At one level I think that vegetarians deserve what they get, but I think if a restaurant refused to make even the most trivial adjustment so that my friend could enjoy their meal, I would have called for the check and pulled the whole table out of the restauratnt. That's real chickenshit stuff, the diner's friends should have showed a little solidarity, and the restaurant should have lost their money.
Seriously! What kind of schmoes was that person dining with that they would let him/her sit there through the whole meal just eating out of the bread basket?!?

This is definitely a restaurant failure, but yeesh--act up, people.

This is weird:

Arlington, Va.: Tom! I've been meaning to tell you this one for a few weeks. How To Make A Patron Feel Mortified And Never Want To Return, by a waiter at Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown.

A dear but petite friend of mine and her boyfriend were taking her parents out for dinner. The parents were visiting from afar and my (again, petite) friend was showing them her independence by traipsing them around town for sightseeing and such. While she is short and has a tiny frame, she dresses like a young professional. At dinner the waiter brought her a kid's menu and a box of crayons. She is 20 years old.

Tom Sietsema: I just got off the phone with PP's floor manager Kevin Longstreth, who said: "We don't have kids' menus and we don't stock Crayons."

This is weird:

I thought that was very strange too. Was the poster just making it up? Why? Or do they really have kid's menus and crayons at Paradiso, and the restaurant manager was lying? Could the poster have been telling a true story but got confused about where it happened (the poster was apparently not present)? Could the poster's friend to whom this supposedly happened have made it up as some sort of self-dramatization? We shall probably never know.

This is weird:

As odd as it sounds I wonder if this is some lingering, infantile response in the whole Pizza Paradiso vs. Brickskellar secret beer lair invasion? Lots of people took sides and it got ugly and a little bit immature. If so it would just be .... well, weird, as stated above.

with your trained pallet
This has got to be MY biggest grammatical/vocabulary pet peeve - it's palate dammit!! :)

Palate, as in "The sense of taste: delicacies pleasing to the most refined palate"

...NOT "pallet" = A narrow hard bed or straw-filled mattress

A portable platform used for storing or moving cargo or freight

[end of outburst - please return to your regularly scheduled chat]

This has got to be MY biggest grammatical/vocabulary pet peeve - it's palate dammit!! :)

Palate, as in "The sense of taste: delicacies pleasing to the most refined palate"

And not 'palette' either, as in "Chef's colorful palette of spices tickled our palates".

-pedantically yours,

As odd as it sounds I wonder if this is some lingering, infantile response in the whole Pizza Paradiso vs. Brickskellar secret beer lair invasion? Lots of people took sides and it got ugly and a little bit immature. If so it would just be .... well, weird, as stated above.

I'm sorry... what? What is this secret beer lair invasion that you speak of?

I knew others must have caught that. Only slightly more annoying than WET your appetite :lol:

Thanks,

Kevin

I knew others must have caught that. Only slightly more annoying than WET your appetite :)
or using your when meaning you're or using peak when you mean pique or peek (or any combination thereof)...arghhhhh!!!!! the internet spawns illiteracy.

(this is starting to sound like Mr. Grammar Speak and Spell :lol: )

I'm sorry... what? What is this secret beer lair invasion that you speak of?
A couple weeks (months?) ago, the Brickskeller guy posted this message to the DC beer mailing list saying that he had video proof that Thor and his girlfriend broke into (or at least, accessed in an unauthorized manner) the locked fridge at the Brick where he keeps and ages his really good stuff. It became this whole ugly thing, with people calling for boycotts of Birreria and even legal action.

.....until it surfaced that what Mr. Brickskeller neglected to mention was that Thor and companion were accompanied by a Brick employee with the key to the fridge (Perhaps not permission for a tour, but acting as an agent of the establishment none-the-less. Needless to say, the person was fired). Little omission from his initial screed. Oops! :)

--Matt

Who Isn't Biased Against This Brick Blowhard Or His Comprehensively Outclassed Establishment

In today's TomChat, the gloves come off...

Yesterday, Kliman reported that Galileo would be heading to Crystal City for the year, while their downtown building undergoes renovations.

Today, Sietsema calls that "no secret" and "hardly news" --

"It's no secret that Galileo -- and the two other Italian dining rooms within Galileo -- will soon shutter, so that the building that houses them all at 1110 21st St. NW can complete major renovations. And it's hardly news that chef Roberto Donna plans to take his pots, pans and a lot of his staff to Crystal City (and a soon-to-be-vacated, 140-seat restaurant space) so that he can continue to cook for the year or so the construction downtown is expected to take.

What's news is the forthcoming restaurant's name, Bebo Trattoria, and the dishes Donna plans to offer (as soon as next month, if all goes according to schedule). The Post got a sneak peek of Bebo's menu yesterday, and the choices read like a cross between Donna's budget-priced Osteria and the more formal Galileo. The seductions include (start salivating) house-made salami with fried bread and green sauce; fried rabbit with artichokes; an Italian wedding soup; raw veal topped with celery, mushrooms, Parmesan and olive oil; spaghetti with bacon, cream and egg yolks - amusingly dubbed "spaghetti alla coronary"; and the chef's popular hot and cold panini and pizzas. For the curious, "Bebo" is Mr. Donna's nickname."

Why the snark, Tom?

I don't know why the Crystal City part was "hardly news," but the fact that the building and restaurant are closing for renovations for a year has been talked about for a while now, so it is justifiably "no secret."

I predict Tom's chat will soon move to Monday mornings, then Kliman will go the Friday before, and pretty soon they'll each just give up and do a daily blog a la Bruni.

It does seem that we learn more about what's happening with openings and closings this way, having the two big guns in town vying to out-scoop the other. But I can also see it getting out of hand, as with the whole "Palena is moving!" thing. It's not fair to the restaurant to tell people they're moving when it isn't going to take place in the near future, which seems like it could hurt their business.

In today's TomChat, the gloves come off...

Yesterday, Kliman reported that Galileo would be heading to Crystal City for the year, while their downtown building undergoes renovations.

Today, Sietsema calls that "no secret" and "hardly news" --

"It's no secret that Galileo -- and the two other Italian dining rooms within Galileo -- will soon shutter, so that the building that houses them all at 1110 21st St. NW can complete major renovations. And it's hardly news that chef Roberto Donna plans to take his pots, pans and a lot of his staff to Crystal City (and a soon-to-be-vacated, 140-seat restaurant space) so that he can continue to cook for the year or so the construction downtown is expected to take.

What's news is the forthcoming restaurant's name, Bebo Trattoria, and the dishes Donna plans to offer (as soon as next month, if all goes according to schedule). The Post got a sneak peek of Bebo's menu yesterday, and the choices read like a cross between Donna's budget-priced Osteria and the more formal Galileo. The seductions include (start salivating) house-made salami with fried bread and green sauce; fried rabbit with artichokes; an Italian wedding soup; raw veal topped with celery, mushrooms, Parmesan and olive oil; spaghetti with bacon, cream and egg yolks - amusingly dubbed "spaghetti alla coronary"; and the chef's popular hot and cold panini and pizzas. For the curious, "Bebo" is Mr. Donna's nickname."

Why the snark, Tom?

I didn't read it as snark. Just that this wasn't really "new news". I'd heard about the Galileo building being up for renovation for months. Nothing about the move to Crystal City, though.

I predict Tom's chat will soon move to Monday mornings, then Kliman will go the Friday before,
It could happen. :)
and pretty soon they'll each just give up and do a daily blog a la Bruni.
If there is a God in Heaven, he will not allow this to happen. I prefer my journalism not off-the-cuff.

I thought Tom was unusually snarky with that opening, too.

This was my favorite, somewhat incomprehensible "question" today:

Server 4 life, DC: I have been serving for quite some time now and I will have to say that I have pretty much seen it all. Between you and Phillis R. I have seen some pretty accurate reviews...BUT, if you could please take into consideration that the F.O.H. has about 3 to 4 weeks to memorize the ingredients from lunch, dinner and dessert menus as well as a wine menu. All of the stress from permits not arriving on time to failed food inspections stress out the owners down to the management. Stuff rolls down hill. The average staff needs 60 days to get this under thier belts. You will open a restaurant (soft open) with twice as many staff members to guest. Servers probably getting 2 or three tables a night, four shifts a week (not counting 2-3 days of mock service). Food critics reviews (good or bad) can drastically change the flow of business. If a critic arrives during the first month, the server is actually hitting about his/her 15th table. Most private owned stores can not afford to train for more than 2 or 3 weeks. Servers are usually working in other restaurants during this time and can not study while at work. This is by no means an excuse but a suggestion. if you think that is bad, what do you think happens when the kitchen has less time to set then that. Coolers that are not working or nor even there. Late food deliveries or (this actually happened) no certified food handler on site! I am sure that I have left quite a few things out, but, could you please give your up and coming restaurants. Le Pigalle was a dissapointment but the hostess was very polite. Those guys should know better! ATTN. READERS: Lets move on from this restaurant and look foward.

I guess this person is... upset about the Le Pigalle review, which he/she thought Tom didn't cut the restaurant enough slack for being new?

I thought Tom was unusually snarky with that opening, too.

This was my favorite, somewhat incomprehensible "question" today:

I guess this person is... upset about the Le Pigalle review, which he/she thought Tom didn't cut the restaurant enough slack for being new?

Bottom line to me is that if you open the doors and charge full price, then expect to be evaluated accordingly. Most of the things they mentioned can happen at any point in a restaurants life and they need to adapt as best they can.

Not to mention that in the case of Le Pigalle, the owners are not restaurant rookies.

I think waiting a month is an excellent compromise. New restaurants deserve a little time to work out the kinks - and the dining public is aware of this also. But you have to draw a line somewhere and start reviewing them? Two months, three months? I think knowing that Tom and other critics will be turning up after the first few weeks is an excellent motivator for the restaurant's management to get their sh#t together as fast as possible. The dining public benefits too.

And as for teh Le Pigalle review, a lot of Tom's issues weren't kinks that need to be worked out, but major problems like the decor. Blech!

From Tom's chat:

Washington, D.C.: Hi Tom,

Is it standard practice for restaurants to re-use the bread in the bread baskets that go out to the tables? In other words, if they bus a table and there are 3 pieces of bread left in the basket, they then put this bread in a new basket and take it out to a new table? I find this kind of gross, and have witnessed a local restaurant doing this. We haven't been back there since.

Tom Sietsema: I have never seen a restaurant re-use bread in the manner you detail, but it wouldn't surprise me if leftover bread made it back to diners in the form of say, croutons or bread pudding.

Do any restaurant insiders care to enlighten us on the subject?

Re-using bread (Chef): For another table, no. Dries out and made into croutons, bread crumbs, bread pudding, etc......all of the time.

Tom Sietsema: Thanks, chef!

Is it true that reusing the bread for croutons, etc. is common?

It reminds me of when we were eating dinner at a restaurant in Paris. I pulled off a piece of roll and, for some reason, I put the roll back in the basket rather than on my bread plate. When the server was clearing our table, I noticed that he took our bread basket and dumped the leftover rolls in a big bin where another server then came and filled up his bread basket. :) I felt guilty for having put the roll back in the basket, but I had no idea it was going to be reused.

Is it true that reusing the bread for croutons, etc. is common?

It reminds me of when we were eating dinner at a restaurant in Paris. I pulled off a piece of roll and, for some reason, I put the roll back in the basket rather than on my bread plate. When the server was clearing our table, I noticed that he took our bread basket and dumped the leftover rolls in a big bin where another server then came and filled up his bread basket. :) I felt guilty for having put the roll back in the basket, but I had no idea it was going to be reused.

Well, your roll wasn't really used when you returned it to the basket; it was touched. It is true that uneaten baguette slices are recycled in French bistros and cafes. Perhaps they have more experience with deprivation than Americans do and consider wastefulness a higher crime than recycling uneaten bread. In casual settings, they also do not use bread plates and they put their bread right on the table. They are not squeamish about this, but they would never consider dipping their forks into someone else's food to take a "taste." We Americans do not seem to have a problem with doing that. Which is more unhygienic: eating bread that someone has touched with a hand or eating food that has been touched by an implement that has been in another person's mouth? Recycling half a roll for a bread basket is not acceptable, but you may want to think twice the next time you order bread pudding...anywhere. And skip the Caesar Salad.

From Tom's chat today!

It's true: Eammon's/A Dublin Chipper (110 S. Pitt St., Alexandria) opened last night for what was supposed to be a friends-and-family, let's-see-how-this-all-works type of service. But some impatient online chatters apparently crashed the event -- much to the chagrin of the good-natured owners. The "real" opening is 5 p.m. tonight.

:)

"Tom S.: It's true: Eammon's/A Dublin Chipper (110 S. Pitt St., Alexandria) opened last night for what was supposed to be a friends-and-family, let's-see-how-this-all-works type of service. But some impatient online chatters apparently crashed the event -- much to the chagrin of the good-natured owners. The "real" opening is 5 p.m. tonight."

This is wrong on so many levels: the opening was Monday, not Tuesday, and I can't think how anyone could've crashed this event when several people called and were told Monday was opening night. Whether or not that person answering the phones should've said this is another story, but this is an unfair slight against the people of DR.com, who are much more well-behaved than to crash a party that they're not invited to.

I have to say I was wondering how you all knew to show up there, however. The thread about the joint talks about the place opening soon and then all of a sudden there is a DR. com event happening there wth a bunch of you all reporting on how great it was.

I mean I am glad you all went and reported back the greatness of the joint, but it did seem a little strange. Did you all get invited because you all spend tons of scratch at Eve? I have no problem with that or anything, mind you. Good for you to be rewarded for being such good customers.

Yeah I was quite put off to read this too. I've steady been calling Eamonn's -- keeping myself to a call there once every two weeks or so since early July trying to find out if they are open. If they aren't open to the public then don't open to the public. I've usually found restaurant industry folks to be friendly and welcoming -- and I think you're absolutely correct that the folks that lurk around on this forum are probably the kind of patrons a restaurant would want. Ugh. So will I be welcomed tonight without knowledge of the secret handshake?

"Tom S.: It's true: Eammon's/A Dublin Chipper (110 S. Pitt St., Alexandria) opened last night for what was supposed to be a friends-and-family, let's-see-how-this-all-works type of service. But some impatient online chatters apparently crashed the event -- much to the chagrin of the good-natured owners. The "real" opening is 5 p.m. tonight."

This is wrong on so many levels: the opening was Monday, not Tuesday, and I can't think how anyone could've crashed this event when several people called and were told Monday was opening night. Whether or not that person answering the phones should've said this is another story, but this is an unfair slight against the people of DR.com, who are much more well-behaved than to crash a party that they're not invited to.

It's really not that serious. However, it appears that the owners told him the opening is tonight.

I have to say I was wondering how you all knew to show up there, however. The thread about the joint talks about the place opening soon and then all of a sudden there is a DR. com event happening there wth a bunch of you all reporting on how great it was.

I mean I am glad you all went and reported back the greatness of the joint, but it did seem a little strange. Did you all get invited because you all spend tons of scratch at Eve? I have no problem with that or anything, mind you. Good for you to be rewarded for being such good customers.

Just have to read the board, click.

You're very off base here.

Actually I think Woodleygrrl just made an honest observation.

Though, to the defense of people who attended many spend much of their out to dinner time at Eve so I'd want them at a soft opening for sure!

Back to the fried snickers... there is a place in Nashville near the Pancake Shop that used to have a fried snicker on the menu but they served it like an eggroll. It was delicious.

There was no invite, and the only scratch I've spent at Eve has been during a grand total of 2 lickity split lunches. I read about Eamonn's being open from a post here, went to Old Town last night, saw people eating inside, went in, was welcomed, ordered, ate, and enjoyed. Had they said they were closed to the public, I would have gladly left. I had a nice talk with Cathal about the space and the previous tenant. It was all very cordial, and I will definately be back.

Actually I think Woodleygrrl just made an honest observation. Especially considering the involvement of people who jump all over people taking advantage (real or perceived) of affiliation with DR.com it does look odd/suspicious.
Odd? Suspicious? The opening was not a "dr.com event" at all. The opening was a soft opening originally intended for friends and family. How the restaurant owners and employees chose to define that is their business, although I seriously doubt it has to do with "spending tons of scratch" at Restaurant Eve, and it doesn't seem like it was a closely-guarded secret.

Nobody "crashed" the doors on Monday - the doors were open and people just walked in and were welcomed. Including tourists walking in off the street who had no idea it had just opened! The fact that there were many people there who happen to also post on dr.com is a testament to their close attention to the board, their acquaintance with the restaurant owners and staff, and the informal cameraderie that has evolved over time between like-minded souls who enjoy each other's company and good food.

Odd? Suspicious? The opening was not a "dr.com event" at all. The opening was a soft opening originally intended for friends and family. How the restaurant owners and employees chose to define that is their business, although I seriously doubt it has to do with "spending tons of scratch" at Restaurant Eve, and it doesn't seem like it was a closely-guarded secret.

Nobody "crashed" the doors on Monday - the doors were open and people just walked in and were welcomed. Including tourists walking in off the street who had no idea it had just opened! The fact that there were many people there who happen to also post on dr.com is a testament to their close attention to the board, their acquaintance with the restaurant owners and staff, and the informal cameraderie that has evolved over time between like-minded souls who enjoy each other's company and good food.

Notice that I didn't say it was wrong, but apparently it did look odd... why else would TS have mentioned it on his chat? To me it seems like one big misunderstanding... that is all. Really I don't this is a big deal or something to cause "chatter" if anything having people like members of DR.com come to your restaurant is a good thing if you want to spread the word. I would have never heard about Corduroy or Thai Squared without this board... probably lots of other places too...

This is wrong on so many levels

I don't think Tom would misreport this. That said, I don't see this as any big deal at all. If it was, in fact, supposed to be for family and friends, it speaks volumes about the owners handling extra guests so seamlessly.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Given that Eve's bar staff were telling all and sundry on Friday that Eamonn's would be open on Monday, it doesn't sound like it was even limited to "friends and family," unless that particular set includes "all random bar patrons."

Actually I think Woodleygrrl just made an honest observation.

Though, to the defense of people who attended many spend much of their out to dinner time at Eve so I'd want them at a soft opening for sure!

Anybody who reads this board would have known about it if they simply read the Eamonn's thread. If DR members, passersby, or anyone else who walked through that door on Monday evening was not supposed to be there, there was not a peep made from any employee at Eamonn's about it. Everyone seemed to be welcomed with open arms and gracious service. Dining at Eve had nothing to do with it. But thank you for your spirited defense of those of us who attended.

I do not know any DR posters personally. I heard about the opening on the board and was there on Monday, but I am no tourist, thank you very much. *hmph* :)

I couldn't agree more. If they were swamped with people they weren't expecting, they handled it with absolute charm and cool. VERY impressive.

Absolutely. And if those of us who heard it was open and showed up to try weren't supposed to have done so, we're sorry to have 'crashed' and most grateful for the gracious welcoming and tasty fish.

Given that Eve's bar staff were telling all and sundry on Friday that Eamonn's would be open on Monday, it doesn't sound like it was even limited to "friends and family," unless that particular set includes "all random bar patrons."

Yes, they told me over the phone and in person at the bar on Friday. Soft, friend and family or DR.com world exclusive were not mentioned with this information.

When I posted that it would be opening on Monday at 5 I received several PMs indicating that other folks thought it was a restricted opening so on the chance that the staff were mistakenly telling people I took the info out of my post.....but I still showed up on Monday and I didn't see anyone on staff there the slightest bit irritated that Rockweillers were there

another chat excerpt....

Washington, D.C.: Tom--Do you even know what you're talking about? When I called the Eamonn's, they said they opened for business on Monday. Also, it's on King, not Pitt.

Tom Sietsema: Oops! I gave the address for Restaurant Eve. My apologies. Eammon's is indeed on King Street. And two owners of the newcomer told me TODAY was the official launch date. (Sounds like you were one of the naughty crashers ...)

another chat excerpt....

Washington, D.C.: Tom--Do you even know what you're talking about? When I called the Eamonn's, they said they opened for business on Monday. Also, it's on King, not Pitt.

Tom Sietsema: Oops! I gave the address for Restaurant Eve. My apologies. Eammon's is indeed on King Street. And two owners of the newcomer told me TODAY was the official launch date. (Sounds like you were one of the naughty crashers ...)

This is quite irritating. Sounds like TS is trolling. Best thing to do with trolls is ignore them so they'll go away.

I don't think Tom would misreport this. That said, I don't see this as any big deal at all. If it was, in fact, supposed to be for family and friends, it speaks volumes about the owners handling extra guests so seamlessly.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I don't think Tom would misreport this, either. I think the "two owners" who told him that their party was crashed did. Perhaps they were unaware that staff at both Eamonn's and Eve were telling people both in person and on the phone that Monday was their opening, but don't sully our reputation because of it.

I just wouldn't want the good people of Eve and Eamonn's to think that we were crashing their party, because we didn't.

Like I said: It just seemed strange to me after reading all of the posts about this place that all of a sudden there was a bunch of people from the board there. And then there is a report on the Tom chat today about crashers and I said to myself, "self, that seems strange."

I must stress again that I am gladyou went to report on the place. A place that I will go to soon based on your recs.

Like I said: It just seemed strange to me after reading all of the posts about this place that all of a sudden there was a bunch of people from the board there. And then there is a report on the Tom chat today about crashers and I said to myself, "self, that seems strange."

I must stress again that I am gladyou went to report on the place. A place that I will go to soon based on your recs.

If you had been reading the board as mentioned, then you would have known Eamonn's would be open on Monday at 5pm. Anyone who saw post #54 on the Eamonn's thread would know it was opening. People who were dining at Eve were informed by staff of the pending opening. Anyone telephoning recently (and not in July) would know of the opening. So nothing "strange" "odd" or "suspicious" about it. No conspiracy here folks. And for the record, Sietsema got a lot wrong in many ways, including the 'party-crashing'. The 'chagrin of the owners' he mentions is likely due to Eamonn's happily welcoming more patrons than expected since they themselves did not advertise. It was all word-of-mouth, people walking in off the street on a MONDAY night (not typically a busy pedestrian-traffic night) or via this "blog" (just kidding Rocks!)

-Camille