Do you think that one maximizes one's odds of getting a question answered by submitting the question in advance, or submitting the question during the chat?

It's been my limited experience that ones submitted during the chat are more likely to be answered. I suspect he sits down at the computer a minute before the chat begins, sees about 100 pre-submitted questions, says, "Oh criminy, what a bunch of losers, who have actually spent time earlier in the week drafting questions for me," and then never even reads them.

mmmmmmmmm.....

Bavarian Chef!

Are you saying that this place really is worth the journey? On the basis of the perennial Washingtonian listing (foolish, I know) I went to the Würzburg Haus a couple of years ago, and that wasn't even worth the journey to Rockville. Bavarian Chef is the real deal?

Are you saying that this place really is worth the journey? On the basis of the perennial Washingtonian listing (foolish, I know) I went to the Würzburg Haus a couple of years ago, and that wasn't even worth the journey to Rockville. Bavarian Chef is the real deal?

I wouldn't call it a destination restaurant.

I stop by about once a year because I drive by there every couple of months.

It's good brauhaus food and beer.

If you're hitting Charlottesville or the vineyards or going leaf peeping or antique hunting or whatever stop in and have a good meal.

I'd make a special trip (about 1.75 hours from DC) only if I was really really jonesing for German food. Which I kind of am right about now.

I hate to make my first post on this board a curmudgeonly one (hi all!), but is Tom's writing style starting to get to anyone else? Much of it is fine, but, WOW--his modifiers are starting to make it to trash-novel extremes.

"Fattened"

"Flecked"

"Brightened"

"Draped"

I'm as much for painting a picture as the next gal, but gracious. Is he not aware that sometimes you CAN just use the word "sauce"?

I can't stand anything "-fisted". I'm tired of cooking and fists.

Use "pawed" or "clawed" instead of "fisted" or "handed"...

"....the classic Silk Road

dumpling that suggests a ham-fisted adaptation of delicate Chinese wontons..."

-Robert Sietsema

February 2001

For some reason I can't stand "tuck into" and  "lapped" and "napped". Also, the one word that NO food writer should ever use under any circumstance:  "scrumptious". I hate that word!

"To boot". Hear it a lot, actually.

"I've got some scrumptious dishes lined up that are quick and easy to prepare, while being tasty to boot! We're cookin' for bulimics today on The Food Network!"

Meaghan: I can tolerate 'ham-fisted' as long as it is paired with 'yahoo-assed'.

Tourists come to these-and-other nationally publicized "landmark" restaurants and expect something glorious. They often get an over-salted, ill-seasoned, gummily-sauced ham-fisted yahoo-assed meal, then walk out of the restaurant wondering what they don't understand, and then they remember that simple little teahouse in Greenwich Village that they enjoyed so much more.
Edited because I found the quote!

Fun factoid: A search for 'yahoo-assed' on eGullet turns up 30 pages of results.

Edited by shogun

I can't stand anything "-fisted".  I'm tired of cooking and fists. 

Use "pawed" or "clawed" instead of "fisted" or "handed"...

"....the classic Silk Road

dumpling that suggests a ham-fisted adaptation of delicate Chinese wontons..."

-Robert Sietsema

February 2001

uh oh...
"The food here is good, but not elegant or fine - very satisfying in a hamfisted way." - DonRocks  October, 2005

i found tom's chat especially intriguing this week. at one point he refers to a hitchcockian persona, confides that he felt like a thief even though the incident only involved swapped umbrellas, reveals a year-long assignment in germany, lapses into the mother tongue and professes amazement that a belgian chef has been allowed to continue poisoning his patrons with asparagus ice cream.

restaurants are frozen in amber, shadows of their former selves and even have secret entrances.

he also confides that he is putting on his long johns and likes to start the day with oatmeal with flax and honey, an aside to a thinly veiled lamentation on the state of his health.

this busy guy needs to put aside some time for the couch!

Do you think that one maximizes one's odds of getting a question answered by submitting the question in advance, or submitting the question during the chat?

It's been my limited experience that ones submitted during the chat are more likely to be answered.  I suspect he sits down at the computer a minute before the chat begins, sees about 100 pre-submitted questions, says, "Oh criminy, what a bunch of losers, who have actually spent time earlier in the week drafting questions for me," and then never even reads them.

I recall that Tom has said that he comes in early on Weds to read through the pre-submitted questions and type out responses. (This statement has usually been made when a reader attacks him for not reviewing enough restaurants and being a lazy ass.)

Plus, "I've always wanted to own my own restaurant."
This quote from Tom's Weekly Dish concering Patrick Bazin opening his own restaurant in Vienna. Point: it's not a sentence/grammatically correct...OK, no Biggie, but still, just more proof how email is affecting the written language.

For some reason I can't stand "tuck into" and  "napped". Also, the one word that NO food writer should ever use under any circumstance:  "scrumptious" or its sibling "scrum-diddly-umptious" :lol: . I hate that word!

Is Ned Flanders writing restaurant reviews somewhere? :P

This quote from Tom's Weekly Dish concering Patrick Bazin opening his own restaurant in Vienna.  Point: it's not a sentence/grammatically correct...OK, no Biggie, but still, just more proof how email is affecting the written language.

In what way is it grammatically incorrect? The style isn't great, but there is nothing technically wrong with the sentence.

For some reason I can't stand "tuck into" and  "napped". Also, the one word that NO food writer should ever use under any circumstance:  "scrumptious" or its sibling "scrum-diddly-umptious" :lol: . I hate that word!

How about "nestled"... I can't stand that one either.

(And does Tom S. use "ignited" way too much when describing anything spicy, or is that just me?).

Edited by cjsadler

This quote from Tom's Weekly Dish concering Patrick Bazin opening his own restaurant in Vienna.  Point: it's not a sentence/grammatically correct...OK, no Biggie, but still, just more proof how email is affecting the written language.

"I've always wanted to own my own restaurant..." is awkward, but there's nothing wrong with the quote. In the first instance own is the verb and in the second it's an adj. Nothing wrong.

"I've always wanted to own my own restaurant..." is awkward, but there's nothing wrong with the quote.  In the first instance own is the verb and in the second it's an adj.  Nothing wrong.

Except that it is redundant. "I've always wanted to own a restaurant" is a better construction.

Except that it is redundant.  "I've always wanted to own a restaurant" is a better construction.

except we are talking about two different kinds of writing here; in tom's case it is a chat in which he is typing as fast as he can and doesn't have the luxury of dotting his i's. online mishaps don't bother me; that's the trade off for being able to read and right things that would never make it into print otherwise.

Except that it is redundant.  "I've always wanted to own a restaurant" is a better construction.

Disagree. But only because this is a somewhat special case. Here, "my own restaurant" is a single, unified concept, as in "my very own restaurant", and deletion of the "own" before restaurant detracts from the thought. It could have been "and have my own restaurant" but that seems weak. The way it was originally written strikes me as the best way to communicate the sentiment.

Who among us, I ask you, has never thought of the pros and cons of owning his/her own restaurant?

Whoops, I meant "Plus" not "Point"...

I get it now. I was thinking that the quote was only "I've always wanted to own my own restaurant." But, it wasn't. The quote to which you were referring was (in its entirety):

"'I want to become part of the fabric of a community,' he says, explaining his decision to move from downtown to Vienna, where he lives. Plus, 'I've always wanted to own my own restaurant.'"

You are correct, that is grammatically confusing to say the least. The "plus" is out of place.

i guess it is far too early to tell whether tom should be sending diners in the vicinity of the convention center to vegetate. i thought it was a joke until noticing that it was mentioned by todd kliman in his chat yesterday.

you can't tell much from the menu online, but they don't have a liquor license, they say, because of opposition from the shiloh baptist church. what are you supposed to drink with the cheese plate? milk?

so this is the thanks the proprietors get for cleaning up the human excrement on their block?