Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hello, My name is Douglas. Native Washingtonian and Aussie dog lover hence the Blue (merle) and Luce aussie dogs of past. Just a food lover in dc...trying to stretch that dollar. Thanks
My family had two Aussie Shepherds once upon a time. Best. Dogs. Ever.

Welcome!

Hi,

My name is actually John (google Rikki Nadir, and you'll get the user reference) and I've lived in the DC Metro area for over 20 years. I'm a musician, among other things...

My tastes in food range from finicky to funky, with a special love for Italian and Indian cuisine.

I don't mind paying for a great meal but also am always on the lookout for good cheap eats as well.

Thanks.

Hi...

My name is Laurie. I live in Rockville and work in Bethesda.

I'm a native NYer (go Yankees) who is a baking fanatic and loves country music. Though, I've been in the DC area just over 3 years, I still feel like I'm a newcomer and still enjoy exploring all that the area has to office (museums, parks, restaurants). I also lived in LA for 7 years and am thilled to be back on the east coast.

I look forward to being part of this forum!

Laurie

Hello all,

I am new to the group and did not want to be a lurker. Mostly I love to eat. Because of my interest in eating good food, I had to learn to cook it. A friend told me to check out this group and I am excited to see what good info is out there.

I have two small kids and a fab husband who also likes to cook. My kids are a little different from the sterotype. Their favorite foods are Indian, and Italian. My oldest is a bread snob and will refuse to eat an inferior baugette. While this makes them interesting it also makes it hard to feed them.

I am interested in learning about new places to try in the area and also snooping out info for a future trip to Italy. My husband is taking me to Italy at the end of May. We are starting in Rome, going to Venice, then on to a cottage in Cortona and finally to Florence. If anyone has any suggestions about good eats...let me know!

Hi.

My name is Ryan Jensen and my wife and I own Peregrine Espresso on Capitol Hill. I have been a long-time reader here and am glad to join the community in a more active fashion.

Thanks.

Ryan

You have the best Lattes ever! Thank you for your public service.

Happy 2009!

I'm Jocelyn.

I just moved to Alexandria in October 2008 (although I lived here briefly before in 1996-97). My husband's career has allowed us to live in Naples (Italy, not Florida), London, and Yokosuka (Japan), as well as San Diego and Montgomery, Alabama. I've sampled the markets/cuisines of many countries including, but not limited to Vietnam, Malaysia, and Bolivia. Due to family connections and/or intensive "study" (eating) in situ, I would say I'm fairly well versed in Bolivian, Neapolitan, and Japanese food (particularly sake). I attended John Gauntner's Professional Sake Course in Tokyo and Kyoto, which means I know enough to get me in trouble. Despite my food/drink experience, I remain a dilettante. But like all dilettantes I, too, have a blog: youmadam.com

I cook at home a lot, so I will be looking for the best markets. Somewhat disappointed with the Japanese scene here, but I'm just starting out searching the grocery stores and checking out the restaurants.

Currently a fan of Restaurant Eve in Alexandria: on my birthday I ate some sweetbreads there that made me get a bit weepy with happiness.

Looking forward to discussing the good stuff in the D.C. area.

Itadakimasu!

Happy 2009!

I'm Jocelyn.

I just moved to Alexandria in October 2008 (although I lived here briefly before in 1996-97). My husband's career has allowed us to live in Naples (Italy, not Florida), London, and Yokosuka (Japan), as well as San Diego and Montgomery, Alabama. I've sampled the markets/cuisines of many countries including, but not limited to Vietnam, Malaysia, and Bolivia. Due to family connections and/or intensive "study" (eating) in situ, I would say I'm fairly well versed in Bolivian, Neapolitan, and Japanese food (particularly sake). I attended John Gauntner's Professional Sake Course in Tokyo and Kyoto, which means I know enough to get me in trouble. Despite my food/drink experience, I remain a dilettante. But like all dilettantes I, too, have a blog: youmadam.com

Itadakimasu!

Irasshaimase! Welcome to DR.com!

Hi, I'm Tiffany and I'm always on the lookout for that restaurant that is a "hidden gem". It can be fancy, casual, or a hole-in-the-wall, as long as the food is awesome, I'm there. I've lived in various areas of the country over the past few years - Kalamazoo, Cleveland, Kansas City, to name a few. If I had to name my favorite type of food, it would be barbecue (so you can imagine my anguish, when my family moved here :P ).

Anyway, cheers to everyone and hopefully, I'll be posting soon.

Hello, all! My name is Tipp (yes, real name) and I have lived in the Greater Washington area since 1977. We moved to Bethesda from Munich, Germany and I attended Jr. High and HS there. Went to UMD in College Park, then moved to DE, followed by Vail, CO. Finally landed back in the District itself back in '94 and now live in a great neighborhood for young children (mine are 8 & 5) - Chevy Chase, DC - right near the Avalon Theater.

I've loved eating good food and drinking well (wine, beer, and cocktails) for as long as I can remember, and since we finally got a good stove (Thermador Dual Fuel - YAY) in August I've been honing my chef's skills, not merely relying on others to scratch my itch.

Foodwise I'm a huge fan of Ray's the Steaks, Komi, Zaytinya, and Ceiba. I also love exploring new (to us) restaurants either established or just started. The only cuisine I shy away from is Vegan - I just don't get it. Neighborhood faves are Little Viet Garden in Clarendon, New Big Wong in Chinatown, Sushi Ko in Glover Park - although at those prices it doesn't really qualify, Haad Thai in Penn Quarter, and Vace for Pizza in Cleveland Park. My heart will always have a soft spot for Las Placitas on 8th St., SE - we've been going there regularly (once a month or more) for 15 years.

I look forward to discussing my taste bud problem with the rest of you addicts!

I'm a former restaurant & hospitality pr person with a lifelong passion for food & wine. I've never actually posted to the site but was always checking out the site to see what others were saying about the DC restaurant scene, especially my clients. I'm not as involved with the restaurant community as I was but am still trying to stay connected in as many ways as I can.

Hi! Thank you for providing a space to introduce oneself.

My name is Robin, and I live in Highland Park. I just recently started a blog where I review various restaurants in my town, and I am just getting into the swing of things.

I joined this site just to branch out into the rest of the food-related world to learn new things and to see what other people are writing about. I'm not very experienced at all, I'm just doing this more as a hobby, but I'm glad to be here!

~Robin

www.highlandparkeats.blogspot.com

Hi there:

My name is Jill and I am a self proclaimed foodie and always on the look out for a new restaurant or recipe adventure. I live in Stafford, VA so needless to say I travel great distances for good food. I was recently diagnosed with a gluten intolerance so if anyone has any restaurant recommendations that caters to people like me please pass them my way.

Thank you!

Jill

Hi all!

I'm proud to be the publisher and editor of Edible Chesapeake magazine. We celebrate the local farms, artisan foods and producers in the greater Chesapeake Bay region, including south central Pennsylvania, Maryland, DC and a large part of Virginia. I hope many of you have come across it at your local farmers market or farmstand, through your CSA, at a Whole Foods store or My Organic Market, or your favorite restaurants that support local farms and producers. We publish the print magazine quarterly, we also have a web site with some additional features and information (www.ediblechesapeake.com), we do a monthly email newsletter called Local Mix (you can sign up at the web site), post a lot of photos and quick bits on our Facebook page and do a little tweeting (@edches). Connect with us in any way that works for you!

Renee Brooks Catacalos

Edible Chesapeake

Hi everyone,

I actually started out by posting in a new thread in the help section (the one about Discovering Gems in Crystal City), but I thought I'd say hello here too.

Pleasure and business travel brings me to the DC area from time to time, and I prefer to eat at neighborhood joints rather than the standard tourist or chain faire. I hail from the Chicago area, where my favorite place for information like you get here is the LTH Forum (which stands for Little Three Happiness, an authentic and reasonably priced Chinese restaurant, the appreciation for which kicked off the discussion forum). If you ever plan to come to Chicago, I suggest checking out this valuable resource.

LTH Forum (Chicago)

Anyway, I've used information gleaned from this board in the past, and it really helped my last trip become a culinary success. Thanks to all of you for your informative posts. Unfortunately, any itches I develop as a result of reading your comments cannot be scratched immediately! I suppose that will just heighten my anticipation for my next trip (April).

Thanks to Don for making this resource available, and thanks to the entire community here for making it so valuable for out of towners!

i'm jennifer - a new poster but not a new member. i'm a cook. i was raised at citronelle, taught at l'academie de cuisine for two years and then worked at central for a year. now i'm the chef/owner of a little "boutique" catering company. mostly i do cocktails and hors d'oeuvres parties but i love to create intimate tasting dinners for people who appreciate good food cooked properly.

i love to eat and finally have the time to get out to the restaurants and enjoy them now that i'm not cooking in a restaurant. it's just hard to find others who will drop the cash to indulge with me. and who will put up with my annoying analysis of the composition of the meal. i'm an all or nothing kind of girl. mostly enjoying the appetizer options from restaurants all over the area OR the tasting menus. i'm a commitment-phobe who finds it difficult to choose an entree for fear of it not living up.

along with the rest of the world i have a food blog but it's not just about the food and the dining experience. it includes a lot of nonsense about the good or bad date i'm on that night. usually bad.

thanks to don and all posters for all the great info. xo

Hi. I'm mostly a lurker but hope to contribute as well. I'm a DC area native who recently returned to the area after over a decade away.

I love trying out all sorts of food, but I some of my every day favorites are Mandalay, Thanh Son Tofu, Pizzeria Paradiso, Schwarma from Max's, Nava Thai, Ray's Hells Burgers, Pollo Rico (Wheaton location), Queen Makeda, Georgetown Cupcake, and Baked and Wired.

I'm especially interested in finding good BBQ in the area (Urban is currently my favorite).

I'm also looking for a local source for Kushari.

Thanks!

JumpingJack, Welcome, I'm new too and just saw your intro above me. I like many of the same places you've listed, and others like Max's, I need to try. FYI, one of the former pizza makers at Pizza Paradiso started his own pizzeria, Moroni & Brothers, in Petworth. I have only been once; it is awesome. -M

Hi. I'm mostly a lurker but hope to contribute as well. I'm a DC area native who recently returned to the area after over a decade away.

I love trying out all sorts of food, but I some of my every day favorites are Mandalay, Thanh Son Tofu, Pizzeria Paradiso, Schwarma from Max's, Nava Thai, Ray's Hells Burgers, Pollo Rico (Wheaton location), Queen Makeda, Georgetown Cupcake, and Baked and Wired.

I'm especially interested in finding good BBQ in the area (Urban is currently my favorite).

Thanks!

Welcome everyone! :P

Pasha Cafe & Pizzeria on Lee Highway (near Portobello's Restaurant, not too far down Lee Highway from the Italian Store) in Arlington has it. See Dinner menu under Pizzas & Vegetarian Pastas

Koshari 12.95

Green Lentils with Spices, Rice, Pasta Garnish, Fried Onions & Garlicky Tomato Sauce

I liked it, but I've only had it here so don't have a basis for comparison on how authentic/good it is.

New voice on the web -- "Joe's Gourmet Getaways." I will be working with the members of the wine-dinner book events committee at the National Press Club where I have been a long-time member to announce and just add comments about our wine dinners there in the Fourth Estate.

I have several interesting people lined up in the next months -- "Queen of Chili" Jane Butel (February 24th at 6: 30 p.m.); "National tresures of Italian cookery" (a chef Mario Batali quote) Anna Teresa Callen (March 5th); and myself with five leading U.S. chefs from my latest book Gourmet Getaways (April 7th).

You will be hearing more soon -- so if you want to tune in and check me out -- just look for me on the site.

Hope you like what I can offer.

Best,

Joe David

Washington, DC area

I am a newbie here but am a total foodie and have heard great feedback from this site........so once I figure out how to navigate this site I will be able to contribute a bit more productively! I did experience Komi for the first time and had a fun gathering for about 25 at Founding Farmers, where Adam Gertler (FoodTV) was sipping absinthe with some cronies at the next table......seemed like a fun fellow!

Hi everyone:

I am Ramon, Wine Director at Adour Restaurant. This is my first blog ever. For real! I look forward to sharing with you

i know that we all think of ourselves as an affable and approachable lot, however, i have heard from more than a few people that one’s first post can be a little intimidating to write. i think that it would come easier after an introduction.

since i have a few friends who have recently joined the board, i have been thinking about this a bit recently. therefore, i am nominating this thread as the place to say hello. all of you lurkers, members without a post, etc, feel free to drop a line or two here. say hello. i swear it gets easier after your first one.

still not sure? ok, i'll start...

good day to everyone. i am new to the board. i am danny, i manage a little italian restaurant in foggy bottom. i found this board after a friend mentioned it to me, and am very happy to be here. i hope to be an active part of this community.

thanks, don and everyone else for letting me play in your sandbox.

Hi everyone:

I am Ramon, Wine Director at Adour Restaurant. This is my first blog ever. For real! I look forward to sharing with you

Hey Ramon! I've been meaning to get in touch with you - I'm starting a football team, and want you to be my halfback (#71), in the backfield with fullback Brendan Cox (#94) and quarterback Mark Kuller (#59).

Any thoughts?

Hello Everyone--

I've now joined this wonderful site and hope to learn many new things. I have viewed some informative blogs and news postings on this site in the past; hopefully now, I will create some of my own.

Terrant

Inkeeper-

The Willard Intercontinental Hotel

(Willard Room Retaurant)

Hello! I've been in the DC area for 6 years now. Originally from Florida (where great restaurants could be a rare occurrence) I'm loving the variety of food options available to me in this area and in NYC. I enjoy great food where the chef uses textures and tastes to a perfection. I try to stay away from the everyday eateries which usually means I don't eat out much :P All in all, I love food that is well thought out beforehand.

I'm always looking for new places to try so please forward the good ones my way.

Thanks!

Hello, Fellow Foodies. My name is Mickey. I'm so excited to finally join a forum of fellow food-lovers! :P

I was born and raised almost entirely on the East Coast--DC-area and Manhattan. As a senior in high school, I had seriously considered applying to the Culinary Institute of America. Fate took me in a different direction when I got accepted to Georgetown University. Though I have not worked in the restaurant industry, I have continued to develop my passion for the culinary arts at home through my fellow foodie mother, watching Food Network, and taking a class at L'Academie de Cuisine.

Another great way of learning--deliciously, of course--has been through tasting and experiencing the pinnacle creations from culinary masters. While some enjoy a night out at the theater or at a concert, I prefer dining out not only be entertained and pleased in the senses/appetite but also to learn something new about the art. Whenever I have a chance to visit new places, I try to frame my free-time during that trip around dining out. I have enjoyed doing this in London, NYC, and San Diego (did not have much luck in L.A... or is it lack of places period) as well as around the DC-area I had not previously visited.

In "Forget Paris," the waiter (played by Robert Costanza) uses adjectives to liken a characteristic about wine to an aspect about his personality. Though I am not (yet), a wine connoisseur (perfectly content with food, not yet interested in the finer points of booze), I would say that my taste preferences reflect who I am: pure, unpretentious, flexible, well-rounded, socially-conscious, and spicy :D

I would say that I am adventurous in eating--though not to the extreme of Anthony Bourdain. I am open to new experiences, but the following are cuisines/specialty items that I currently enjoy: Corean, Italian, Modern American/French/European/British, Indian/Pakistani, Persian, Vietnamese, Sushi/Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Pizza, Seafood, Steaks, Chocolates, and Coffee. I would describe style of cooking as Neo-Corean-Italian with sprinklings of influence from the world's major cuisines. The food I enjoy eating and preparing reflect my cultural influences--heavily East and South Asian, as well as the great salad bowl that is the U.S./Western Europe.

I try to eat as quality over quantity whenever possible--this is more so the more I read about the atrocities committed against our food supply. While I really like fine food, I truly enjoy well-defined and distinctive food, which becomes more important as I grow in my cooking abilities. Though I would not say I am a master in the kitchen, I feel that my only main constraints in the kitchen are a lack of supply of specialty ingredients, cooking equipments, and experience in making certain items.

Also important to me is value--a bit subjective on face-value but is pretty immediate once you weigh (pun, intended) how satisfied you feel against the bottom line on the receipt. For instance, a life-changing experience at The Inn at Little Washington felt totally worth it, while a similarly priced meal at the former Maestro felt totally guilty (and gut-bursting); a decent meal at Panera or Chipotle (naturally-raised/free-range meats!) makes me feel virtuous in health and budget, while a recent experience at Cosi felt like a total waste of money.

I look forward to reading your postings and learning from your experiences as well as sharing what I know :o

As my Tae Kwon Do Great Grandmaster Jhoon Rhee says:

In TBL (Truth, Beauty, and Love),

Mickey

Hi All: I work in DC, live in arlington, love to cook and eat, I was introduced to this board by a professional associate and at at Mark's duck house on his advice. Very GOod Dim Sum. Want to try the duck next. Ate at Cafe Milano yesterday. Very good, very loud, waiter got my order wrong but I loved the Sea Bass so no harm or foul...Thanks for adding content. --A.