bnacpa

Anthony Bourdain (1956-), American Culinary TV Personality, Author, and Host of CNN's "Parts Unknown"

I know the book has been around for 6 years or so, but I recently read Kitchen Confidential while I was on my trip to Hawaii and it was a great read. Out of curiosity, does anyone know who he is referring to as Bigfoot?

Also, has anyone here actually tasted Anthony Bourdain's food? Does he suck per his own self assessment or is he just being self depricating?

I know the book has been around for 6 years or so, but I recently read Kitchen Confidential while I was on my trip to Hawaii and it was a great read. Out of curiosity, does anyone know who he is referring to as Bigfoot?
I actually asked him this very question at a book-signing when he came to town to promote it. I made the assumption that everybody in NYC knew who this was; however, he insisted that was not so and, given that Bigfoot was still in the business, he didn't want to identify him publicly.

Also, has anyone here actually tasted Anthony Bourdain's food? Does he suck per his own self assessment or is he just being self depricating?

I ate at Les Halles NYC, right after Kitchen Confidential came out (I was intrigued by the book and was working just outside of the city at the time). Pretty damn satisfying French bistro food-- I'd say about the best I've ever had in the US. Saw Bourdain walk out and hail a cab right as I was walking in, so he wasn't in the kitchen that night, though.

I love watching his travel show. His snark is surpassed only by his appetite for the absurd. That man will eat things which I would not be in the same room as!

Squeezle anyone?

No?

How 'bout some spittle spirits? :)

Mmmm. Squeezle. :)

Personally, I hope they do more of the recuts with commentary - the Iceland episode was way funnier that way. "Who thought it was a good idea to go to Iceland in February?!"

Think what you will about the guy, but you gotta admit, no other food show is going to take you to an Inuit kitchen where you can join in on eating a freshly slaughtered seal raw, including the special treat that is the eyeball. His program is unique and refreshing, even if the "Bourdainity" of it is getting a little tired.

But even then, it's nowhere near as tired as most of the offerings on the Food Network, which just get lamer and lamer.

May I just say: the man is sickeningly handsome. I mean, just ridiculously good-looking.

May I just say: the man is sickeningly handsome. I mean, just ridiculously good-looking.

i was going to say the same thing. i think that it's all in his attitude.

i was going to say the same thing. i think that it's all in his attitude.

No...it's the looks...I'd love to see a quasimodo cop the same attitude and get away with it...never...looks count!

Will we see you in a year saying, "Oh, I had drinks with Rachael Ray, and actually, she's all right"?

Yeah, right. "After the hot-tub incident, I've changed my mind."

:unsure:

Strange to schedule it at the same time as Tom's chat....

They're actually pretty in sync with pacing both chats...makes it very easy to have them up side by side on the screen.

Anthony Bourdain: I can't possibly say enough good things about the U.S. Marine Corps or enough bad things about the embassy and the State Department.

Ouch.

FWIW, there's a lot of things people don't seem to get about the realities of an evacuation. Not an excuse, absolutely not, but its very, very complicated. In general, and particularly in this situation.

K

Ouch.

FWIW, there's a lot of things people don't seem to get about the realities of an evacuation. Not an excuse, absolutely not, but its very, very complicated. In general, and particularly in this situation.

K

Of course it's complicated. But Bourdain's impression generally applies in simple situations as well.

I was greatly disappointed that he didn't take my question. I asked: after the minibar ran dry were you able to get more liquor?

Ouch.

K

But he did explain why he felt that way and I think it was a legitimate complaint. He was not the only one to report that the State Department and the Embassy just were not that much help to the folks trapped there by the fighting. And there were quite a few people who reported that the Marines did a fantastic job under difficult conditions and little time. I think he was extremely impressed by the sensitiveity, compassion, and understanding that was exhibited by the Marines, not traits that you normally attribute to the Corps.

But he did explain why he felt that way and I think it was a legitimate complaint. He was not the only one to report that the State Department and the Embassy just were not that much help to the folks trapped there by the fighting. And there were quite a few people who reported that the Marines did a fantastic job under difficult conditions and little time. I think he was extremely impressed by the sensitiveity, compassion, and understanding that was exhibited by the Marines, not traits that you normally attribute to the Corps.
Several months in Baghdad bore this out for me: top-notch military, sullen Embassy.

Maybe living off of MREs makes you more charitable to others? :)

Maybe living off of MREs makes you more charitable to others? :)
That's the lesser-known secondary side effect of saltpeter.