Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hi All,

My name is Josh and I'm a self-proclaimed foodie (and avid reader of food-related blogs) from Portland, OR. I met my wife in DC while there on business and we are finally on our way back to celebrate our anniversary. We are looking forward to seeing what the food scene really has to offer, as we did not have much free time when we were there. Hopefully this will be the beginning of many future return trips.

Thanks to Don and everyone for putting together such a great community & resource!

Best,

Josh

Hi to all--I joined a while ago and have never posted. So here goes. I am Julia, I live in the burbs. I love to cook and eat great food. I read lots and love to read cookbooks as well as serious lit. My most recent restaurant visit was to The Source for lunch this week. I was not that impressed. We had tea that was cold soon after serving and a long wait--the bar person said something about the hot water thing only heating a little at a time??--next time they should have the kitchen heat some water. The appetizer of mini pork-belly dumplings was delicious. We had the shrimp noodle dish which hit the spot and the short rib noodle dish which was too sweet with little meat or vegetables. The restaurant was cold as they had the door open--perhaps to let people know they were open? All in all, I do not think it was worth the bill with better pan asain availabe in the area for much less. I am looking forward to my 8th visit to Present

Hi! I am new to thesite but am excited to to explore all it has to offer. We eat out often and find ourselves going to the same places over and over. I look forward to using what I learn here to branch out and try great, new places.

Greetings on this rainy Sunday in Northern Virginia.

I have never viewed or joined a food blog before and frankly didn't know they existed until reading about them in the Washington Post this morning. I have been a foodie all my life and always wanted a place to either find that "perfect food" or tell someone about it myself. The best piece of blueberry pie I ever had was in York, ME, but I never could find a way to tell everyone about that.

I'm happy to find a place like this where we can share that information.

thanks Don for the opportunity to read others suggestions and recommendations and to leave of few of my own as well.

and for the help to get this posted too........

I have never viewed or joined a food blog before and frankly didn't know they existed until reading about them in the Washington Post this morning. I have been a foodie all my life and always wanted a place to either find that "perfect food" or tell someone about it myself. The best piece of blueberry pie I ever had was in York, ME, but I never could find a way to tell everyone about that.

thanks Don for the opportunity to read others suggestions and recommendations and to leave of few of my own as well.

[The first one is always the most difficult.] :rolleyes:

(P.S. Try Heather Chittum's blueberry pie at Tackle Box in Georgetown!)

Welcome fellow Gemini!

-from a fellow NoVanian ;-)

Welcome fellow Gemini!

-from a fellow NoVanian ;-)

Any tips on getting around easily, I'm spending way too much time looking through things I don't want or need.

My focus at the moment is finding good "normal" food close by. It's really pretty easy to find a great "special" place to eat, everyone talks about those. But I'm looking for places to go on a regular basis, not too far away, not too expensive, where the food is good, you feel welcome and want to go back regularly. And not a chain right across the street in that strip mall!

Any tips on getting around easily, I'm spending way too much time looking through things I don't want or need.

My focus at the moment is finding good "normal" food close by. It's really pretty easy to find a great "special" place to eat, everyone talks about those. But I'm looking for places to go on a regular basis, not too far away, not too expensive, where the food is good, you feel welcome and want to go back regularly. And not a chain right across the street in that strip mall!

In Alexandria, I recommend Hank's, A La Lucia, Overwood and Southside 815. There's a lot of good food with good prices out there!

I'm Patrick Malone, new to the forum, a lawyer downtown with my own firm (www.patrickmalonelaw.com) and lover of foods of all kinds. Today since the usual chef here, my wife Vicki, is out of town, I'm making a polenta with mushroom ragout, with the polenta and recipe coming from Anson Mills in SC, which has great mail order heirloom products. Last great meal was at Siroc, coincidentally reviewed in today's Post. I would have given it another star. By comparison, I just got back from a short trip to Las Vegas, where I ate at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, and had his spring tasting menu. The food was spectacular but the service was barely competent and snobbishly indifferent. At Siroc, on the other hand, the chef came out and introduced the courses; service was friendly but not overly fawning -- the kind of place you want to go back to soon.

The dining guide is here.

It's only available to people who make at least one post, and here's why:

In order to keep the membership current and vibrant, anyone who doesn't sign in for a year (and who has never posted) gets deleted. The reason for this is because I don't want to inflate our membership numbers with inactive users.

Because of this, every single month I go in and remove about 50 people - and it's a PAIN! It takes a long time to validate new members, and to have to delete them a year later (especially if they've only signed in once) is arduous. So the dining guide is the reward for being active here.

You'll find it very useful, and if I can find someone to help me (hint, hint, hint), it will soon be an iPhone app.

For the Shopping and Cooking forum, the inscutable mktye has created this index.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hello everyone,

My name is Marty, I have lived in the Washington DC area over 30 years and Fairfax Co. for nearly 6 of them. My wife and I enjoy ethnic dining, but also the occasional night out at a four star restaurant. Food related hobbies include brewing beer, home cured products, 'cue. My wife was a restaurant manager for TGI Fridays another lifetime ago.

You'll find it very useful, and if I can find someone to help me (hint, hint, hint), it will soon be an iPhone app.

For the Shopping and Cooking forum, the inscutable mktye has created this index.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'd be happy to help, but you are talking to the person who couldn't even get the first message up! and I don't have an iPhone (just an iPod!)

but appreaciate your help, now to go on a restaurant hunt!

Hello All,

David Helms here.

I live in Clarendon and my wife and I have pretty much eaten our way through a lot of what DC has to offer and a lot of Northern Virginia as well.

The best thing about living in Clarendon is walkability to the local restaurants, but the downside is we've pretty much worn them out at this point.

Always on the lookout for something new and interesting to try and will be sharing our discoveries, but sometimes the tried and true is still the best.

Today we opted for our rainy sunday standard for an early dinner.

French onion soup, beef bourguignon and a bottle of Moet et Chandon white star at Bistrot du Coin.

It's tough to beat a classic and at $52 a bottle, it's the best restaurant price for a bottle of white star in town.

Hello All,

David Helms here.

I live in Clarendon and my wife and I have pretty much eaten our way through a lot of what DC has to offer and a lot of Northern Virginia as well.

The best thing about living in Clarendon is walkability to the local restaurants, but the downside is we've pretty much worn them out at this point.

Always on the lookout for something new and interesting to try and will be sharing our discoveries, but sometimes the tried and true is still the best.

Today we opted for our rainy sunday standard for an early dinner.

French onion soup, beef bourguignon and a bottle of Moet et Chandon white star at Bistrot du Coin.

It's tough to beat a classic and at $52 a bottle, it's the best restaurant price for a bottle of white star in town.

David, David, David.

Welcome! We have much to discuss... click.

David, David, David.

Welcome! We have much to discuss... click.

LOL, Don don't get me wrong.

I love small houses and am always on the hunt.

But I also appreciate BDC not marking up their bottles of M&DWS 200% like you find it at most places.

But I'm always looking to broaden my horizons and look forward to what I will learn on this board.

Hai, sensei.

david

Hi All,

I'm new to the blog world, been spending too much time making wine in Virginia. Barrels don't have computers, yet.

I have heard some good things about this site, and looking forward to reading about your thoughts on making the Virginia wine industry better.

Alright, left myself open to enough one-liners to fill a book, but will continue to fight for this cause. 30 years ago, New Zealand and California were in the same place.

Give me your best shot.

Hi My Name is Nate and I am a cook, just a cook

well, I do get paid for it and those who work under me might call me a chef, but really I am just a cook with a huge amount of curiosity and will to figure out just how to make everything possible from scratch.

Recently I have taken the helm of a small restaurant on the pike that most people I talk to seem to have all but forgotten.

hopefully soon to be rediscovered.

more to come

Hi All,

I'm new to the blog world, been spending too much time making wine in Virginia. Barrels don't have computers, yet.

I have heard some good things about this site, and looking forward to reading about your thoughts on making the Virginia wine industry better.

Alright, left myself open to enough one-liners to fill a book, but will continue to fight for this cause. 30 years ago, New Zealand and California were in the same place.

Give me your best shot.

Welcome, Chris. If you search on vineyards, you'll see that quite a few shots (and some praise) have been directed at VA vineyards on this board.

The dining guide is here.

It's only available to people who make at least one post, and here's why:

In order to keep the membership current and vibrant, anyone who doesn't sign in for a year (and who has never posted) gets deleted. The reason for this is because I don't want to inflate our membership numbers with inactive users.

Because of this, every single month I go in and remove about 50 people - and it's a PAIN! It takes a long time to validate new members, and to have to delete them a year later (especially if they've only signed in once) is arduous. So the dining guide is the reward for being active here.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hi-I'm Mary and an ex-Washingtonian living in Philly. Read about this blog in the WP yesterday and had to sign up!

Thanks for making the first post a little easier. I am a long time Wash DC resident and have traveled around the world extensively for the last 30 + years. Always interested in finding new place to try and to reading what others think the places that they frequent. :rolleyes:

Hello Everyone

Thanks so much for making this alot easier. I am an ex 13 year restaurant manager and area director living in DC just looking for new and exciting places to go have great food, wine, cocktails and maybe a cooking class or two. I moved to Capitol Hill 3 years ago and would like to start exploring DMV more as the weather gets warmer.

Thanks to you all

Hot2manage

I am BrianV, very close to my actual name (I didn't feel much need for anonymity on a food site). I came here because of the Post article; I am always looking for new information on Washington restaurants, and food and wine in general.

I am not in the business, but like to eat. I go out a lot, although I am far less adventurous than I used to be. I'd say my favorites (and they have been for a while) are Obelisk, Black Salt, Prime Rib among the higher end places. I am very fond as well of any kind of near eastern food (Afghan, Iranian, where I think the area is fairly strong) and Turkish, where we are rather weak. I also like Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and Japanese, although again I have not been terribly happy with anything I've had around here (although I recognize that my reluctance to drive far into the suburbs is a handicap).

I also cook at home, but only as a hobby: generally favor the italian and french repertoire, but also do occasional Indian, middle eastern, mexican and chinese.

I buy too much wine.

Hi

I am a huge foodie obsessed with... um... food. I work at Black Market Bistro, and am happy to get on the site. I hope i never get kicked off :rolleyes:

ps thanks for making the whole process much easier then any other blog i have ever been to.

Thanks

GM

Hi

I am excited to find your website. My husband and I have a hard time finding consistantly good restaurants in Northern Virginia, and have resorted to doing (better) cooking at home. Usually Italian or seafood. Look forward to posting and reading on your site.

Thanks!

hello! I'm new to donrockwell.com, and heard of it from google and a foodie friend who was helping me brainstorm about ways to break into the food industry. I am currently making slow progress at starting a small baking business- specialty baking for small events. my plan is to exist on the internet and in a commercial kitchen that I haven't found yet. no actual storefront space is planned for now. I'm excited about having the opportunity to mingle with the experienced minds here at donrockwell.com!

jennifer

Hello everyone. My name is Faryan. I'm a bit of a foodie but moreso a wino. I'm always looking for an eclectic spin or cultural fusion. I've worked in restaurants in my younger years so I have an idea about how things work. It makes you look at things quite a bit differently when you're in the dining room...

My favorite restaurants are (in no discernable order):

Corduroy

Zaytinya

Palena

Tosca

I look forward to trying Central, Citronelle and Eve (my to-do list).

Corkage is a big must for me as I can't pallate wine-list markups and improper storage. DC is usually pretty good but is progressively getting more expensive. Something to keep an eye out for...

Hi, I'm Ted, and I live in Arlington, and am starting up a public-interest law firm in Washington, DC. I'm not doing a lot of eating out these days because I'm in the middle of a $60k bet to lose 60 pounds, but when I do, I'm a big fan of Hong Kong Palace, Thai Luang, Bombay Bistro, Ray's Hellburger, Zenebech Injera, and the cheese display at Arrowine.

Hey everyone! My name is Vlad. I've been in DC for about 8 years and work for the federal government. I follow a number of DC food blogs and figured it was time to join this one since it keeps getting referenced.

My main interest in this blog is finding places that offer high-quality yet reasonably priced food. Afterall, it's one thing to eat well for $100 -$150 a head but quite another thing to do it for $25 - $50 and sadly, I've found that most places in that price range suffer from either horrible service or uninspired food.

My current favorite dishes around the city:

Cheeseburger, roast chicken and gnocchi at Palena

Penang Prawn Mee Soup at Malaysia Kopititam

Chicken and Waffles at Creme

"The Smoky" pizza at Comet Ping Pong

The Pho and any of the steamed-flour cakes at Saigon Cafe by Eden Center

I'm Rex and I've really enjoyed reading these boards for a while. I've been in the DC area for a couple of years now and am always learning something new about our local food culture.

Thanks for all the great info posted here.

Hi there. I'm M, a foodie wannabe and mom to a very special little girl who keeps my husband and me from going out very much. I love the blog and live vicariously through everyone's dining experiences. We are planting a garden for the first time this season, and look forward to our own fresh veggies and herbs this summer. We live in Arlington, and especially like reviews for places that have great takeout.

Best regards,

M

hi. i'm an amateur foodie i guess and so i my beau. i've lived in dc for about 4 years now and i'm based near dupont circle. one of those sneaky types that has been scanning don rockwell without ever posting.

i think one of my favorite places on this site, besides the great DC reviews, is the blog for travelers. in fact, my favorite DR tip was the one that led me in the direction of cochon in new orleans.

if i were listing places that i enjoy in dc, around me i would say for brunch st ex or circa, lunch at the crepe place on P st, and for dinner commissary, logan tavern, or etete. downtown i would head for cocktails at poste, tapas at oyamel, and anything at rasika. if i were headed out of town just for a bite, then i would drive to st. mary's to eat fried oysters and rockfish sandwiches at courtney's.

I'm Barbara and a local Washingtonian.

Obviously I have seen many changes to my hometown, some good and some not so great. But probably one of the best things is how the local food scene has grown and matured into an international feast.

I had an Italian Mother and Grandmother so my introduction to food was Northern Italian. They taught me to use fresh foods and seasonings that are prepared with passion, and then enjoyed with loved ones and a good wine. No one ever hurried from their meals. We laughed and talked in the candlelight, comfortable with the remains of a well enjoyed meal on their tables.

I love to cook, have a garden with many Italian vegetables and herbs, totally believe in slow food and fresh ingredients, and enjoy localrestaurants.

I like to eat good food. I love to cook. I'm not a foodie by any stretch but I'm interested in finding out more.

I started cooking strictly from recipes. My husband persuaded me that its okay to go off the reservation sometimes. He has however created a monster and wonders why I don't make anything 'simple' anymore - esp. on busy days. Cooking for my family and friends is how I show them that I love them.

We don't eat out as much as we used to...and I miss it! Damn kids. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I'm a runner. I'm starting my own business. And I'm obsessed with perfecting my banana bread recipe.

I am a lurker at this site but promised Don this introduction.

For the last 68 years, I have been a dedicated eater, and frustrated cook for about 60 of them. I have learned that building a fabulous kitchen in my home doesn't help if the foods easily available are not first rate. Not that I cannot cook with what's available, but inspiration was crushed by battered produce and plastic-wrapped meats cut in undesirable ways.

My wife and I recently moved in with her mother for health care purposes and my life in the kitchen has been blessed. Suddenly I'm doing most of the cooking and look forward to shopping. Now the menu is drafted at the grocery and farmers' market, not while reading recipes. Nice neighborhood! It has every ingredient I can think of and even a real German deli. And the restaurants - what a choice.

Over the years, we have ravaged the menus at many local restaurants, sampled many, many others, and regularly try places recommended by cyber foodies.

We travel to food (most recently New Orleans) and are thinking of an Ireland tour next. (Beer is a food isn't it?) I hope you guys have some food suggestions for us. Anyway, you keep on writing and I'll be reading. - Foodie Nick

Hi All,

Longtime reader, first time poster. Used to live in San Francisco (yes, I was spoiled). I've lived in DC for about 5 years now, and enjoy searching this forum in order to find the absolute best dishes in town for the money (which is in short supply, since I'm a grad student at Georgetown!). Current favorite restaurants (in no particular order): Komi, Sushi Ko, Makoto (if you love Japanese cuisine -- run, do not walk, to this place), 2 Amy's, and Heritage India (Glover Park location).

Hello Everyone,

Greetings

My name is Nilesh. I am currently running a kitchen of an Indian restaurant in Washington dc.

A longtime reader of D R , but posting for first time.I like to eat good food, love to cook. Though 3 years in DC but still new.

I look forward to learning some new things here.

Thanks for letting me be part of this community. And also happy that I can interact with great foodies of the region.

Pie in the Sky in Cape Neddick?

Hi, I'm Mary Pat. I work at The Swiss Bakery in Springfield. I've joined partly fro work ( Iwant to see hwta people think of us) and partly for pleasure. I do love food, but am...let's call it frugal. I'll spend the big bucks but want to be sre it's worth it. So, I read reviews before I go. I hope to find some good advise here.

Thanks

Greetings,

I'm somewhat new to the blog experience, but I read the recent food blogging article in the Washington Post magazine and thought I'd give it a try. Besides, this should get me out of the house more often so I can try the fab restaurants DC has to offer.

Now as you can imagine, I'm more into wines than particular dishes. But I've never really considered how chefs and sommeliers pair food and wines (aside from some outdated rules like white meat and white wine)...so I guess that'll be my focus for now. Plus, wine bars seem to be sprouting up all over DC so that's probably where you'll find me.

DCWineChick