For a while, we had the number formerly belonging to one Jose Oliver. We got at least one call a day from process servers and debt collectors for months. Especially annoying as some people would call and say that they were looking for "Joe". I'm not saying that I approve, but I completely understand.
When I was growing up, our phone number was slightly off that of Vanderbilt University Hospital's maternity ward. I actually got pretty good at dealing with hysterical people who were absolutely sure that they had NOT dialed the wrong number, and that I was just being difficult. :angry:

For a while, we had the number formerly belonging to one Jose Oliver. We got at least one call a day from process servers and debt collectors for months. Especially annoying as some people would call and say that they were looking for "Joe". I'm not saying that I approve, but I completely understand.
We were subjected to similar calls for Rhonda Velasquez for years, and it was horrible! It did teach me that it is never a good idea to have debt collectors after me (or to have the phone number of someone who does).

For quite a while, Jlock had a cell phone number that had been published as the number for a car repair shop - and, he would actually call back people who left messages to give them the correct number. It seemed that every time I met up with him, he was talking to someone with a broken car. If it were me, I could totally see breaking down myself and saying anything that would get the people off the phone (but, then again, I am not nearly as nice as he).

Irony of Ironies....

Mae's restaurant, I don't know where it is, has somehwere published our phone number as their's. As a public service announcement, their fucking phone number is 301-662-4233. Ours is off in one digit (and I ain't telling!)

I cannot tell you how many calls we have gotten over the years asking if we have crabs or if we are open. I have so far resisted the temptation to say "I don't know if they have crabs, I just work for the coroner and I am here carting off the dead bodies of 7 customers who croaked here......"

If you're in the Falls Church area, and you look up Papa John's in the phone book, you'll see several listings. If you pick the right location, dial the first three digits, and glance back at the page to get the next four, you may accidentally read the line below the one you're calling. Especially if it's late, or if you're drunk. If you do, we get the call. I've been tempted to take orders, but it's really not worth the effort.

Fortunately, fewer people are using the phone book these days than, say, five years ago.

If you're in the Falls Church area, and you look up Papa John's in the phone book, you'll see several listings. If you pick the right location, dial the first three digits, and glance back at the page to get the next four, you may accidentally read the line below the one you're calling. Especially if it's late, or if you're drunk. If you do, we get the call. I've been tempted to take orders, but it's really not worth the effort.

Yeah, you shouldn't drive drunk... :angry:

Irony of Ironies....

Mae's restaurant, I don't know where it is, has somehwere published our phone number as their's. As a public service announcement, their fucking phone number is 301-662-4233. Ours is off in one digit (and I ain't telling!)

I cannot tell you how many calls we have gotten over the years asking if we have crabs or if we are open. I have so far resisted the temptation to say "I don't know if they have crabs, I just work for the coroner and I am here carting off the dead bodies of 7 customers who croaked here......"

It's actually May's, a crab house in the industrial part of Frederick, MD (on 355, south of downtown). I've never been, but I have friends that love the place. I prefer to get my crabs somewhere other than "the industrial part of Frederick, MD." Feel free to make jokes about other places in Frederick, MD to get crabs.

Washington, D.C.: So, Tom, I've been really getting into that Bizarre Foods show with Andrew Zimmern and wanted to challenge myself a bit. Where can I go around here...on a budget of course? Thanks. I don't care how "bizarre" it is, but for me, it's important that I can trust the freshness, etc.

Thank you.

Tom Sietsema: Start your journey with grasshoppers, dished up at Oyamel and Casa Oaxaca. Crunch, crunch, crunch go the tacos.

He should have pointed this person to Hong Kong Palace for Ox P.

I was recently asked for my credit card numbers from two restaurants (Posh and Poste), and told that if anyone was late or did not show I would be charged per person ($25 and $30 respectively)
I'm perfectly cool with restaurants taking a credit-card number as insurance against no-shows, but $25 a head for anyone who's late? Are restaurants really doing this?

From yesterday's chat

Silver Spring, Md. - re: Eating at the Bar: Thank you for this unique forum, Tom. I love solo-eating at restaurant bars with a book. It gives you the option to be social - or not. Funny story: I was eating/reading at the bar at Jackie's one evening (where I know the bartender). I was also sitting next to the two owners. One of them (not Jackie) told me, "You really need to get a life. I mean really, reading at a bar? You need to get a life." I countered that I have met more people reading and dining at bars - the book is an instant conversation piece. He agreed, and Jackie proceeded to personally highlight what she thought I should choose from the menu. I love nights like that.

Tom Sietsema: If you're a loser, I'm a loser. I love reading at the bar! One, I get to catch up on all my magazines and newspapers. Two, I can put the material aside (or not) if my neighbors are good company (or not). And three, a book or a paper is a great way to hide a menu I might want to filch.

Setting aside the eating at the bar/loser story, I was surprised to see Tom say that a book or paper is a great way to hide a menu he might want to filch. I'd feel funny about taking a menu from a restaurant without permission.

From yesterday's chat

Setting aside the eating at the bar/loser story, I was surprised to see Tom say that a book or paper is a great way to hide a menu he might want to filch. I'd feel funny about taking a menu from a restaurant without permission.

That struck me too. Do restaurant critics get a special dispensation in this regard? Maybe he returns them when he's done with them :angry:.

That struck me too. Do restaurant critics get a special dispensation in this regard? Maybe he returns them when he's done with them :angry:.

Restaurant menus in high end places are often re-printed on a daily basis. It used to be quite costly to change the menu--the type would have to be reset and new menus printed on offset presses. With computers, the restaurant becomes its own graphics designer and printer. It's very inexpensive compared to the pre-computer days.

Washington, D.C.: If you needed great pizza and had to choose, which of these would you go to first?

1. Comet Ping Pong

2. Red Rocks

3. 2 Amys

4. Bebo Trattoria

Tom Sietsema: I'd pick Door Number 3 for a variety of reasons, some of which include a crust and toppings.

Ok, who wrote in to Tom today?

I knew you people across the park were snots. :P

Cleveland Park: Tom, please would you and your Food Section colleagues NOT write about Palena any more? Please, stop. It was for years a neighborhood restaurant, but since they started reading about it in the Post it's been attracting all sorts of parvenues who, quite frankly, just don't belong there. They are ruining the experiences for the people who live in the neighborhood and used to enjoy the fine cooking and laid-back atmosphere. So please, ixnay on the Alenapay.

Thanks!

Tom Sietsema: I'm afraid it's too late .

That smacked of elitism. Oh, and we cretins understand pig latin so yeah, the jigs up :blink:

Server 'Tude: I agree with the other poster - the minute I detect anything but pleasantness from my server, their tip goes down to 10% MAXIMUM. If the 'tude continues, it goes down to 5% or less. On the other hand, excellent 'tude gets you 30%. I am paying to go to a restaurant for the full experience. If I don't get it, your tip will suffer. Got it?

Tom Sietsema: Servers, be sure to wear your smiles today.

I am reminded of an article that showed that 10% tips taught a valuable lesson: Click!

Near the end of today's chat, there was a long RW story that still has me shaking my head. People took a birthday cake to a restaurant without setting it up in advance (so far as I can tell from the way the story was told) and then, not only expected to have the cake served, but also to get their RW dessert, all for $30 per adult. (There were two kids for whom they ordered extra food.)

Tom's response was that communication failed on both sides. To an extent I agree--and the person writing had no idea they would have to pay to have an outside cake cut and plated--but stuff like that must make restaurant staff crazy. (The guests were told they'd have to pay for plates for the RW dessert, as they had already used their alloted plating for the cake. They weren't being charged for the cakeage since they weren't told upfront there was a fee.)

Near the end of today's chat, there was a long RW story that still has me shaking my head. People took a birthday cake to a restaurant without setting it up in advance (so far as I can tell from the way the story was told) and then, not only expected to have the cake served, but also to get their RW dessert, all for $30 per adult. (There were two kids for whom they ordered extra food.)

Tom's response was that communication failed on both sides. To an extent I agree--and the person writing had no idea they would have to pay to have an outside cake cut and plated--but stuff like that must make restaurant staff crazy. (The guests were told they'd have to pay for plates for the RW dessert, as they had already used their alloted plating for the cake. They weren't being charged for the cakeage since they weren't told upfront there was a fee.)

I was scratching my head too, Pat. If you're following Tom's chats, you're probably a foodie to some degree. It struck me as odd that the chatter would just walk into a random restaurant and present a cake for dessert, let alone during RW which is a crazy busy time. It also seemed as if the chatter had no reflection like "perhaps I should have called first..."

I thought Tom's response was spot on-communication failure on both ends.

I've never taken a cake to a restaurant, but would definitely consider it if it would just make the birthday person's day. But, I would call first, pay for plating and leave extra tip in case it meant not ordering dessert from the restaurant menu.

It struck me as odd that the chatter would just walk into a random restaurant and present a cake for dessert, let alone during RW which is a crazy busy time.

If I had to guess, and it is only a guess, I suspect that the chatter's only previous experience with birthday parties at restaurants were children's parties. You can probably get away with this type of behavior at Chuck E. Cheese's. :mellow:

My fiancee and I showed up late one Friday evening a few months back and we ordered, in addition to our entrees, a nice bottle of wine ($60+.) Upon bringing the bottle to the table, the waitress attempted numerous times, unsuccessfully, to open the bottle. After roughly manhandling the bottle and sticking and re-sticking the wine opener into the cork one too many times, she left the table, embarrassed, and took the bottle back to the bar where she continued to fail miserably. She eventually handed the bottle over to the bar manager who finally got the bottle open. The wine was poured into our glasses at the bar and when served to us, we were not surprised to find it completely corked.

When we objected, citing how we even watched the wine getting corked by way of its handling, the manager came over and began to berate us. "Are you kidding me?!" she screamed, in her French accent. "The wine is fine. The sommelier tried it and said it's fine. And, if you don't drink it, you're still going to be charged for it and it's $70."

I was stunned. Not only because she embarrassed us in front of other patrons (yes, people turned to stare at the commotion she was making) but because the sommelier had poured himself a glass to try, knowing full-well it was bad by that point, prior to us being served.

Oh, man, the restaurant's reaction notwithstanding (as told through the filter of the complaining party, natch), how many things wrong can we find with this situation? Methinks they don't quite understand the meaning of "corked".

watched the wine getting corked by way of its handling

Right in front of their eyes! It's a biochemical miracle!! ;)

Oh, man, the restaurant's reaction notwithstanding (as told through the filter of the complaining party, natch), how many things wrong can we find with this situation? Methinks they don't quite understand the meaning of "corked".
My immediate reaction was that they didn't know what corked meant. Tom missed that upfront but, by later in the chat, realized there had been misuse of terminology and spoke about it further. Undoubtedly, part of the restaurant's angry response was being told there was something wrong with the wine that there wasn't. That's not to say that they couldn't have been more hospitable in their (apparent) response, but they took a loss on a fairly expensive bottle of wine because the diners didn't like the server's ineptitude in opening the bottle.

<<"Are you kidding me?!" she screamed, in her French accent.>> Clearly, this whole incident could have been averted if the manager had only had the good sense to adopt a more American accent in speaking with this couple. By insisting on using her natural French accent, she had no hope but to be rude.

Also from the same post: "I wanted to share my story as a warning to others. . . . We have shared our experience with all of our Hill friends and they, too, are shocked, vowing never go to Montmatre themselves again. The restaurant not only lost us as patrons that night but many of our neighbors as well." Ya know, if you're going to claim the moral high ground in this sort of situation, announcing how you've made your friends and neighbors accessories to your ignorance is probably not the best course of action. ;) If this couple is going to dine on the Hill again, they should stick to Marty's, not Montmartre.

Also from the same post: "I wanted to share my story as a warning to others. . . . We have shared our experience with all of our Hill friends and they, too, are shocked, vowing never go to Montmatre themselves again. The restaurant not only lost us as patrons that night but many of our neighbors as well." Ya know, if you're going to claim the moral high ground in this sort of situation, announcing how you've made your friends and neighbors accessories to your ignorance is probably not the best course of action. ;) If this couple is going to dine on the Hill again, they should stick to Marty's, not Montmartre.

Yes, I hear they have particularly weak wristed staff at Montmartre and that they frequently cannot get wine bottles open without lots of tugging. Seriously, bad call on Tom's part posting that nonsense and without initial comment on what it means for wine to be corked. Teaching opportunity lost.

This man obviously has no clue. At first I thought by "corked" he meant to say "littered with cork," but it's obvious he is talking about how the wine tasted, which must have confused the staff.

Also note how he objected (was "stunned" in fact) that the sommelier had the nerve to taste the wine himself beforehand. Oh, the humanity!

That being said, and as I've said and experienced myself, the wine service at Montmartre does generally suck.

Maybe its just me, but if a wait shreds a cork I htink the restaurnat either needs to decant the wine thru a stainless steel mesh to get it clear or open a new bottle. In no way does this excuse rudeness on the part of the restaurant. The only excuse for rudeness from a restaurant is when a party shows up late on a Saturday night, half complete, and gets all incensed about having to wait to complete.

Maybe its just me, but if a wait shreds a cork I htink the restaurnat either needs to decant the wine thru a stainless steel mesh to get it clear or open a new bottle. In no way does this excuse rudeness on the part of the restaurant. The only excuse for rudeness from a restaurant is when a party shows up late on a Saturday night, half complete, and gets all incensed about having to wait to complete.
The way I read the complaint, at first I thought cork had gotten into the wine, but then I wasn't sure. The word "corked" clearly seemed misused, but I couldn't tell what it was supposed to mean. From the account in the chat, I figured the problem had been dealt with at the bar, by decanting and straining, with the sommelier tasting it to make sure it was all right before it was served in glasses.

None of this cork stuff matters; the only thing that matters is a server playing Rock-A-Bye Baby with a wine while opening it.

It has happened to me more times than I can count: A bottle is gingerly presented for my perusal, then after a subtle nod of my head ... "it" begins:

First, the server's mind goes entirely blank. The bottle is then turned horizontally while the capsule is ripped off, then the bottle is twisted, torsed and rotated while the corkscrew is going in. During the extended, seemingly endless, struggle to unshackle the cork, the wine is heaved to-and-fro like the Edmund Fitzgerald.

NW D.C.: I was out with my wife at a well-known, hard-to-get-into place, this past weekend and overheard a conversation at another table. The diner was complaining at their table and the service and indicated that "He is a senior member of a well-known area food blog, at that the lack of service will be noted." Well, the waiter calmed him down and comped the person a full bottle of wine. I checked the blog (will not mention) and sure enough there was a entry, and there was a mention of the lack of service, but no mention of the comped wine. Do the boards hold that much sway over restaurants that they fearful of bad posts?

Tom Sietsema: It's a big, bad -- but never boring! -- world out there in the blogosphere. I think restaurants DO care what is posted about them online. And I think some online scribes are taking advantage of the fact.

Any guesses? I don't recall seeing it here and I didn't do it on eGullet...

[All - please don't speculate on the one obvious candidate here (not the Poste post); I'm looking into it.]

Okay, I checked with the restaurant, and the post I was worried about is not culpable. I'm not convinced the person on Tom's chat was referring to this website, but I trust (s)he will email me at donrocks@donrockwell.com and let me know if I'm wrong hint hint.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Imagine referring to donrockwell.com as a blog anyway. No one could be that foolish, surely?
I have to admit, that I just assumed it was an actual blog (even going so far as to hunt around on numerous DC area ones).... and it hadn't really even considered that it was someone on here?

I am dying of curiousity, though, I must say...

Imagine referring to donrockwell.com as a blog anyway. No one could be that foolish, surely?
Tom's chatter referred to it both as a blog and a board. Some people don't seem to make too much distinction between a multi-person blog and a message board.

Recently, I was dining with my significant other (who's becoming less and less significant, but, really, that's an issue for Carolyn Hax...) at a restaurant downtown.

Remember, a significant other is but one letter away from being a significant bother. :lol:

I just made that up ;)

Remember, a significant other is but one letter away from being a significant bother. :lol:
What made that lead-in perfect for that question is that each reacted completely differently to the situation described. They wanted to do completely different things in response. I was wondering what they ended up actually doing.

Washington, D.C.: Tom,

I drank far too much last night. Told my boyfriend's dad I wanted to marry him (the boyfriend) and passed out in my office only to wake up at 6 a.m., go home and shower, and come back.

OUCH

About the boyfriend question: Oh god. He's in NY with his family. I told his dad over the phone - and I have no idea what happened in the conversation. The only reason I even remember is because a friend that was at the bar reminded me of it this morning.

Oh god.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUCH

post-138-1219857130_thumb.jpg