Jimmy's on K Street - A Collaboration Between Jimmy's Harborside and McCormick and Schmick's on 17th and K Street Downtown - Buffetted.

The new McComic and Schtick and Jimmy’s Harborside collaboration - downeast surf and Kansas City turf concept place opens in downtown DC (at 1700 K St. along with Caribou Coffee) and nary a peep from JG – can that possibly be? Their website says they are using “Old K.C. Branded Kansas City Custom Dry Aged Beef ... sourced straight from our nation’s heartland.” Most of us could guess the menu without looking: lunchtime Kobe (how very KC!) beef burgers, calamari, crabcakes, turkey clubs; dinnertime strip steaks and cowboy steaks, halibut, salmon, creamed spinach, and of course, the surf and turf consisting of one 12 oz. filet and one-pound lobster tail (for a modest $79).

Who writes this stuff?

Showcasing an ambiance of class and sophistication with its chic setting and vibrant contemporary décor, Jimmy’s harkens to the era of a 1940s Supper Club infused with a modern, lively and energetic vibe. Classic black and gold tones paired with rich mahogany contribute to the warm and inviting aura of sophistication. Patrons can also relax at the bar furnished with designer wine cabinets, back lit panels and red tile coupled with black leather – all complimenting the dining experience.

crackers said:
The new McComic and Schtick and Jimmy’s Harborside collaboration - downeast surf and Kansas City turf concept place opens in downtown DC (at 1700 K St. along with Caribou Coffee) and nary a peep from JG – can that possibly be? Their website says they are using “Old K.C. Branded Kansas City Custom Dry Aged Beef ... sourced straight from our nation’s heartland.” Most of us could guess the menu without looking: lunchtime Kobe (how very KC!) beef burgers, calamari, crabcakes, turkey clubs; dinnertime strip steaks and cowboy steaks, halibut, salmon, creamed spinach, and of course, the surf and turf consisting of one 12 oz. filet and one-pound lobster tail (for a modest $79).

Who writes this stuff?

Couldn't tell ya, but who designed their sign? When I was walking across the street from there last week, and spied a new sign that I had not seen before, I squinted to read it before realizing it said "Jimmy's on K" I couldn't tell if it was a deli, or fancy restaurant from the design, either. Is this place even open?

They list a Lobster Roll on the sample lunch menu for $16.70 which seems reasonable enough for a quality lobster roll. If they serve it in the bar after work (or anytime for that matter) it would make a great mini-meal with a drink or two. I didn't see the lobster roll on the sample dinner menu.

Thanks,

Kevin

Lunch today at Jimmy's on K was quite the experience. They are soooooooo nice. Seriously, these people are nice. I have never been to the original in Boston but I get the sense that the place in Boston is all about "family." You know one of those places that has regulars through generations.

I may have had the best value sandwich of all time. The Shrimp Salad and Crab Club with homemade chips for 8.95 Wowza. It was fine. Really fine. I'd probably order it again. But I'd also like to try some of their salads as I coveted my friend's Caeser BLT. It looked good and decadent.

Did I say how nice they were? Seriously rediculously nice. Good addition to the neighborhood. Plus we were in and out with tip for $30 for two, including a homemade lemonade that looked really good.

And they are sooo nice!

NCPinDC said:
Lunch today at Jimmy's on K was quite the experience. They are soooooooo nice. Seriously, these people are nice. I have never been to the original in Boston but I get the sense that the place in Boston is all about "family." You know one of those places that has regulars through generations.

I may have had the best value sandwich of all time. The Shrimp Salad and Crab Club with homemade chips for 8.95 Wowza. It was fine. Really fine. I'd probably order it again. But I'd also like to try some of their salads as I coveted my friend's Caeser BLT. It looked good and decadent.

Did I say how nice they were? Seriously rediculously nice. Good addition to the neighborhood. Plus we were in and out with tip for $30 for two, including a homemade lemonade that looked really good.

And they are sooo nice!

Well I'll bite, what did they do that was soooo nice?

I had lunch at the bar this afternoon. A bowl of New England clam chowder and the BLT. The chowder was as it should be, not too gloppy and not too runny, just right. The BLT is amazing. A couple of healty slices of sourdough bread lighly toasted, a slice of tomato (sure to be much better later in the summer) with a sh*tload of bacon. I mean, I could only eat half of the thing (the other half is in a container on my desk staring at me). I've never seen a BLT with this much bacon. The sandwich were held together with a big toothpick piercing a hot cherry peper. On the side are bunch of house made potato chips. I think a side of lipitor for dessert would be in order.

I am not a fan. I went to lunch with a few colleagues, and it did not go well. Maybe we caught them on a bad day or maybe they just have some kinks to work out. I will not belabor the details of the debacle here, but there were problems with both service and food preparation during just about each course. The good side was that everyone at the table was in a great mood, and took all of the problems with quite a bit of humor.

It is clear that their heart is in the right place; they are really trying to do well. They comped a lot of our food because of the difficulties. But, they probably could have tried a little less hard, as their persistence compounded the problems (and, it was getting too hard to keep a straight face; eventually, we failed).

The only details I will go into here is that many, but certainly not all, of the difficulties would have been prevented if the waiter had written down our orders. There is no shame in writing down orders, especially if it is a somewhat large table (5) that is asking a lot of questions.

Dessert: post-133-1152214659_thumb.jpg

synaesthesia said:
Not that anyone will really care, but this place is closing according to a post on Chowhound. Yay! Now no one at work will force me to go eat at this crabhole.

Well here's a big surprise. No post until now since July of last year???

ETA: Perhaps a victim of the change in the lobbying rules? If so, who's next on the death list. Is the tide for the steak places receeding?

Jacques Gastreaux said:
Well here's a big surprise. No post until now since July of last year???

ETA: Perhaps a victim of the change in the lobbying rules? If so, who's next on the death list. Is the tide for the steak places receeding?

Perhaps you meant to write "over-priced steak places?" In which case, I would say no effing loss. I really can't imagine a better steak than what Michael Landrum serves up. Let us not forget the flat iron steak and fries that Tom Power gives away in the bar at Corduroy, either. :blink:

With The Palm, Morton's, Prime Rib, Capital Grille, Charlie Palmer's, Ruth's Chris, BLT Steak, Sam & Harry's, Smith and Wollensky's, Bobby Van's, and The Caucus Room it may be that the downtown hunk-o-beef market is fully um .... saturated.

Actually, Jimmy K's is going to reopen in a month or two as a new Chef driven concept restaurant with a great chef who has been here for a while...can't say anything else at this time, but should be well worth the wait

Here Dino or here DC?

Barbara said:
Perhaps you meant to write "over-priced steak places?" In which case, I would say no effing loss. I really can't imagine a better steak than what Michael Landrum serves up. Let us not forget the flat iron steak and fries that Tom Power gives away in the bar at Corduroy, either. :blink:

"Entertaining" is not always about the best food; ambience is the first requirement. With many restaurants now running several million dollars or more to open this cost must be passed along. Jacques' comment about "lobbying rules" is of paramount importance. The target audience of most "K street" restaurants and traditional steak houses is different from many on this board.

"Entertaining" is not always about the best food; ambience is the first requirement. With many restaurants now running several million dollars or more to open this cost must be passed along. Jacques' comment about "lobbying rules" is of paramount importance. The target audience of most "K street" restaurants and traditional steak houses is different from many on this board.

I think you are correct in your assessment, but I don't think many on this board are not the target audience of traditional steak houses. Because of their high price tags they tend to be on the special occasion lists, and there are those that provide equal quality steaks without the diners subsidizing incredibly huge decorating budgets.

Personally, I rather leave the ambiance first, food somewhere after that for those "lobbyist" types. Unfortunately too many places are more into the flash than the food, but we are a pretty materialistic society.