Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

DSC06911-001.JPG.d376de196a7f88a7cdce2e766ec149f6.JPG

Ricotta, miele e pistacchi.

It's barely a recipe. Spoon ricotta cheese into a bowl, then pour a little milk or half-and-half over. Use a fork to whip ricotta cheese so that liquid is completely incorporated. Spoon whipped cheese into another bowl, drizzle with honey and top with chopped pistachio nuts.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TrelayneNYC said:

DSC06911-001.JPG.d376de196a7f88a7cdce2e766ec149f6.JPG

Ricotta, miele e pistacchi.

It's barely a recipe. Spoon ricotta cheese into a bowl, then pour a little milk or half-and-half over. Use a fork to whip ricotta cheese so that liquid is completely incorporated. Spoon whipped cheese into another bowl, drizzle with honey and top with chopped pistachio nuts.

Why do you spoon the whipped cheese into another bowl - for aesthetics?

As a bachelor-slug, I'm leaning towards drizzling honey and topping with nuts in the mixing bowl.

(It saves a dish to wash. Hell, I'm thinking of doing the whole thing in the plastic tub of ricotta, like instant ramen.) :)

Seriously, is there any advantage, other than refinement, to re-plating the mixed cheese before adding the condiments?

1 hour ago, TrelayneNYC said:

DSC00231-001.JPG.cb4e8315dda54d9219129d581429ef4e.JPG

DSC00239-001.JPG.108268aaf34cd162625ddf23d4f63590.JPG

Asparagus with eggs and Palestinian za'atar

Oooh.  I like those ingredients.  I’ll make that.   Here is the recipe again with a different plating  — a little more light on the end result.

Every so often,  I’ll walk by MeJana in the morning.  If i’m Very lucky during good weather, one of the owners will be sitting with staff having a morning za’atar on their thin freshly baked warm pita bread (divine when fresh) amply sprinkled with za’atar plus coffee.  I’ve been invited to sit with them.  I’ve been told that is a morning breakfast tradition in Lebanon.   It’s a wonderful treat.

I’m partial to the ingredients above—now if only I could add that marvelous freshly baked very thin pita.

• Like 2

For breakfast today, we had:

DSC00521-001.JPG.38f51271e028352bd97f78a2005b9432.JPG

Roast chicken salad with haricots verts and mustard vinaigrette

Good Sunday morning!

Adapted from Buvette by Jody Williams, page 80.

8 small potatoes
coarse salt
1/4 kg haricots verts, trimmed
salad greens (I used mesclun, radish greens, fava greens and arugula)
freshly ground black pepper
120 ml vinaigrette (recipe follows)
leftover roast chicken
1 tbsp. (14 g) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. (14 g) whole-grain mustard
2 radishes, thinly sliced

vinaigrette (page 258):

2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
1 tsp. (4 g) fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, grated on a Microplane grater
3 tbsp. (44 ml) red wine vinegar
120 ml extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. (15 ml) water
pinch of sugar
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper

DSC00527-001.JPG.a80f7c2aadc4eb10d067132d3fbacb2c.JPG

Boiling potatoes whole is a technique I picked up recently. It ensures even cooking and less water-soaked vegetables. For a medium-sized potato, it will be completely cooked in about 15 minutes. Larger sized potatoes will take about 20 minutes.

Lift out with a slotted spoon, then plunge into a bowl of ice water. When cool, peel as normal (peel should slip right off), then use as desired.

If you don't want to deal with boiling, you can also steam them whole.

DSC00537-001.JPG.aca712acc205785ba77e77b14c669d39.JPG

If you don't have a microplane grater, you might be able to achieve nearly the same texture by pounding the garlic in a mortar and pestle or by sprinkling the garlic clove with some salt and mashing it with the tines of a fork on a cutting board.

Either way, you'll end up with a paste that looks a little like this. This is about 1 teaspoon (4 grams) garlic paste.

DSC00534-001.JPG.2578e535b945171bfd04d401eccc962b.JPG

Trim the haricots verts by removing both ends just like you would regular green beans. (I know you don't need to trim off the tapered end but this is just personal preference.) Prepare by simmering in boiling water (ideally the same pot you cooked the potatoes in) for five minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon and plunge into a bowl of ice water, then drain.

DSC00549-001.JPG.de55719645ba8d9aa5ed2a03ea992da1.JPG

For the vinaigrette, combine the shallots, garlic paste, chopped thyme, salt, sugar, black pepper and red wine vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Whisk in olive oil until you have about 2/3 cup (158 ml).

Whisk until all ingredients are combined.

DSC00557-001.JPG.e820ebfb0f273cb2571c3dc321c18c39.JPG

Then whisk in 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard and 1 tbsp. whole grain mustard. Taste and correct for salt and pepper.

DSC00555-001.JPG.0fe4b1ed36693437d03143a3f693d063.JPG

Once the potatoes are cool, slice into 1/4" (6 mm) thick rounds. Or you can slice them into wedges. It'll work either way.

DSC00558-001.JPG.723e939d0c00f13c5fe2d0f363007cb6.JPG

To plate the salad, take some salad greens and toss with 1/3 of the vinaigrette, then arrange on a platter.

Take the potatoes and green beans, place in a bowl, then add 1/3 of the vinaigrette and toss those with the dressing. Spoon vegetables atop the greens.

Tear the roast chicken into bite-sized pieces, then top the potatoes and green beans with the chicken. Drizzle vinaigrette on top. Scatter radish slices, grind a little more black pepper on top, then serve at once.

This recipe is sized for 4 people and takes about 1 hour from start to finish, including prep time.

DSC00571-001.JPG.0c51d72f0a979f3c3027c826a5e452a4.JPG

• Like 3

Iced latte made in a cocktail shaker with Nespresso Cafecita de Cuba 

WF mini cinnamon rolls (heated).

Strawberries from farmers market.

In my house, weekday breakfast is an exercise in what my Dad calls “food assembly” rather than cooking!

3 hours ago, smithhemb said:

Iced latte made in a cocktail shaker with Nespresso Cafecita de Cuba 

I love the Cafecita de Cuba!  It's one of my current favorites.  I have been making my iced coffee with the arpeggio recently, as my Mom loves the Cuba for her hot morning coffee.  I need to get on the ball and make myself some ice cubes...  I thought about getting the sleeve for iced coffee, have you tried those?

Haven’t tried the iced coffee blends yet — or the made for milk line (it bugged me that I couldn’t find an intensity rating on the usual scale).  A year or so ago, I switched our default from Arpeggio to Dharkan after a series of blind taste tests on my husband.  Then I tried and liked Cafecita so bought that for me and the other for him.  Now he wants in on the Cuban action, LOL!  It does sort of freak me out that, on top of the waste/recycling issues, making iced lattes with the Nespresso basically costs the same as Starbucks with the pricy Cafecita capsules ($1.25 vs. $.70 or $.75).

Since we almost always drink our coffee iced, I should probably experiment more with cold brew.  The Takeya pitchers (which I use mostly for iced tea) make it really simple/non-messy.

3 hours ago, smithhemb said:

Haven’t tried the iced coffee blends yet — or the made for milk line (it bugged me that I couldn’t find an intensity rating on the usual scale).  A year or so ago, I switched our default from Arpeggio to Dharkan after a series of blind taste tests on my husband.  Then I tried and liked Cafecita so bought that for me and the other for him.  Now he wants in on the Cuban action, LOL!  It does sort of freak me out that, on top of the waste/recycling issues, making iced lattes with the Nespresso basically costs the same as Starbucks with the pricy Cafecita capsules ($1.25 vs. $.70 or $.75).

Since we almost always drink our coffee iced, I should probably experiment more with cold brew.  The Takeya pitchers (which I use mostly for iced tea) make it really simple/non-messy.

Yeah, I always recycle the caps, but who knows how really recycled that is... If I try one, I will let you know.  Although I have plenty of caps to go through before I really need another order, I kind of overdid my last order because I wanted the cuban and wanted to try the Parisian ones (although I wasn't super impressed, at least not with the light green one).  I drink more coffee, and mostly iced coffee in the summer.  My issue is that normally I just don't drink enough coffee to keep ground beans fresh. 

6 hours ago, smithhemb said:

The Takeya pitchers (which I use mostly for iced tea) make it really simple/non-messy.

I love my Takeya pitcher for cold brew! It uses a fair amount of grounds, but it's really simple and the result is delicious.

Re recycling the caps.  I do too (I live about 3 blocks from a Nespresso shop so it’s NBD) but, yeah, I’ve always wondered how much energy gets wasted transporting, cleaning, and reprocessing the aluminum in those pods.  But the kicker was when they gave me a free ballpoint pen supposedly made from that recycled aluminum — and it wasn’t refillable!  WTF?!  This has to be virtue signaling at its most cynical (or moronic).

• Like 1

DSC02244-001.JPG.c26d2bd182f814bf49108b8ac98c6268.JPG

DSC02249-001.JPG.281c861440295db7c86623f32e92c8ac.JPG

DSC02254-001.JPG.78657b20165f820b74e5a92a31733034.JPG

DSC02273-001.JPG.ebd5cedc23a96613b3820a05a6931305.JPG

DSC02297-001.JPG.0b92a06c8dd6533719257a5ba3d77496.JPG

DSC02300-001.JPG.ccb05555affca5ddfb8245d2c98c4fab.JPG

For breakfast on Sunday, I made a batch of caponata:

3 eggplants, cubed
olive oil
4 celery stalks, diced
1 red onion, sliced into wedges
20 g capers
5-6 tomatoes, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
100 ml red wine vinegar
30 g sugar
salt
black pepper

This was a hit with hubby and we served it with toasted pita and some soft-boiled eggs. I think I'll make it again next weekend...and double the recipe.

Adapted from Polpo, page 246.

• Like 1

I saw this recipe recently for Filipino ground beef omelette.  I decided to give it a try and on Sunday, fried up a lb. of ground beef w/ a can of diced tomatoes, 1 diced onion, garlic and frozen mixed veggies.   Once that was cooled, I popped it in the fridge for the next morning.  Each morning, I've been scrambling up an egg and adding a bit of the beef mixture to make a fritter and it's delicious and easy.  

• Like 1

Strawberry smoothie w/a pint of Barajas strawberries, a cup of yogurt, some yogurt whey we had from Lebne making, brown sugar simple syrup, 2 Thai bananas, 1/2 cup ice. Blended till smooth.

Stoned wheat thins with Boxcar 'brie'

Beanetics Coffee Tanzanian Peaberry, quite feisty. 

• Like 1

Veal tongue sandwich on Atwater sourdough w/ homemade may. homemade fermented mustard. 

Coffee: beanestics Flores, a new origin for us. Very smooth, fell. Not as fruity and the Bali bloe moon but quite good indeed. 

Spot had half a pizza, and a TJ's cat treat and is recovering in bed.