dr.com 2010 Fall Picnic: Sunday, October 17

leleboo

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do I recall correctly that someone has offered to make a bacon bomb for the event? if not, could you? :-)

I made the Bacon Explosion for a cookout this summer which was successful, so I will consider it for the picnic, but I generally have so many sports commitments with the kids on weekends that any plans to put aside time for prep generally get lost.

Oh hai, awesome fall DC weather -- can we have a repeat of today and tomorrow in two weeks? Kthxbai!

Here's the breakdown by dish thus far. We need more of everything (particularly proteins -- think bacon!) -- we have about 70 hungry folks planning on being at the park on the 17th, so let's get cookin'!

Appetizers

• chicken-liver paté
  • blue-cheese gougères (tentative)
  • deviled eggs
  • assorted terrines
  • butternut squash-bacon-sage arrancini (needs a ride)

Meats

• roast meat of some sort
  • pulled pork with fixings
  • coffee-chipotle brisket
  • candied bacon (tentative)

Remember we'll have a grill, too. Anyone in the mood to grill some gourmet
    sausages
    ? Flip a few
    burgers
    ? Bring a
    charcuterie
    platter? Make an
    ? Please do!

Vegetables/Grains

• baked beans
  • orzo salad with roasted artichokes, roasted peppers, and feta

Desserts

• Torta della nonna
  • maple-oatmeal scones
  • assorted baked goods

Drinks

• various beers (can't have too much!)
  • various wines (can't have too much!)
  • rosemary fizz
  • water

Supplies

• propane stove
  • deep-fryer
  • small grill
  • plates and bowls (disposable)
  • napkins and paper towels
  • forks, knives, spoons (disposable)
  • fire extinguisher(s)
  • soccer paraphernalia
  • cooler(s)

I'm still in, +3 or +4 and maybe +5 or +6.

I will definitely have a few small tins of bacon-flavored jelly beans, as well as a bottle of Anthony Bourdain's favorite Al-Massaya arak in hand, but I'm also thinking about a main course or two....

:(

I also have two MREs available, but they should be part of a door prize kind of thing....for another door prize, I can offer the cork from a 2000 Nigl that our fearless leader brought in the spring.

Where do the arancini need a ride from? Please note that if I pick them up, they will be riding to the picnic in my belly.

I still have no idea what I'm making (perhaps squash, bacon, sage arancini :lol). Hosting dinner club the weekend before and going out of town this weekend - one thing at a time...

Where do the arancini need a ride from? Please note that if I pick them up, they will be riding to the picnic in my belly.

I still have no idea what I'm making (perhaps squash, bacon, sage arancini :lol). Hosting dinner club the weekend before and going out of town this weekend - one thing at a time...

Either upper NW (near American University) or, possibly, from Birch and Barley. Likely the latter, unless Gennaro's housemates will be home to perform the hand-off.

(I'm posting this publicly so others in the relevant areas can pipe up, too.)

Two food contributions require transportation:

1) GennaroE's arancini, coming from 14th and Rhode Island Ave NW

2) Poivrot Farci's meatloaf and "autumnal accoutrements," coming from Mt. Pleasant (PM me for precise location if you can pick this up) All set here. Thanks, Barbara!

We'll miss your corporeal presence, gentlemen, but are excited that you'll be there in flavor!

Just over a week away! :(

A quick word about paper goods. As many of you recall, there were a huge number of plates/utensils left over at the last picnic. I have unfortunately discovered that the box in which they were stored has been stolen from my admittedly somewhat makeshift storage area. I still have a good amount and will be buying replacements, since it's my fault I didn't better secure the last set, but if you happen to have extra disposable plates/cups/utensils, and some napkins/paper towels, that you'd like to contribute, they will be welcome!

So, without further ado...

Sunday, October 17th, 2010. Noon to 6 p.m.

, Alexandria, VA. Site C-002

Ladies and gentlemen,
start your ovens!
:)

New members: PLEASE COME TO THE PICNIC! To say "all are welcome" would be gross understatement; the picnic is a great way to meet fellow dr.commers.

If you have any doubts about its awesomeness, check out 1000yregg's photos from the spring shindig.

Here's the breakdown by dish thus far. We need more of everything (particularly proteins -- think bacon!) -- we have about 70 hungry folks planning on being at the park on the 17th, so let's get cookin'!

Appetizers

• chicken-liver paté
  • deviled eggs
  • assorted terrines
  • butternut squash-bacon-sage arancini (needs a ride)

Meats

• baby back ribs
  • chicken wings (Thai peanut and/or spicy bbq)
  • meatloaf with autumnal accoutrements
  • candied bacon (tentative)
  • bacon bomb (tentative) pretty please?

sausages
    ? Flip a few
    burgers
    ? Bring a
    charcuterie
    platter? Make an
    ? Please do!

Vegetables/Grains

• baked beans
  • orzo salad with roasted artichokes, roasted peppers, and feta
  • couscous salad
  • vegetable torte

Desserts

• Torta della nonna
  • maple-oatmeal scones
  • loaded carrot cake
  • something chocolatey (brownies, perhaps)
  • assorted baked goods

Drinks

• rosemary fizz
  • arak
  • water

Supplies

• propane stove
  • deep-fryer
  • small grill
  • fire extinguisher(s)
  • soccer paraphernalia
  • cooler(s)

It's looking like I may not be able to bake/cook anything due to hecticness before the Big Day. If I can't make anything, I might bring an assortment of baklava from Mediterranean Bakery (walnut, cashew, pistachio).

Then again, maybe I'll make some Candied Bacon as bacon is always welcome...

[*]bacon bomb (tentative) pretty please?

I am working on the logistics for that now.

agm is bringing the bullet smoker, and that's the biggest hurdle. I have the prep time on the 16th set aside, and I'm working on the source for the bacon and sausage now. Note: the smoker isn't free until about 1p (which is when I'm getting there), so the Bacon Explosion won't be ready until 2 or 2:30.

Wow, it seems like people are dropping like flies. That makes me sad. Well, let me be a (hopefully adequate :( )replacement. Count me in!!!

And I'm bringing macaroni & tuna fish salad. I know it's not fancy....... ....and it doesn't include bacon. But maybe it will be nostalgic. Like comfort food. :) See you on Sunday!

Sunday, October 17th, 2010. Noon to 6 p.m.

, Alexandria, VA. Site C-002

New members: PLEASE COME TO THE PICNIC! To say "all are welcome" would be gross understatement; the picnic is a great way to meet fellow dr.commers.

Here's the breakdown by dish thus far. More than 70 hungry folks are planning on being at the park on the 17th, so let's get cookin'!

Appetizers

• chicken-liver paté
  • deviled eggs
  • assorted terrines
  • ceviche
  • crudité platter
  • assorted dips/spreads with homemade bread
  • butternut squash-bacon-sage arancini (needs a ride)

Meats

• fried chicken
  • baby back ribs
  • khao soi (chicken curry noodles)
  • chicken wings (Thai peanut and/or spicy bbq)
  • gumbo
  • meatloaf with autumnal accoutrements
  • bacon bomb

sausages
    ? Flip a few
    burgers
    ? Bring a
    charcuterie
    platter? Make an
    ? Please do!

Vegetables/Grains

• baked beans
  • roasted artichokes, roasted peppers, and feta
  • celeriac, carrot, and apple remoulade
  • vegetable torte
  • red beans and rice
  • rice and vegetable salad
  • couscous salad
  • macaroni-tuna salad
  • macaroni and cheese
  • linguini with prosciutto

Desserts

• Torta della nonna
  • maple-oatmeal scones
  • loaded carrot cake
  • something chocolatey (brownies, perhaps)
  • chess pie
  • pie baked in a cake!
  • assorted baked goods

Drinks

• rosemary fizz
  • arak
  • water

Supplies -- A quick word about paper goods. As many of you recall, there were a huge number of plates/utensils left over at the last picnic. I have unfortunately discovered that the box in which they were stored has been stolen from my admittedly somewhat makeshift storage area. I still have a good amount and will be buying replacements, since it's my fault I didn't better secure the last set, but if you happen to have extra disposable plates/cups/utensils, and some napkins/paper towels, that you'd like to contribute, they will be welcome!

• propane stove
  • deep-fryer
  • small grill
  • fire extinguisher(s)
  • soccer paraphernalia
  • cooler(s)

Just to clarify, do you want us to bring small propane stove (not on legs)? Do you want us to bring Weber charcoal grill?

Great question for the picnicking public ... I know thistle is bringing some stoves also, so you might PM her to coordinate, but stoves and grills are always welcome. That said, I don't have anything this year that has been put forth requiring said items, so if it's a hassle, no worries if you want to leave them at home.

Is anyone bringing a fryer???? I was considering bringing some chicken to fry and some mac and cheese since we seem to be lacking in sides....any objections? if no fryer would be available, i could fry it at the restaurant and then bring it. Also will have my boys in tow as well as my lovely wife.

Yes, we'll have a fryer!! No objections (OMG OF COURSE NO OBJECTIONS.)

My ambition to bake has well dissipated as my past couple weeks and this week have been so busy at work and on the weekends. I will still be bringing a dessert either homemade, or bought somewhere good nearby. I am also thinking about stopping by the Italian Store to get their antipasta salad and broccoli and tomato salad with blue cheese (although sometimes this is scarce on weekends).

Forecast still 74 and sunny. I'm pretty sure that's perfect picnic weather. WHEEEEE!

I'll post the final "menu" tomorrow morning, but in the meantime, here's what we still need:

1. A ride for GennaroE's arancini! I suggest PM'ing him directly to arrange this, since otherwise I'm not sure these will be coming to the picnic.
  2. If anyone wants to join me at the park around 11 a.m. to help with set-up, that would be fantastic.
  3. Knives and serving utensils for dishes that require specialized equipment. Don't break out the fine china -- just don't forget to bring what you need to serve your cake/dish up your gumbo/slice your homemade bread!
  4. The primary paper good needs are utensils and plates. We have a good amount still, just probably not enough for the 80 or so of us to try some of everything ... :(

For the newbies among us: please come say hi! I'll be the one with the geekiest possible t-shirt and a stack of nametags to welcome everyone. Also, don't feel as if you have to arrive on the dot of noon or won't be able to participate. Food will be arriving throughout the day, and items cooked on-site will be ready at different times, so come and go at your leisure!

There'll be a cookbook swap, soccer and/or lacross stuff for the kids -- and grownups, I mean, why not? -- and a possible wine tasting/device comparison, so stay tuned, and see you all Sunday!

... Also, don't feel as if you have to arrive on the dot of noon or won't be able to participate. Food will be arriving throughout the day, and items cooked on-site will be ready at different times, so come and go at your leisure!

Indeed, I'll be arriving with the Bacon Explosions about 1pm, and they'll still have to go in the smoker, so won't be served until between 2 and 3.

...soccer ... stuff for the kids -- and grownups, I mean, why not?

Likewise, soccer goals/balls/cones not arriving until 1, and there have certainly been adult games played in the past (including one of the more infamous DR.com picnic stories.)

Even though we have ongoing home remodeling (they were supposed to be finished before now & I think they intend to work through the weekend), we still plan on being there Sunday-we'll try to get there early for setup, w/ canopy, tables, stove, pulled pork/poundcakes, any paperplates/utensils, cups I can round up, & cookbooks to exchange (as well as Gourmet & Saveur mags, if one more person reads them before they get sent to a recycle bin, I'll be happy). Now, if we have any sewers looking for Threads magazines, speak up & I'll lug them, too...