Another facet of the prism through which this might be viewed is that when you get to know the chef and the staff at a place, fewer things tend to go wrong.

I think the goal of most restaurants should be to treat everyone equally. That does not mean that frequent diners should not get special treatment like frequent flyers, but a normal diner should be treated with the same attention to detail.

Too bad those doofi (plural) don't post their real names.  How in the hell can you bitch about the cost when it is known to you before you order?

Not to mention the talk of not being wowed.  I guess some people do not appreciate quality ingredients prepared very well.  I guess most of it is because of all the new press.  Being at or near the top always brings out the whiners.

Ok, I know I am gonna get roasted for this, but:

No matter how good a restaurant is, nobody bats a thousand. I've had less than stellar meals at some of the board favorites here, and had they been my first time there, I'm sure I'd think WTF? If I know the general quality, it's a lot easier to think 'huh, musta been an off night.'

Of all the food I've eaten over the last couple of years, that lobster creme brulee really stands out for me: I was blown away. But I don't remember it being particularly sweet. It really is possible this guy's came out wrong. And, since it's an unusual food, it's a hard thing for someone to know "Hey, this doesn't taste as intended" and ask for it "right," which is what they might do for, say, overseasoned or overcooked fish.

As for the price: of course you are going to be disappointed when you spend more money on food you don't like. If I spend $250 on a dinner, and it doesn't live up to expectation, it's normal to feel more irritated than if I had spent $50.

No one get's mad when we point out that a local steakhouse produces an amazing dinner for $20... we all celebrate. It's the flip side of the same coin, is it not?

[Edited for formatting...]

I can't believe the Post lets this stuff stay on its website. In addition to the ridiculous complaints about Eve there was the simply crass bragging about how much people spend on dinner. How can anyone read this stuff and think it helps anything?

The Kliman chat is a million times better, he uses it sort of like a blog & then answers a few questions. I've seen people make the point (on this board and elsewhere) that its amazing that he can fire off well composed answers that quickly, and while it is something I certainly couldn't do, I dont see how it helps his chats. It certainly hasn't made for interesting reading over the last few months.

Also, from reading the chat the thing his readers seem to care most about is the service, something that he can't really comment on. Remember the Old Homestead review? "bad food, great service" He said a few weeks later that they knew who he was all along. I agree to a point that a bad kitchen can't turn out good food even if they know who they are cooking for, but same simply can't be said about service.

I hope my complaining about his chat comes off better than the complaining on his chat.

Again, edited for spelling. All this great mexican food is getting to my head. While I was in Taqueria Distrito Central tonight the guy mentioned that they will be in the food section next week, and assuming that its in the Weekly Dish Sietsema isn't all bad.

Ok, I know I am gonna get roasted for this, but:

No matter how good a restaurant is, nobody bats a thousand. 

I would agree with you in most cases...except for Restaurant Eve! My wife and I have had the pleasure of dining there quite a few times and have yet to be disappointed in a single offering.

Let's see, 9 course menu at $110 per (an eminently reasonable price(not that I can do that very often at all))x 2 = $220.

Leaving $230 on 2 half-bottles of wine and tax (or does VA? You can see how closely I look at my restaurant bills), or ~$200 on the wine alone. Read the prices on the wine list before you order or don't bitch about the price ya doofus.

I must admit, I don't read the prices on the menu at Eve before I order either. I don't give a shit. I pay for quality ingredients to be made into great dishes by Cathal and his crew. That costs the business money and I want them to be profitable so their restaurant stays around for a long time. If I didn't enjoy the food, I just would not return.

I would agree with you in most cases...except for Restaurant Eve!  My wife and I have had the pleasure of dining there quite a few times and have yet to be disappointed in a single offering.

I've had the pleasure of eating there a couple of times...and nobody bats a thousand.

I can't believe the Post lets this stuff stay on its website.  In addition to the ridiculous complaints about Eve there was the simply crass bragging about how much people spend on dinner.  How can anyone read this stuff and think it helps anything? 

I got the sense that most of that was people making fun of the original person who posted his brag. They were pretty over the top.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  We all have different palates.  It's too bad for you that you don't have a good one. :)

(To veer a bit more off topic, but not entirely) Does anyone ever have this experience where a place that gets almost universal raves consistently comes up short in your mind. Not just one bad dish, but dishes you just don't like or just don't "get" over several meals over a period of time.

Does it make you wonder what others are tasting that you aren't? Or does it make you questions your own judgements or pre-concieved notions or attitude about a place?

(To veer a bit more off topic, but not entirely) Does anyone ever have this experience where a place that gets almost universal raves consistently comes up short in your mind.  Not just one bad dish, but dishes you just don't like or just don't "get" over several meals over a period of time. 

Does it make you wonder what others are tasting that you aren't?  Or does it make you questions your own judgements or pre-concieved notions or attitude about a place?

Once or twice, Mr. S and I have come away from a dinner at a restaurant that has drawn universal raves, wondering if we missed a kool-aid stand on the way in.

Certainly, preconceived notions play a part in one's dining experience to some extent. And I would say that my own extensive reading of DR.com postings tells me that not everything tastes the same to everyone.

When we're talking the upper eschelon in price, expectations are commensurately higher, and often at that level one unhappy experience is enough to kill one's desire to return. I'm not talking about one dish being not quite right, but a meal that, start to finish, does not at all live up to the hype.

Personally, I find the chats (both Tom's and Todd's) somewhat tedious, and I don't run to read them every week. But when a discussion ensues here, or someone mentions a chat to me, I go back and read it. This one in particular was fairly silly, IMO, although I know some feelings were hurt. I wonder how much some diners' perceptions are shaped by the misinformation in some (non-local) guides that seem to consistently quote prices that are unrealistically low for some of these restaurants. That could account for a certain amount of sticker shock, and have a very negative effect on the diners' perception of the meal itself.

Or does it make you questions your own judgements or pre-concieved notions or attitude about a place?

Actually, I have the opposite of this experience with one restaurant. I've been to Chef Geoff's a handful of times, and I've never had bad food or bad service. My experience has ranged from a little above average to a couple of dishes that were particularly good.

But, I've heard nothing but bad things, so I always wonder... have I just been really lucky?

(To veer a bit more off topic, but not entirely) Does anyone ever have this experience where a place that gets almost universal raves consistently comes up short in your mind.  Not just one bad dish, but dishes you just don't like or just don't "get" over several meals over a period of time. 

Does it make you wonder what others are tasting that you aren't?

Yes, and yes. We won't get into where.

Yes, and yes.  We won't get into where.

Same here. For me part of it with one particular place is that the things they seem to do best involve foods I'm not a huge fan of. I've been several times each time thinking this time I'll see what the fuss is all about. I've come to the realization that no matter the raves, it isn't the place for me.

Does it make you wonder what others are tasting that you aren't?  Or does it make you questions your own judgements or pre-concieved notions or attitude about a place?

Well, jeez, as long as I've been drinking and nobody else has the huevos to name names, I ate one dinner at Cordoury of which all I can remember is that the pork belly was divine and the chicken was so over-brined that we didn't care to finish it. The appetizers were forgettable and we were so bummed by the chicken we passed on dessert. And since then, the bar-area connections with spring rolls, pizza and (to a lesser extent) scallops have been less than impressive.

I love the service; I assume I'm on a different wavelength from the rest of the world. But I wonder sometimes what the damn fuss is about.

I had that happen not too long ago. After eating at a place that DR members raved about, I left the restaurant trying to figure out what the big deal was...food, service, atmosphere just seemed "so what" to me. I think sometimes the dynamic just isn't there and nothing will create it for you.

C'mon... out with it.  Name names.

Oh yeah, and have a bunch of offended Rockwellians jump all over my shit and tell me it must have been a bad night, or I'm an inexperience diner, or I don't have the knowledge to appreciate Chef Whatever's genius, or it's because I'm not a regular, or the dish is supposed the be that way and I am too ignorant to comprehend Chef Whatever's "vision"...

I'll get right on it. :)

Oh yeah, and have a bunch of offended Rockwellians jump all over my shit and tell me it must have been a bad night, or I'm an inexperience diner, or I don't have the knowledge to appreciate Chef Whatever's genius, or it's because I'm not a regular, or the dish is supposed the be that way and I am too ignorant to comprehend Chef Whatever's "vision"...

I'll get right on it.  :)

Wimp.

I've always thought the Palena Cafe -- though I like it very much -- was overrated.

I've already previously expressed both my displeasure and my praises about this place at the time of my first two meals there. My third time was OK, but it didn't inspire me to any poetry either so I didn't post about that one. I actually admire what they are trying to pull off and they obviously are.

Just not for me. Where other see creative cooking done right every time, I see some real winners and some big misses, especially with a heavy hand on the salt. Where some see an intimate elegant place I see tables too close together. Where some see great service I see people trying hard - maybe a little too hard, coming off a little stilted.

Re-naming names at this point, months after my last meal there, would be unnecessary and a bit mean spirited.

Really - It's me, not you.

I've already previously expressed both my displeasure and my praises about this place at the time of my first two meals there.  My third time was OK, but it didn't inspire me to any poetry either so I didn't post about that one.  I actually admire what they are trying to pull off and they obviously are. 

Just not for me.  Where other see creative cooking done right every time, I see some real winners and some big misses, especially with a heavy hand on the salt.  Where some see an intimate elegant place I see tables too close together.  Where some see great service I see people trying hard - maybe a little too hard, coming off a little stilted.

Re-naming names at this point, months after my last meal there, would be unnecessary and a bit mean spirited.

Really - It's me, not you.

You started this! Dish, bro!

You guys are more chicken than brine.

C'mon... out with it.  Name names.

Sure - isn't anything I haven't said before. Komi. I'm too picky an eater to do the tasting menu which garners the raves. Ordering off the menu several times has yielded good meals but not nearly the experience everyone describes.

Sure - isn't anything I haven't said before.  Komi.  I'm too picky an eater to do the tasting menu which garners the raves.  Ordering off the menu several times has yielded good meals but not nearly the experience everyone describes.

Well, obviously my criticism is warranted, but you're just crazy. :)

Sure - isn't anything I haven't said before.  Komi.  I'm too picky an eater to do the tasting menu which garners the raves.  Ordering off the menu several times has yielded good meals but not nearly the experience everyone describes.

Not having eaten at Komi (ducking the rotten tomatoes thrown by Michael Landrum), I will also add that I don't really like tasting menus. It's probably the best way to sample a large part of the menu and decide what you like the best for the next time you go there. However, it is usually too much food, takes too long, and is more anxiety-producing than I care for in going out to eat. Plus, to get the full experience, the wine pairings are a must--but that involves too much vino. Further, most of the best places change their menus on an on-going basis and may not have your favorite stuff (like the braised lamb at Firefly :) ).

Face it: we all have different tastes and likes/dislikes. For example, I just don't care much for scallops; so, no matter how brilliantly they are prepared, I'm likely not to be thrilled. And, as someone else said first, no restaurant can bat 1.000 every day (anybody remember the squash tart for dessert at Corduroy?). I go to these places to eat things that I can't make as good--or at all--at home. It's when I go to a "fine dining" restaurant and am served something that I do better, THAT'S when I really am disappointed.

Not having eaten at Komi (ducking the rotten tomatoes thrown by Michael Landrum), I will also add that I don't really like tasting menus.  It's probably the best way to sample a large part of the menu and decide what you like the best for the next time you go there.  However, it is usually too much food, takes too long, and is more anxiety-producing than I care for in going out to eat.  Plus, to get the full experience, the wine pairings are a must--but that involves too much vino.  Further, most of the best places change their menus on an on-going basis and may not have your favorite stuff (like the braised lamb at Firefly  :) ).

While it may be a large amount of food for you, but the Komi tasting menu is a bit different than most. After the assortment of starters you get to choose the pasta that you want from about 4-5 choices, and then you select a main from about 5-6 choices, and then a dessert, again from about 4 choices.

I have had it a couple of times without the wine pairing and it does not diminish the quality of the meal.

Of course you can always dine there on another night besides Friday or Saturday when you just order off of the menu. You really should go.

While it may be a large amount of food for you, but the Komi tasting menu is a bit different than most.  After the assortment of starters you get to choose the pasta that you want from about 4-5 choices, and then you select a main from about 5-6 choices, and then a dessert, again from about 4 choices.

I have had it a couple of times without the wine pairing and it does not diminish the quality of the meal.

Of course you can always dine there on another night besides Friday or Saturday when you just order off of the menu.  You really should go.

I'll bear this in mind. We have a significant anniversary coming up and I just assumed we would take advantage of the $20 Bistro dinner offered at Ray's. On the other hand, Mrs. B. celebrated her recent birthday at Komi and described it as the perfect evening. So, what to do?

So what did everyone think of yesterday's chat. The whining seems to have toned down a little, although the person complaining about paying $73 for two appetizers, one glass of wine, and one coffee at Mendocino might want to look at his menu more carefully and note the effing prices, and remember that tax in DC is 10%.

Not one, but two palette/palate violations in yesterday's chat.

i looked up some information on lima, and the state department still advises you not to go there despite tom warming up to it as a place to take first dates.

How do you get two people, much less a whole lot of people, in a small bean?

So what did everyone think of yesterday's chat.  The whining seems to have toned down a little, although the person complaining about paying $73 for two appetizers, one glass of wine, and one coffee at Mendocino might want to look at his menu more carefully and note the effing prices, and remember that tax in DC is 10%.

Or double check the bill.

The most expensive appetizer on the menu is $14. Two of those is $28. The most expensive wine by the glass is $15. So now we're at $43. Since the poster said it was $73 before tip that means that tax is about $7.

By my calculations, that leaves $23 for that cup of coffee.

Or double check the bill. 

The most expensive appetizer on the menu is $14.  Two of those is $28.  The most expensive wine by the glass is $15.  So now we're at $43.  Since the poster said it was $73 before tip that means that tax is about $7. 

By my calculations, that leaves $23 for that cup of coffee.

I got the impression that it was two apps and a glass of wine each.

I got the impression that it was two apps and a glass of wine each.

If that's the case then if they want to get off cheaper they should see what the corkage charge is to go with their french fries and salad shaker at McDonald's. I hear the coffee's pretty good there.

I in no way want to defend unruly children, but if they are a particular irritant to you, I'd suggest avoiding Guapos between 7 and 8:30 most nights.

I think anyone who describes himself as a DINK has it coming. :)

Welcome to Restaurant Jeopardy! Here's the capsule review of the restaurant in which I'd like to dine. Tell me it's name and where it is, anywhere within 120 miles of the Washington Monument.

This is the most common misuse of an apostrophe that I find on culinary message boards.

(It's raining on his, her and its parade.)

Given the number of times I look back in horror at words I leave out when posting, lapses in subject-verb agreement or gross misspellings, though...

FYI: I had to edit one word in the original post. Took a while to notice error.

Give Rocks some credit!  Between mispellings, peasents, grammer, and lets, I'm sure it was a joke  :angry:

Larry, I'm looking at your signature line, and darnit, you are not still waiting to get your refrigerator fixed, you like having it broken, don't you? :)

[Dooooooooooods lets leave the grammer and mispellings to the peasents.  Cheers, Rocks]
er, that's PEASANTS and GRAMMAR which go along with dependant, definate and any other word that ends in "ITE" that seems to be difficult for the hoi polloi to spell...(see, misspellings, gratuitous French phrases, and cardinal sins, all in one sentence...)oh, and how can we forget complement/compliment which was misused by another DC food and restaurant review site, not once, not twice, but 5 times in one review. ARGHHHHH!!!!! it's complement (which means adds extra niceness and goodiness (sp and sic) to sentences....get a dictionary, dammit!!! [/soapbox off]...we now return you to your regularly scheduled rant, already in progress.... :)