Pizza By The Slice

Don't forget the famous Mystic pizza.

For a slice of pie around DC you need to come to Rockville and stop off at Giuseppe's (around the corner from the county buildings).

The owners, Scott and his mom, are from my neighborhood in Pittsburgh. Scott grew up working at Mineo's, which is a local pizza legend. He brought all of the recipes with him. Pittsburgh pie is slightly thicker than NY style with more toppings, but not as thick as what you get from the massive chains.

Or, get the Italian combo sub. He took this from Aiello's which is three doors away from Mineo's in the Squirrel Hill section of Pgh.

Edited by JPW

I think the author of this book bestowed upon 2 Amy's the blue ribbon for the best pizza in DC, and rates many of New Yorks finest as well. I seem to recall (not having read the book) that he said the best Pizza was to be found in Phoenix, AZ -- go figure. When I lived in Geneva, which has many fine places serving European style pies which are incredibly good, but lack the sheen of grease that distinguishes NY pizza, on occasion I found myself jonesing for a slice of Ray's pie. :P

Edited by FunnyJohn

The great thing about NY and New Haven Pizza is that it is usually available by the slice.  DC lacks that big time.  Cappucino's in GTown is the only place that I know of that sells slices- and it's not very good.

If you're really desperate for a slice there is always Pizza Mart in Adams Morgan. Huge greasy slices that somehow taste so much better after quite a few drinks.

Looks like some actual work is going on at Alberto's (after thay've had the same "closed 3-6 weeks for repairs" sign up for the past 4 months), so hopefully they'll soon reclaim their place as my favorite by-the-slice pizza in the area (4am on weekends!).

On the rare occasions I cross over into N. Va. I make a side trip to the Italian Store for a slice.

I know this is a common lament, but really I have no idea why the corner pizza store hasn't taken off in DC...in Albany there were 4 such places with in a 5 minute walk of my apartment.

I know this is a common lament, but really I have no idea why the corner pizza store hasn't taken off in DC

Because the standards for excellence are the sweet/gloppy Italian Store and the inexplicably overrated Vace? :P

Now, if there were a couple more places like Alberto's...

Because the standards for excellence are the sweet/gloppy Italian Store and the inexplicably overrated Vace?  :wub:

Uh oh.

Vace overrated? I've never bought anything but ingredients there, but many folks whose palates I trust speak highly of it.

As for the Italian Store, why bother with pizza when you can get a sandwich? :P

Uh oh.

Vace overrated?  I've never bought anything but ingredients there, but many folks whose palates I trust speak highly of it.

As for the Italian Store, why bother with pizza when you can get a sandwich?   :P

Because you can eat a slice while you're waiting for your sandwich?

edited to add: And Vace is not overrated, it is just one of the few places that serves pizza by the slice.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

What, you mean you don't get pineapple on yours?
Stop that. It's gross.
However, the pre-made Milanos sitting in the basket are gross (albeit real time-savers), as the juice from the sweet peppers and vinaigrette creeps into the rolls, even the hard rolls, and for some reason the interplay with the provolone takes on the aroma of Play Doh

Premade sandwiches... ::shudder::

Armands serves pizza by the slice. Deep dish is bad, but the thin crust is OK.

I've been on the east coast for seven years and I still don't understand this folding slice obsession. This is what pizza looks like:

pizza.jpg

Note: It is not a soggy cracker wetted with tomato sauce and a dash of cheese.

(Franchise opportunities available, if you want to spread the light.)

Edited by babka

So I'm watching tv tonight and I see a couple eating slices of pizza in New York -- makes me wonder, is there any good New York style pizza in DC? I enjoy Paradiso and 2 Amys for what they are, and even Alberto's ... but am craving a New York style slice. Can I get one in DC, or do I need to hop a train to Brooklyn?

So I'm watching tv tonight and I see a couple eating slices of pizza in New York -- makes me wonder, is there any good New York style pizza in DC?  I enjoy Paradiso and 2 Amys for what they are, and even Alberto's ...  but am craving a New York style slice.  Can I get one in DC, or do I need to hop a train to Brooklyn?

Here we go again...between here and Chowhound, this seems to come up every few months.

So here's how it works. People will come into the topic, state their credentials (here's mine: I grew up in Philly, with NY parents, moved to SoFla with all the other NY expats, and worked in a pizza joint) and tell you that while XXX place makes a decent slice, it's just not NY. Then JoeH will come by and say that CT pizza is better anyway.

The sum of the argument - there are a few places to get something that's ok, but it's just not going to be the slice from your memory. As you say, 2 Amy's is good, though not NY style. From the MD perspective, I'm partial to Vace in Bethesda and Mamma Lucia's in Rockville (ONLY the Federal Plaza location), but on a recent trip to NY, I realized I'd forgotten how far short they really fall. I haven't found anything worth discussing in DC, though I've heard something about a few places in NoVa that are also ok.

Next!

Here we go again...between here and Chowhound, this seems to come up every few months.

So here's how it works. People will come into the topic, state their credentials (here's mine: I grew up in Philly, with NY parents, moved to SoFla with all the other NY expats, and worked in a pizza joint) and tell you that while XXX place makes a decent slice, it's just not NY. Then JoeH will come by and say that CT pizza is better anyway.

The sum of the argument - there are a few places to get something that's ok, but it's just not going to be the slice from your memory. As you say, 2 Amy's is good, though not NY style. From the MD perspective, I'm partial to Vace in Bethesda and Mamma Lucia's in Rockville (ONLY the Federal Plaza location), but on a recent trip to NY, I realized I'd forgotten how far short they really fall. I haven't found anything worth discussing in DC, though I've heard something about a few places in NoVa that are also ok.

Next!

Thanks, I am cleaning the coffee from my monitor! :lol:

I would describe that as an excellent summary of the situation. Might I add, why not look in DC for what is good in DC, instead of trying to recreate what is good somewhere else? Let NY have their (great) pizza, and let them wonder where all the good DC-like Ethiopian restaurants are in NY.

Might I add, why not look in DC for what is good in DC, instead of trying to recreate what is good somewhere else?  Let NY have their (great) pizza, and let them wonder where all the good DC-like Ethiopian restaurants are in NY.

Oh, I think most of us completely agree with you. It doesn't mean we still don't miss things like NY pizza, deli and bagels, Philly steaks, etc.

I think you hit the nail on the head. For Mamma Lucia in Bethesda is good too (Shady Grove Road is terrible). I am not a Vace fan, but right on with everything else.

The NoVa places worth going to would be Tony's Pizza in Fair Lakes - The far end of the Walmart Shopping Center. I have heard Italian Store in Arlington, but have never been.

In the name of research :lol: I dragged the kids to Mamma Lucia's on Rockville Pike tonight for a pie. Half cheese, half pepperoni.

It was what I call a usual night for ML. You have to make sure to ask for medium-well, so they don't undercook it. The tomato sauce is a bit underseasoned, so sprinkle a little oregano on the top for flavor. The crust is very flavorful (they properly rise the dough in oil rather than water) though I wish the outer crust was a bit taller so it would blister more. The crust is a perfect thickness, with just the right ratio of sauce to cheese. The pepperoni is nicely spicy, and the cheese is good, if not spectacular.

Overall, it certainly evokes NY style pizza, but it's still inferior to the average Brooklyn shop.

Note that Tuesday remains pizza night at all ML locations - carrout pies are buy one get one for $1 (toppings extra). Quite a deal, though expect a 45 minute delay from order until your pies are ready.

Okay sorry if this is *too* off topic, but I figure since we're on the topic of regional foods...

I'm going up to philly in a few weeks and want to have a cheesesteak. I know Pat's/Geno's are supposed to be the "originals", but I had one or the other and wasn't really blown away. Can anyone recommend a better local joint? Or is that as good as it gets and I just don't have the taste for it?

You have to make sure to ask for medium-well, so they don't undercook it.

In my experience with ML, this is critical. They really love to undercook their pies. I also think their sauce:cheese ratio is off (too much cheese), but that may just be me. Thanks for the research effort, Daniel! Edited by smokey

Okay sorry if this is *too* off topic, but I figure since we're on the topic of regional foods...

I'm going up to philly in a few weeks and want to have a cheesesteak.  I know Pat's/Geno's are supposed to be the "originals", but I had one or the other and wasn't really blown away.  Can anyone recommend a better local joint?  Or is that as good as it gets and I just don't have the taste for it?

I'm sure Don is shortly going to move this to the Philly topic, but the answer is easy: Tony Luke's. For the original Philly Cheesesteak, get "wiz wit", which means Cheeze Wiz and fried onions. If you actually want a GOOD sandwich, get "pizza wit", which is mild provolone, pizza sauce, and fried onions. Just don't order the Steak Hoagie (lettuce, tomato, mayo, pickles) unless you want them to laugh at you.

And, while you're there, you need to get a Roast Pork Italian, which comes with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone. Tony Luke's may have the best cheesesteaks around, but the Roast Pork is better.

In my experience with ML, this is critical.  They really love to undercook their pies.  I also think their sauce:cheese ratio is off (too much cheese), but that may just be me.  Thanks for the research effort, Daniel!

The undercooking and the rather flavorless sauce is why I have never been a ML fan. Now that I no longer live in MoCo I am not going to have the occasion to try one medium well. Lately I have been ordering from Don Alberto's, and have very happy with the pies I have received. I am not sure if the Arlington and Alexandria stores have any relations to the Alberto's that others have mentioned.