Sign in to follow this  
Walrus

Organic Butcher - Owner Don Roden's Superb Meats, Fish, and Other Groceries in a Boutique Setting, Old Dominion Drive in Downtown McLean

I understand that the folks at the McLean Organic Butcher get all their meat from local sources...we've still not made it out there, but I've spoken with them on the phone a couple of times.

We have been shopping at My Organic Butcher for several months. It may seem like an oxymoron inasmuch as we don't eat red meat. But MOB also has very fresh fish--not as wide a vraiety as Black Salt--but very good. We have also enjoyed their crabcakes made with a hint of mustard and virtually no filler. They have recently added a line of locally produced, unadulterated soups. We have tried and enjoyed the butternut squash and mushroom/barley. Their free range chicken is also excellent.

Thank you for reviving this topic, Don. It reminds me how much I love this butcher shop. Every couple of months, I'll make the trek out to McLean on a Saturday or Sunday to pick up whatever looks good for the week. I've had fantastic hanger steaks, pork cheeks, Polyface chickens, wild salmon, crabcakes, veal bones, quail. They also usually have Polyface eggs, which, for my money, are even better than the egg man at the Dupont market.

If you haven't been to this shop, or you feel McLean is out of the way for you, give it a shot on a weekend afternoon. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

• Like 1

Thank you for reviving this topic, Don. It reminds me how much I love this butcher shop. ... They also usually have Polyface eggs, which, for my money, are even better than the egg man at the Dupont market.

If you haven't been to this shop, or you feel McLean is out of the way for you, give it a shot on a weekend afternoon. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Totally agree the McLean butcher is a great shop! I also have bought from them and really liked what I've gotten. Big Polyface fan also--Joel Salatin has done a ton to educate and drive change in many positive ways with great products.

I try to support businesses as local as I can. Like most people, I care intensely about quality, value and how and where the food is produced (as best I can learn). From that standpoint, the local farmers' markets and vendors (e.g., Stachowski) usually get prioritized highest on my list. And, of course, reconciling all those objectives (local, quality, value, transparency) is a never-ending challenge, discussed extensively here on DR.com and elsewhere with millions of words.

All said, for eggs (and I'll leave to Don whether this merits a different thread), "the egg man at the Dupont market" is also known as Tom Hubric. He's the real deal in many senses of the word. And, imho, he deserves as much support as he can get. In the interest of better understanding this "egg man" and why his eggs are great and why he's so worth supporting, click here and enter password "Swappers" (without quotes). I found this a bit eye-opening and definitely educational.

• Like 1

OBoMcL sold me the absolutely best, most delicious hanger steak I've ever eaten. Better than Jamie S. better than Ray's the Steaks. Simply seasoned and grilled over charcoal, it was tender, juicy and deeply beefy. Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to make a trip over there. Haven't been in a while.

Totally agree the McLean butcher is a great shop! I also have bought from them and really liked what I've gotten. Big Polyface fan also--Joel Salatin has done a ton to educate and drive change in many positive ways with great products.

I try to support businesses as local as I can. Like most people, I care intensely about quality, value and how and where the food is produced (as best I can learn). From that standpoint, the local farmers' markets and vendors (e.g., Stachowski) usually get prioritized highest on my list. And, of course, reconciling all those objectives (local, quality, value, transparency) is a never-ending challenge, discussed extensively here on DR.com and elsewhere with millions of words.

All said, for eggs (and I'll leave to Don whether this merits a different thread), "the egg man at the Dupont market" is also known as Tom Hubric. He's the real deal in many senses of the word. And, imho, he deserves as much support as he can get. In the interest of better understanding this "egg man" and why his eggs are great and why he's so worth supporting, click here and enter password "Swappers" (without quotes). I found this a bit eye-opening and definitely educational.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Sure thing! I'd love to get a bit of discussion going around the food and social issues presented by the video. If enough were interested to check it out and share thoughts, maybe good for the mods to make it a separate thread since isn't related directly to OBoMcL.

Strange and unfortunate that I live in McLean, have been thinking about bettering the quality of my meat purchases/consumption (and to do so by perhaps using South Mountain Creamery's delivery services), and that this place never crossed my mind. I know where I'll be stopping this weekend...

Interesting website, too, with blog and recipes...http://www.theorganicbutcher.com/ml_home.html

Can someone who has gotten Polyface eggs from there, add a few more details in terms of cost and quality?

Usually we like the Ayrshire Farm eggs and occasionally make a trip out to Middleburg for their eggs and chicken,

but would like something closer.

...Usually we like the Ayrshire Farm eggs and occasionally make a trip out to Middleburg for their eggs and chicken,

Ayrshire now has products in the new MOM's Organic Market at Mosaic District complex in Merrifield FYI. I remember sausages and meats; not sure about eggs but didn't look at those when I was there. You might have a new source closer.

Have you ever tried Tom's in Dupont FM? I'm a big Ayrshire fan and have written some about them on different threads. They're an honest quality producer. Attended a dinner there last year and loved it. All said, assuming you liked the Tom eggs, he's 'more local' than Ayrshire and could certainly use the support much more than Ayrshire.

Can someone who has gotten Polyface eggs from there, add a few more details in terms of cost and quality?

Usually we like the Ayrshire Farm eggs and occasionally make a trip out to Middleburg for their eggs and chicken,

On Hell's Kitchen they do a blind taste test. The contestant is blindfolded and Gordo spoon feeds the contestant. Most of the time they can't tell one protein from another or one produce from another. On the Taste, you have four supposedly "culinary masters" who can't tell what they're eating even though they can see, smell, touch, and taste the food. Is there any discernible taste difference between eggs? Of course there are other reasons to shop for a specific item other than taste.

I've seen blog posts here and there about blind-tasting supermarket factory farm eggs v. supermarket "organic cage free" eggs v. barnyard eggs (chickens got a few bugs on their own but mostly grain fed) v. pastured chicken eggs. In all the tests, most tasters could tell the difference of the pastured chicken eggs by color and some tasters claimed they noted taste differences when fried or poached eggs from the more conventional farming practices. So the testers decided to then add food coloring to all the eggs and scramble them to eliminate the visual clues and then said the tasters couldn't tell the difference anymore, so why bother? I wondered why they didn't blindfold the tasters instead. It seems to me that the flavor of the yolk would be muted by scrambling and make the differences less discernible.

Ayrshire has not had eggs at Mom's Organic in either Herndon and Merrifield, the last few times I checked. Ayrshire Farm is a nice place, we went there last year for Loudoun County Spring Farm Tour, and it was lovely afternoon.

Mainly, I'm more interested in healthy fresh eggs for Omega-3 consumption.

As for the taste, I think there is a larger difference with texture.

On Hell's Kitchen they do a blind taste test. The contestant is blindfolded and Gordo spoon feeds the contestant. Most of the time they can't tell one protein from another or one produce from another. On the Taste, you have four supposedly "culinary masters" who can't tell what they're eating even though they can see, smell, touch, and taste the food. Is there any discernible taste difference between eggs? Of course there are other reasons to shop for a specific item other than taste.

Not so much on the 'shades of grey' along the middle of the spectrum (i.e., one local farm egg versus another) but you can see and taste this yourself if you pick up a dozen at Safeway and compare to a farmers' market egg that is less than a week old. Visually, the yolk is very different. Taste wise, the farmer's egg will be much richer and substantial. Best cooking method to taste test is poaching. Omega3s will usually be much higher in the local egg due to better quality, more expensive, feed.

We got a NY Strip to share (the steak was 1.5 inches think and weighed .82 lb) as well as one of the crab cakes. Both were excellent. i really believe you can taste the quality between this and what you'd get at, say, Harris Teeter. Also, I thought the crab cake was a good price (6.99 iirc), given its size, taste, quality (seemed like lump, tho I'm not entirely sure). Helpful and caring service, too. A really neat store, at which I expect to make frequent appearances.

We stopped by yesterday and picked up a dozen of the Polyface eggs and they were quite good. I've been driving by there since Taichibana opened up in that location and never stopped by. Should have taken a look.

Thanks to Nervous Eater and others for speaking so highly of it.

UnWined has a selection of Organic Butcher items for purchase online for pickup (locations at the Bradlee Shopping Center on King Street near 395 and the Belle View Shopping Center at Fort Hunt Road and Belle View Boulevard) or local delivery in Alexandria.

• Like 2

I buy my meat almost exclusively from the Organic Butcher.  Ask for "Frenchie."  He is the best.  They give phenomenal customer service and will pretty much cut the meat however you want it.  I get ground turkey and like a mix of white and dark and they are always wiling to do it for me.  The meat is so fresh and the quality is so much better than anything you can get from the supermarket. We also get bacon there for the weekends and it is also top quality.

Can't believe it's only been five years since I've been going there! I would have guess ten years if the proof wasn't earlier in this thread. We go there almost weekly. 

On 1/23/2018 at 11:02 PM, lion said:

Can't believe it's only been five years since I've been going there! I would have guess ten years if the proof wasn't earlier in this thread. We go there almost weekly. 

Have you seen the Wagyu sirloin cuts? ($39.99 a pound, so ouch, but wow.)

I just dropped $160 on a Wagyu tri-tip, two Fluke filets, a huge Berkshire pork tenderloin, a half-pound of thick-cut English bacon, a bottle of Sake ("Whispering Poet" - it's really good!), and a tiny thing of chocolates (for $10.99) :(

First-world problems.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Have you seen the Wagyu sirloin cuts? ($39.99 a pound, so ouch, but wow.)

I just dropped $160 on a Wagyu tri-tip, two Fluke filets, a huge Berkshire pork tenderloin, a half-pound of thick-cut English bacon, a bottle of Sake ("Whispering Poet" - it's really good!), and a tiny thing of chocolates (for $10.99) :(

First-world problems.

I cut back on my beef intake a while back but really enjoy their pork chops. Super easy to put them in a brine for 3-4 hours, pre-heat a skillet in the oven, and cook them on the stove and oven. During the summer time, I've pickup the pork tenderloin many times for the grill, they have a couple of in-house marinades that are pretty tasty. We've had their chicken and seafood as staples for a majority of our purchases. It is a good idea to ask sometimes as some products have difficult levels of being organic, etc...but again my favorite are their pork chops which are  cut steak size. Perfect! 

32 minutes ago, Rhone1998 said:

There's a lot of beautiful product in this store.  I also bought some blood sausage and bacon...I'm eating a lot of meat these days doing my low carb thing, can't wait to go back. Thanks for the heads up about this place!

They had English back bacon and some nitrate-free Virginia bacon earlier this week - I got the latter, and it's really good.

Isn't it *amazing* how much you long for some piping-hot bread and lightly salted butter doing a low-carb regimen? (That just killed you, didn't it.)

Seriously, they asked Shackleton's crew what they craved to eat the most, and to a man, every single person said, "Pastry!" That was pretty much The Ultimate Atkins Diet. (Best non-fiction adventure story you'll ever read, btw - talk about being in a bit of a pickle!)