

This has me scurrying over to Chi Cha's website. I only knew of Chi Cha as a club, not a food destination. After perusing its menu, I'm very disappointed. I should just get off my ass and go to Limena or Canela.

Silver Spring, Md.: Tom, Is it acceptable for waitstaff to approach a table after the customers have paid a bill to inform the customers that their 10 percent tip is not enough and that they need fork over some cash to bump the tip up to 20 percent?

That happened to us at a Bethesda restaurant this weekend.

As a former waitress, I am a very generous tipper (usually more than 20 percent, and rarely less), but there was a major glitch with service that negatively affected our evening. It was so bad that my usually-generous friends wanted to tip even less, but I convinced them otherwise.

Have the rules changed without my knowledge? Is 20 percent now the expected tip in D.C. -- even for bad service? Besides, aren't tips optional, except for when restaurants as a policy will tack the tip on checks for large parties (ours was not).

Bitching about a 10% tip doesn't mean 20% is now expected in DC in all cases. I smell a rat....a giant rice field rat, all chopped up, tail, entrails and all, and stir-fried with lemongrass.

Q.newly adventurous father

My Dad, of all people, wants to try Dim Sum. He lives in Springfield VA and I live in the District. Can you recommend any good dim sum places in DC or VA?

– June 09, 2010 8:31 AM Permalink

A.Tom Sietsema writes:

The tiny A & J in Annandale has what you're after: small plates with major appeal.

I like the smoked chicken, mustard greens tossed with bean curd skin, tart pickled cabbage, sweetly spiced spare ribs, foot-long fried breadsticks -- and the tab. You can feast well for under $15 a person.

It aggravates me that Tom does not distinguish between Cantonese food and northern Chinese food. Willfully ignorant, imo. I can just imagine the dad bitching about "where are the carts"?

Q.Washington, DC

Tom - I have a question about doggy bags. More and more, I'm noticing that when I ask to take home my left-overs, they bring the carton for me to load it up instead of taking it in the back and loading it up. I don't particularly care that much (I usually am just going to give it to a homeless person anyway) but I notice that this is a trend, even in some pretty expensive restaurants - I was honestly more than a little surprised when it happened over the weekend at one of your favorite dc places. Is this the trend, or is it too much to expect that the server take the time to clear the plate and arrange the carry out. I'm certainly going to start noticing and tip (even) better when servers take the time to do this. Also, I would like to note a really cool trend a couple of new restaurants are doing - labeling the carryout - date and dish with a labeler so that you don't have to worry in fear about opening a container that may or may not have been in the back of your fridge for six months. Thanks!

As a former server at several restaurants (both high-end and not-so-high-end), I would strongly encourage diners to pack their own leftovers. I've seen some servers intentionally and unintentionally do some digusting things while packing leftovers in the kitchen. They're in a hurry, don't necessarily have clean tongs or whatever to transfer up your food, and gross things happen. I witnessed an incident where the server dumped the meal from the plate to the trash can, then realized that he was supposed to pack it up, so he reached in, scooped the meal out of the trash with his hands and put it in a to-go box. Bottom line, pack it yourself.

I have no problem baggin my own leftover. I imagine the leftovers get accidentally thrown out all the time. Some times the kitchen will actually prepare new "leftover" for you to take home, but it's just as likely they pick your leftover out of the trash.

I have no problem baggin my own leftover. I imagine the leftovers get accidentally thrown out all the time. Some times the kitchen will actually prepare new "leftover" for you to take home, but it's just as likely they pick your leftover out of the trash.

My leftovers generally consist of steak for the dogs, I am fairly sure that they would consider it being picked out of the trash as a bonus (extra flavor crystals).

In one of the cities where I waited tables, it was illegal to take a "consumed plate" back into the kitchen. We had to bring the containers to the table. There was no other room or way to make it work, service stations were too tiny.

Not sure if that applies anywhere in the VA/DC/MD region.

I've worked in over 10 restaurants and I have never seen anyone do anything like that. Also, I have never seen the kitchen horror stories either. When I was a wine salesman I did see it in a couple of high end restaurants. In particular, one famous chef in LA used to do many a thing I would never allow {ie using chuck for well done steaks no matter what the cut on the menu. He will go nameless as he is still active in the market.

Thanks Dean,

I get leftovers taken home a lot (sometimes for me, sometimes for the dog, sometimes for Hubby who is working late). I don't mind packaging them myself at all. I would really hate to think someone would do something bad to them, as I am generally a nice person who tips well. I would think in most service industries where word of mouth is important you would take care to make even the after-meal food good (i.e. not purposely mess them up). I really appreciated the other week when Lebanese Taverna gave me extra pita to go home with my dish, it made a great lunch the next day and is a reason I really like them. They are thoughtful and generous. I would hope any server that got caught doing something like that would be severely disciplined or let go, that is awful. Sometimes I order more than I can eat so I can take it home. That really made me horrified when I read that.

In one of the cities where I waited tables, it was illegal to take a "consumed plate" back into the kitchen. We had to bring the containers to the table. There was no other room or way to make it work, service stations were too tiny.

Not sure if that applies anywhere in the VA/DC/MD region.

Can't speak to Virginia, but there's either no law against it in DC or Maryland, or I've been a party to breaking said law more than a couple times.

I can also say that I never have (and would never consider) doing anything intentionally disgusting to your leftovers when I'm packing them, but if I'm a bit weeded, your leftovers might come out a bit more sloppy than you (or I, frankly) would like.

I generally expect the better sort of restaurant to fill the doggy bag for me. Dumping a Styrofoam container on the table and wandering off lacks elegance. Even better if the busboy wraps the leftovers in foil, which he the sculpts into an attractive bird.

Last night I went to dinner at the Source. My group of 3 was thrilled to be there. The appetizers of tuna tartar, and shumai in an uni and lobster emulsion were amazing. However, trouble arose when the entrees served. 2 of us got our entrees a solid 10 minutes before our 3rd party member got hers. The waiter knew the 3rd dish would be late and didn't tell us until after we complained. Some advance notice would have been appreciated. After the bill came our waiter offered 2 free desserts, but we told him that wasn't going to solve the issues so he graciously removed all of our entress from the bill. If the waiter had been up front with us from the beginning I may have considered going back, but it seemed like the entire time he was trying to avoid addressing the issue of the late 3rd dish. If I'm paying $38 for a dish, I certainly want it to arrive on time. Anyone else have service issues at The Source? Also, why do restaurants offer free dessert when service is bad. If I've experienced bad service, the last thing I want to do is wait even longer for another dish to come out of the kitchen.

Free entrees because 1 was 10 minutes late? Holy shit, I need to bitch more at restaurants. I don't normally order dessert so free dessert to me is a poor solution if there's a real problem.

The problem I have with this kind of posting (not Eric's but the person on the chat) is that the restaurant went above and beyond to make amends for the issue, in return they go online to screw the hell out of the restaurant, to paraphrase Sergeant Hartman from Full Metal Jacket, they don't even have the common courteously of a reach around.

10 minutes is enough time for the food to cool, and at 30+ dollars an entree, it would irritate me me to sit by and wait for everyone to get their food. It's an awkward situation, but common courtesy would call for the people with food to wait. So, 2 people eat cool food after they've stared at their plates for a while.

At that price level, I'd expect the food to come out at the same time, so I think the complaint is legit. What I disagree with is the chatter's tone. The take away is that The Source took off what I'd estimate to be around $100 off of their bill, which is huge. I'd be praising them AND planning to go back, feeling that for what was not an all-that-egregious error, the restaurant more than made amends.

Actually, I would have graciously accepted the free dessert and left it at that. The chatter comes across as one of those entitled Washingtonians that Michael Landrum describes.

but common courtesy would call for the people with food to wait. So, 2 people eat cool food after they've stared at their plates for a while.

Actually that is not the proper etiquette, if it is known that significant time would elapse or has elapsed (the amount of time is a judgment call) the person without food should insist that the others start to eat. When I find myself in the situation of being the last served, I immediately insist that others not wait and enjoy their dishes as served.

So I watch Hell's Kitchen and those dolts screw up plenty of dishes. Gordo apparently has no problem serving the food that's ready while some diners sit and wait for their dishes. I understand that's a TV show but I also understand that some times dishes get screwed up and you don't want your perfectly cooked food sitting under a heating lamp while they refire the botched dish. The alternative is to prepare new dishes for everyone, which means throwing away perfectly good food. There's no good solution to this problem.

Actually that is not the proper etiquette, if it is known that significant time would elapse or has elapsed (the amount of time is a judgment call) the person without food should insist that the others start to eat. When I find myself in the situation of being the last served, I immediately insist that others not wait and enjoy their dishes as served.

I should have said offered to wait, and yes, of course it's a judgment call depending on how much time is expected to lapse before everyone gets their food.

It's still awkward and not the game plan when you go to a restaurant. It's not even the game plan for me when I eat at another's home. I wait (and so do most people I know) until everyone has their food.

There's no good solution to this problem.

While not a perfect solution, honest communication by the server or management always helps – this is even the case when the server has no idea what happened or they need to admit a screw-up on their part.

10 minutes is enough time for the food to cool, and at 30+ dollars an entree, it would irritate me me to sit by and wait for everyone to get their food. It's an awkward situation, but common courtesy would call for the people with food to wait. So, 2 people eat cool food after they've stared at their plates for a while.

At that price level, I'd expect the food to come out at the same time, so I think the complaint is legit. What I disagree with is the chatter's tone. The take away is that The Source took off what I'd estimate to be around $100 off of their bill, which is huge. I'd be praising them AND planning to go back, feeling that for what was not an all-that-egregious error, the restaurant more than made amends.

Actually, I would have graciously accepted the free dessert and left it at that. The chatter comes across as one of those entitled Washingtonians that Michael Landrum describes.

I agree completely with this post. I think dessert was gracious and I nice way to say amends. Taking food that was clearly eaten and enjoyed (it wasn't noted otherwise) off the bill was very very gracious. I would never have posted that, and I think it is a shame that Tom posted it without a caveat that it was a very generous way to make up for it by the restaurant.

I feel like they are posting more and more things I think aren't a good judgment call to post, and then not telling diners that hey the restaurant did something very nice so shut it already.

I agree completely with this post. I think dessert was gracious and I nice way to say amends. Taking food that was clearly eaten and enjoyed (it wasn't noted otherwise) off the bill was very very gracious. I would never have posted that, and I think it is a shame that Tom posted it without a caveat that it was a very generous way to make up for it by the restaurant.

I feel like they are posting more and more things I think aren't a good judgment call to post, and then not telling diners that hey the restaurant did something very nice so shut it already.

And I agree with you! I went and read Tom's response, and he in no way defends The Source, and commiserates with the chatter, responding "Free dessert" doesn't cut it, in my opinion, because diners were still greatly inconvenienced by the late entree.

On the other hand, this is discourteous service:

Went to a small organic restaurant in Capitol Hill (will refrain from naming it) yesterday for lunch and ordered a grilled chicken wrap. When I got my wrap, I opened it up and noticed there was tofu and baked chicken in there. The menu didn't advertise tofu and the chicken was not grilled so I told the owner that I'd like something different because I was unsatisfied. His response : "It's not about satisfaction, it's about getting what you ordered." I was stunned. How does a customer respond without getting belligerent? What should the owner have said?

Hi Tom- I must comment about your love and promotion of Restaurant Eve. My husband and I celebrated my 40th birthday in the Tasting Room and we're incredibly disappointed. We went all out with the nine courses and wine pairings. While there were a few "wow" dishes, many of the dishes were under seasoned and didn't pop. There were no off menu items created by the chef. The wine pairings consisted of a lot of $30-50 bottle Virginia wines, nothing spectacular. The service was spotty and even slow at times. It was a strange coreography that didn't feel welcoming and warm at all. Plus the other tables are too close, so you hear the same dish described three or more times by the captain or wait staff plus your neighbors conversations ( or cuss words in our case). For the $700 we spent, we will not be back which is a shame because I really wanted to love it and have a special night.

This is too funny. First Kliman bitches about not enough VA wines and now we got a diner bitching about too many VA wines. Anyway, $700 on dinner at Eve? It 's $150 for the food per person (9 courses), how much is the wine pairing?

ETA:

Assuming 20% tip and 10% tax, food and drink cost is about $530, meaning they had about $230 of booze? If wine pairing is $115 pp, then the wines should be really good.

Continuing my mental masturbation....assuming restaurants usually sell wine at 3 times retail, and the total pairing is equivalent to 1 bottle of wine pp, the retail cost of the wine is only about $40. So if the wines served at Eve retails btwn $30-$50, that actually sounds about right.

Nevertheless, I guess you sort of expect perfection for $700.

This is too funny. First Kliman bitches about not enough VA wines and now we got a diner bitching about too many VA wines. Anyway, $700 on dinner at Eve? It 's $150 for the food per person (9 courses), how much is the wine pairing?

That was my first reaction too, and I loved their "nothing spectacular" quote at VA wines.

Also can I note that I have been eating out in the DC area, high and low end restaurants, since I turned about 20 with boyfriends, and now husband and am still under 30 and have never received poor service due to my age. I think it is all about your attitude. If you treat people with respect they tend to return the favor. I have had stellar service at many many places in the area and really loathe when people whine that they got treated badly because they are young. It is more likely that are rude, snotty or expect preferential treatment to others in my opinion.

I'm sure we don't have the entire story here, but perhaps their criticism is that they don't feel they received the wine value that a $700 tab would indicate. I suppose the poster is showing a bias against the quality of VA wines, but maybe they were just looking for samplings of some higher end bottles (VA, French, Cali cult cab, whatever) for their money and didn't think the $30-50 range was good enough.

Of course maybe they also neglected to mention 3 rounds of 50 year old scotch at the end of the meal :(

ETA:

Assuming 20% tip and 10% tax, food and drink cost is about $530, meaning they had about $230 of booze? If wine pairing is $115 pp, then the wines should be really good.

Continuing my mental masturbation....assuming restaurants usually sell wine at 3 times retail, and the total pairing is equivalent to 1 bottle of wine pp, the retail cost of the wine is only about $40. So if the wines served at Eve retails btwn $30-$50, that actually sounds about right.

Nevertheless, I guess you sort of expect perfection for $700.

I am not sure I would have complained about the wine pairings necessarily if they were well thought out and complimented the dishes very well. My problem with Eve was the other stuff they mentioned. Tables too close together, stand offish service, the actual table a bit deep so you have to lean in to have a conversation (assuming you don't want the tables next to you to listen and participate in your own conversation, and a mix of fodd experiences from a couple of wows, a couple of good/very goods, and the rest average, with some lacking in any real flavor.

Granted, I have been there only once since it's a schlepp from MD, so I have not been able to consider multiple experiences, eating off the normal menu, trying some of the bar concoctions, etc. It's too inconvenient for me to do so. Many people love this place, and I might too, if I went there more often and figured out what I like about the place and embrace that part of it.

I am not sure I would have complained about the wine pairings necessarily if they were well thought out and complimented the dishes very well. My problem with Eve was the other stuff they mentioned. Tables too close together, stand offish service, the actual table a bit deep so you have to lean in to have a conversation (assuming you don't want the tables next to you to listen and participate in your own conversation, and a mix of fodd experiences from a couple of wows, a couple of good/very goods, and the rest average, with some lacking in any real flavor.

Granted, I have been there only once since it's a schlepp from MD, so I have not been able to consider multiple experiences, eating off the normal menu, trying some of the bar concoctions, etc. It's too inconvenient for me to do so. Many people love this place, and I might too, if I went there more often and figured out what I like about the place and embrace that part of it.

I would make the effort to try the other offerings. I much prefer the Lickity Split or anything in the bistro to the tasting room for many of the cited reasons. And, I am generally a big tasting menu fan.

It's funny to read here what people focus on the online chats because the ID and the tasting didn't bother me as much as the complainer who wrote that every restaurant should have a their own website.

What is wrong with a phone call? Or the fact that so many restaurants that have a website don't maintain or update it? I think that defeats the purpose of having a site in the first place....

Q.

Tom, in a tweet last week you mentioned that you were having dinner with your Mentor. Word around town is you are frequently seen Don Rockwell, are you mentoring your replacement for when you move the the NYT?

– September 01, 2010 11:01 AM Permalink

A.

TOM SIETSEMA WRITES:

Actually, I was referring to a dinner I had with Phyllis Richman, who preceded me in this job. And now that the meal is behind us, I can say where we broke bread: Estadio in Logan Circle.

(For the record, I haven't had a meal with Mr. Rockwell in years. There's nothing to read into that, by the way, it's just the truth.)

Tom: Question of the day for the peanut gallery: If you're not married but nevertheless attached, do you count the first time you MET or the first DATE as your anniversary? My mate and I differ on this subject. Which means we're celebrating our third year together tonight AND Sunday. Whoo-hoo!

No idea since I am married.

No idea since I am married.

Matt and I celebrate our first date (Jan) and our wedding anniversary (May). Although this year other events kind of overshadowed our first celebration. We like the timing of the January celebration and it is right by his birthday too, so we normally go on a trip or something. Mid May always seems to be a hectic time work wise for us so it is just easier to celebrate in January when we really need a break to some warm weather too, May this year was dinner out at I forget where, not anything fancy as I recall.

Q.

Tom, in a tweet last week you mentioned that you were having dinner with your Mentor. Word around town is you are frequently seen Don Rockwell, are you mentoring your replacement for when you move the the NYT?

– September 01, 2010 11:01 AM Permalink

A.

TOM SIETSEMA WRITES:

Actually, I was referring to a dinner I had with Phyllis Richman, who preceded me in this job. And now that the meal is behind us, I can say where we broke bread: Estadio in Logan Circle.

(For the record, I haven't had a meal with Mr. Rockwell in years. There's nothing to read into that, by the way, it's just the truth.)

I just got home and saw this. Tom is correct - we haven't dined in years, and there's nothing to read into it. We ran into each other a few months ago outside of Pesce (which happens from time-to-time - two fish swimming in a pond will occasionally cross paths), and I'm always happy to see him.

Cheers,

Rocks

DOGS OUTSIDE

If people are going to bring their dogs fine, but have some courtesy people. BRING A WATER DISH!!! Carry a simple small bowl or something with you (heck you carry enough things when taking the dog out sometimes) so pack a small bowl, take your glass of water when the waiter comes by and DUMP it in there. Problem solved, common sense, people I know did this all the time. Dogs drinking out of glasses that are eventualy served to people is just wrong on so many levels...

– September 08, 2010 11:21 AM Permalink

A.

TOM SIETSEMA WRITES:

Good advice.

I'm using utensils used by other people at a restaurant and I'm not grossed out. Last time I checked, I can't get herpes from my dog but I can get it from another human. I would kiss my dog but I wouldn't kiss many people who live in DC.

I have found that many dog owners think it is perfectly OK if their adorable pet comes up to you, licks your hand, whatever. You are expected to pat it fondly and maybe even rub its tummy. I cannot stand dogs and I do not want to touch one, nor do I want one touching me. Having one sitting quietly nearby, however, would be no problem, assuming it doesn't smell terrible. But dog owners need to realize that not everyone is as enamored of your pooch as you are.

It goes the other way too. My dog is my dog, don't come pester me about what kind it is and whether you can pet it. It certainly isn't going to lick anyone it doesn't know.

DOGS AND RESTAURANTS

I don't think even "well behaved" dogs should be allowed at restaurants. And frankly people who compare dogs and children are crazy. Children are PEOPLE- dogs are animals. We were all kids at one time, but I don't think we can say the same about dogs. Here's my issue with dogs in public- my small child is deathly afraid of dogs- doesn't matter if they are small, large, quiet, whatever it's all the same to him. We have had to leave restaurants or be reseated because of this. Animals do not belong in restaurants period.

Your small child probably has serious issues - get a shrink. Hint, it probably has something to do with the parenting skills.

ONE MORE ON THE DOG ISSUE

I'm severely allergic to dogs and definitely don't want one near me when I'm eating out. Doggy dander gets everywhere, no matter how well-groomed the dog is. Do yourself (and your dog) a favor and keep them at hom

I'm not sure how keeping my dogs at home is doing them a favor. They need exercise and socialization - apparently something these humans don't understand.

I'm using utensils used by other people at a restaurant and I'm not grossed out. Last time I checked, I can't get herpes from my dog but I can it from another human. I would kiss my dog but I wouldn't kiss many people who live in DC.

It goes the other way too. My dog is my dog, don't come pester me about what kind it is and whether you can pet it. It certainly isn't going to lick anyone it doesn't know.

This really gased me up today. Not because I love my dog and think he is entitled to lick whatever he wants (he isn't and doesn't) but because just like so many other things, why can't people just live and let live. If you are afraid of dogs and a dog is on the patio, sit inside, problem solved. If you are on the patio and a dog comes on the patio and you are scared or allergic alert the manager quickly and nicely, so they can decide what to do. I don't want to cause you pain or fear. If it is far away from you and you are ok with ignoring it, do! There was a dog on my plane to Buffalo last weekend that no one even knew was there until he barked when people were exiting the plane, and everyone was just fine, no one got all huffy.

I take my dog out to neighborhood places because I like to eat out and he needs some fresh air, and he is very well behaved. Not because I want to inconvenience others or feel he is entitled to go everywhere. We always ask a restaurant nicely if they can accommodate him or go to places other pooches go.

My dog will not lick you or come up to you unless you reach down to pet him or feed him. He will sit nicely under my chair and wait for falling french fries. And everything gets sanitized in the dishwasher. There are plenty of people I don't want to share germs with either. With how hot commercial dishwashers get they can sanitize things nicely.

Why do people have to make such a big deal out of these things instead of just enjoying their nice meal out with good company or a good book. You choose to live in a city near lots of other people and animals, so why can't you try to accommodate people. If you hate dogs that much why not just sit inside all the time?

I don't think my dog is like a child at all, but similar to children, if you don't want to be near one when you dine, don't dine at places they frequent. Dogs can only be on outside patios it is pretty easy to avoid. It just seems like people get so worked up over things that don't matter, I just kind of feel like life is to short for that, you gotta enjoy it while you can. People are going to have dogs and children, some people at another table may get better service than you, maybe a chef will greet them and not you, but it is all going to be ok, and in the grand scheme of things it will equal out and everyone will be just fine.

If you hate dogs that much why not just sit inside all the time?

Playing devil's advocate - why should I have ruin a perfectly nice day by sitting inside just because I don't like dogs? It's a restaurant - food for people.

That said, I have no personal objection to people dining on patios and bringing their dogs, but I wish that I could say that people with extremely well behaved dogs are the only ones who do so. We've stopped dining outside in Bethesda because we had a run of about 5 dinners in a row where there was a dog that wasn't well behaved, and it got near ruining a couple of dinners.

Playing devil's advocate - why should I have ruin a perfectly nice day by sitting inside just because I don't like dogs? It's a restaurant - food for people.

The decision isn't up to you or me. The decision is up to the restaurant owners, and they usually decide in favor of who's patronizing their restaurants. Restaurants serve "food for people" that can afford the food. Louis Vuitton couldn't care less how many humans window shop their stores, they only care about those who actually make purchases. How many people will refuse to dine at a restaurant because they can't sit on a dog-free patio vs. dog-owners who won't eat unless their dogs are allowed to sit nearby?

And honestly, dogs accompany people inside restaurants all over western Europe and it doesn't seem to kill anybody. A dog is almost always preferable to a 3-year-old child, and while some diseases can pass between dogs and people (rabies is an obvious example, and a real bummer), you're much likelier to contract a disease from another person than from a dog. Oh, and dogs are simply better than people, I forgot that one.