Oreo (1912-), Nabisco's Chocolate Biscuits with a Sweet Crème Filling, and the Best Selling Cookie in America

ktmoomau

I didn't see a thread on oreo's.  I am really a sucker for the original oreo and a glass of milk.  It was my cookie of choice growing up.  I haven't loved a lot of the flavored Oreo's, BUT I will give a shout out to the thin salted caramel Oreo's.  I think they are really good.  I wanted to try birthday cake with vanilla cookie, but haven't seen it around when I grocery shop.

Do y'all remember Hydrox? When I was poor and growing up, my mom would get a pound of Hydrox for 99 cents. My two little brothers and I would eat them as our Friday night entertainment. 

Yes, Oreos were better, but Hydrox weren't bad either.

Double stuffs...might have to put those on the grocery list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I didn't see a thread on oreo's.  I am really a sucker for the original oreo and a glass of milk.  It was my cookie of choice growing up.  I haven't loved a lot of the flavored Oreo's, BUT I will give a shout out to the thin salted caramel Oreo's.  I think they are really good.  I wanted to try birthday cake with vanilla cookie, but haven't seen it around when I grocery shop.

Did you open them and eat the frosting first, or dip them in your milk whole? The originals were my favorite growing up.

1 hour ago, DIShGo said:

Did you open them and eat the frosting first, or dip them in your milk whole? The originals were my favorite growing up.

We used to dip whole, but prior to DoubleStuf, we'd open up, make our own DoubleStuf, and eat the two outside cookies separately.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

Do y'all remember Hydrox? When I was poor and growing up, my mom would get a pound of Hydrox for 99 cents. My two little brothers and I would eat them as our Friday night entertainment. 

Yes, Oreos were better, but Hydrox weren't bad either.

Double stuffs...might have to put those on the grocery list.

Hydrox were thicker, and with a fluffier biscuit. The crème was less dense and sweet - in essence, they were more "airy" than Oreo. While bigger, they probably both weighed about the same per cookie.

Now, if you want to go with Chips Ahoy, we start talking about portions defined in "columns" as the basic unit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2018 at 4:12 PM, DIShGo said:

Dip them in the milk whole, but I don't think double stuffed were around when I was little.  I actually had a little juice glass/shot glass at my Aunt's house that I used just for milk to dip cookies in, I think she still has it.  It had a paddlewheel boat on it, I assume they got in NOLA. As far as sweets go, we didn't get a lot of non-homemade items- Oreo and plain vanilla ice cream with hershey's syrup were probably the most frequent store bought desserts we got.

I gave up on Oreos when the transfats were taken out.  Totally changed the texture of the filling and made them unpalatable to me.  I still like the chocolate cookie part, but I'd rather pull them apart, scrape the original filling out, and put a schmear of something else on top of the cookies.

Oreo cookies are the best! My favorite growing up except when I was in the mood for vanilla cookies (Vienna Fingers, which I can't find any more :().  Nowadays they are the only cookie I buy from the regular store, though sometimes cookies from Trade Joe's sneak in the basket. If you crush a couple and top your ice cream with them, it's just about as good as going to Cold Stone. And the oreo cookie pie crust is my definition of holiday decadence. Original only, as I think the new flavors (excepting double-stuffed) are a travesty. 

Recently tried the Megastuff variety - seemed like 2.5-3 times the original or 1.5 double stuff filling ratio. They were good no doubt but seemed a bit much, I'll probably stick to double stuff. I like the original but double stuffed are more of a good thing. Also yes you have to eat at least one with pulling off the cream, but I like eating the cookie whole too so I tried to do both. 

Speaking of store-bought cookies, the best I have tried are "Whisked! American Classics," baked and packaged in DC. I buy them at The Organic Butcher of McLean and at Streets Market in Del Ray. Their Pretzel Cowboy Cookies are my favorite.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:13 AM, weezy said:

I gave up on Oreos when the transfats were taken out.  Totally changed the texture of the filling and made them unpalatable to me.  I still like the chocolate cookie part, but I'd rather pull them apart, scrape the original filling out, and put a schmear of something else on top of the cookies.

I never liked the cream. I always scraped it out and threw it away.

Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers are quite nice, and cookie-wise, very close.

Better - NewmanOs have both good cookies and good cream.

• Like 1