lol @ someone worried about dog germs on a water glass.

I can understand that, I really can. Now, ours is a household that if the thought of dogs eating off your plate bothers you, well then, I'd better break out some paper plates because mine get great, great joy from "licky plate". I figure the dishwasher gets them clean enough.

At a restaurant? No. People can get grossed out.

I've found more and more restaurants offering doggy bowls. Some disposable even. Some servers have even offered treats!

My general rule is that I need room for my dog to sit under a table, not be under foot for anyone, and if I get a whif that he's just not in the mood (tired, hot etc) we don't do it.

It's much like kids. You have to think of the comfort of others.

That said, I agree with Ericandblueboy about leaving our dogs alone. Our dog is usually rather subdued and innocuous just sitting there, but he's an unusual looking dog and gets many people approaching him while we try to enjoy our meal. It can get annoying.

(It reminds me of a time Mr. MV and I took my mom into Old Town with us and my beardie mix you see in my Avatar- a haven for dogs and dog lovers. We were asked over and over, "what kind of dog it that?!" She suggested we just put a sign on him already)

This week's chat was an egregious example, but decreasingly so (i. e. becoming more and more the norm), but I think that Sietsema should either approach the professional world which he purports to cover as a journalist with knowledge and respect, or he should change his title to "lifestyle reporter" or some such fluff which more accurately describes his subject matter and the approach of the work he produces or over which he puts his name of late.

As it stands, the tone, tenor and content of his work, if he does indeed stand as the critical voice of record in this town, and as reflected in this chat, is a disgrace and an insult to all who toil with respect and with no small measure of sacrifice to make the restaurant business an honorable profession. Is this really the level of discourse that we in the industry deserve or that a journalist of any caliber can lead and have any self-respect?

As a subject for a "Sex in the City" episode, however, it would have been simply fabulous, and dare I say it, absolutely scandalous--like, maybe ten years ago.

I know that I, for one, if this is what my life's work were to come to, would simply hang it up and slink away, and not stay in a position where it was my place to pass judgement on others.

Your small child probably has serious issues - get a shrink. Hint, it probably has something to do with the parenting skills.

Or maybe it has something to do with the size of the dog that mauled the kid off of a swingset when he was 3, like what happened to me.

That said, I have way less of a problem with dogs in restaurants than I do with not being able to take a drink in a go-cup.

This week's chat was an egregious example, but decreasingly so (i. e. becoming more and more the norm), but I think that Sietsema should either approach the professional world which he purports to cover as a journalist with knowledge and respect, or he should change his title to "lifestyle reporter" or some such fluff which more accurately describes his subject matter and the approach of the work he produces or over which he puts his name of late.

This perfectly sums up why I've stopped reading Tom's chats. At the end of the day, I don't care what the anonymous masses have to say, I'm there to get his opinion (it is what he's paid to do after all) on restaurants in and around DC.

His chat has simply devolved into a forum for those with axes to grind to vent or for those who refuse to admit that a restaurant by its very nature needs to cater to more than just ME ME ME.

I was in Paris about 10 years ago, we were at some random cafe for lunch, I don't recall the name of the place. At the table next to us, there was a lady that was holding her tiny dog in one hand, she had a cigarette dangling out of her mouth, she had her cell phone pressed between the side of her head and her shoulder, and she was eating off the same plate as the dog was. I didn't know whether to be grossed out (I was) or amazed that she was doing this all at the same time (I kinda was). This has nothing to do with anything, but I like the story.

Playing devil's advocate - why should I have ruin a perfectly nice day by sitting inside just because I don't like dogs? It's a restaurant - food for people.

That said, I have no personal objection to people dining on patios and bringing their dogs, but I wish that I could say that people with extremely well behaved dogs are the only ones who do so. We've stopped dining outside in Bethesda because we had a run of about 5 dinners in a row where there was a dog that wasn't well behaved, and it got near ruining a couple of dinners.

(This is why my husband hates that he married a lawyer)

If you dislike/allergic/afraid of dogs and there is a dog already present on the patio it would ruin a perfectly nice day by sitting on the patio with a dog. The dog is already there, he isn't going anywhere.

I guess if you live in Bethesda/Clarendon/Ballston or Alexandria you have a pretty good shot that if you sit on a patio at many places a dog will show up. So you have to decide what risk you are willing to take. Is it worth it to sit outside when a dog could arrive? I would think if you really dislike dogs it isn't worth the risk for the benefit of sitting outside. For you, that deicision is no, and I would say if you really dislike a dog that decision would be no. If it is a really good dinner, is it any less of a good dinner because you didn't sit outside? I can't think of one meal I have had outside that would have been awful if I couldn't have sat outside. If for you it is worth the risk then you know it is a risk you are taking and if a dog shows up, why make a big fuss, when you knew that could happen? And there are places with outdoor seating that don't allow dogs. Or in places like Shirlington they must stay on the outside of the fence, some of Old Town is like that too.

If you are in Bethesda you could sit at one of the places that has doors that open up so you get the benefit of the outside while technically being inside in the dog free zone.

We are pretty strict with our dog because we know he will be interacting a lot, we live in a condo, we travel a lot, he goes out a lot and stays in lots of different places. I think if you live that kind of lifestyle you really need to train your dog for it. We started training our dog for restaurants when our dog was really young (4 month mark probably) and now at 9 months he is very good with this type of thing. Like a kid we took him to the most accepting places first, where we could go quickly and tested it out. I think our first adventures were to Rocklands, Big Buns, Mexicali Blues and Raku. I think it is up to restaurants to decide what dogs to accept. It is harder for larger dogs to sit under tables, and some restaurants have better space for it than others. Big Buns has big round tables so that is nice, and they have a park nearby. Rocklands has a huge outdoor space and picnic tables and grass nearby. But I think if you are going to take your dog out you definitely need to socialize them for it. And dog owners that don't really spoil it for others, just like bad parents.

It was hard at Raku to keep him under the table because little girls at the table up from us kept trying to get his attention and wanted to play with him. And people walking by were all stopping to pet him, if you signal that you want to give him attention he will come your way, he is a friendly dog like that, but if you ignore him he ignores you. When you own a dog like mine though you kind of get use to that because he definitely rocks the cute factor, and is a breed that is known to be very people and child friendly.

ktmoomau, you completely misread my post. I said that I had no objection to well-behaved dogs on patios. I have simply seen too many not-well-behaved dogs recently. The presence of the dog didn't affect my meal - the poor behavior of the animal (and, by proxy, the owner) did.

Take-Out Tipping

Fast food employees are paid an hourly wage--minimum wage plus whatever is necessary to get the calibur of employee the proprietor requires. Thus, no tipping required. Restaurant servers wages are based on the assumption that they will get tips (although they too are entitled to the full minimum wage if their tips don't make up for the difference between the low restaurant minimum and the full minimum--read that Federal Labor Laws poster in your break room). So tipping is part of what you sign up for when you eat there.

Usually it's not the server but the host/hostess that's responsible for take-outs (at least that's my experience). Do you tip 10% on take-out? I do but not because they're not being paid at least the minimum wage. I just do it because I thought it's customary. Maybe I should stiff them in the future? :(

Usually it's not the server but the host/hostess that's responsible for take-outs (at least that's my experience). Do you tip 10% on take-out? I do but not because they're not being paid at least the minimum wage. I just do it because I thought it's customary. Maybe I should stiff them in the future? :(

When I was a teenager and was a hostess I was in charge of take out orders. I always appreciated the tips as many of the take out orders were complicated, sauce on the side, no tomatoes on the salad, making sure everything would travel well etc etc. And it took me away from floor duties so then it was more work. I was wage, but the tips certainly helped, as my wage wasn't stellar (but not bad for a teenager, but wouldn't have been able to pay rent anywhere). I normally tip, but if my order is more complicated I tip extra.

I remember a huge take out order for 10 that was really complicated that there was no tip on and the people were fairly rude, that really made me mad. Because that type of order can easily take 20+ minutes from your other duties, so when you are done you are slammed. But since it was a resort area that happened. You also got the nice people who would give you a really nice tip on a simple order.

Funny enough people at McDonald's probably had a better salary than me and benefits... But I tip now because I can and because I know the people packing my order spent time making sure it was packed right and generally need it. Plus I order from the same places a lot and I appreciate their service to me and like to keep a good relationship with them.

I normally tip, but if my order is more complicated I tip extra.

One of the reasons I frequent The Swiss Bakery is because of their "no tips allowed" policy - I go there about once a week. I look forward to throwing my support behind a good, sit-down restaurant that does the same thing.

One of the reasons I frequent The Swiss Bakery is because of their "no tips allowed" policy - I go there about once a week. I look forward to throwing my support behind a good, sit-down restaurant that does the same thing.

Then I guess that I'll see you the next time I'm in Per Se. :(

I'm wondering if Tom actually noticed the last two sentences. He didn't address them, and sometimes when he's called on things in the chat, he's just completely missed the comment at issue. it happens enough that it was my first thought.

The Clifton thing does make me wonder if that's the same person as Todd Kliman's regular poster.

ETA: Later in the chat, Tom wrote, in response to a question about questions he doesn't answer:

Every week there are at least two or three comments or questions that could well get me in trouble if I posted them. Some are serious: "Did you know so-and-so's checks are bouncing?" Other times, people just share weird stuff with me.

I doubt he processed fully that comment about Trummers.

Hmmmm...How did I miss this?:

[From Tom's chat, October 20, 2010}

Ray's the Steaks was mostly delicious and attentive when I dropped by with a posse, so much so that one of my companions booked a table for a business dinner the next week. His later experience was markedly different: rushed service, no help with the wine, smaller portions (he sent me a photo from his cell phone!). That story, capped with a bunch of gripes from readers, kept me from including Ray's this year.

I think Tom must have confused the photo his super secret spy friend sent with the one from Brett Favre.

What I find interesting is how unashamed and open Tom is in abandoning his self-lauded journalistic standards.

Sadly, this vignette speaks for itself.

What I find interesting is how unashamed and open Tom is in abandoning his self-lauded journalistic standards.

All three local critics seem to be guilty of this, some do it by proxy during their "chats" while others may do a hatchet job against a small restaurant under the auspices of a blog entry – if one is guilty, they all are.

MAMBYPAMBYLAND (I LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL!)

Hi Tom, for all amateurs out there, from the last month in reservation requests and general experiences.... We do not celebrate 1st dates, 1 month or 5 month anniversaries. Or 5 birthdays in a party of 6. We saw your request for free cake for your partner. There's no need to get aggressive with the hostess because the server presented the dessert menu. Perhaps your obsessive control freak side doesn't allow for him to CHOOSE his own free dessert that you requested? (twice just last week!) If you want flowers on the table for your date, show you care by at least selecting them YOURSELF and having them delivered. Or better just pin a simple coursage on her. That will go a long way for you! Flowers are personal.... Why do people feel the need to have a bunch of strangers (restaurant employees) celebrate their little "holidays" anyways? 1 guest on his 1st visit wanted the WHOLE staff to acknowledge their 25th anniversary! Aren't anniversaries and birthdays private affairs? Since you want free dessert can I put a 33% gratuity on your check for MY bday???? All month??? Oh yeah. We are a grown up establishment with seasoned professionals both working and dining. We don't sing "Happy Birthday" nor do we want to hear your party do it either.... No, you can't bring your own bottle of cheap scotch for a toast! The mojito is not "national" drink of our establishment. Nor is the caiparinha, pisco sour, or Red Bull/vodka... I don't have room for your favorite orange vodka. I have 1 8pm Saturday night I'm likely NOT going to shut down my bar to squeeze 2.5 limes,1 lemon, and 1/2 orange for your scratch margarita. Please stay simple in the busy times. The poor service you complain about elsewhere is probably due to people like you AHEAD of you. I'd love to see this forum open up with more stories on guest behaviors. Should make for an interesting day!!!! Thanks Tom!!!! PS: I'm posting early. Despite the cloak of anonymity that the intenet provides, I need all other posters to be aware that I am SUPERIOR because I posted early!

I think the rant is hilarious, but there are some not so funny replies.

EXCUSE ME

How long does it take to squeeze that citrus maybe 5 minutes unless you are lazy and incompetent and want to spend more time flirting with the staff. What a punk! Come on little boy out yourself so we can all avoid your establsihment. What a a fool! youa re there to serve your customers. BTW I have tneded bar, waited tables, washed dishes, bussed tables and cooked in restaurants so I understand busy Saturday night. Obviously you dont! Gunny would have you doing a 100 push ups but I am sure a whiner like you couldnt do five since squeezing a few limes was too tough for you.

TOM SIETSEMA WRITES:

Your passion is vibrating on the screen!

Not funny at all and an incomprehensible response from Tom. Use of derogatory terms passes for passion these day?

RE: BIRTHDAYS

I am appalled at the rant from the restaurant owner/server/bartender? Someone does you the honor to celebrate his/her special event at your restaurant, and you won't acknowledge it or thank them? Shame! I was at Wildfire near (not on) my birthday and was showing my daughter a cute birthday card I got. The server saw that and, unasked but not unappreciated, brought a dessert to the table, not knowing exactly which one of us was the birthday person. Needless to say, he got a larger tip than usual AND a comment about his service to the manager. Many good restaurants offer free birthday/anniversary desserts.

I'm pretty sure most restaurants thank their patrons regardless of the occasion. I'm not sure a restaurant should go out of its way to thank patrons who are celebrating a special occasion.

BIRTHDAYS

Daily Grill sends me a gift card every year for my birthday. Not huge, but enough to cover lunch and I pay for a drink. A friend and I celebrated our mutual birthday at The Tombs and when it was mentioned we received a very nice dessert that was comped. Suffice to say the very gracious waiter got a very substantial tip--and made us happy to go back.

What's to stop someone from saying it's a special occasion every time he/she goes out, if he/she can get something for free?

THE RANT

First, the writer sounds like a jackass, but that doesn't make him wrong. I generally don't understand why people expect to get free food from restaurants. If you go to Giant on for your birhtday, they don't give you cake. A restauarnat or server who acknowledges a special day (e.g. a real anniversary or actual, on-tht-day birthday is nice, but not required). However, his point about a complicated drink is ridiculous. If I want to "keep it simple" I'll make it at home. I am going to a restaurant/bar because I assume you have some superior ingredient/knowledge/skill, which I am paying you to use. A high-end restaurant is not supposed to be "simple" -- that's why I'm there.

Calling someone a "jackass" is apparently not jackasserly. The OP's point is don't ask for complicated stuff when it's really busy - if everyone does, then it'll just create a backup.

CONTRARY VIEW OF COMPLIMENTARY BIRTHDAY DESSERTS IN RESTAURANTS

Maybe my husband and I are just getting old, but we would NEVER want restaurant servers to make a spectacle by serenading either of us on our birthday. It's not worth the hassle and disruption of our serenity just for a free piece of cake, and besides, as the birthday-honoree I'd rather select my own dessert, thankyouverymuch

Not everyone in this town is insane! :)

an incomprehensible response from Tom.

Much as I appreciate the work TS does, this is what annoys me about his chats: his responses sometimes read as dodging the point, or they're downright disingenuous. Is he afraid to offend anyone? It should be possible for him to stand up for himself politely, without rolling over so often.

Much as I appreciate the work TS does, this is what annoys me about his chats: his responses sometimes read as dodging the point, or they're downright disingenuous. Is he afraid to offend anyone? It should be possible for him to stand up for himself politely, without rolling over so often.

The part of good restaurants give a free dessert is ridiculous. So, is that to say Good banks give out free money on my birthday since that is what they specialize in? Or what about the bike shop I visit on my birthday, free bike parts? expectation of something in return just for visiting other than the great service and great food is where the buck stops.

The part of good restaurants give a free dessert is ridiculous. So, is that to say Good banks give out free money on my birthday since that is what they specialize in? Or what about the bike shop I visit on my birthday, free bike parts? expectation of something in return just for visiting other than the great service and great food is where the buck stops.

:)

J Crew has never given me a sweater for my birthday, and it pisses me off.

The chains more or less have stamped this onto the popular conciousness. They'll send over the disgruntled, singing waitstaff, and a free slice of Oreo something-or-other. Thankfully, the sining staff never caught on, but the free dessert has become somewhat expected.

It's come to my attention that my last post was unclear.

Tom Sietsema needs to stop dissembling and being disingenuous. Example:

"Jaleo

could your positive dining experiences be due to the fact that you are recognized??

Tom Sietsema writes:

When you're serving hundreds of people a day, it's pretty hard to make dishes special for the unannounced reviewer."

Shaggy! You've been paged on TS's chat - did you see? It's positive too - hope you get the guest slot!

Guest Hosts

Q. It'd be interesting if you got a manager or head waiter from a restaurant where you've experienced good service to guest host a chat. I'd like to see their answers to the different dining etiquette questions that come up.

A.Tom Sietsema writes:

Paging Dave Pressley! Paging Dave Pressley!

Q.3 items for 4 diners

Tom, Four of us had dinner at Casa Nonna last night and were twice confronted with the awkward presentation of 3-item dishes (3 risotto balls, 3 meatballs) for four of us. I would think that the server would have let us know that there were 3 items and perhaps would have offered us an extra one for an extra cost, or maybe suggested to the kitchen that they make 4 smaller items (especially when everything is grandly described as "family style"). Why do they do that? Is it because 3 (or odd numbers) are more aesthetically pleasing than 4? I would think that 4 diners is more common than 3 by a long shot. What are your thoughts?

– December 01, 2010 9:22 AM Permalink

A.Tom Sietsema :

Clearly, someone wasn't doing the math when your party was ordering at Casa Nonna. A server should have explained the serving sizes and asked if you cared for another item (order).

Is this a valid complaint? I think it's ludicrous and Tom's response equally so, but I've never had encountered this circumstance except at dim sum (some plates come with 3 items, others 4). If you are a table for 4 and you want everyone to try a dish with only 3 items, then you better order 2 of them. :)

Is this a valid complaint? I think it's ludicrous and Tom's response equally so, but I've never had encountered this circumstance except at dim sum (some plates come with 3 items, others 4). If you are a table for 4 and you want everyone to try a dish with only 3 items, then you better order 2 of them. :)

My reading was that the menu description didn't include the number of items...that it said "Risotto balls" not "Three risotto balls". In that case, I think it's a valid complaint that the server, seeing 4 patrons, wouldn't have mentioned it. If the menu actually said how many items would be served, then of course it would be up to the patron to order enough.

My reading was that the menu description didn't include the number of items...that it said "Risotto balls" not "Three risotto balls". In that case, I think it's a valid complaint that the server, seeing 4 patrons, wouldn't have mentioned it. If the menu actually said how many items would be served, then of course it would be up to the patron to order enough.

I hear you. Now that I think back, I've had an experience at a Chinese banquet where there was large table of us and a dish had a certain number of prawns that didn't match the number of people at the table and the server did bring that up - but that is a circumstance where the restaurant knows that everyone is sharing every plate. I suppose the diners could've been proactive and let the restaurant know that they're all sharing each appetizer (and maybe they did, which would make the complaint more valid).

Actually, the thing that struck me about yesterday's chat was how incredibly unenlightening the Roberto Donna questions were. Not a comment on Donna or his restaurant, but the "I'm glad I'm open, I'm sorry about the taxes/service issues of the past, we cook authentic Italian food" replies got a little repetitive. Not sure if it was bad questions, bad selection on his part or what, but I would have like something a little more unique.

I agree. Maybe it's the live chat format, it's not everyone's forte. I'd rather see Tom S. shoot one of his videos with the guest chef, both of them incognito. Then at least I would have some fun guessing who we were dealing with. I get that this is a reader write-in Q&A, but maybe Tom should have some prepared questions ready to go just in case yesterday happens again.

I agree. . . . I get that this is a reader write-in Q&A, but maybe Tom should have some prepared questions ready to go just in case yesterday happens again.

Chef Donna was as cagey as he has been in other media interviews, so his performance wasn't that surprising. I was wondering how Tom's producer was screening the questions or if perhaps the chef was nixing some. I agree that more direct interaction between Tom and Roberto would have been welcome. In some cases, I wish the chef had chimed in on some of the questions addressed to Tom. If he continues to have chat guests, I suspect this will evolve, and that most other folks will be more transparent in their responses.

Chef Donna was as cagey as he has been in other media interviews, so his performance wasn't that surprising. I was wondering how Tom's producer was screening the questions or if perhaps the chef was nixing some. I agree that more direct interaction between Tom and Roberto would have been welcome. In some cases, I wish the chef had chimed in on some of the questions addressed to Tom. If he continues to have chat guests, I suspect this will evolve, and that most other folks will be more transparent in their responses.

I am concerned about the concept of bringing chefs online with Tom S. He claims that he seeks anonomity while dining and preparing his reviews, but his aim to bring in professional food people, including chefs, every other week for his weekly chats might subvert his intention.

I agree that the question and the response is very silly. Family style means you share what is on the plate and the table. It wouldn`t be family style if you get your own.

Sending wine back

Hi Kathy! I've always wondered - is it acceptable to send wine back just because you don't like it? When you order a bottle and they pour that first taste, is there a polite way to say that you just don't care for it and would like another selection?

– December 15, 2010 11:18 AM Permalink

A.Kathy Morgan :

Emily Post would tell you no - I would say it depends. The last thing we want is for you to be miserable; we are in the hospitality business after all. The first thing to do is ask the somm to taste it and make sure it is sound - maybe you don't like it because it's corked. If I recommended the wine, I would take it back (luckily, that almost never happens), otherwise, it's a tough call.

A very thoughtful response. My response would've been "hell no you cheap bastard." :)

OVERRATED RESTAURANT (NON-CHAIN CATEGORY):

Am I think only one who doesn't like New Heights? I had a Mother's Day brunch there were the server was giving some tables amuse bouche when they sat down, but one was never brought to our table, the servers actually downright snotty to my sweet old-timey mother (for ordering a Virgin Bloody Mary), and the food was not good. My Croque Mousier was so greasy I couldn't hold it in my hands.

I know for a fact that the last time New Heights ever served brunch - not just Mother's Day brunch, but any brunch - was on Mother's Day, 2006. And there was no "Croque Mousier" [sic] on the menu that day, so this incredibly disingenuous person - if (s)he ever went there at all - is writing about an experience that occurred over five years ago.

Ah, the friends with DonRocks penalty. It is alive and well, and hurting innocent people at every turn.

I wish I could remember a greasy sandwich that I had that required me to complain? Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? Especially for that notably innovative and delicious french-o-fied sandwich which apparently wasn't even on the menu then? I would hate to read the chat reviews of Geno's or Pat's in Philly...

Q. TENURE

How long will you stay with the Washington Post? I guess I'm asking because I'm experiencing a time in my career where I think I've done enough and need to move on. Do you feel like you need to move on to another city? I'm not looking to get rid of you, but do you feel a need for a whole new city worth of restaurants to visit and review while at the same time allowing the Post to give us locals someone with a new or different perspective?

– December 08, 2010 11:22 AM

A.

TOM SIETSEMA :

Are you reading my mind?

– December 08, 2010 11:27 AM

I've been kind of surprised that this chatbit didn't raise more eyebrows. I've never been a fan of his writing style (to put it mildly), but his opinions have been fair and well-based. Is he thinking about leaving?

I've been kind of surprised that this chatbit didn't raise more eyebrows. I've never been a fan of his writing style (to put it mildly), but his opinions have been fair and well-based. Is he thinking about leaving?

I was also surprised by his reply. Could you be more specific about the reasons that you don't like his writing?

Could you be more specific about the reasons that you don't like his writing?

I just find his insistence at using twee synonyms excruciating and his (completely unnecessary) reliance on folksy narrative tools like parenthetical asides to be overly precious. (See what I did there?) Neither of these is a big deal on a case-by-case basis, but I find his employment of them to be such a constant, unrelenting crutch in his writing style to drive me to distraction. It seems to me that he spends a great deal of time crafting phrases and sentences as discrete parts without rereading the piece as a whole and then dialing back the syrup. (I have no idea what his writing process here, and am just projecting an opinion.) I also find it irritating that he will often explain an entire dish without actually sharing whether or not it was good--which is kind of what I'm looking for in a restaurant review.

Writing is subjective, and I know many people who enjoy him, but I'm just not one of them. I'm not saying I could do a better job or that I disagree with his assessments; I'm saying that I don't read his reviews anymore because, like Tom Cruise movies, the tiring personality tics overwhelm and overshadow the content.

Q.Dim sum downtown?

After following your writings devotedly for years, I finally need to ask you for advice. I want to rendezvous with friends for dim sum but they don't want to travel out to the burbs to eat at Fortune or Mark's Duck house near where I live in Falls Church. I don't mind going downtown but it seems to me that that the best dim sum is out in the VA and MD suburbs. Any suggestions? Maybe we should switch to tapas.

January 10, 2011 8:45 PM Permalink

A.Tom Sietsema :

Alas, there is no dim sum (that I know of) in the District. Two of my favorite sources for the Chinese small plates are from the same operator, A & J, which has dining rooms in Rockville and Annandale.

Tony Cheng's in Chinatown had been around for years.

ETA - the dim sum guide also has Ping Pong listed.

He just forgot to add the word "good" before "dim sum", and then his statement is correct.

Of course, we've already had the argument on DR before that A&J, while lovely, doesn't actually serve dim sum...

Someone should go to Tony Cheng's, but I'm not volunteering. I'd hesitate to say anything ill about a place that I haven't been to in at least 5 years.

ETA: I wouldn't want to be accused of bloody libel.

He just forgot to add the word "good" before "dim sum", and then his statement is correct.

Of course, we've already had the argument on DR before that A&J, while lovely, doesn't actually serve dim sum...

Wow Daniel, you look so much like Bobby Flay in your profile picture :) I had never before noticed the resemblance.

Someone should go to Tony Cheng's, but I'm not volunteering. I'd hesitate to say anything ill about a place that I haven't been to in at least 5 years.

I think the last time I went was two years ago, but I'd been going once a year after an annual family activity. During the years I'd gone it had gotten worse each year. Dunno if that's changed in 2 years.