1908 replies to this topic

#1901 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Le Sughere di Frassinello Maremma Toscana 2009.  A gift bottle that was all alone in the cellar, and the first "Super Tuscan" I've tried.  The critics are all over this one, and I understand why, although I don't think this is a wine that is particularly food-friendly, and that's where I tend to gravitate.  Naively, perhaps, but there it is.  It needed a little time in the glass to open up, after which it is just perfect for counteracting the cold, wet weather. 

#1902 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Saladini Pilastri Pecorino Affido DOCG 2012.  Nuts.

ACK!  I'm just seeing this.  Where did you get it?  Whole Foods or Total Wine?  Did it have a pig on the label?

I ask because I had a great pecorino that I loved at an out-of-town restaurant several years ago and didn't have much luck looking for something similar around here.  At Schneider's I was told pecorinos are very sweet and they don't carry them, which I thought was weird.  The one I'd had was maybe a little sweet but had a complex flavor that was not on the whole sweet.  I kind of forgot about it for a while and then found two bottles of Pecorino around here at about the same time.  I know one was at Total Wine.  The other was there or at Whole Foods.

Since I don't drink wine that often, I only recently opened the first bottle, and it was that Pilastri, but a 2010.  I loved it, loved it.  Then I opened the other, La Piuma 2011, and liked it but not like the other.  I want to find these again.  Thanks for any help (or advice on ones I might like even better).

#1903 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

ACK!  I'm just seeing this.  Where did you get it?  Whole Foods or Total Wine?  Did it have a pig on the label?

It turns out it did have a pig on the label, but I opened the bottle without my glasses on and assumed the little animal was a sheep.  Pecorino and whatnot. :unsure:  I don't remember where it came from, but I found it online just now in Total Wine's listings for the Alexandria store so you can still get it.  Other than this particular wine, I have zero experience with Pecorino.  I was just back from Italy and was on a mission to try every DOCG wine I could find, and this one was a random choice.  I do remember enjoying it.

#1904 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,694 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:59 AM

It turns out it did have a pig on the label, but I opened the bottle without my glasses on and assumed the little animal was a sheep.  Pecorino and whatnot. :unsure:  I don't remember where it came from, but I found it online just now in Total Wine's listings for the Alexandria store so you can still get it.  Other than this particular wine, I have zero experience with Pecorino.  I was just back from Italy and was on a mission to try every DOCG wine I could find, and this one was a random choice.  I do remember enjoying it.

I can lend you a Wine Atlas of Italy (too expensive for you to buy yourself) that you'll find fascinating.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1905 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Thanks!  It didn't occur to me to check the Total Wine website to see if they have an online catalogue :wacko: .   I will make a trip out and look for it there.  If they happen to have the other one too, that's a bonus, but it's the one with the pig that I want.  (No wonder wine producers put so much effort into their labels.)

#1906 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Ch√Ęteau Bizard Montagne de Raucoule 2011.  I think I bought this wine from WTSO, and I wish I had bought every bottle they had.  Lush and wonderful.

#1907 PappyVanWise

PappyVanWise

ventworm

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

Had a blind bourbon tasting tonight, in honor of my brother's 37th birthday the theme was bottles $37 and under.  All were poured with one king cube, please don't judge, but people had to drive home afterwards 

Here's what we drank in order:

Hooker's House Bourbon - first one we tasted and the winner of the night!

Elmer T Lee - We were all fans of this before tonight, but it scored the lowest.  Wouldn't stop any of us from buying it again.

Elijah Craig 12 - Everyone enjoyed this, and we weren't surprised at the unveiling.  This is a consistently good, well-priced bourbon that you won't feel wasteful mixing in a cocktail.  Not the highest rating, but a solid middle of the pack choice.  Some detected notes of rye

Very Special Old Fitzgerald - Lots of good mellow flavor, we were slowing down at this point, but was an easy sipper.

Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch - I knew this was one that I liked, even with the bottle hidden in a bag.  If been drinking a lot of the entry level Col Taylor recently, and picked this as a favorite after the first sip.  Overall I think this finished second to the Hooker's House.

Old Weller Antique - I think this was the highest proof drink of the night at 107, but it was enjoyed by all.  We all just kind of nodded in agreement after the first comment of "Hey, another good one."

One of the Jefferson Presidential's - As we drank our 7th glass of the night, we all decided we just really liked bourbon.

IMG951173.jpg

Consumer of fine wines and spirits since 2000

@PappyVanWise is where I tweet

Formerly VikingJew, still Eric

#1908 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Thanks!  It didn't occur to me to check the Total Wine website to see if they have an online catalogue :wacko: .   I will make a trip out and look for it there.  If they happen to have the other one too, that's a bonus, but it's the one with the pig that I want.  (No wonder wine producers put so much effort into their labels.)

An update for anybody who might be interested:  I was able to find the Pilastri {pig} pecorino at Alexandria Total Wine.  Found the La Piuma pecorino at Whole Foods Alexandria.  I thought I'd found the wines at both but couldn't recall what was where.

• lperry likes this

#1909 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Quo Gastiago Garnacha 2010.  A wonderful antidote to a mentally exhausting day. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users