New Orleans, LA

FunnyJohn

Have not loaded up my photos from that trip yet, but will do so in the next week or so.

Cochon was very, very good. I felt a smidge rushed to get out the door, by the staff, though - which I did not appreciate. The food is wonderful. And, it gets loud in there. But the food was great. It just feels really trendy and of the moment, even if it is backed up by great food. It is as if everyone wants to be there....NOW. If you like food with a super energetic room, this is your place. If you want to linger and relax, move along.

Herbsaint was much better than Cochon from my perspective. Not as noisy, never felt rushed (quite the opposite) and even better food. really excellent - better service in general as well. I was here back in 2004 I think, and it was just as good as I remembered it. Better actually. It's a warm, inviting room with great food. Nice little bar, too.

Coquette. Ahhhhh. More laid back and casual and wonderful service. Really excellent food and elevated without being fussy. Nice clean flavors. Nice bar, too. Feels like a neighborhood joint, but it is so much more. The room is less 'warm' but neighborhood joint inviting.

Honestly it is splitting hairs between Coquette and Herbsaint - both are excellent. I'd hit up Cochon in the future at a less busy time.

Thanks! I think the menu at Coquette appeals to me just slightly more than Herbaint, but both look excellent.

I should add one other question. Suggestions for the best places to get a pre-dinner cocktail (with the caveat that I don't like Sazeracs since I saw some comments about those above ;) )?

I had also forgotten that Bacchanal was on my list. I wonder if I can convince my friend to stay out late Saturday night?

Next question, how hot was it down there? (Since today was a little warm up here)...Cochon Butcher was the best food I ate in NO, but we were only there for a short time...my daughter keeps saying we need to go back for a girls' weekend, it's a ways to go....

Save the nouveau restaurants for dinner, for lunch get some classic New Orleans flavors packed into a loaf of Leidenheimer bread at either Parkway or Domilise. If you want something a bit more fancy hit Galatoire's for some old school Creole.

• Like 1

Finalizing plans and just want to check one more time whether anyone has been to Root? My friends preferred their meal there to the one at Cochon just slightly so at this point, I am deciding between Root and Coquette for dinner Saturday night. Would be a no brainer if Coquette were open for lunch on Monday like I thought, but I looked at the site again and apparently was mistaken.

Finalizing plans and just want to check one more time whether anyone has been to Root? My friends preferred their meal there to the one at Cochon just slightly so at this point, I am deciding between Root and Coquette for dinner Saturday night. Would be a no brainer if Coquette were open for lunch on Monday like I thought, but I looked at the site again and apparently was mistaken.

You may want to try La Petite Grocery instead of Coquette. I did not get a chance to try it when I was there, but the chef has been nominated for a Beard award for Best Chef South.

• Like 1

La Petite Grocery is very very good. Root is also very very good. Look at the La Petite menu though - if you're out a lot in DC, you'll find much of the LPG experience to be a little... familiar (although still great). LPG is the kind of place you'll walk out of wishing it was your neighborhood restaurant. Root is more risk/reward. I liked it but went early in their existence - the momentum of buzz/hype only seems to be growing.

La Petite Grocery is very very good. Root is also very very good. Look at the La Petite menu though - if you're out a lot in DC, you'll find much of the LPG experience to be a little... familiar (although still great). LPG is the kind of place you'll walk out of wishing it was your neighborhood restaurant. Root is more risk/reward. I liked it but went early in their existence - the momentum of buzz/hype only seems to be growing.

Thanks for the feedback. That was my feeling about Root as well (risk vs. reward) so I went for what I felt was a safer bet and settled on Coquette. I can always still hit Root for lunch on Monday although as far as I can tell they don't offer a prix fixe so it's by far the least cost effective option. I'll probably end up doing the prix fixe at August or Butcher or Peche for lunch Monday.

Hmmm, or I may do Commander's Palace for lunch on Monday. 25c martinis before boarding a plane are always a good idea, no?

Talking to myself in here I know. Can't help it, excited for my trip!

Anyone want to recommend activities? Sunday we are finally making the trip to the zoo, but I should have a couple of hours free on Monday and we have all day Saturday to do what we want. I've walked the Garden District, Magazine St, French Quarter, etc. on previous visits. Have enjoyed strolling down a few streets venturing in and out of art galleries, taken the street car everywhere, have done the requisite cemetery visit, and cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde. Was thinking maybe the WWII museum for a bit on Monday would be nice. Not sure about Saturday. We could just play it by ear, or I was looking at some guided tours like this music one: http://neworleansmusictours.com/.

I wanted to do this tour but didn't get a chance to last go around: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60864-d1887190-Reviews-Tour_Treme-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html

WWII Museum was definitely worth the money. I'm not much of a historian but I found the exhibits and films very interesting.

Last thing I would say is to go to one or more of the clubs on that street and hear some jazz. dba, spotted cat, blue nile were some of the places I hit up when I was there.

A lazy afternoon at City Park (snacks from Cochon Butcher encouraged) remains one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon. The art museum and botanical gardens are nice versions and, my personal favorite, the historic train garden must be seen to be believed .

Well, I have a different idea: over the last twenty five years we've rented a car and explored Cajun country a half dozen times and felt every one was a memory.

There is a Hertz across the street from the convention center. You can rent the car there AND TURN IT IN AT THE AIRPORT.

Start with a trip to Des Allemands and the best fried seafood and tartar sauce in America at Spahr's Seafood: http://www.spahrsseafood.com/about.html This is a Louisiana tradition that is on the side of a four lane highway with nothing else in sight for miles. At lunctime there will be 75 or more cars in the parking lot and 20-30 cars parked on the shoulder of the highway, all fighting for a table inside. From fried catfish to fried shrimp with mayonnaisey cole slaw and world class, house made thick onion rings this rivals Restaurant August and anywhere in NOLA in its own way.

From there a visit to the Tabasco plantation would be worthwhile; then just getting lost. Anywhere in Cajun country. Really, one of the most interesting places in America to explore-there is character, personality everywhere. Opelousas (Palace Cafe where Paul Prudhomme's family would go when they went out to dinner; now, the third generation), Lafayette....

For dinner a stop in Breaux Bridge at Cafe Des Amis: http://www.cafedesamis.com/our-menu/8-menu-item/13-entrees.html This is a great read and ends with a passionate experience at Cafe Des Amis: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/cajun-country-by-car There are also butcher shops, joints and gas stations worth a stop. Small town grocery stores with green hot sauce that is 89 cents a bottle (I brought home a case a year ago) and the most incredible shelves of hot sauce and peppers you've seen. (I am making the argument that spending time wandering through a grocery store in Cajun Country is one of the most interesting experiences anyone reading this can have.) You won't believe what you'll find on the shelves.

Baton Rouge is worth a stop, too. For dinner and/or for exploring.

Don't be afraid to leave NOLA: there's an awful lot west of it to explore that will be a memory. And, with your having Saturday free don't discount my idea of spending the evening at Cafe Des Amis in Breaux Bridge with a Zydeco band and some seriously good food that will taste even better at the source.

From the Food and Wine article linked above:

"The best is saved for last. those who think Disneyland is the happiest place
on earth have never been to Café Des Amis in Breaux Bridge. At 7:30 on a
Saturday morning. We arrive at 6:50 for a table at the zydeco breakfast. By
7:30, when the door opens, people fill most of the block. The room is soon
buzzing. We meet travelers from Rhode Island and France and Australia, but most
of the customers have Cajun accents that indicate they are locals. We order
great beignets and a huge bowl of couche-couche and omelets with tasso
(a Cajun ham), plus grits and pork sausage, and, of course, Francie and I get
eggs and boudin. We wash it down with rich café au lait and serious Bloody Marys
and mimosas and wonder how we got so lucky.

While we are waiting for the music to start, we talk about Link and the
amazing job he has done taking lessons from his family and neighbors in Cajun
country and reinventing some of the best for use in his New Orleans restaurants.
And we know that he has sent us here to emphasize the connection between food
and fun and music and life that is a hallmark of the Cajun spirit.

At 8:30 sharp the music starts. People start dancing with "those who brung
’em," but soon, a natural selection takes place. The best dancers find the best
dancers, and they fill up the floor, plus the spaces between the tables, and
then the dancing extends out into the street. They dance—men and women, adults
and children, women and women, men and men, black and white—and it is a rare
moment of absolutely perfect joy."

Cafe Des Amis has sofas in the picture window in front of the restaurant. A taste and a memory for a lifetime.

• Like 1

I'm back and still catching up on lost sleep. I'll write a more detailed post when I am more rested, but I will say for now that I had excellent food at Coquette, Cochon, and Peche. Our meal at Coquette was outstanding but the little lunch "tasting menu" I put together for myself between Peche and Cochon means I am as huge a Donald Link fan as I ever was.

• Like 1

Just spent the week in New Orleans, staying the quarter (Monteleone: still awesome) for the first time in years. That got me to a few places I haven't been to in a long time.

Sylvain has really settled into its role as a fantastic little local bar/bistro that just happens to be in the middle of the biggest tourist shitshow this side of the Las Vegas strip. The Crystal Ammunition cocktail - a new drink on the menu that week with white whiskey, port, and a few supporting players, was the best cocktail I had all week. A plate of perfectly cooked gulf fish in red eye gravy and homemade sausage was fantastic. Good pickles. Reminds me how bereft of neighborhood joints DC really is. Even the french quarter beats us there.

Killer Poboys is a couple of kids in the back of Erin Rose bar that has taken over their kitchen. The dive bar in front does their thing, and you walk past a video poker room into the back where you can order separately from their kitchen. The coriander lime shrimp po boy had a ton of grilled gulf shrimp on a banh mi-ish pile of marinated radish/carrot/onion. A special of homemade hot sausage was on a horseradish kicked purple cabbage slaw and secret sauce. Both were very very good sandwiches. This spot is to po boys what a korean taco is to a taco traditionalist. Everything on the menu has just enough cheffy twists to them (for better or worse - looking at you, black bean salad) to make it hard to consider it a real po boy shop, but I'll be damned if it isn't the best sandwich in the quarter proper.

On the flip side, Mahoney's on Magazine remains a strong contender for the best traditional overstuffed seafood poboy in the city. Just be ready to pay up for it. You'll get a couple dozen gulf shrimp in your sandwich but at around $30 for the large (God only knows what they wanted for the soft shell). I think my new go-to sandwich there is the root beer glazed ham and cheese. It's a Stachowski sized pile of glazed ham with more root beer glaze on it.

We nibbled at Bacchanal on a slow Thursday night. I hadn't been since they put in a legit licensed kitchen in the place. The shaved sprout salad on top of smoked potato, feta, and ciabatta with pickled onion on top backed up all the hype. Unfortunately the meaty small plates we had did not. We saw other tables sticking to the cheese plates (you can pick wedges from the cooler inside and for $5 extra they toss em on a plate with grilled bread and accoutrements. I think that's probably the way to go here - and on a nice night it is still a great way to relax outdoors.

Dinner one night at La Boca with friends and it randomly happened to be service industry night (Thursday). That meant it was $17 for a 10 oz hanger steak (or a 12 oz outside skirt or flank) and cheap wine too. Really good steaks. Really good blood sausage. Mediocre chorizo and sides. They had deep fried brussel sprouts that were actually quartered, battered, and fried. Please don't let this become a thing. Band together, America.

Still managed to get over to Cochon (and Butcher afterwards). Butcher still has the best muffaletta in the city and I will fight you if you disagree. Not really sure what to say about Cochon because we were having a tasting there for our wedding so we were hovered over and had many things not on the normal menu. That shrimp and eggplant dressing though. I'm always tempted to just order 2 sides of it, a couple beers, and call it a day.

The beer. Bayou Teche Boucanee. It's a cherry wood smoked wheat ale. It won't be for everyone, but if you like saisons and you like smoked ales (and I do) this will freak you out a little bit. I'd imagine some people would take a sip and feel no need to go back for more. I smuggled a six pack home in my luggage. Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt remains essential, as does the Swizzle Stick, but I'm not sure that's breaking news.

I'm eating salads for a week.

• Like 3

Pèche. By Donald Link. Go. Get the smoked tuna dip, the whole fish, anything's collar, the Royal Red shrimp (bring a crew). Drink the Croatian PoÅ¡ip white wine. Then go the next day.

Anything else new I need to get to? Aint been back in almost 2 years, WAY too long

Going to be down for almost half the month for my wedding and honeymoon.  So many places to eat and actually time to do it for once!  We are considering doing one blowout tasting menu though (we'll have the formal clothes and the time), although I'm not even sure it's necessary.  Anyone have any good recent experiences doing tastings down there?  

August and Herbsaint though the latter doesn't have a formal tasting menu; they were more than happy to help us out crafting one [reckon I should add that we are known there].

Can't go wrong at either but I would recommend hitting all spectrums ranges and price points that y'all can; it's a pretty special place

Doesn't commander's palace have a tasting menu?

ok I am short on time and would love some suggestions.  I will be in New Orleans for a conference Wed-Fri.  I'm getting in early for a workshop on Wed but my boss is getting in around 7pm on Wed.  Where is s good place to grab a late dinner?  Next, where should we go on Thurs for dinner?  We are looking for local flavor but also enjoy a nice meal. I just don't have time to read all the wonderful posts here so I would love to know the "not to miss" spots.

I should also have time to grab lunch before the workshop on Wed so feel free to suggest a place to grab a quick lunch...thinking poboys.  Staying at the Rennaissance Pere Marquette and the conference is at The Roosevelt.  Location only matters for lunch.

Thanks in advance!!!!  This is my fist time in New Orleans and I can wait!

For lunch, John Besh has one of his places, Dominica, inside The Roosevelt.  Italian.  Me, I would go across the street to MiLa, IMO one of the best places in NOLA.  Their sweetbreads with truffled grits is one of the best dishes on the planet, and there are many other great choices on the menu.

For dinner, so little time, so many possibilities.  If you want the best example of New Orleans (i.e. Creole) cuisine, then either Commander's Palace or Galatoires would be the clear choice, or possibly Brigstens.  For broader interpretations of classic and more contemporary cuisines, August, John Besh's flagship, as mentioned above, or many others (Stella, Bayona, R'evolution, or dinner at MiLa).  For cajun the choice usually mentioned would be one of Donald Link's places, Cochon for more casual or Herbsaint for more upscale.  Mr. B's Bistro has the best BBQ shrimp and is very good in general.  GW Fins is said to have great seafood.  The other great single dish (now available anywhere) would be grilled oysters, at Drago's where they were invented, either in the Hilton or out in Metarie.  These suggestions barely begin to scratch the surface.

If you want a po boy, Mother's is close but has become a tourist trap; you're much better off at Mohoney's, Parkway, or, in the FQ, Johnnie's, but none is close to the Roosevelt.  You might also try a muffaletta, preferably at Cochon Butcher just behind Cochon.

• Like 1

The muffaletta sounds like the way to go. Checked out MiLa but the sweetbreads don't appear to be on the lunch menu. I may have to ask because now I'm craving it. Trying to decide between Cochon or herbsaint for one night. Thanks for the suggestions.

What is good and affordable in New Orleans these days? (Besides Cochon Butcher!) I was surprised to see that places like Commander's Palace and August have entrees in the high 30s.

On my last visit, Cochon and Galatoire's served top-notch stuff that didn't break the bank (entrees in low- to mid-20s). Coquette and Herbsaint are a little pricier but still doable for those of us on a per diem.

I'll be headed there next week for a work conference. Has anyone had luck with walking in anywhere on weekend nights? (I was hoping to hit Sylvain, for example, but they require a CC for reservation, and our schedules are too chaotic to know when we'll be free.) We're also willing to go anywhere within a short cab ride of the French Quarter, where we'll be based.

Thanks!

If you want something slightly off the beaten track (but still walking distance (maybe 45 minutes or an hour) to the French Quarter) (or a short cab ride away) try "Elizabeth's".  It's a little funky, very mellow, very cool, very New Orleans, and the price is right.

We went there last year for Sunday brunch after my wife ran the marathon (took a cab there and walked back to the Quarter).  There was a bit of a wait so I went to the bar and got 2 mimosas at 6 bucks each. When we got a table, we did the "make your own mimosa" option which was a bottle of full champagne and a pitcher of orange juice for 21 bucks!!!  Now that's a deal!

They're famous for their praline bacon which we dutifully tried.  The kids liked it more than me, but everyone love the boudin ball appetizer.  The rest of the meal was very good.......omelets,  waffles, French toast, eggs, etc with a New Orleans bent.

http://www.elizabethsrestaurantnola.com/index.html

PS - there's also a super cool record store, Euclid Records, about a block away.  While we were waiting for our table, I walked down there and checked it out with my mimosa in hand and no one thought that this was at all unusual.  Ahhhhh, New Orleans.

• Like 2

What is good and affordable in New Orleans these days? (Besides Cochon Butcher!) I was surprised to see that places like Commander's Palace and August have entrees in the high 30s.

On my last visit, Cochon and Galatoire's served top-notch stuff that didn't break the bank (entrees in low- to mid-20s). Coquette and Herbsaint are a little pricier but still doable for those of us on a per diem.

I'll be headed there next week for a work conference. Has anyone had luck with walking in anywhere on weekend nights? (I was hoping to hit Sylvain, for example, but they require a CC for reservation, and our schedules are too chaotic to know when we'll be free.) We're also willing to go anywhere within a short cab ride of the French Quarter, where we'll be based.

Thanks!

Casamento's and Pasacal's Manale, while uptown and slightly longer than a "short" cab ride, definitely fit your bill of good and affordable, not to mention unique, not only to their respective cuisines but also to New Orleans itself. (Don't let the cab ride interfere; its akin to going from Dupont to Van Ness).

Per your weekend walk-in request, I would call some folks and explain your situation, how many in your party, give them a window of what time y'all hope to arrive and see what the options might be; politeness, honesty and transparency go a long way in this biz.

• Like 1

Adolfo's (in the Marigny, right across Esplanade from the Quarter) might also fit your bill; old-school Italian in that only-in-New Orleans-way, very reasonably priced (bring cash, no plastic though). It is quite small but this never seems to be a problem thanks to the wonderful bar below, The Apple Barrel; this does, however, present difficulties when trying to recall the nuances of the dishes the next day (or even what one ate).

Thanks!

There are still cheap eats in New Orleans.  Tons of them.  I was there 10 nights for our wedding and honeymoon/decompression period, and many of the best meals we had were on the low end.  Check out Luke's prix-fix menu, which will get you a cup of soup and entree for $23 and less at lunch.  On Friday it is a court-boullion that has a full filet of redfish, several massive oysters, big gulf prawns, and crab claws.  You'll laugh at how much seafood is in it.  Oh, and one of the soup options is matzoh ball, and it's fantastic.  50 cent oysters 4-6 for happy hour as well.

Even further past Elizabeth's is Bacchanal, which also is doing killer food at low prices.  The interior is a wine shop where you can buy beer, wine, and even liquor for consumption out back.  Out back you'll find live music and funky-yet-cheffy food served informally on patio furniture.  I had a special of whole roast redfish with salsa verde, satsumas, and grilled veg that would have fed two if I wasn't being ridiculous for $20.  A fried had a hangar steak with potatoes and veg for $15.  It's incredibly informal, weather dependent, and the menu is very hit-or-miss (last time I was there I wrote on this same board it was probably not worth eating here) - but this last time holy crap it was good.

We randomly ended up at Lucky Rooster two different nights.  It would feel right at home among the places popping up in the Shaw area right now, but for the fact it would probably be protested out of our city for a complete and total lack of authenticity.  The dumplings were overpriced and nothing special, but the noodle soups had great flavor and were comically overstuffed with veg, meat, and seafood (depending on the variety).  Cocktails were all about house sodas and syrups and generally well done.  Not sure it's worth planning for, but if you anyone ends up with a desire while down there and are curious - yup, it's pretty good.  Imagine Sticky Rice if they gave a damn about the food.

Co-sign on Adolfo's.  and while not necessarily cheap, Irene's and Eleven 79.  New Orleans is a world of hybrid Italian food all onto itself.  Dominica is a bit of an exception and plays things a little more straight.  I thoroughly enjoyed a long lunch there though.  I would go back to the bar just for a few negronis and the whole roasted cauliflower.

We did do a tasting at August and it was the best service I've had since the Tasting Room at Eve.  Just a beautiful night there.  If you have the time/means you should definitely do it.  Also dined at Cochon and Commander's but really don't have anything new to report there.  Still awesome.  Rented out Mahoney's for our rehearsal dinner, and we there last night before they closed for a spell to remodel their kitchen.  Should be up and running now with the ability to actually handle a lunch rush.  Mother's has not fallen off the side a touristy cliff like many people claim (there were lines/waits equally as long of equal types at Butcher).  Killer Po-Boys and Mahoney's were better than Mother's though.  Butcher bows to no one.

BEER: Tin Roof and Nola Brewing were two outfits that did not particularly impress me when they started up, but they have come a long way.  Nola in particular... their Hopitoulas is the kind of delicious, not too bitter, sessionable (well, only 6%) IPA that I wish one of our local spots would start churning out.  And you can do tastings at their brewery (just outside the CBD up Tchoupitoulas) if you're into that sort of thing.The Tin Roof Rougarou was a black IPA that paired great with a lot of the big flavors you run into down there.

There are now a bunch of local area breweries besides the big boys and they have their sea legs... now they are hooking up, collaborating, and experimenting with one offs like they're a bunch of college freshmen.  It's a fun time for the local beer scene down there and I look forward to DC getting to that point in the very near future.

You rented Mahoney's for your rehersal dinner...that's awesome.

btw, Bacchanal has renovated their upstairs for inclemate weather use.  It's definitely not in the tourist areas, so you will want to cab, but it is also a short cab ride back to Frenchman street, so a good option is to hit up both places in one night.

• Like 1

August was the best meal I ate last year.

Between just those two!?!

August.

Though there's a myriad of options out there if you've time for more...

Heading there for my first time in March. Stella! or August?

You rented Mahoney's for your rehersal dinner...that's awesome.

btw, Bacchanal has renovated their upstairs for inclemate weather use.  It's definitely not in the tourist areas, so you will want to cab, but it is also a short cab ride back to Frenchman street, so a good option is to hit up both places in one night.

Could you venerable posters clarify what you mean when you say "best meal of last year?"

Was it really *that* good?

August is absolutely outstanding.  One of the great restaurants on earth.  Serious.  I've eaten at enough three Michelin stars in Europe to say that August would justify the journey.  We've gone twice and will build a trip over the next several years which will include at least one more dinner there.  My comparison to a three star is unfair because it does not have Michelin correct service.  But what is placed on the plate is, in its own way, the equal of any on earth.  That wasn't just our opinion.  On our last trip we went with a couple who we've shared a half dozen three stars in Europe with over the last decade (El Raco de Can Fabes, Im Schiffschen, Schwarzwaldstube, Alain Ducasse (Paris), Le Calandre and Dal Pescatore).  They agreed it was the equal of any.

August is a Great restaurant.

Anything else new I need to get to? Aint been back in almost 2 years, WAY too long

Keife & Co (bottle shop)

Tivoli & Lee

Cane & Table

Toups' Meatery

Boucherie

Root

Lucky Rooster

Ste.-Marie

Kingfish

Bellocq (bar)

Atchafalaya

Maurepas Foods

Many of us have learned to eat and drink better through Jake Parrott's kind tutelage.

In prep for my NoLA trip, here are the links and info (from their sites) for his list:

Keife & Co (bottle shop) 801 HOWARD AVE "” NEW ORLEANS, LA 70113 

Tuesday - Saturday 10am - 8pm or by appointment - local delivery available

Tivoli & Lee at The Hotel Modern | 2 Lee Circle. New Orleans, LA 70130 

Southern Bistro. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Happy Hour seven days a week.

Cane & Table 1113 Decatur Street "” French Quarter, New Orleans

RUM "” Rustic Colonial Cuisine "” ProtoTiki Cocktails

Times Picayune Nov 2013 review

Toups' Meatery  845 N Carrollton Ave, New Orleans, LA 70119

Fine food, specialty cocktails, and a charcuterie program inspired by deep-rooted Louisiana family traditions.

Times Picayune piece NOV 2013

Boucherie  8115 Jeannette Street New Orleans, LA 70118

Contemporary Southern Cuisine

Root  200 Julia Street

Modern American Cuisine rooted in Old World flavors and technique

Lucky Rooster 515 Baronne St, New Orleans, LA 70113

The newest concept from the guys that brought you Juan's Flying Burrito and Slice Pizzeria. Pan-Asian cuisine

Ste.-Marie 930 POYDRAS STREET NEW ORLEANS, LA 70112

Times Picayune Jan 2014 review

Kingfish 337 Chartres St. (at Conti) New Orleans, LA 70125

An upscale casual restaurant and cocktail bar in the heart of the New Orleans' French Quarter that tips its hat to the Huey P. Long Era. Also has Market and Deli counter 

Bellocq (bar) at The Hotel Modern 

936 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana 70130

Atchafalaya  brunch 5 days a week

901 Louisiana Ave, New Orleans, LA 70115

Maurepas Foods 3200 Burgundy St, New Orleans, LA 70117 at Louisa in the Bywater

Opens Thursday at 1100 and closes at Midnight Tuesday (closed Wednesdays)

Purveyors of Robust Cuisine

I'm making myself hungry - thanks Jake.

Edit to add: David Byrne spent the holidays in Bywater. His journal is an interesting read in three installments (part 1, part 2, and part 3).

• Like 1

Great food, great music, and great friends"¦what a trip!

Here's a brief rundown:

Parasols "“ This place is a dive, but the sandwiches are fantastic. Really, that appears to be the overarching theme of New Orleans. We ordered a muffaletta, served hot. It was the size of a dinner plate and could have fed four people. It's basically a round Italian sub with an olive tapenade. Yum! I think, where possible, I will order future Italian subs the same way. We also split a shrimp po-boy, which came over-stuffed, and adorned with l/t/p/m. Perhaps this is obvious, but it's the bread that makes the difference.

August "“ The restaurant is beautiful. It's got that old-world Louisiana charm, with 20ft ceilings, wall-sized windows, large crystal chandeliers, columns, brick. It's a great space to enjoy a wonderful meal. It started with an amuse bouche that was a parmesan custard of some sort, served in a hollowed-out egg shell. Very light, very delicious. I had the crawfish and crisp lamb belly, and tastes of the gnocchi, which was the clear winner. Handmade and pillowy, served in a yummy cream sauce. Alas, my wife wouldn't let me taste it with the truffle, but that was understandable. For mains, I had the breaded trout, which came with this amazing aerated hollandaise sauce and was the best fish dish I've ever eaten. I tried the scallops and snapper of my dining companions, and they were also enjoyable. For dessert we had a peanut-butter and banana bread pudding that was, in a way, served deconstructed, and a delicious end. Or was it? With the bill they sent out a small plate of 4 mini desserts, including a praline and some other goodies. The food overall may have been a tad salty, but the meal was still incredible, and I'd definitely return. The service was spectacular, helpfully explaining some dishes (pig tail), and navigating choices among others (the trout).

Calcasieu "“ We had dinner for 14 in the wine room of Chef Link's private dining facility, conveniently located between Cochon and Cochon Butcher. It's a very pretty, modern space. We decided on their 5 course Cajun Tasting Menu. For me, two dishes in particular stood out. One was the Crawfish Pie and Boudin, the former which came out in empanada form, and the latter which was a fried ball of deliciousness. I could have eaten a dozen of each. The second was the Smothered Pork with Cabbage and Bacon Choucroute, a fall-apart-on-your-fork piece of meat. Overall, each portion was a good size, and by the third course I was struggling to finish them. This may have had something to do with the fact that I had been eating and drinking since 9:30 that morning. Service was attentive, if a bit rote. While they provided a menu card, it would have been nice for them to announce/describe what they were serving.

The Rum House "“ Home of the highest barstool in New Orleans! OK, I made that up, but you'll need 10 fingers from a friend to get a seat at the bar. The Rum House Punch is refreshingly fruity, but deceptively strong. You've been warned. The Damn Good Nachos should be re-named the Fucking Great Nachos, as they were the best nachos I've ever had in my life (note: I don't travel much to the American Southwest).

Warehouse Grille "“ We had a good brunch here on Sat morning, and everyone seemed to enjoy their food. I had the Filet Benedict, which was quite tasty, particularly the biscuit upon which everything rested. Oh, and the breakfast potatoes came topped with what I'm assuming is their creole sauce, which was excellent.

Joey K's "“ I rather liked our casual dinner here the last night (it was dinner #2). A solid Po-Boy and good Jambalaya. Cold beer served in huge 18oz goblets. Word to the wise"¦skip the Lasagna.

St Charles Tavern "“ This place was close to our hotel, so we stopped by for lunch one afternoon after a quick pit stop. Again, a dive but solid food. I had my first taste of boudin here, and the po-boy came with several huge fried balls that was easily sharable. Oh, and they're open 24 hours (handy to us given their location).

Café Du Monde "“ the beignets are delicious but fuck em cause the coffee sucks, comes out scalding, and can make the unsuspected burn their tongue and do a mini spit-take.

And, finally, a quick shout-out to my DC Posse peeps that may be trolling this site/post. Sign up"¦it's a great community!

• Like 1