Super Bowl 2012

Choirgirl21

There's a wing cook-off happening at the party I'm attending, but I couldn't find any recipes that really inspire me. How good can a chicken wing be anyway (someone feel free to prove me wrong)? Thinking I'd like to make something else, but I'm totally uninspired. I did have one idea, but it would have required deep frying and I'd like to avoid that with the number of people who will be in the kitchen, the amount of alcohol likely to be consumed, etc. :)

So what's everyone making?

P.S. Go Stillers! :)

There's a wing cook-off happening at the party I'm attending, but I couldn't find any recipes that really inspire me. How good can a chicken wing be anyway (someone feel free to prove me wrong)? Thinking I'd like to make something else, but I'm totally uninspired. I did have one idea, but it would have required deep frying and I'd like to avoid that with the number of people who will be in the kitchen, the amount of alcohol likely to be consumed, etc. :)

So what's everyone making?

P.S. Go Stillers! :)

Chicken wings can be great! If the wings don't inspire you, how about making Asian chicken "lollipops"?

go Stillers!

It's settled. I'm making blue cheese coleslaw (Ina Garten's recipe) to go with the various wings and then I'm making team-themed potato skins - beer cheese sauce, brats, and mustard for the Packers and sauteed onions, kraut, kielbasa, and swiss cheese for the winners Steelers. The latter idea was taken from the Food Network site. I rarely remember to go there, but I love the idea.

My party already has the staples covered (Ro-Tel, 7 layer dip, guac) so I figured my contribution could throw a curveball. I made mini empanadas last night (little Empanadas are basically latin pizza rolls, right?) and will either bake or shallow fry them later this afternoon. Filling was ground turkey, shallots, garlic, black olives, jalapeno, green onion, tumeric, salt & pepper, and a healthy splash of leftover vindaloo from Friday's trip to Masala Art.

Its that time of year again and I'm trying to be creative but the motivation just isn't there.

I'm not doing it due to my audiences and logistics and such, but cruising through the archives I saw that in 2008 when it was the same match-up some people did Manhattan vs. New England clam chowders. I'm also contemplating having the five cocktails of New York (each borough) but that would be unfair to everyone who has to drive.

I was thrilled this afternoon when my son asked if he could host a Superbowl party, just an excuse for me to load up the Weber Smoky Mt.- ribs, pulled pork, & brisket were requested, & whatever else I want to cook-definitely bean dip & guacamole. I was almost this excited when my daughter asked the other day who was playing in the Superbowl, & I answered correctly...

Host of the party I go to is avoiding any team related themes and making bo ssam. So the theme is...KOREAN! Perfect for a super bowl. :lol: I'm making deep fried eggs with siracha remoulade. Amused that when I looked back at my previous post, I specifically said I was avoiding deep frying due to potential party mayhem. Guess I better make them early on. B)

We're wrappin' :)

Buffalo chicken egg rolls-- got a chicken on clearance from Safeway and roasted it up yesterday. Then, shredded and added buffalo wing sauce and teeny, tiny chopped celery. Topped with cream cheese and blue cheese.

Thank you Tony Chittum (Buffalo Titans ;) )

Rueben phyllos-- Red Apron pastrami, sauerkraut, gruyere* and thousand island dressing.

*Finally got to Fromagerie, ty goldenticket.

Rueben phyllos-- Red Apron pastrami, sauerkraut, gruyere* and thousand island dressing.

Ha! You're doing phyllo too :) . That sounds really good. I'm wrapping little Wellshire cocktail weenies in phyllo.

Also crab spread on crackers and brisket chili plus beans on the side. I was going to make cornbread but I think I'll skip it, with both crackers and phyllo on the menu.

Ha! You're doing phyllo too :) . That sounds really good. I'm wrapping little Wellshire cocktail weenies in phyllo.

Also crab spread on crackers and brisket chili plus beans on the side. I was going to make cornbread but I think I'll skip it, with both crackers and phyllo on the menu.

The reuben phyllos were the ticket! The buffalo egg rolls were... ok.

Boy, was I bitching when my son dragged me out to shop for his spur of the moment SB party, commissary was a ZOO, I grabbed the last butt, a tiny brisket, & they were all out of ribs-fortunately, we swung by Bestway on the way home, & picked up 4 racks of spares, already trimmed. We have enough soda & chips to sedate an army, making slaw, bean dip, cheese dip, mac n cheese, ABTs-heavy menu, but it's for teens. If we run low, I'll run out for some wings...Lizzy & I will lay low upstairs w/ the puppies, & try to give them a little privacy (while still supervising)...

Not a fan of football, especially the SB as all you seem to see if commercials and pregame. Anyway, in the spirit of being social, I am going to a party. Did not want to make anything to I just ran to DC Bahn Mi and got a mess of Bahn Mi. They even cut it up small so I could have little bite size bahn mi. So I am prbing a huge plate of Bahn Mi's. I hope they like them. It is a pretty suburban crowd.

Soup

I ended up with a simple beer and cheese dip (used Mexican Velveeta instead and the Flying Dog amber), gargonzola stuffed dates wrapped in prosciutto, and chorizo poached in red wine...all ended up working out fabulously, got a ton of compliments since they thought a 24 yr old dude couldn't put together those types of dishes and ended up with a ton of leftovers. I'll be eating great/terribly all week now, especially since I pre-made buffalo chicken dip and that never even made it out of the fridge.

I discovered this morning that we were completely out of sugar. And, I needed to get a bag of tortilla chips for the guacamole I was making for the SB party in my building. So, thought I would run down the AM Harris Teeter. What a mistake! When I saw that there wasn't a spare cart in site, I shoulda just gone to the local MetroMart. It was exactly like the day before the huge snow storm last year. An absolute ZOO. Still, I was able to use the bags I brought to carry the goods to the cash register, after standing in a very long line. All that for under $10 worth of goods. Who ARE these people????

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner. We agreed to represent the NY side for the party we attended. Started with an idea around franks and beans but then migrated to italian sausage, onion & pepper sandwiches.

Slow cooked for several hours in a huge pot, we used a few different colors of sliced bells and cubanelles, a bunch of sliced sweet onions, three different kinds of sausage (smoked andouille, polish kielbasa and bratwurst), diced tomatoes, fresh basil, marsala wine, chopped garlic, oregano and s&p. Then bought the big "artisan ciabattas" at WF, split 'em open and slathered with softened butter, garlic and olive oil before browning under the broiler so everyone could make their own sandwiches or just enjoy the dish in a bowl if gluten free.

These were a big hit. Especially with the home brewed beer our host had made.

Made some green dip and these wings (never made wings before - how do you get baked-on sauce to come off your pans? Are they ruined? If so, almost worth it), as well as chili and what we call a "good things salad" (black beans, corn, red pepper, tomatoes, avacados, and chicken tossed in a cumin-lime vinaigrette). Tons of leftovers, so no cooking for the rest of the week! Though I imagine we're going to be sick of chips soon.

I was planning to go to a movie while J watched the stuporbowl, and I'd bought him a tub of fried chicken wings at Safeway so that he could be in sync with all of the real Americans out there. Turns out we hosted a rather impromptu viewing party with my BIL, his two daughters and one daughter's fiance. Since BIL and the girls are vegetarians, I used what I had on hand to make a pot of fresh pea soup (with sugar snaps from Costco). I usually make it with chicken stock, but I made a flavorful veg base with leeks, onions, fennel, celery, parsnip, rutabaga, ginger root, lemon peel and aromatic herbs, a little white wine and water. That cooked for 45 minutes before I added the peas. I pureed it in batches, adding some frozen peas for flavor and color and sieved. Then added cream, and a little Meyer lemon juice. Served the soup with some cheeses (Cabot cave-aged cheddar, camembert, and P'tit Basque) and rosemary bread from Bonaparte. Beer, guacamole and chips, popcorn and salted peanuts. And flourless chocolate cake with whipped cream and raspberries for dessert. J. often complains that the refrig and pantry are too full, but I was able to pull off a meal that made everyone very happy without having to run to the store.