• baby back ribs
  • pulled pork with fixings
  • coffee-chipotle brisket
  • khao soi (chicken curry noodles)
  • gumbo
  • meatloaf with autumnal accoutrements
  • bacon bomb

Vegetables/Grains

• roasted green beans with slivered almonds, goat cheese, and mustard dressing
  • celeriac, carrot, and apple remoulade
  • antipasto salad
  • slaw
  • vegetable torte
  • red beans and rice
  • rice and vegetable salad
  • macaroni-tuna salad
  • macaroni and cheese
  • linguini with prosciutto

Desserts

• Torta della nonna
  • maple-oatmeal scones
  • loaded carrot cake
  • something chocolatey (brownies, perhaps)
  • chess pie
  • pie baked in a cake!
  • assorted baked goods

Drinks

• various beers (can't have too much!)
  • various wines (can't have too much!)
  • rosemary fizz
  • arak
  • water

Supplies -- Don't forget to bring your storage containers to take home leftovers!!!

• propane stove
  • deep-fryer
  • small grill
  • plates and bowls (disposable)
  • napkins and paper towels
  • forks, knives, spoons (disposable)
  • fire extinguisher(s)
  • soccer paraphernalia
  • cooler(s)

Sadly, after a couple of experiments this afternoon, it seems as though my attempt to bring candied bacon will not happen. I do now have a small Tupperware container full of sweet bacon bits and a trash bag with some amazingly burnt (whatever's beyond caramel, I guess) meat. I begin to think I need to break out my oven thermometer...and try a new recipe for the next picnic.

If no one minds, I think I'll bring some baklava (various: cashew, almond) from Mediterranean Bakery. Not bacon, true, but still sticky sweet!

After shredding my second 10 lb. pork butt in a week, I can say, w/out a doubt, that pork fat is the BEST moisturizer-my hands are silky smooth, & the smell drives the puppies (& the men) crazy...

I can say that while my candied bacon was a failure, it definitely did succeed as an air freshener in the scent of bacon...and a bit of burnt sugar.

We will be bringing the propane stove still in its original box, and fuel, in case anybody wants it.

We will also be bringing beef curry, to be served over Louisiana brown rice. Also a melange of roasted autumn vegetables, probably sweet potatoes, butternut squash, onions, and garlic.

Contemplating fried green tomatoes. We have a lot of green tomatoes still on the vine. Is this a picnic dish?

Or I could just make baked beans. Apparently Heather is regrouping? This is more of a picnic dish than fried green tomatoes.

Harumph. Work has reared its ugly head, and so I have nothing to bring and probably will end up being busy till late tomorrow anyway so I'll probably be a no-show to boot. (If I do get work wrapped up unexpectedly early, though, I'll at least bring something in the beverage genre.)

I'm bringing pumpkin chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Really, they are mostly pumpkin. I'll probably make a batch of plain chocolate chip cookies too... okay, I've already made the dough and it's resting in the refrigerator in anticipation of being sliced for the DR picnic eating pleasure. There are a lot of cookies being baked tonight.

Soon I'll prep the coleslaw.

(Oh, no pie. I wasn't in the pie baking mood tonight...)

OK, the two BACON EXPLOSIONS are assembled for tomorrow. One regular, one spicy (spicy sausage, spicy rub, spicy BBQ sauce). Bacon and sausage from Otterbein Acres, an Amish farm that sells at the Rockville Farmers Market.

Remember to save some room, because I'm not getting there until 1p, and it will take around 90 minutes or so to smoke them.

Off to the store to grab some plates and utensils and water.

Need to wrap the boobie prize that will be donated to the bringer of the worst bottle of wine.

See y'all in a while.

Oh I think we're gonna go over and above having replaced the stolen paper goods! I promise to take better care of the remainders this time.

See y'all shortly!

Off to the store to grab some plates and utensils and water.

Need to wrap the boobie prize that will be donated to the bringer of the worst bottle of wine.

See y'all in a while.

Remember folks, it's cellar cull day. Just a reminder to get bring those random old bottles and see if any turn out to be tasty.

Sorry I had to leave early, but great seeing everyone again or for the first time. As always, a big "Thanks!" to leleboo for organizing this, and another to everyone who . Great food all around. Antonio's fried chicken, the ribs, the pâté en croûte, the terrines, amazing desserts a-plenty! I am stuffed!

Another excellent picnic! Thanks to everyone for their contributions and a big thanks to Leigh for organizing.

The winner of the boobie prize for the worst bottle of wine was hillvalley. It wasn't even close. The prize was accepted with a great deal of grace.

What a wonderful way to spend what seemed to be the first day of fall. I am convinced that I didn't eat that much over the course of the day but I am probably deluding myself. There were so many favorites, including the incredible pate en croute with pickled veggies. The MDT pate was delicious as well as the chopped chicken liver, er pate. The ribs were superb this year, and the crispy bacon I snagged from the bacon explosion was yummy (and the only bacon in evidence at the picnic... the trend is declared over!) The red beans and rice were authentic and delicious. The Thai curry soup was a decadent treat. My favorite side among the great sides was the rice salad and I hope the person who brought it will post the recipe as I could see recreating it soon. Oh and the veggie torte. Oh and the braised carrots, eggplant thing and homemade sour dough bread.

Desserts? Really? Where do I begin... the GoodEats Cake/Pie/Cake was really good. The carrot cake was divine. The brownies were literally a chocolate explosion, and really good. The mama's torte (in English, in Italian it sounds as pretty as the dish) was an eye opener on how to bake with fruit.

Everything else was really good too. If we kept score, I'd say the food at this picnic was the best! But we don't keep score we just mark the days until the next picnic. Thanks Leleboo for taking the task on this year. It was a great day!

What can I say? We just know how to put up “The Picnic”. Real lucky with the perfect picnic day, too! :) I was praying Antonio Burrell would make his famous fried chicken that I missed before. And he did! I was happy. AGM and DanielK, our experts with the grill, baby back ribs and bacon bomb, though people kept calling it bacon explosion…it’s all good, then there’s also the pulled pork—thank goodness we have something like this every time, or it doesn’t feel complete. Bless you mdt for whipping up such tedious and delicious pâté en croûte and terrines to a picnic. Like I said, we really know how to whip up “The Picnic”. You the man! Barbara’s apple crumble…Zora’s pear tarte tatin with crema, plus more yum! Too much good stuff to list! And goodeats, making that turducken-like-pie-in-a-cake was incredible. How did you stuff that pie in the cake? Thank you all for the great food, fun and love—the best part was seeing new and old faces again! The original DR.com babies are all grown up and now there’s a new generation. Thank you goldenticket for bringing deviled eggs in memory of StephenB (we miss him) and to leleboo for organizing, a big task to fill. We all left so stuffed and happy. :( Until the next one…

Nice to see everybody! Wish I had a chance to talk to more people, but I got caught up in some fun conversations regarding ninjas, diet coke and Galileo (not in the same convo). All the food was delicious. I particularly liked the rice salad, eggplant something, braised carrots, fried chicken and pretty much everything else. Wish we could have come earlier and stayed longer, it has just been a busy time of year.

I think my favorite line was when I walked up to a friend of goodeats who asked, "Are you a lawyer too?" It was a nice reminder how many of us there are.

Ditto what everyone else has said - another successful picnic with lots of tasty treats!

Just for the sake of accuracy (and giving credit where credit's due :( ), ScottJohnston brought the deviled eggs and Poivrot Farci sent the fabulous pâté en croûte - both dishes delicious, as were mdt's terrines - one with a pork tenderloin inside, another with prunes. So many other goodies - pear frangipane, that fried chicken, ribs, RissaP's gorgeous carrot cake, the Thai curry coconut soup (please post that recipe), cheeses, pork, salads, endless desserts, good wines, perfect weather - we couldn't have asked for a better day!

Thanks leleboo for organizing and thanks to everyone who turned out to make it such a fun event!

The winner of the boobie prize for the worst bottle of wine was hillvalley. It wasn't even close. The prize was accepted with a great deal of grace.

How can you beat a 5 year old bottle of Virginia wine that wasn't drinkable to begin with :( I'd like to thank our fearless leader with his help with this win.

Shouldn't that be booby, not boobie, prize?

Boobie prize is given out by a different group. I doubt hillvalley would have accepted the other with as much grace.

Umm, yeah, can't really say that a boobie prize would excite me much. I'm quite pleased with the set I have, thank you very much. :) The booby prize, on the other hand, will be put to good use. And no snobby comments about it being Yellow Tail wine.

And the fried chicken continues to kick ass.

I can't believe that nobody has yet mentioned the stupendous ceviche. Maybe none of you had any because I ate it all?

The Bacon Explosion is not really supposed to explode the way it did. Adam and I have several theories about why the bacon didn't seem to crisp, and why the weave didn't hold, so I'll just have to try again at another picnic. :( Tasted fine, though....

Antonio's chicken was superb, and thanks to goodeats for making sure that I got some fresh from the fryer. everything I tasted was excellent. I hope that the recipe for Asian slaw will get posted. it impressed the hell out of me and I brought some home to J, who loved it--he, who insists that coleslaw be creamy-so I definitely want that recipe! He also loved Rissa's carrot cake, which I could only admire from afar--alas!--because of the walnuts in it. Kudos to Leigh for organizing--you did a fabulous job!

I can't believe that nobody has yet mentioned the stupendous ceviche. Maybe none of you had any because I ate it all?

There was ceviche?! Missed it. Alludes to DameEdna saying that there is always a dish that was passed over until you read the thread after the picnic. D'oh! Also missed the deviled eggs Scott made.

Many thanks to goldenticket who made a dear tribute to Stephen.

RissaP - anytime you want to bring guys who teach Muy Thai - wow. Thank you for making your wonderful carrot cake!

Antonio made at least 3 batches of chicken and it still went in seconds. Like vultures scavenging. Except with paper towels (too hot, too hot!).

Was glad to have some decent baklava, courtesy of TheMatt's pickup from the Mediterranean Bakery in AX.

agm's ribs were killer and how can anyone not like DanielK's bacon explosion and mdt's terrine? Thanks also to Poivrot Farci for contributing and seeing a masterpiece in person. Also thanks to Barbara & DameEdna's friend, Nena, who brought these beautiful herbs to share with all of us.

Plus many thanks to those who contributed to the cookbook swap - I am very thankful for 2 to add to my collection (although the person who bought the 2005 WaPo Dining Guide should be called in question - Bueller, Bueller?).

As always, seeing the DR kids bigger and taking care of the new ones joining so warms the heart. Makes this event such a true family outing.

2 types of baked beans! And more beans in the beans and rice 1000yregg bought! W00t!!

Plus the aforementioned Thai curry noodles and the color assortment on the wine/champagne/milk/juice table.

Thank you all again for a comforting and fun and great weather picnic.

Had a great time today.

My pictures of the picnic (before the camera crapped out) can be seen & downloaded here.

Sorry- no pics of the amazing fried chicken, the great carrot cake, or the bacon explosion.

Per leleboo's and poivrot farci's request- lots of pics of that amazing Pâté en croûte.

Plus many thanks to those who contributed to the cookbook swap - I am very thankful for 2 to add to my collection (although the person who bought the 2005 WaPo Dining Guide should be called in question - Bueller, Bueller?).

That would be me. It's a period piece. :(

As always, the food was delicious, and it was great seeing most of you. Thank you for organizing, Leigh.

This was my first picnic, and my wife and I had a wonderful time. Great food, great drink, great conversation.

My favorite side among the great sides was the rice salad and I hope the person who brought it will post the recipe as I could see recreating it soon.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and i will post the recipe.

Per leleboo's and poivrot farci's request- lots of pics of that amazing Pâté en croûte.

Thanks for those - everyone should follow that picture link just to see how beautiful that Pâté was. Like RissaP's carrot cake (which I think we have pix of), it was *almost* too good to eat.

I did forget to mention the ceviche - it was fresh and tangy and brought back memories of trips to tropical places. And how about that mac and cheese - which Antonio brought, too, as if frying chicken for all of us on his day off wasn't enough. :(

Woah -- I didn't get to the pâté en croûte until it was almost gone, so had absolutely no idea how beautiful it was! 1000yregg, thank you for the photos!

It was great to see you all, and to eat your food, again yesterday :( I'm glad the khao soi (Thai coconut curry chicken) was liked. I'll post the recipe soon -- it's ridiculously easy.

Everything I ate was great, and I particularly enjoyed the ceviche, fried chicken, tofu pate, butterscotch brownies, and lemon poundcake. Recipes would be greatly appreciated for these and all others!

Oh, and there was great beer too -- thank you to the person/people who brought it.

I'll also add that I really missed the arrancini. We were pretty far south of the city for something else in the morning, or we definitely would have helped with its delivery.

Leleboo, thank you for organizing another great picnic!

I am so so sorry I wasn't able to make it. So sorry. Reading the reports is not helping. :(

Is there a spring picnic (she asks hopefully) or do I have to wait another year for my next chance?

Oh, there's definitely a spring picnic. Date will probably be picked sometime in March or April.