Bobby's Crab Cakes, Bob Bloch's Wonderful Crab in Rockville Town Square - Closed

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic late dinner last night, starting with the breaded, fried Ipswich clams. The real treat was the softshell crab sandwich, lightly fried and really great. Service was good--it seems like most of the kinks have been worked out in terms of table service, and they had a pretty full house at around 9:30, which was good to see.

BOBBY'S CRABCAKES IS EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE TWO NEW ADDITIONS TO THE MENU.

CHILI DOGS – 100% KOSHER BEEF DOGS WITH BOBBY’S FAMOUS HOUSE MADE CHILI – TOP IT OFF WITH ONIONS AND CHEDDAR CHEESE. The chili dog comes with a side of french fries for $6.95.

CHEESE STEAKS – FRESH, CHOICE, THINLY SLICED RIBEYE STEAK WITH PROVOLONE CHEESE ON TOASTED SUB ROLL, GRILLED ONIONS AND PEPPERS, LETTUCE AND TOMATO. The cheesesteak comes with a side of french fries for $7.95. (Starting for lunch Saturday January 23, 2010)

Come in and try the best dog and cheese steak in town!!!

Chef/Owner Bobby Bloch

101 Gibbs Street

Rockville, MD 20850

301-217-0858

www.bobbyscrabcakes.com

Quite the contrary!! I respectfully disagree. The best things in life are the simplest done well. That is why Bobby's crabcakes are so good, he allows the delicious crabmeat to shine through and doesn't overwhelm his crabcakes with eggs and veggies, etc. Think about how hard it is to get a great burger or a great Caesar salad or a think crust pizza, all simple foods but wow what a range there is of options out there from fabulous to absolutely horrible. Try the cheesesteak and let me know what you think.

PS Sorry but yes there are beans

Sari Bloch

Bobby's Crabcakes

101 Gibbs Street

Rockville Town Square

301-217-0858

bobbyscrabcakes.com

Quite the contrary!! I respectfully disagree.

The low bar comment was a dig at being the best in the area is not hard to attain since the area generally lacks decent steak and cheese or chili dogs, not at the dishes themselves or your attempt to make praise worthy versions of them.

The low bar comment was a dig at being the best in the area is not hard to attain since the area generally lacks decent steak and cheese or chili dogs, not at the dishes themselves or your attempt to make praise worthy versions of them.

sorry I misunderstood - have a great weekend and write back after you have had a chance to try Bobby's steak and cheese and chili dog and tell me what you think.

Sari

I'll stop in and check it out for sure.

Interesting choices - the chili dog makes sense. Few places serve them outside of 7-11 and hard times cafe. Yet everybody knows them and there's a set of people that will seek them out.

Cheesesteaks have a bit more competition - maybe not as much in the DC area, but generally, I suspect people have stronger opinions of them and Bobby's will have a higher hill to climb. For me, the quality of a cheesesteak is in the bread - and I've found that Amoroso's (a philly bakery) rolls are the common demoninator of what I'd consider an excellent steak. Others will have different opinions, but like the crust on a pizza, the roll often makes or breaks the steak.

Crabcakes, chilidogs and cheesesteaks are all things people will drive a distance to get if they're good. (Think ben's chili bowl and Pat's/Geno's in Philly) I hope Bobby's does them justice and has success with the new items.

Crabcakes, A+.

Fried ipswich clams, A+++

Chowder, A+.

Burgers, A+ (don't knock it - fantastic burgers here)

Softies, Incomplete

Though the softies were advertised in email and on the window as being available starting today, the waiter confided in me that Bobby wasn't in, and he wasn't sure if the grill guy was up to the task. Happily ate crabcake instead.

P.S. Possibly the best fried ipswiches I've ever had. Barely battered, and so creamy you could nearly gum them down.

Stopped in a few weekends ago for lunch with the family.

Everything was great - crabcake for me, grilled cheese for the kids.

As we were walking from the parking lot to the restaurant I was telling my wife about the cheessteaks they were no offering. We tried to order one and the person at the register looked at us like we were crazy. What's the deal?

Fried ipswich clams, A+++

Possibly the best fried ipswiches I've ever had. Barely battered, and so creamy you could nearly gum them down.

Fried ipswiches??? And probably less costly than the wonderful ones I had at Black Salt. MUST GO SOON!!!

we should have soft shells back this thursday and have them most of the weekend...as for the cheesesteaks, did not sell too well so it's kind of a spotty thing right now...dont want to end up throwing a lot of choice ribeye away...but we do have the best prime steak in town (sorry landrum)...either ribeye or ny strip, depending on my whim...we char 'em in an 1800 degree broiler...dinner only

thanks daniel, for the clams shout...glad you enjoyed them

bobby

we do have the best prime steak in town (sorry landrum)...either ribeye or ny strip, depending on my whim...we char 'em in an 1800 degree broiler...dinner only

Maybe we can do a DR.com Food Wars. Blindfold five people and have them taste two different steaks, with each restaurant picking one of the judges. I'd be interested to see whether the superfans can tell one steak from another.

Maybe we can do a DR.com Food Wars. Blindfold five people and have them taste two different steaks, with each restaurant picking one of the judges. I'd be interested to see whether the superfans can tell one steak from another.

i'm in...and i won't pick a judge...may pick michael if i did

I went the other day for lunch and must say, the burgers here are excellent. I've tried BGR and Urban Burger based on recommendations on this board, and all were a disappointment. Bobby's was cooked perfect, juicy, and had just the right amount of seasoning and char. BGR and Urban both taste overwhelmingly of pepper. The fries are good too. And the "server" working the floor was great too.

My long-standing complaint about Bobby's is it's very expensive for counter-food/sandwiches. I understand you pay for quality, but if I'm spending $15-20+/person, I'd rather go to a "real" restaurant. This time, I was further turned off by the nasty sign posted regarding Groupon use. A simple "one coupon per table" would suffice, not a 3/4 page tirade. Don't offer coupon deals if you are going to give customers an attitute about using them. I wasn't even using a Groupon and the attitude made me not want to return.

I went the other day for lunch and must say, the burgers here are excellent. I've tried BGR and Urban Burger based on recommendations on this board, and all were a disappointment. Bobby's was cooked perfect, juicy, and had just the right amount of seasoning and char. BGR and Urban both taste overwhelmingly of pepper. The fries are good too. And the "server" working the floor was great too.

My long-standing complaint about Bobby's is it's very expensive for counter-food/sandwiches. I understand you pay for quality, but if I'm spending $15-20+/person, I'd rather go to a "real" restaurant. This time, I was further turned off by the nasty sign posted regarding Groupon use. A simple "one coupon per table" would suffice, not a 3/4 page tirade. Don't offer coupon deals if you are going to give customers an attitute about using them. I wasn't even using a Groupon and the attitude made me not want to return.

Was there more to the tirade than "one per table?" I just bought one the other day -- my very first groupon.

I was also wondering why they had that stipulation, because every time I've gone there, I just pay for my check separately at the front counter, and the people I'm with pay for theirs separately. Or has the payment situation changed?

With regard to the Groupon sign...clearly, if "one coupon per table" would suffice, I would not have found it necessary to write that note..."one coupon per table" is printed on the coupon, along with the other applicable terms...that said, some Groupon coupon users feel that the terms should not and do not apply to them...it is this "attitude" that has led to very "nasty" situations in the restaurant...far from giving customers an attitude about using their coupons, i make it a point to thank each coupon redeemer for purchasing their Groupons and thank them for coming in to eat...Do you really think I just posted that sign out of the blue??? Please...and i will add that since that sign has been up, not one problem with coupon redemptions, and no nasty confrontations ...and the people who are using coupons, and are happy to play by the terms of use, are not put off by the sign...sorry you were, wysguymd...perhaps you should place yourself in the shoes of others before making blind assumptions...

bobby

Was there more to the tirade than "one per table?" I just bought one the other day -- my very first groupon.

I was also wondering why they had that stipulation, because every time I've gone there, I just pay for my check separately at the front counter, and the people I'm with pay for theirs separately. Or has the payment situation changed?

and Doctor, thanks for purchasing your Groupon! yes, there was somewhat more to the note than just "one per table"...we had problems in the beginning with people trying to redeem multiple coupons at once and trying to play games with the terms (requesting seperate checks,..."what if we sit at two tables?", etc)...the note is putting those folks on notice that we won't budge from the terms...the spirit of the coupon offer, as you can gather from the terms printed thereon, is to give people a twenty buck coupon for ten bucks, saving them ten bucks on their meal as an incentive to come in and try us...not for people to bring in five or eight coupons and eat a big meal for half price...pretty simple...

anyway, at lunch, you still order at the counter...at dinner, we have full watier service in the dining room...has been that way for about a year now since i brought out the dinner menu...

regards

bobby

I have been thinking about your "real restaurant" comment and thought this could be a good conversation to throw out to DR members.

Bobby's Crabcakes is not fast food and is not what most people would consider fast casual, i.e. Panera, Costi, etc. It is also not fine dining , i.e. white table cloths.

For lunch customers order at the counter and food is brought to the table on real plates with real utensils. For dinner, customers are seated by a hostess, and served by waiters. The quality of our food is far superior to most restaurants in any category.

Our restaurant is about the food. Our customers come to the restaurant for a quality meal, a glass of good wine or beer and a nice enviornment. We also are all about the communitiy. A place where neighbors can meet, friends see each other and a place where you can actually get to know and speak with the chef. A chef that cares about the quality of the food he is preparing and serving his guests.

Maybe we are a new category of restaurant. Better than fast casual but less formal than fine dining. I think that when you think about it we are as real as it gets but

I am open to discussion and am interested in your thoughts.

Sari

PS We are considering removing the soda machine from the dining room - would this make a difference?.

I have been thinking about your "real restaurant" comment and thought this could be a good conversation to throw out to DR members.

I have never understood the complaint about counter service, some of the best food I have ever eaten has come over a counter or off of a cart, and I am more than happy to pay for the quality food without floating the extra money for the starch in the linens. For me, the only thing I can't fathom is the idea of beans in chili (at least for a hotdog).

I have never understood the complaint about counter service, some of the best food I have ever eaten has come over a counter or off of a cart, and I am more than happy to pay for the quality food without floating the extra money for the starch in the linens. For me, the only thing I can't fathom is the idea of beans in chili (at least for a hotdog).

thank you for your comment - I am from Chicago and a real Chicago dog does not have any chili on it anyways - you will have to talk to Bobby about the Chili - that is his recipie.

I get that folks want to relax and enjoy dinner and we do provide full table service in the evening

but for lunch - who has time to sit and chill - I just want to get something good to eat and go - is counter service for lunch and table service for dinner just too confusing?

Sari

I get that folks want to relax and enjoy dinner and we do provide full table service in the evening

but for lunch - who has time to sit and chill - I just want to get something good to eat and go - is counter service for lunch and table service for dinner just too confusing?

Sari

Unusual, maybe, but I wouldn't call it confusing. The logic behind it makes sense to me.

And count me in with the group that will not ever understand the "too expensive for counter service" argument. If it's good and the food itself is worth the price, who cares how it was served to you? I was unaware that having someone in a white shirt and dress pants bring it out made it taste better.

is counter service for lunch and table service for dinner just too confusing?

Sari

Sari, I don't think the concept is confusing, but since there's not a host when you come in, I can understand a diner being confused.

A couple of weeks ago I came in for an early dinner, and stopped at the front counter. The person at the register greeted me politely as I looked up at the menu, but only after I stepped to the front and started to place an order did they ask if I was dining in, and tell me that it was table service at the moment. If I had been greeted immediately with that question, then the awkwardness wouldn't have ensued.

P.S. Note to everyone else - the place is too small to need a host, and I am a regular and recognized here, so YMMV.

I have sat back for a little while reading some of the comments on this thread before I decided to chime in about Bobby's. I have only been to Bobby's twice, and both times was during lunch. I thought the food was solid, but the place made me uncomfortable both times I went. You go up to the counter and order and then some guy comes in and grabs the soda cup you paid for and gets your drink and refills it throughout the meal. I'd rather fill my own drink and not feel weird about whether or not I should tip the guy when I'm leaving. I also don't want somebody coming up to me while I'm eating my lunch and talking to me if I'm not at a restaurant that is waiter service.

To be honest, Bobby's could probably change some processes that would turn in to cost savings for customers and charge a little less for what I consider slightly overpriced items.

Bobby's has the feel of a fast casual place, not table service IMHO.

-Sklarithy

Maybe we are a new category of restaurant. Better than fast casual but less formal than fine dining. I think that when you think about it we are as real as it gets but

I am open to discussion and am interested in your thoughts.

I have been to this place numerous times around 1pm on a weekday and this place has been quiet. When I go there, I consider it an expensive lunch out as compared to the typical lunch-type spots. But, I have enjoyed the food very much, and I will continue to go there.

In terms of the counter/table service issue, I think this system is more of a result of the restaurant space, more than anything else. I am not in the food business, but I do not think there is enough physical space or enough lunch traffic for total full service. The room would be cluttered, hectic and noisy. I have not been to dinner, but having a host seat and possibly take orders, makes sense as it becomes a higher price dinner spot to compete with the other places in Rockville Town Center.

BTW, I do usually tip the waiter during lunch because he does provide refills and such. I do not think I tip 15-20%, but I may leave a $1 to thank for the service.

My wife and I went there yesterday (Sunday) around 1:00 PM and we were almost the only ones there. We both ordered the crabcakes, which were excellent. We also enjoyed the accompanying French fries and coleslaw, although the cabbage was cut in larger chunks than we're accustomed to. The friendly dining room attendant came to our table several times to refill the ice tea, bring more tartar sauce (delicious!) and napkins, etc. We found the rest rooms to be clean and well-stocked.

In all, we had an excellent dining experience at Bobby's and we plan to return soon.

BTW, I love lobster rolls and plan to order that on our next trip. Comments about Bobby's lobster roll, anyone?

Leo

Bobby's has the feel of a fast casual place, not table service IMHO.

I agree. When I go here, my other dining options are usually Chicken Out, Five Guys, Corner Bakery, etc. The place has that look and atmosphere. But the prices are comparable to nice places in Bethesda, yet I don't consider Bobby's when I want to have a nice dinner. It's about the atmosphere and service and Bobby's has more of the "let's just get something to eat quick" feel to it. The menu, food and prices don't match with the physical restaurant.

Semi-off-topic - I was in Ocean CIty this past weekend and went to Micky Fins. The place was taken over by the guy that ran Marlin Moon Grille - often recommended on foodie boards as the best crab cake in OC. The two crabcake dinner (huge - 5 or 6oz) was market priced at $24. Bobby's charges $32 for similar.

I agree. When I go here, my other dining options are usually Chicken Out, Five Guys, Corner Bakery, etc. The place has that look and atmosphere. But the prices are comparable to nice places in Bethesda, yet I don't consider Bobby's when I want to have a nice dinner. It's about the atmosphere and service and Bobby's has more of the "let's just get something to eat quick" feel to it. The menu, food and prices don't match with the physical restaurant.

Semi-off-topic - I was in Ocean CIty this past weekend and went to Micky Fins. The place was taken over by the guy that ran Marlin Moon Grille - often recommended on foodie boards as the best crab cake in OC. The two crabcake dinner (huge - 5 or 6oz) was market priced at $24. Bobby's charges $32 for similar.

Interesting--when we go to Bobby's (as we did this weekend--the soft shells were fantastic), our other options are places in the Rockville Town Center that are generally comparably priced--Spice X-ing, Oro, La Canela. For us, the quality at all these places has continued to be very high, and we've never compared Bobby's to Five Guys or Chicken Out (which is pretty horrible, in my opinion). And I've never really thought too much about 'look' or 'atmosphere'--the food is good, and it's a comfortable little crab place.

correct...the menu and food don't match with the physical space...that's the point...maybe people just don't get it...we're about top quality food in a casual, no fuss environment with no pretense...and the prices are low considering the food on the plate...i just don't see our competition as five guys and chicken out and corner bakery...you can certainly get a cheaper burger at five guys, and if that is what you want, great...it wont be anything close to what one can get here (a hand made sirloin burger charred in an 1800 degree broilier with thin onion strings and fries that take two days to make)...and you can certainly get highly processed food at corner bakery cheaply...if that is what you want, great...but that's not what we do, and it costs a little more here...and by the way, you couldn't make crabcakes at home like ours for less money...have you checked the price of fresh jumbo lump blue crab at any local markets lately???

and having never been to mickey finns, i can not say first hand what their crabcakes are, however, i can say that there is NO WAY they are serving 5 or 6 oz 100% jumbo lump fresh blue crab crabcakes (dinner with 2 cakes) for $24.00...perhaps with a lot of filler like some other enormous cakes in the area, or with simple lump (backfin), but not comparable to what we serve...there is just no way possible given the price of jumbo lump...you can always find cheaper, for sure...

As far as the lobster rolls go, I've had a few lately and I would rate them Hank's, Tacklebox, Coastal Flats.

Coastal Flats adds a good bit of Mayo and Celery, the other two were straight up Lobster with some seasoning on a buttered roll. To each his own !

At Bobby's Crabcakes, Rockville, we have lobster rolls on the menu at all times...we steam whole, live maine lobster for our rolls, use all the good meat only (claw, knuckle, tail) and serve them on an authentic new england bun toasted with butter outside and spread with mayo on the inside...no filler and not mixed with dressing...these are not cheap, but they're the best...

bobby

This afternoon we had a sleeping baby in the car at 1pm and zero desire for fast food . . . I casually mentioned that there was a place in Rockville Town Square that did lobster rolls and crab cakes. Mr. BLB could hop out while I drove around the block. . . Not easy to eat while driving but there are a lot of red lights on 355 up there.

With conditions almost exactly mirroring bookluvingbabe's, I popped in for a to-go order on Sunday night. The lobster roll, a crabcake sandwich, and a Newcastle (while I waited) for $43. Wow, what a treat! I have never had a decent lobster roll before, and this crabcake had a nice kick to it, too. We did not get around to trying the pickle relish.

A special thanks to the Dining Guide on this one, I had never heard of it before and likely would have never thought to seek it out.

I'm bummed. It wasn't an inexpensive stop, but we could reliably count on excellent fish and chips, lobster roll, crabcakes, and arguably the best Key lime pie in the DC area. Except in the crabcake category, I'd have to leave the county to find anything similarly satisfying. And of course, Bobby and Sari were always good for a friendly chat. Good luck to them. :-(

So sorry to hear this....although we've moved far away, I've always looked forward to coming back to MoCo and eating at my favorite haunts. Bobby's had the best fries, an excellent crabcake, and as ol_ironstomach noted, maybe the best key lime pie in metro DC.

So sorry to hear this....although we've moved far away, I've always looked forward to coming back to MoCo and eating at my favorite haunts. Bobby's had the best fries, an excellent crabcake, and as ol_ironstomach noted, maybe the best key lime pie in metro DC.

We were there about two weeks ago, and they didn't have any lobster, or fish (for fish and chips). We had a burger, it was as good as always. We went there a fair amount, and are so sad to hear this, but aren't surprised. The food was great, and while everybody complained about the prices they weren't unreasonable for the quality. But they were never that busy.

In an area where Austin Grill has overflowing crowds, and Spice X-ing and La Canela don't ... well ... doesn't say much for the people who dine there, I guess.

DonRocks to the rescue! [William Tell Overture begins playing]

It's a location issue. All of the places that are bustling are on Maryland Ave or the square, and all the places on Gibbs St. are dead.

Would you believe that a FIVE GUYS location just closed on Gibbs?

It's a location issue. All of the places that are bustling are on Maryland Ave or the square, and all the places on Gibbs St. are dead.

Would you believe that a FIVE GUYS location just closed on Gibbs?

Isn't La Canela on Gibbs? Haven't been there in awhile, how are they doing?