I see him around all the time too. Years ago, my sister worked at DCCD on 18th St. and he used to come in regularly. She got it into her head that he was Mark Jenkins, the music critic for the City Paper and Washington Post!

And now, to make my first post (long-time lurker here and on eG) food-related, I saw him at the Palena bar a couple of weeks ago.

And now, to make my first post (long-time lurker here and on eG) food-related, I saw him at the Palena bar a couple of weeks ago.

9 months between joining and posting? Might be a new record!!! <_<

Glad you finally left the shadows.

I've chatted with him before and he is a bit off kilter but not scarily so. He's  always struck me as a lost puppy.  I've seen him around for at least 18 years (yes I'm old) and remember his burnt-orange suit from the 80's most vividly.

I know exactly who this guy is too, as I see him all the time. Always wondered what his story was. That's incredible that he's been making his 'rounds' for that long.

"Off kilter" is a better way to express what I was thinking than "crazy".  He's a nice guy.

i have known mark for several years, and yes, i too would describe him as a bit off-kilter. at the same time i would describe him as having a brilliant, if slightly repetitive, mind. i am quite happy to converse with him in doses. which would explain why my favorite "markism" is his standard way of ending a conversation when he feels that his welcome has expired. "everyone will tell you when to show up, but knowing when to leave is the hieght of dukedom"

I know exactly who this guy is.  He's been hanging out, always alone, along the Dupont-Logan axis for at least a decade, is a little bit off-kilter though polite and friendly enough, looks very presentable for someone who seems to wear the same suit every day (though the suit changes over the years), and needs a friend.

He works at Christian Science Monitor, still appreciates newsprint and talks too much. Yep. That the one?

He works at Christian Science Monitor, still appreciates newsprint and talks too much. Yep.  That the one?

Mark Kaplowitz-good friend of one of my best friends back in old days-Dad owned some local paper in Bethesda. He managed to offend all of us one too many times-esp. likes to, um, how can I say this, pitch a tent and point it at whatever woman he's talking to. Pretty sure my wife smacked him once. Definitely out there.

Has anyone ever noticed how much complaining goes on during this chat. My god! people expect too much from Restaurants! Some comments from todays chat

Had business-type lunch yesterday at Sonoma. Everything was great, but our table had picnic-style bench seating, which was really awkward. Getting up to greet people when they arrived was awkward, involved pushing bench back from table, etc. Same if somebody had to hit the restroom. A minor complaint about an overall great experience.
really find that I thoroughly enjoy my meal more when I have space and don't have to listen to other people's conversations. Which restaurants in the city can you recommend where I can be comfortable? Thanks!
was invited to a mock restaurant opening last week for a brand new place in Alexandria (this particular restaurant group owns a few others in the area). My experience was less than desirable and I'm not sure how to handle it as a mock service is more for the establishment to work out their kinks then for me to be a picky diner. Our reservations were for 9pm, we were sat at 10pm and our first course arrived at 11pm. I can handle all of that because I know the kitchen is trying to get it together BUT, the food was TERRIBLE! We did let our server know how we felt and we were very tactful....unfortunately, both of us got sick that evening and the next morning. Should we inform the restaurant?? We had split a bottle of wine but, neither of us are known for a weak stomach!.... 

(There is reason why they call it a Mock opening, If I am correct these meals are free?)

was invited to a mock restaurant opening last week for a brand new place in Alexandria (this particular restaurant group owns a few others in the area). My experience was less than desirable and I'm not sure how to handle it as a mock service is more for the establishment to work out their kinks then for me to be a picky diner. Our reservations were for 9pm, we were sat at 10pm and our first course arrived at 11pm. I can handle all of that because I know the kitchen is trying to get it together BUT, the food was TERRIBLE! We did let our server know how we felt and we were very tactful....unfortunately, both of us got sick that evening and the next morning. Should we inform the restaurant?? We had split a bottle of wine but, neither of us are known for a weak stomach!.... 

(There is reason why they call it a Mock opening, If I am correct these meals are free?)

The person who wrote this obviously does not care about the friendship of whomever invited them to the mock opening. Not to mention the libelous implication that it was the food at the opening that made them sick.

Frankly, I sense a made-up story.

The person who wrote this obviously does not care about the friendship of whomever invited them to the mock opening. Not to mention the libelous implication that it was the food at the opening that made them sick.

Frankly, I sense a made-up story.

What I want to know is why was this even allowed to make it to the chat?! I think it is rather irresponsible and provides nothing of value.

What I want to know is why was this even allowed to make it to the chat?!  I think it is rather irresponsible and provides nothing of value.

Generally agree, though there's some value to knowing the appropriate response to getting sick after eating at a restaurant (though the answer does seem pretty obvious). That being said, obviously he should have omitted the low credibility, slanderous portions of the question. Maybe a good editor should have cropped that portion of it?

Generally agree, though there's some value to knowing the appropriate response to getting sick after eating at a restaurant (though the answer does seem pretty obvious).  That being said, obviously he should have omitted the low credibility, slanderous portions of the question.  Maybe a good editor should have cropped that portion of it?

Or perhaps replied in a way to answer the chatters question, but not let the details be known to the general audience. Such as:

"To Soft Opening- Definitely let the manager know"

That would have done it.

Not to mention the libelous implication that it was the food at the opening that made them sick....
Libelling whom, precisely? One, I've been food poisoned a few different times at restaurants (the two-occasion culprit having since closed), so I don't know why people find it so hard to believe that this could happen. Two, do you know who they're talking about? I certainly can't tell from their purposefully vague description.

On the other hand, if the poster had given enough detail so that people reading the chat could have a fairly good idea of what soon-to-open place was being discussed, then no, that wouldn't be fair.

Libelous because it is an unsupported allegation. The vast majority of food-borne pathogens that cause "food poisoning" take several hours, in many cases days, to cause symptoms. So a claim that they became sick that evening from food consumed an hour before is suspect.

Even if we call it "potentially libelous", the way it was done -- providing enough information that a fair number of people could identify the restaurant -- was just effing classless.

Any complaints, no matter how veiled, about a restaurants soft opening are shit. The poster even stated "I was invited to a mock restaurant opening..." implying that they were there gratis in order to give the restaurant practice and CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

The poster is a cretin of the highest order for airing this grievance in public, and Tom' bullshit detector must be broken.

Any complaints, no matter how veiled, about a restaurants soft opening are shit. The poster even stated "I was invited to a mock restaurant opening..." implying that they were there gratis in order to give the restaurant practice and CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

The poster is a cretin of the highest order for airing this grievance in public, and Tom' bullshit detector must be broken.

Brian, I second that.

What I want to know is why was this even allowed to make it to the chat?!  I think it is rather irresponsible and provides nothing of value.

How does such an irresponsible and ungrateful person even have friends who would trust and like him/her enough to invite them to a soft opening....or anything else for that matter....yikes

Even if we call it "potentially libelous", the way it was done -- providing enough information that a fair number of people could identify the restaurant -- was just effing classless.

If by "fair number of people" you mean us here on this board, I would hardly say that qualifies. And I'll point out that it was a member here who has openly posited a name - not Tom, and not the poster.

I'm surprised if this person's friend was close enough to the restaurant team to be invited to a dry run that the friend doesn't know how to get feedback to the management. If the service and food really were as horrid (and illness-causing) as this person claims, then they need to let the restaurant know before it opens.

I'm surprised if this person's friend was close enough to the restaurant team to be invited to a dry run that the friend doesn't know how to get feedback to the management. If the service and food really were as horrid (and illness-causing) as this person claims, then they need to let the restaurant know before it opens.

Exactly why this complaint is crap.

If by "fair number of people" you mean us here on this board, I would hardly say that qualifies. And I'll point out that it was a member here who has openly posited a name - not Tom, and not the poster.

No, I mean a fair number of people who read Tom's chat, especially anyone who eats regularly in Alexandria.

... the point remains--what happens in a soft pre-opening, stays in a soft pre-opening.  Full stop.

Couldn't agree with you more. That's the purpose behind having mocks.

What I am left wondering from the post is that the poster stated that the "food was DISGUSTING". Why on earth would that moron eat any of it, much less enough of it to make them sick the next morning?

I think it is incredibly unprofessional and rude of Sietsema and the person(s) who monitor the questions he replies to to include such an inflammatory post, especially as the first one on the chat. The post said nothing of value, except to whine about a free meal where the diners were the guinea pigs.

I expect a higher level of support for a new restaurant from Sietsema and the Post.

Willing to help put out any fire,

hillvalley

Not only is the poster a cretin of the highest AND lowest order, I'm ready to start putting the moniker on Sietsema, too. Between his unending harrassment of Ray's the Steaks and this utterly base, useless, piece of crap he put on his chat today, I'd just as soon see him run out of town.

Let's examine that post for a moment. It was right at the beginning of the chat, and probably had been sent in early. He must have had plenty of time to decide whether or not to post it. He chose to run it, so clearly he thought it had some value. I'd give anything to hear what "public/community service" fantasy he might come up with to explain that.

What value might it have had? I agree with mdt. None. Sietsema himself is always proud to tell us how many times he visits a restaurant before he first does a review. In fact, let me direct you to his own words where he tells about the great care he puts in to his reviews.

I have no objection to him posting reasonable reader comments on the chat about a place he's never been before. But to post an opinion/allegation like that on his chat before a place has even opened? Where does that fit in with his comment here that he aims to be fair to the restaurant industry?

<_<

Not only is the poster a cretin of the highest AND lowest order, I'm ready to start putting the moniker on Sietsema, too.  Between his unending harrassment of Ray's the Steaks and this utterly base, useless, piece of crap he put on his chat today, I'd just as soon see him run out of town.

Let's examine that post for a moment.  It was right at the beginning of the chat, and probably had been sent in early.  He must have had plenty of time to decide whether or not to post it.  He chose to run it, so clearly he thought it had some value.  I'd give anything to hear what "public/community service" fantasy he might come up with to explain that.

What value might it have had?  I agree with mdt.  None.  Sietsema himself is always proud to tell us how many times he visits a restaurant before he first does a review. In fact, let me direct you to his own words where he tells about the great care he puts in to his reviews. 

I have no objection to him posting reasonable reader comments on the chat about a place he's never been before.  But to post an opinion/allegation like that on his chat before a place has even opened?  Where does that fit in with his comment here that he aims to be fair to the restaurant industry?

Sietsema acts like he's carrying nothing but rat balls in his sack.  <_<

So Crescent, why hold back. Tell us what you really think!

The profound animus towards Ray's the Steaks and this current episode certainly raises some red flags regarding what, if anything, is going on in Sietsemas' alleged mind.  Are he and his staff totally lacking in good judgement?

I think it's unclear at this point.

But I'd like to take this opportunity to reiterate that I think he's a lousy writer. I swear, if I have to read about one more "soulful" something "spiked" with something and "enlivened" by something else, I'm gonna plotz...

I think it's unclear at this point.

But I'd like to take this opportunity to reiterate that I think he's a lousy writer. I swear, if I have to read about one more "soulful" something "spiked" with something and "enlivened" by something else, I'm gonna plotz...

Every restaurant reviewer seems to have "go-to" words. For Phyllis Richman (and others) the word was "gutsy." I hate that description. How is food gutsy? Perhaps the chef is gutsy, but the food?

Every restaurant reviewer seems to have "go-to" words. For Phyllis Richman (and others) the word was "gutsy." I hate that description. How is food gutsy? Perhaps the chef is gutsy, but the food?

Heh.

You know, I don't even mind those phrasings--IF they're few and far between. But why does it seem so hard for him to just call a cigar a cigar? Real language is so rare nowadays... Sigh.

[sorry to go off-topic, everybody--this is just my numero uno pet peeve about him.]

Perhaps it was tripe?

In defense of Tom Sietsema, I think that the job of moderating that chat and deciding what questions get in and which don't every week is daunting. Perhaps the question was submitted in advance, perhaps it wasn't. It wasn't the first question but it was close to the top.

There are so many questions that come in, and most likely when the question came in he didn't really think that it would be that obvious what restaurant it was...Perhaps in his desire to keep the chat fresh and interesting he posted the question, rather than post the usual Hey Tom I Love You I'm In Town For The Weekend Where Do I Go question.

However, I do think that my response to the question would have been a slap on the wrist for the chatter. Something to the effect of "You are paramecium excrement low for even submitting this to me. A restaurant, invites you in to their restaurant, gives you a free meal, and you decide to email me with insinuations that you got food poisoning and complaining about slow service as a thank you. Quite franky, you're an asshole."

But then again, I don't work for The Post.

You know, I don't even mind those phrasings--IF they're few and far between. But why does it seem so hard for him to just call a cigar a cigar? Real language is so rare nowadays... Sigh.

But suppose you're being bombarded with questions, asking you to talk about 100 cigars, and you have to toss it all off, unedited, in one hour? Honestly, I don't see how it would be possible for either Tom or Todd to do a better job in their chats. If I didn't have an edit button, I'd probably be in jail by now.

Cheers,

Rocks.

However, I do think that my response to the question would have been a slap on the wrist for the chatter. Something to the effect of "You are paramecium excrement low for even submitting this to me. A restaurant, invites you in to their restaurant, gives you a free meal, and you decide to email me with insinuations that you got food poisoning and complaining about slow service as a thank you. Quite franky, you're an asshole."

But then again, I don't work for The Post.

I totally agree with you. He rarely uses his rather enormous soapbox for good. People write in with the most egregious crap, and his general reply is, "Chatters?" That's soooo wussy.

Or maybe he just doesn't bother to read the questions--seems to happen in a lot of the chats nowadays, punting or answering a question that wasn't asked.

Tom is usually very good at calling ahead of time if something comes to his attention that he thinks a restaurant would like to respond to - as he says a good amount of the time, there's usually another side to the story.

In this instance it didn't happen, which is unfortunate; and the person submitting the post (who might have been a +1) obviously didn't care to share their side of the story with the restaurant before sharing it with the rest of the world.

This post isn't meant to jump on the band wagon, but I was a little irritated that he decided to do a review of Bazin's after one visit one week after it opened. He says it's not a real review, but it was. I've been there once and I felt it was worth checking out again. 75 minutes is absurd to wait, but I was there at the exact same time and there were empty tables being set up for the next seating. I'm guessing that Bazin's needs to work out their kinks. A Saturday one week after a decent restaurant finally opens in Vienna is probably a lousy time to get your first impression as a Post reviewer. I'm not seeing this as a consistent practice of his, and I wonder about the motive.

But suppose you're being bombarded with questions, asking you to talk about 100 cigars, and you have to toss it all off, unedited, in one hour?  Honestly, I don't see how it would be possible for either Tom or Todd to do a better job in their chats.  If I didn't have an edit button, I'd probably be in jail by now.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I forgive the bulk of the fuzzy-wuzzy language in the chats because they happen on the fly. I'm talking about his columns, which he clearly thinks on for much longer. From an actual review: "draped in a midnight-colored sauce that reverberates with red pepper." Kill me now.

Seriously, If I read one more"Tom, love the chats", or "we were going to go there until we read your review" I'm going to barf. His chat's are as helpful as Desson Howe's movie reviews. I think that the Washington Post in general has writer's who's ego's are as inflated as the federal deficit. Really-do we need to have a critic that doesn't identify himself. It's kind of on par with Deep Throat-Anonamous source tells us that the bread they serve is a day old-Scandal. While most restaurant people can identify him, I believe that critics should foster relations with the dining community-the premise of disguise is outdated and fosters a lack of accountability, or perhaps the idea that his food would be spiked with something undesirable if given a poor review <_< It worked for Phyllis Richman, but it's 2006 time to get over yourself. If your going to be a critic-and we all are, except that he's paid to do it, lets show yourself and not be automatically distrusting or defensive when reviewing a restaurant. I don't think he is far off the mark with regards to his reviews, but there are plenty of times that he takes unessassary potshots with catty comments that have no place in his reviews. He's a pretty predictable guy-he likes plummy Malbecs, Pho, a good bar scene, chairs that fit his ass. If you are a certain celebrity Chef who makes him starstruck, you could basically serve sh@t on a parkerhouse roll and it would be ingenious. Please understand that I'm not saying this becuase my current restaurant only got one star, I've been mentioned favorably by him personally before, but He is really in a job that is self-empowering and I think he could be a little more professional and learn to expand his somewhat limited/repetative vocabulary. He has a job that I think we all would like to have for a limited period of time. My wish is that most people would takes his reviews with a grain of salt and ultimatly give many places a try and make up your own mind. Be your own critic and then tell your friends about the place in a food site like Don Rockwell--Oh My God, we've Morphed ;)

This post isn't meant to jump on the band wagon, but I was a little irritated that he decided to do a review of Bazin's after one visit one week after it opened. He says it's not a real review, but it was. I've been there once and I felt it was worth checking out again. 75 minutes is absurd to wait, but I was there at the exact same time and there were empty tables being set up for the next seating. I'm guessing that Bazin's needs to work out their kinks. A Saturday one week after a decent restaurant finally opens in Vienna is probably a lousy time to get your first impression as a Post reviewer. I'm not seeing this as a consistent practice of his, and I wonder about the motive.

I was also really shocked by this. I read it online and actually scrolled back up to verify that it was him. Seems very uncharacteristic, and I hope he doesn't make it a habit.

My wish is that most people would takes his reviews with a grain of salt and ultimatly give many places a try and make up your own mind. Be your own critic and then tell your friends about the place in a food site like Don Rockwell--Oh My God, we've Morphed <_<

One of us! One of us!

I just believe the idea of 'Ask Tom' has turned into 'Tell Tom'.

This is dead-on, rabbi. People are using him for access, not advice. That's not a discussion, that's ombudsmanship (ombudsmanism? ombudsmania?)

Of course, I liked his reviews more before he used "Disneyesque" to describe bright colors and "Buca di Beppo-size" to describe large servings. He must understand how such terms are loaded with far more connotations -- largely negative ones -- than he seems to recognize when he uses them so indiscriminately. To use them is to use brands as shorthand for real language, and precision be damned.