Discount Coupons

clayrae

The coupon is usually for 50%.

The coupon company usually starts the negotiation at around a 50/50 split. So the restaurant gains 25% of the coupon value. And by the way the payment is not made immediately to the restaurant - in the one case with which I am familiar the payments were split over 3 months.

I imagine the specific terms are always negotiable depending on the restaurant.

Also depending on the deal vendor. Groupon and Living Social are the gorillas and they no longer always get 50% with all the new entrants. Many of the me-toos are undercutting to get market share. That's the incentive for many restaurants to try a new guy when the audience for the biggies is so much larger. For instance, me toos like the one below from the Vit Goel Lighthouse Tofu thread...

The discount coupon was from Specialicious. This is the second time, at least, that they have done a coupon, so keep an eye out. It's already a good deal for a meal, but with a coupon, the value is unbeatable.

Sigh, another dealsite I wasn't already subscribing to. Probably has already been covered in this thread somewhere but if others get overwhelmed with the sheer number of deal sites, consider an aggregator like this or this

Trummer’s on Main apparently decided to take discount couponing into their own hands. They sent an announcement out to their email list advertising 50% off their gift certificates ($30 for a $60 gift certificate) to be purchased in the restaurant on Oct 8 and Oct 9.

They sent a follow-up email yesterday saying they sold 350 gift certificates. Seems like a smart way to harness the power of a restaurant's distribution list and avoid the fees paid to the deal sites.

Trummer’s on Main apparently decided to take discount couponing into their own hands. They sent an announcement out to their email list advertising 50% off their gift certificates ($30 for a $60 gift certificate) to be purchased in the restaurant on Oct 8 and Oct 9.

They sent a follow-up email yesterday saying they sold 350 gift certificates. Seems like a smart way to harness the power of a restaurant's distribution list and avoid the fees paid to the deal sites.

Grapeseed has done this also - it's a glimpse into the future.

Grapeseed has done this also - it's a glimpse into the future.

It's also the past. Almost since Groupon first emerged there have been restaurants doing, or trying to do, this themselves. The obvious challenge is that a single restaurant or even restaurant group can never reach the audience of a large national deal company. For many restaurants, that's a blessing in disguise as has been well covered. Also, safe to say that individual restaurants will never be able to administer them as effecttively or as broadly as a company dedicated to doing only that. And, even a well organized restaurant usually will only be able to reach existing (versus new) customers.

How many restaurants and shops do we know that do nothing to understand who their customers are and how they might best serve and retain them? Answer: most of them. How many restaurants/shops do we know who, even more maddingly, collect business cards and then never use them or never even send an email? I'm reminded here of this post from years ago (pre online deals but post email) on that topic that Don wrote about one of the best pastry chefs we've ever had in DC. Can skip to the bottom, right where the chef bemoans the still familiar theme, "People need to try my things" and read on from there in the longer post for the relevant part about collecting email addresses from customers.

At the end of the day, I think it a healthy and effective component of a restaurant's promotional strategy to do these themselves on occasion. Of course just subject to whatever their goals are (i.e., how many and what types of people they want to reach) and whatever their ability and inclination to do it. It's all a subset of the higher level reality that cooking great food and running a profitable business are two very distinct sets of skills.

Pete's New Haven Apizza in Clarendon is offering a Monday deal of half-off on pizzas for dine-in customers.

More here, including a bit of discussion about the impact of recent Groupon offers on their sales.

This is a really good time to remind restaurateurs that they can promote their specials here (*), for free, up to twice a month. And it's not bothersome either - people want to know.

(*) either in their own restaurant threads in the Restaurants and Dining forum, or in a separate thread in the Events and Gatherings forum. All I ask is that 1-2 sentences of original text accompanies the press release if you're thinking of cutting-and-pasting.

How much is that normally? Doesn't seem like much of a bargain...

That was my reaction, too. The label of "10-course" is somewhat misleading, since three of those courses are canapés and one is a cheese course. As best as I can tell, this is pretty much what you get from the 6-course $110 menu with an $18 charge for the cheese course and $85 for the pairings (a total of $213 before tax and tip). Maybe the take-home pastry is a bonus? Is there anyone with experience with the typical 6-course menu who can shed some light on what, if anything, sets this offer apart?

Is this a true coupon? Every coupon I use either states an amount or percentage saved. I did notice it was under the Gourmet section heading, is this something new?

This definitely doesn't sound like a "deal" to me. Besides, I think Living Social Gourmet is invite only right now.

A 3fer for Grapeseed on Groupon Bloomspot: $35 for $70 of food and drink; $66 for four-course tasting menu for two ($110 value) (valid Friday and Saturday only); and/or $350 for private wine cellar dinner for eight ($1000 value) (includes five to six shared family-style appetizers, choice of a soup or salad, entree, and dessert per person; valid Monday–Thursday only).

A 3fer for Grapeseed on Groupon: $35 for $70 of food and drink; $66 for four-course tasting menu for two ($110 value) (valid Friday and Saturday only); and/or $350 for private wine cellar dinner for eight ($1000 value) (includes five to six shared family-style appetizers, choice of a soup or salad, entree, and dessert per person; valid Monday–Thursday only).

The first and third deals are very good, but the second deal is regularly available. If you call the restaurant before Friday and pre-pay, the $55 weekend tasting menu is always $35.

The first and third deals are very good, but the second deal is regularly available. If you call the restaurant before Friday and pre-pay, the $55 weekend tasting menu is always $35.

$66<$70 however

But yes that deal is always around. Bloomspot makes you come up with three deals, so in order to keep from having to juggle 36 different deals, we kept one pretty similar.

cheers

Not sure this belongs here or not so feel free to move it. Amex has a special promotion running for Small Business Saturday on 11/26. Go to the AMEX Facebook page and register your AMEX card for the promotion. Then on 11/26 use your card at any of the places listed (can search by zip code) and you get a $25 statement credit when you spend at least $25 at one of the participating stores.

Some of the places included: Georgetown Cupcake, Ray's the Steaks and Hellburger, Cashions, Z Burger, Italian Store, Jack Rose, Ripple, Passage to India, Weygandt Wines, Grapeseed, EtVoila, Chain Bridge Cellars.

Not sure this belongs here or not so feel free to move it. Amex has a special promotion running for Small Business Saturday on 11/26. Go to the AMEX Facebook page and register your AMEX card for the promotion. Then on 11/26 use your card at any of the places listed (can search by zip code) and you get a $25 statement credit when you spend at least $25 at one of the participating stores.

Some of the places included: Georgetown Cupcake, Ray's the Steaks and Hellburger, Cashions, Z Burger, Italian Store, Jack Rose, Ripple, Passage to India, Weygandt Wines, Grapeseed, EtVoila, Chain Bridge Cellars.

The AmEx Small Business Saturday promotion can be used at any independent small business. (i.e. not limited to the ones listed on the zip code search)

We're running another deal with Bloomspot tomorrow for the Light Horse. Bloomspot will negotiate a much better split with the merchant and they guarantee an "overspend" amount that their users must fulfill (on average) or they will give 100% of the purchased dollars to the merchant.

We ran a deal with them a couple months ago and it was great. All of the bloomspot users spent more than their discounted coupon was worth and I'd say at least 95% of them were visiting us for the first time. We've since seen many of them return frequently and have even gotten a few new regulars from it.

The Light Horse was really known as a local bar/hangout for the second floor, but with these offers, we've been exposing our dining room to people who would have never thought to have a nice meal here. The exposure has been really good for us and I most definitely put a limit on the number that can be sold.

... and here it is: The Light Horse

how do you bury the link in anchor text in this new version?

Like this. Just highlight the text you want to use for the link, click on the little doo-dah (a technical term) below the drop arrow on the size block and enter the URL in the box that pops up.

Yeah, in this version, you HAVE to write and highlight the text first, THEN click on the doo-dah; in the older version, you could do either.

Yeah, in this version, you HAVE to write and highlight the text first, THEN click on the doo-dah; in the older version, you could do either.

I tried that the first time and I just tried doing it again to fix the post and I got this message:

(No anchors available in the document)

Here is the "fixed" post. Bloom Spot. Give that a try and see if it's what you wanted. (incidentally, I just tried it and it works as expected. Took me to Bloom Spot and a article on Light Horse).

It works now. I was trying the drop down that says "link to anchor in text." I needed to use just the URL selection. Sorry for the bother. Thanks for the help. I wonder what "link to anchor in text" does.

Farrah Olivia $50 certfiicate for $25

Offered for the next 2 days. Certificate expires on April 11, 2012. You can put together your own 5 course meal for $75. In this case, I don't feel there is alot of bang for your buck since I would definitely do the 5 course meal, so I would save at most $25 on a $150 pre-tax pre-tip tab. Hmmm....no sure if I'm gonna get this yet.

Mokomandy $30 certificate for $15 for Thurs, Fri, & Sat. Worth $35 from Sun-Wed. Expires on April 16, 2012. The restaurant is only open for dinner. The menu is more than just Korean and Cajun. Grilled quail and housemade ramen soup? Interesting sides - jalepeno hush puppies, kimchi pancakes, cracklins, etc. Unfortunately the only times I've been out that way is to play that terrible Algonkian golf course. Since it's a terrible golf course, I rarely play it. I'll probably get the certificate just to try the ramen.

Half off for Sunday-only or two-day sessions at the International Food and Wine Festival - anyone been in recent years to say whether this is worth going to?

I have been to this festival twice, once many years ago and once in 2010.

When I went many years ago, it was a debacle. I do not recall where it was held, but the space was way too small for the number of people there. It was literally impossible to get a sip of wine, we gave up after a while and left. In fact, the next year, they actually advertised that they were going to limit the number of tickets sold so it would not be overcrowded.

2010, to be honest, wasn't much better. We got there around 12:30 on Sunday and the line was quite long. They don't let one person in until 1:00, so by the time we actually got through the doors, it was 1:15. On top of that, the coat check is inside the doors, so then you had to wait on line to check your coats. When all was said and done, I would say that we had our glasses and were inside at 1:30 PM. It, again, was very crowded, but not as much as my previous experience. You could move around, and get some wine here and there, but there were definitely huge crowds around the more popular and better winery stations. You also have to pay separately for food tickets, which were expensive for the quality/quantity of food. But, the most scandolous part of the day, however, was when 2:30 hit and many of the vendors started packing up and leaving. I remember taking a picture from the upper level down into a space that had dozens of booths at 2:37 PM and realizing that half of the vendors in that section were gone. I was pissed, believe me that I was pissed, but I was more sad than anything else.

After that, I vowed to never go again. Of course, as a gift for Christmas, someone gave me tickets to go, which isn't the best gift to give me and my pregnant wife, so I may try it once again.