Well, yes, at Chili's or some such place of course you would expect the free crummy ice cream sundae and the clapping, singing waitstaff.  And we look forward every year to taking the kids to IHOP for their free chocolate chip pancakes.   :lol:    But not at a place like Komi.

BTW, what I find funny about this is that Komi was quite gracious when we celebrated jenrus' birthday there last month. A glass of nice prosecco greeted us when we arrived at the table.

Of course, according to one poster in Tom's chat today, they did it because they were plying me to make nice comments here.

I guess it worked..

Edited by bilrus

Thank you so much for acknowleging this topic. Where is it written or assumed by patrons that a birthday automatically means "free dessert". I am aware that often when guests make reservations on Open Table or call in to make a reservation and mention that a birthday is being celebrated there is an expectation that the restaurant provide something to the guest. This may be simply in the form of a candle or possibly a plate inscribe with appropriate message. Anything beyond this is to the discretion of the restaurant. I have had instances where guest have repeatedly "mention" it was their friends birthday, and more recently a guest rolled her eyes at me when I presented dessert menus. She expected that a free dessert was being delivered since she had mentioned emphatically that it was her friends birthday. I understand that certain restaurants may acknowledge birthdays with a free dessert, but ALL restaurants do not. Nor are they obligated to.If an establishments chooses to offer something, whatever it may be, politely accept it and move on.

Last year we took our son to Taberna del Alabardero for his birthday. We didn't mention his birthday to the restaurant but when we ordered dessert, they brought out an extra for him on a plate with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on it. David Bueno (the sommelier) said he had overheard that we were celebrating our son's birthday so the dessert on the house.

Edited by dinwiddie

My recollection is that at Eve, if they know it is your birthday, anniversary, etc., they present you with a complimentary scone mix on exiting.

That's what they did for our anniversary dinner. The card accompanying the mix says something like, "Everything great takes a little work." I thought it was a nice sentiment. (Made good scones too.)

Thank you so much for acknowleging this topic. Where is it written or assumed by patrons that a birthday automatically means "free dessert".

These are the same "it's all about me, so gimme for free" people who expect to be comped entire meals for any misfire in their dining experience. Most restaurants operate on a thin margin and need to balance their pride in providing a flawless experience with the sad knowledge that there are grifters who will do nearly anything to score a free meal or entree.

If you're over the age of 12, you shouldn't expect a restaurant to fuss over your birthday. If you're under the age of 12, your parents might arrange (and pay for) some bit of fuss.

I spent my last birthday with some dining pals and my family in Palena's bar sampling as many dishes as possible. Quite unbidden, my daughter blurted to the hostess that it was my birthday. She was 5 (we took the early shift at Palena) and I suppose it was exciting to her. I did receive a small plate of cookies, which were much appreciated. But I certainly didn't expect anything at all, nor would I have thought to mention it to the staff.

These are the same "it's all about me, so gimme for free" people who expect to be comped entire meals for any misfire in their dining experience... If you're over the age of 12, you shouldn't expect a restaurant to fuss over your birthday. 

Um, no, we're not. I agree with Tom S here--it is still the "hospitality" business, isn't it? If I like to celebrate my birthday at 30, does that make me a stunted adolescent? Why is there something wrong with arriving early to ask the host if we can get a candle in my friend's birthday dessert, which we're paying for?

Most restaurants operate on a thin margin and need to balance their pride in providing a flawless experience....

"Most"? I am clearly dining in the wrong places.

Um, no, we're not. I agree with Tom S here--it is still the "hospitality" business, isn't it? If I like to celebrate my birthday at 30, does that make me a stunted adolescent? Why is there something wrong with arriving early to ask the host if we can get a candle in my friend's birthday dessert, which we're paying for?

I think it's the passive-aggressive attitude of the questioner that's a problem more than the desire to see their birthday recognized.If the restaurant asks whether it's a special occasion when you make your reservation then I think there's a reasonable expectation that they'll recognize it in some way. The same can't be said for mentioning that it's your birthday and then hoping they'll do something - unless you ask.

Oh, boy! Did you see the comment about OpenTable?? Could we hear from Rissa, Starfish, Derek Brown and/or others about this policy? :lol:

I've asked this question before, but haven't really received a definitive answer: would you rather we use OpenTable to make a reservation or just call you?

The comment on inferior seating for OpenTable reservations is complete malarkey. The means by which reservations were made do not factor into seating decisions, at least not when I'm the one making them.

This is how seating is determined, in priority order:

Factor #1:

Presence or absence of special requests. "Want a booth," "want table by fireplace," "want corner table," "want a quiet table" (SOL here), "want to sit upstairs," etc. If this request has been communicated, the diner gets a table they requested, assuming the numbers make sense and no conflicts arise.

Factor #2:

Type of diner. Regulars who come a lot and have known likes and dislikes will get seated at their favorite tables, assuming there is no conflict with prior requests.

Factor #3:

Workload of waiters. If there are no special requests on file and you are not known to have a favorite table, you will most likely get seated in the section of a restaurant covered by the waiter who is next in line for a table. Remember, the host who assigns seating has to make sure that all the waiters have at least equal opportunity to make a comparable number of counts on any given night.

Also, if you show up late, you will likely get seated in the "closing section," which gets late diners from let's say one hour to closing and onwards.

To recap, it doesn't matter if you make your reservations via the phone, OpenTable, registered mail, or telepathy. All I want to is to make you happy :lol:

As a dear friend of a Special Requests Queen, I have to admit I'm also curious as to how nuts kitchens must get driven by all the diners who request major modifications to existing menu items.

And I mean normal restaurant kitchens, not the types of places where you expect the chef to come storming out onto the floor with a cleaver if you ask your server for a pepper shaker. What's an acceptable level of alteration?

And do any of our industry members have any fun stories from the trenches about the most ludicrous modifications ever requested to one of their establishment's dishes? :lol:

Edited by Principia

I'm also curious as to how nuts kitchens must get driven by all the diners who request major modifications to existing menu items.

And I mean normal restaurant kitchens, not the types of places where you expect the chef to come storming out onto the floor with a cleaver if you ask your server for a pepper shaker. What's an acceptable level of alteration?

It is actually not bad at all. I don't remember any outlandish demands left via OpenTable. If any show up, which is quite rare, it would be something like "one person in the party is a vegetarian" or "I am allergic to XYZ", which is a REALLY important piece of information to have, so I say type away. It helps both the servers and the kitchen.

The funny bits conveyed by OpenTable requests usually come from first-time diners as they clearly can't be made by anyone else. Example: "we would like a quiet table by the window in your wonderful restaurant" request on a Thursday night during Restaurant Week. Well, we don't any windows OR quiet tables, and certainly not during RW.

But as I said, the majority of comments are helpful. You should also feel free to indicate birthdays/anniversaries as many restaurants would be happy to know that ahead of time, we certainly are.

I do wish Tom would have put his foot down on the multiple reservation thing.

Even if you plan to eventually cancel a reservation it is rude, greedy, and unthinking to make multiple reservations with the intent of not honoring one (or more).

C'mon Tom! Put these jerkies in their place!

I do wish Tom would have put his foot down on the multiple reservation thing.

I know... I'm tempted to check Emily Post and Miss Manners to see if they have anything to say about it.

Not that I've ever done or would ever do that, but I'd say that maybe, maybe making multiple reservations is OK if:

1. The reservations are being made well in advance, and

2. The excess reservations are cancelled within 24 hours of their original placement.

I can see where booking multiple restaurants might be tempting if you're trying to wrangle something for a group of friends and don't want to let one email straggler hold up the entire reservation process (et al), but it still seems inadvisable to me.

I know... I'm tempted to check Emily Post and Miss Manners to see if they have anything to say about it.

Not that I've ever done or would ever do that, but I'd say that maybe, maybe making multiple reservations is OK if:

1. The reservations are being made well in advance, and

Still unacceptable to me. What if someone else wants that reservation ?

2. The excess reservations are cancelled within 24 hours of their original placement.

I agree - the only reason to make multiple reservations is if you're concerned that someone else might take that space - in which case you're inconveniencing someone. Booking far ahead and they're far from full? Then you shouldn't need to make a reservation at that point anyway. Unless you're trying to make sure that someone else doesn't get one.

Well, I agree - in similar situations where I've been the organizer, I've always made an executive decision on behalf of the group's vacillators.

Playing the devil's advocate, though:

Given the recent RW conversations about repeatedly cruising OpenTable, are you telling me that "someone else" is incapable of calling back at a later time or re-checking OT? To that theoretical person (or the restaurant, for that matter), what's the difference between someone cancelling the next day because it's an extra reservation and someone cancelling the next day because they found out they have to go on a business trip?

Well, I agree - in similar situations where I've been the organizer, I've always made an executive decision on behalf of the group's vacillators.

Playing the devil's advocate, though:

Given the recent RW conversations about repeatedly cruising OpenTable, are you telling me that "someone else" is incapable of calling back at a later time or re-checking OT?

The other (well-mannered) potential guest has been forced to make a reservation at a less desirable time, or for a less desirable restaurant with every intention of keeping it. They will not then be constantly checking OT to drop the made reservation for the more desired one. That's like dating Plain Jane with every intention of dumping her if the Head Cheerleader breaks up with the captain of the football team.

To that theoretical person (or the restaurant, for that matter), what's the difference between someone cancelling the next day because it's an extra reservation and someone cancelling the next day because they found out they have to go on a business trip?

For the restaurant the outcome is the same.

On the ethical side, it's a matter of intent. The person sent on the sudden business trip (for our purposes) had every intent of fulfilling the reservation. Stuff happens.

To further muddy the waters. Most of the people that I've encountered that book multiples don't bother cancelling.

Multiple reservations are vile. You only have to have a party of let's say eight people to no-show once or twice during the night to screw up your seating plans.

I did NOT enjoy turning people away during RW only to have multiple deuces no-show minutes after I could have seated that table. That's revenue for the restaurant down the crapper, people!

There is nothing like getting baleful stares from waiters twenty minutes after their big table no-shows, and now you have to turn your carefully thought-out ballet-like seating plan into a Chinese firedrill clustershmuck.

Edited to add: OpenTable history shows the number of cancellations and no-shows on your record. Somewhere out there, a hostess is rubbing her little hands when a repeat no-show calls for a table.

Edited by Nadya

Another good reason for restaurants to prefer users of OpenTable.  It won't let you make two reservations at the same time for two different places.  (There is a way around that, but I won't tell you what it is.)

It also will not allow you to make reservations within a certain time (under 2 hours) of another reservation.

Another good reason for restaurants to prefer users of OpenTable.  It won't let you make two reservations at the same time for two different places.  (There is a way around that, but I won't tell you what it is.)

Since OT would then appear to be effective at heading off multi-res asshattery, does it seem feasible that restaurants could stop taking phone reservations in the foreseeable future?

Since OT would then appear to be effective at heading off multi-res asshattery, does it seem feasible that restaurants could stop taking phone reservations in the foreseeable future?

I don't think so. Even when OpenTable costs become negligible.

Human intelligence will always triumph over the machine, no matter how well-designed. I say onto you: if OpenTable tells you no tables are available, go ahead and call the restaurant. You never know. OpenTable seating plans are programmed with a certain degree of conservatism, and if the management is good at seating, they will push and extend and seat far in excess of what OpenTable permits. But they will not transfer that judgment power to the computer.

We had most spots blocked on OpenTable during RW because we wanted more control over reservations. I used an old-fashioned spreadsheet with paper and pencil that worked just fine.

The obvious way around the opentable prohibition on multiple reservations is to have multiple accounts under different names.

So the would-be OT hacker can then have multiple comments from restaurants calling them a no-showing jerkwad? :lol:

Does OT not prevent someone from registering multiple times with the same contact info?

...Edited to add: OpenTable history shows the number of cancellations and no-shows on your record.  Somewhere out there, a hostess is rubbing her little hands when a repeat no-show calls for a table....

Ugh. I was afraid of that. I recently had to cancel a spate of OT-made reservations, including three RW reservations, because, after I made the reservations, my wife inconveniently became pregnant and hyper-sensitive to all the smells that emanate from restaurant kitchens. (And it just didn't feel right to say, "Have fun fighting off your nausea, hon! I'm off to carouse all night and eat all the things that disgust you with people who don't suffer from this 'pregnancy' affliction!") I hope I'm not marked as a complete schmuck as a result.

So the would-be OT hacker can then have multiple comments from restaurants calling them a no-showing jerkwad?  :lol:

Does OT not prevent someone from registering multiple times with the same contact info?

A lot of people have more than one email address and its a simple matter to user slightly different contact information to confound the the registration system.

So the would-be OT hacker can then have multiple comments from restaurants calling them a no-showing jerkwad?  :lol:

If I recall correctly, you need to provide credit card info when registering. If you have lots of credit cards and lots of email accounts, I guess it's possible to register several times.

Ugh.  I was afraid of that.  I recently had to cancel a spate of OT-made reservations, including three RW reservations, because, after I made the reservations, my wife inconveniently became pregnant and hyper-sensitive to all the smells that emanate from restaurant kitchens.  (And it just didn't feel right to say, "Have fun fighting off your nausea, hon!  I'm off to carouse all night and eat all the things that disgust you with people who don't suffer from this 'pregnancy' affliction!")  I hope I'm not marked as a complete schmuck as a result.

Of course not, darlink! Remember, it's your history in just ONE restaurant, not your consolidated dining-out record. I don't think anyone is too bothered about one no-show. It's when you pull up someone's history and it says,

"Reservations: 17.

Cancellations: 2.

No-shows: 15."

you wish you could say, "Hmmmmm....come to think of it, we ARE fully booked tonight, Sir."

Edited by Nadya

Of course not, darlink! Remember, it's your history in just ONE restaurant, not your consolidated dining-out record.  I don't think anyone is too bothered about one no-show.

And I would imagine they wouldn't be worried about cancellations either, since that shows you were at least considerate enough to do so. I mean, can you imagine how many cancellations folks like doctors must have on their records?

And I would imagine they wouldn't be worried about cancellations either, since that shows you were at least considerate enough to do so. I mean, can you imagine how many cancellations folks like doctors must have on their records?

Of course, calling to cancel is much more considerate and preferable to a no-show.

Of course not, darlink! Remember, it's your history in just ONE restaurant, not your consolidated dining-out record.  I don't think anyone is too bothered about one no-show. ...

(Just to make sure I'm not unjustly labeled with a scarlet "N", I did cancel all those reservations. To my recollection, I've never no-showed anywhere. Thank you for this opportunity to issue this clarification, which shall be inserted into an appropriate place in the Rockwellian Record.)

Don't EVER double-book at a restaurant, and if you're going to cancel, then give ample notice - seventy-two hours or more, preferably a week.

And by the way, every single person in the world who drives while using their cell phone is an asshole.

Except for me!

Rocks

Don't EVER double-book at a restaurant...

Do you mean people making multiple reservations at a single restaurant? I'd ask if people ever actually did that, but given Nadya's RW phone encounter with that one lady, I'm sure it probably does. shudder

So, the ultimate jackhole would...

Be double-parking in a handicapped space while using his cellphone to make two reservations each at five different restaurants for Valentine's Day?

Edited by Principia

And by the way, every single person in the world who drives while using their cell phone is an asshole. 

Except for me!

Rocks

I would be happy to see people slapped with $200 fines for using them while operating a motor vehicle.

And on that note, I do love how Maestro boasts (on its website) that it's a cell free establishment. Unless you're a doctor....

And don't get me started on text messaging and blackberries.

I'm anggggggy.

And on that note, I do love how Maestro boasts (on its website) that it's a cell free establishment.  Unless you're a doctor....

I once had dinner at a Michelin three-star restaurant in France, and a cellphone went off playing the final movement of Bach's Second Orchestral Suite in B-minor (the dreaded badinerie). The only flutes needed in a dining room are ones filled with champagne - I had checked my phone at the front desk, who offered to answer calls and fetch me if needed.

Cheers,

Rocks

I had checked my phone at the front desk, who offered to answer calls and fetch me if needed.

I LOVE that service... but have never seen it in use. I have seen menus (not in the US) that asked guests to forward their calls to the restaurant phone number. Neat idea, but who knows how to do that!