Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night:

Soft pork tacos from leftover grilled chops, with red onions, potatoes, radishes, tomatoes, cilantro, and guacamole; sour cream

Succotash from fresh limas and leftover fresh corn on the cob
Espresso bundt cake - "cherry" whipped cream trifle [the last of a delicious cake, layered, with almond extract in the cream and Luxardo cherries]

"Best meal you've made in a long time, Zora"

My version of Chicken with Clementines and Arak from Ottolenghi's _Jerusalem_ I didn't have clementines or Arak, so used oranges and Pernod; added cippolini onions to the fresh fennel,and salted Meyer lemon to the orange slices, threw in a few slices of baby ginger, subbed Iraqi date syrup for the brown sugar.

sauteed Next Step molokhia ("Egyptian spinach")with onion and ginger

basmati rice

ricotta nectarine cake (from food52)

2012 Rive Gauche chinon rosé

• Like 1

linguine with orange sauce and Parmesan, enjoyed sans mosquitoes on newly screened-in front porch

orange sauce = all the tomatoes that needed to be used before going bad (red plum and a globular yellow type), cooked down and passed through a food mill into a pot with minced carrot and celery simmering in olive oil, a big clove of garlic, salt, aleppo pepper, then simmered until really thick (Mr P was late, I got distracted).  This was so much better tasting than it had any right to be.

edited to add: chopped fresh basil and oregano, too

^  That sounds really good.  I've been chucking extra tomatoes directly into the freezer, and now have a whole basket full to use.

Roasted eggplant, chickpea, red pepper, sun-dried tomato salad in a lemon and basil dressing.  Feta was added at the end, so I guess we are past Mr. lperry's vegan phase.

Mini pizzas on striata baguette halves (leftover grilled chicken sausage and zucchini, Monterey Jack cheese, and tomatoes)

"Meal in a dish for Sunday supper" -- 1980s-era NYT recipe that I had, indeed, planned to make on Sunday.  It turned out I had used the needed mushrooms in the frittata I made Friday, so this got pushed back a night.

I used to love this years ago, but it was less enthralling this time around and took longer to make than I remembered.  Main components are ground turkey, onions, red bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, raisins, cured black olives, and bulgur.  It's got a slight Middle Eastern feel to the spicing (cumin and hot pepper flakes), and I thought about adding some fresh harissa I have in the refrigerator.  I think I'll do that next time and kick up the seasoning a bit.  I usually serve this with just bread or salad, but I had leftovers I thought would turn into good pizza, so it was enhanced bread <_< .

linguine with orange sauce and Parmesan, enjoyed sans mosquitoes on newly screened-in front porch

orange sauce = all the tomatoes that needed to be used before going bad (red plum and a globular yellow type), cooked down and passed through a food mill into a pot with minced carrot and celery simmering in olive oil, a big clove of garlic, salt, aleppo pepper, then simmered until really thick (Mr P was late, I got distracted).  This was so much better tasting than it had any right to be.

edited to add: chopped fresh basil and oregano, too

Lately, I have been making tomato sauce using a technique I learned from watching Lidia Bastianich on tv, which involves throwing an onion, carrot and celery into a food processor and blitzing the mixture to a very fine grind. This mash is then sauteed in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes are added, and then tomatoes. It's a real time saver, and the sauce cooks down beautifully.
  • Like 1

I use the FP to fine chop vegetables when making stuffed cabbage and meatloaf, for eg. It really does save time because all I do is rough chop and the FP does the rest. I saute the veg in evoo or butter and then add to the meat.

I really like the result.

I think it's a great technique to sneak vegetables into food for kids.

Lately, I have been making tomato sauce using a technique I learned from watching Lidia Bastianich on tv, which involves throwing an onion, carrot and celery into a food processor and blitzing the mixture to a very fine grind. This mash is then sauteed in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes are added, and then tomatoes. It's a real time saver, and the sauce cooks down beautifully.

At my best I am an amateur cook. That is technique I learned years ago. It is an extraordinary way to enrich sauces or meals like meatloaf as mentioned above.

Tonight is a quick chicken and chorizo paella I found on a blog that comes originally from Bon Appetit.  Often I look to see what the original recipe was, but I didn't this time.  I had saffron in the freezer and found chorizo imported from Spain at Canales in Eastern Market.  It was about $2 cheaper than when I've ordered the same chorizo online.  Everything looks and smells good, but we haven't eaten yet.

Are hatch chilies around now? Where did you get them, if fresh?

Yes, I hit fresh hatch chile season at it's brief peak here in Dallas!  Central Market was roasting them in front of the store, so I picked up a package via their produce section.  Been getting a lot of mileage via marinades, dressings, sauces, and other inspirations.  No oven here, so cannot stuff and bake.  I did bring my pressure cooker, and a stew would be an excellent option, but it's still over 95 degrees here every day so I can't bring myself to do it.

At my best I am an amateur cook. That is technique I learned years ago. It is an extraordinary way to enrich sauces or meals like meatloaf as mentioned above.

With food prep, there is always something to learn. We're all amateurs here, if you look at the true meaning of the word, derived from the Latin verb amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant: love. I hope that you will share other useful techniques you've learned over the years, and not assume everyone else already knows them.
  • Like 3

With food prep, there is always something to learn. We're all amateurs here, if you look at the true meaning of the word, derived from the Latin verb amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant: love. I hope that you will share other useful techniques you've learned over the years, and not assume everyone else already knows them.

heh.  Could have been something native to the NY area and Italian cooking/especially sauce.   I probably picked that up decades ago...the idea of using a food processor to smush up a variety of healthy vegetables and add them into red sauces.   Saute them or add other ingredients prior to adding to a long simmering sauce. or meatloaf is a perfect other example. It really enriches the sauce/food, let alone adding veggies for the kiddies et al.

Really not sure or where I picked that up other than I got that tip from more than one source years ago.  I suppose I thought it was a widespread tip.

It does do a great job, doesn't it, Zora?

Dinner dicatated by the garden.  Yellow crookneck squash, quickly braised with butter, salt, and pepper.  Sweet corn, black bean, sweet onion, and red pepper relish? Salad?  Sprinkled with feta and a squeeze of lime.  Excellent corn from C&T Produce at 4MR Market.  $4 a dozen for Frosty, with bicolor promised this weekend. 

This sounds absolutely delicicious-where do you get the skate?

BlackSalt. There was none on display in the case, but I asked, and they had a few pieces in the walk-in.

tonight:

eco-friendly spicy Italian sausage, roasted red and poblano peppers and onions mixed with some fresh tomato sauce served on Bonaparte multi-grain mini baguettes with basil and reggiano

Twin Springs white peach with vanilla ice cream

2008 I Sassi aglianico del vulture

And a great way to get extra veg into a dish. BL1st grader will not eat a carrot but will watch me whizz a pound , along with onions and summer squash, into whatever ground beef thing we are having that week and eat his body weight. I don't question. I just food process.

Mixed Dal (moong, masoor, urad with ghee, cumin seeds. ginger, garlic, onion, chillies and tomatoes), braised okra with tomatoes (peanut oil, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, dried chillies, coriander seeds and greens, turmeric), cucumber, tomato and onion with lime juice and salt. Pickles and lots of brown jasmine rice. Delicious, but so "unhealthy", these traditional diets with all those grains and little or no meat. Here's the requisite photo:

9785290881_eb53b91a6c.jpg

• Like 1

Not dinner, but I had lunch w/ a friend (we've known each other 30 years, I'm still amazed we ended up in the same place) down in Dale City yesterday at Al Zaytoun, & it was pretty much carb based- we got there before they opened at 11am, decided to get the lunch buffet, & when we came in, the owner offered us rice (brown & white) & salad, & all of the veggies on the buffet- chickpeas, spinach, potatoes, cabbage & carrots, 2 meats (I didn't ask what they were), but I think it was lamb & it was very good. He told us he was putting tandoori chicken on (15 min) & before the chicken, we got freshly cooked naan. We had delicious mint lemonade, & the proprietors are so nice, we sat there for 2 hours, talking & catching up-If any of you are down in this area, I highly recommend Al Zaytoun-I've had several great lunches here.

Mixed Dal (moong, masoor, urad with ghee, cumin seeds. ginger, garlic, onion, chillies and tomatoes), 

I have a friend in Melbourne (our antipode, btw) who does this same dish, but finishes it on the grill of all places.

He calls it Barbie Dal.

I made you laugh.

Also made you Google.

Roasted eggplant, chickpeas, and sun-dried tomatoes in a lemon, rosemary-infused olive oil dressing, sprinkled with feta, and served over mizuna and what I thought was butter lettuce, but turned out to be a somewhat pungent endive of some sort.  This has been the year of the nightshade with tomatoes and eggplants aplenty.

eggplant "parmesan-ish" slices salted then dipped in egg batter and fried in olive oil, layered in a casserole with fresh tomato marinara and ricotta and topped with grated pecorino, baked.

baby lettuce, cuke and tomato with lime vinaigrette

yellow freestone peach with vanilla ice cream

2008 G del R mencia

Roasted poblanos stuffed with creamed fresh corn, shredded monterey jack cheese and Rio Zape beans

Soft corn tacos with sliced leftover grilled filet mignon, chopped red scallions, shredded monterey jack and orange cheddar cheeses, shredded iceberg lettuce, Rio Zape beans and tomatoes

I picked up two ears of big-kerneled late summer corn at the New Morning Farm Watkins Market on Wednesday afternoon and a couple of poblanos (among other things) and decided that poblanos stuffed with creamed corn sounded like a good accompaniment for tacos.  I made the creamed corn with a basic white sauce, enhanced with a little cream cheese and some chopped red scallions (Fresh Tuesdays market at Eastern Market).  The iceberg lettuce was an impulse purchase at Safeway, since I haven't had it in a long time, and it adds a good crunch to tacos.  The corn tortillas were the last of a pack from Canales at Eastern Market.   The Rio Zapes were the remainder of an open package I've had from Rancho Gordo for I don't know how long.  They work great in this kind of application.  They took longer than usual to cook (about 10 hours on low in the crock pot) because they were so old, but they softened up in the end.

My husband couldn't stop raving about this meal.  It was pretty good, if I do say so myself.  I've got to make my own creamed corn more often.

to make good creamed corn, with fresh sweet corn, you don't even need to make a bechamel. I have a tool that scrapes and shreds corn right off the cob, but if you cut off the kernels and puree them in a food processor or blender, you get the same result. Be sure to get all of the corn "milk" out of the cob, by running the back of the knife down the cob after cutting off the kernels. Then cook the puree on low heat. Add a little bit of butter, or a splash of cream if you must, but I often find those embellishments unnecessary. The combination of liquid and starch released by the pulverized corn kernels creates the "cream."

First dinner party in my new kitchen. Tomato, basil, and mozzarella with truffle oil, chicken piccatta, and roasted cauliflower. Simple but a success as I get used to my tiny new stove and oven. Lingnonberry vodka spritzers to drink.  For dessert we walked down to campus to make s'mores. 

à¹à¸žà¸™à¸‡à¹„à¸à¹ˆ panang gai (panang curry with chicken), ไà¸à¹ˆà¸œà¸±à¸”ใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸² gai pad bai grapao (chicken stir fried with holy basil), ยำมะม่วง yum mamuang (green mango salad), ไข่เจียว kai jiew (omlette), à¹à¸„บไà¸à¹ˆ (fried chicken skin), ผัภ(vegetables), jasmine rice.

9874832794_5777447ac9.jpg

• Like 1

9885778216_3a7c1d5aa9_z.jpg

Peruvian pork roast* with chipotle maple whipped yams and rapini.

* I used CI's peruvian chicken rub/paste for this pork in the same manner as the chicken, which calls for rubbing the chicken with the paste (under the skin, for the chicken) and allowing it to penetrate for a few hours or overnight in a plastic baggie. The pork was incredibly flavorful and moist.

• Like 1