Book Club

mdt

There was talk at one time to start a DR.com book club, but things never got organized. I am going to take charge and throw out there for those that are interested a place, date, and book for the first meeting. We can try and meet every 4-6 weeks after that. Anyone interested?

Date: Thursday Feb. 8 7p

Book: Omnivore's Dilema

Place: Seats around the fireplace at Birreria Paradiso in Georgetown. I figure the first meeting will be on the smaller side.

PM or post here if you are interested in attending.

I actually just got my copy in the mail, so I might've read some of it by then, but I already know I can't make that night (got a friend in town all week and we already made plans for thursday). Ah well, there's always next time.

Don't worry I am going to do my best to keep this as a regularly occuring event.

To keep this thread neat please PM me ideas for future book ideas and possible venues.

ETA: I will post the next book and date in the next week or so to give people time to get and read it.

I'm interested. It was the best book I read last year, but I read it so long ago, my recall for specifics is pretty weak. I'd probably have to reread it in order to discuss it very intelligently. I guess this makes me undecided :lol:

So far we have the following folks for the kick-off meeting on Feb. 8th.

mdt

CrescentFresh

hillvalley (maybe)

porcupine

Barbara

Pat(?)

cjsadler

I have received only a couple of PMs with book suggestions for future meetings. I would like to have everyone that is interested in attending to send me a list of 3-5 books that they would like to read/discuss so that we have a list to select from at our meeting. After the first two books that I select (just to get things rolling), I want to have the group decide on what to read at our meeting.

Just wanted to set the date and book for the second book club meeting to keep things rolling. After this the next meeting date and book will be selected at the meeting. Still looking for more PMs on books to be put on the list to be read.

The second meeting will be on Tuesday March 13th at Birreria Paradiso, time TBD. Since this is a HH night we might need to get some folks there on the early side to hold down a table, but we can worry about that later.

The book is Toast by Nigel Slater.

Updated list of attendees for Feb 8th. Since the group is going to be bigger than I expected I am going to try and reserve a table downstairs for us as the area by the fireplace will probably not fit us all easily to sit, eat, and discuss. So please let me know if your status has changed or if you don't see you name listed.

mdt

CrescentFresh +1

porcupine

Barbara

Pat (?)

cjsadler

Ilaine

goldenticket

TedE (maybe)

Mike that list is for the 1st meeting correct? I would like to attend the second meeting on the 13th. I just ordered the book. Does Don have a DonRockwell link so he can receive credit?

Yes that is for the meeting this week. See you on the 13th of March.

Just bringing this back up to the top.

The next meeting is on March 13th @ 630p @ Birreria Paradiso, the book to be discussed is Toast by Nigel Slater.

We will be picking the next book at that meeting and here is a very short list of the suggestions that I have received so far. If you have others, PM me with the titles and I will keep the list updated. Depending on how things continue maybe we can get the list pinned at the top of the thread so that it is easier to find.

Auguste Escoffier : Memories of My Life -- Escoffier

On Rue Tatin -- Susan Herman Loomis

Sound Bites -- Alex Kapranos

History of the World in Six Glasses -- Tom Standage

Heat -- Bill Buford

My Life in France -- Julia Child

The Making of a Chef -- Michael Ruhlman

The Soul of a Chef -- Michael Ruhlman

The Reach of a Chef -- Michael Ruhlman

Hidden Kitchens -- Nikki Silva & Davia Nelson

A Chef's Tale: A Memoir of Food, France and America -- Pierre Franey

The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen -- Jacques Pepin

The Nasty Bits -- Anthony Bourdain

Cooking for Kings: The Life of Antonin Careme, the First Celebrity Chef -- Ian Kelly

Salt: A World History -- Mark Kurlansky

From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant -- Michael Sanders

All the Presidents' Pastries: Twenty-Five Years in the White House, A Memoir -- Roland Mesnier

The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France -- Carol Drinkwater

The Big Oyster: History on the Half Shell -- Mark Kurlansky

Go on ... "Scrod in Boston?" :o

(sincere apologies)

There was an "old Vermonter" joke about the farmer on the train to Boston making small talk with a rather prim lady in the next seat.

"Ayuh. I go to Boston every other Thursday to get scrod."

And she replies: "Well! I have been an English teacher for thirty-two years, and I have never heard that use of the verb."

I don't know that there were any conclusions as such, but Porcupine emphasized the potential catastrophic effects of a blight on a major monoculture crop, such as corn. I have been thinking about that in recent days as I read about the disappearance of the bees. The loss of honey will be the least of our worries.

http://theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,2...57-2703,00.html

http://www.paulagordon.com/shows/pollan/

I'd enjoy hearing a report of the first meeting. What did you discuss? Any conclusions?

We ate some pizza, we drank some good beer, and discussed the book and various tangents. IMO I don't think we need to rehash meetings online, that is why we are meeting in person.

We do need someone to show up that can drink more beer than CrescentFresh. :o

Having read both, I'd steer you towards The Big Oyster as a much more enjoyable and manageable read. However, I didn't see Cod, also by Kurlansky, on your list. It was a must read on the fish circuit when it first came out. It comes down to what flavor do you want for your food biography!

Auguste Escoffier : Memories of My Life -- Escoffier

On Rue Tatin -- Susan Herman Loomis

Sound Bites -- Alex Kapranos

History of the World in Six Glasses -- Tom Standage

Heat -- Bill Buford

My Life in France -- Julia Child

The Making of a Chef -- Michael Ruhlman

The Soul of a Chef -- Michael Ruhlman

The Reach of a Chef -- Michael Ruhlman

Hidden Kitchens -- Nikki Silva & Davia Nelson

A Chef's Tale: A Memoir of Food, France and America -- Pierre Franey

The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen -- Jacques Pepin

The Nasty Bits -- Anthony Bourdain

Cooking for Kings: The Life of Antonin Careme, the First Celebrity Chef -- Ian Kelly

Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World -- Mark Kurlansky

From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant -- Michael Sanders

All the Presidents' Pastries: Twenty-Five Years in the White House, A Memoir -- Roland Mesnier

The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France -- Carol Drinkwater

From Pho to Fast Food, an Immigrant's Tale -- Bich Minh Nguyen

¡Que vivan los tamales!: Food and the Making of Mexican Identity -- Jeffrey M. Pilcher

Something from the Oven -- Laura Shapiro

Updated list above. If you are planning on attending please send me a PM (no posts please) so that I can get an idea on headcount for seating.

Here is the long list of folks that have chimed in to attend the book club meeting next Tuesday night. Any others planning on attending?

mdt

MBK

jpschust

clayrae

I'm actually impressed that I'm on track to have the book finished by then. I might be a touch late, though, as I have a training appointment at the gym that ends right at 6- I'll do my best to shower at the gym and cab it on over but it might not be until 6:45 or so that I get there- can someone save me a seat?

We ate some pizza, we drank some good beer, and discussed the book and various tangents. IMO I don't think we need to rehash meetings online, that is why we are meeting in person.

We do need someone to show up that can drink more beer than CrescentFresh. :o

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish is my recommendation for the next book club meeting. Anything to get to the beer quicker. Preferably Dogfish Head.

We had an entertaining group for our second meeting and after some discussion and dinner we decided on the next book and meeting time.

Book: How to Read a French Fry by Russ Parsons

Date: Tuesday April 17th

Place: Birreria Paradiso (meet at the bar downstairs)

Time: 630p

As usual, PM me if interested in attending.

As a request- and I acknowledge I've had to pull out of the last 2 due to work- but for one of these future clubs could we meet in someplace a little more metro accessable? I've got another few that would like to come, but Georgetown is just a real pain for them to get to.

As a request- and I acknowledge I've had to pull out of the last 2 due to work- but for one of these future clubs could we meet in someplace a little more metro accessable? I've got another few that would like to come, but Georgetown is just a real pain for them to get to.

Are they registered on DR.com? :o There is a shuttle that makes GTown pretty accessible.

how about the front seating area at Eleventh, it's one block from the metro :o

The circulator also gets you within a short walk.

Metro buses 30, 32, 34, 35, 36, 38B, D5 and G2 also get you there.

Thanks Mike for organizing - it was really a good discussion, and I'm looking forward to the next one too. I came down from Baltimore, and I am not complaining - it made the Old Raspy taste all the better!

Are they registered on DR.com? :o There is a shuttle that makes GTown pretty accessible.
It's my girlfriend and my roomate, and neither has registered since they both just read rather than post. I'm the loud mouth of the bunch. The shuttles and the busses, neither of which actually run on the regular schedule that they say they do are just a pain. It's not that big of a deal, but I thought I would raise it since both said something to me about it at different times.

I'll leave out the fact that I think PP and BP both stink, but that actually has nothing to do with my request here.

How about a location for people who don't like beer? :o

We brought up the possibility of a a new place for the next meeting, but the group picked BP. It is not my favorite pizza, but they do have a very good selection of beers. Nothing says that it has to be a beer place so toss out some suggestions folks and we can decide at the next meeting when we pick the next book. All we need is a place with space that is flexible with seating that allows for a good discussion.