To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

To Joe Ellis.

I think we should open a KickStarter account and try to collect $3,400 for this man. If someone can tell me how to do it, I will.

---

ETA - This won't meet the guidelines for KickStarter. We'll have to come up with another online donation mechanism. Whatever money is collected, I will go down and put in the man's hand. As a personal gift from me, if necessary (gifts below $13,000 are not taxable).

To third dates

With rum drinks while waiting in line

Where you discover you have a mutual low tolerance for spice

And more truths are revealed which explain the continuing connection

It's a shame, yet understandable, that because of others they won't read this post.

To benevolent, helpful, tech-savvy gardeners.

The Zoo (also known as Home Depot on a spring weekend) ran out of the organic soil I needed. I quickly checked reviews of a competing brand which received an emphatic thumbs down across several gardening forum websites. It will be better to shop elsewhere or wait for a replenished stock.

Those folks saved me a summer of total hassle.

Cheers, green thumb community!

(with a mint sprig garnish)

(2013 garden's first yield)

(too cute and astute)

To all my former teammates that are safe and sound after running today. And to all those who were finishing today as the bombs went off - I've only run one marathon, and if it had been this one, I would have been right there finishing with you...

I need a bit of a rant.

Like most Americans, I was devastated by 9/11, for a lot of reasons. One of the more petty reasons was how I always liked to blame NYC for everything bad and after that, how could you? I'd never been there before, but I was sure it was horrible. When I went to visit I found it was a wonderful city full of great people.

Perhaps and maybe if I'd been there before I could've compared it to pre- and post-Katrina NOLA. Before Katrina, I was there a tourist. It was...eh. After, the people who were there LOVED THAT CITY, and the pride in their city shot up so much it was unbelievable, and I believed they deserved it. Same with NYC.

I've been to Boston before. My memories are okay. I liked to make fun of my Boston friends down here because, hey, it's always been an easy target. I had a great time at Bukowski's Tavern near my hotel in 2010 hanging out with a guy who thought Tawmmy From Quinzee (google it, from http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/ ) was hysterical because it was him. One of my very good friends Conroy is a second generation Irish from Boston, complete with Red Sawx tattoo, and we loved arguing about whether or not Boston sucked. (Well, HOW MUCH it sucked.)

Now I can't.

What happened today is horrible. It was cowardly, it was something we've been lucky not to have to deal with perhaps compared to other places, but it also showed the heroism and courage of not only the first responders, who didn't hesitate at all, but also the common person there who ran in to try to help.

Am I pissed I can't make fun of Boston right now? Am I annoyed that I'd been putting together a whole comedic blog post about Sam Adams that I deleted? Am I MORE PISSED OFF AND SAD AND ANGRY that someone would do this?

I think y'all know the answer to that.

Tonight, I drank some Irish whiskey, I drank the rest of my Sam Adams (not the Blueberry beer, I'm not that masochistic yet), and now I still sit with tears in my eyes. I say this in the fire of the emotions right now, but goshdarn (I censor for here), I wish they'd find who did this and just let the Bostonians take mob justice. Intellectually, though, I want them to find out what happened, take care of it RIGHT, and not use this as a "we can't have nice things" event.

Terrorists want fear and we cannot give it to them. Patton Oswalt has already said on Facebook a beautiful thing about how many more good people there are than bad people, and if you haven't read that, I encourage you to do so.

Those of you from Boston - I love you, and I love to hate you. Don't let this change you who you are. Let's remember this is an act of some stupid fuck and know, it's like they say: nobody fights amongst themselves like a family, and nobody rallies together against outside attackers like a family. It doesn't matter if the bomber was born here or not, or what race or sex he or she was, the bomber struck OUR FAMILY and we have your back.

I love you, Boston. Until you start talking about the Patriots. Or the Red Sox. Or any of your other sports teams. But until then, any of y'all who are against Boston, y'all can go to Hell. Except NY Yankees fans, you're already there.

• Like 1

So many people deserve toasts this week.

Those who lost their lives, both in Boston and West, TX.

The first responders.

The law-enforcement agencies, who worked round the clock.

The medical personnel, who worked round the clock trying to save life and limb.

The reporters who exhausted themselves trying to keep from becoming on-air zombies.

The citizens of Boston and environs for following instructions and demonstrating indomitable spirit.

The partisans who put aside politics and once again became the only thing they really ever were: human beings.

And so many others. This week, I think I can speak for us all, (although I can't possibly *list* us all), when I get up on my bully pulpit and yell out for all the world to hear: "I'm proud to be an American!"

Don Rockwell

• Like 1

So many people deserve toasts this week.

Those who lost their lives, both in Boston and West, TX.

The first responders.

The law-enforcement agencies, who worked round the clock.

The medical personnel, who worked round the clock trying to save life and limb.

The reporters who exhausted themselves trying to keep from becoming on-air zombies.

The citizens of Boston and environs for following instructions and demonstrating indomitable spirit.

The partisans who put aside politics and once again became the only thing they really ever were: human beings.

And so many others. This week, I think I can speak for us all, (although I can't possibly *list* us all), when I get up on my bully pulpit and yell out for all the world to hear: "I'm proud to be an American!"

Don Rockwell

I am in Boston. I arrived Thrsday night, expecting some difficulty since our hotel is right on the edge of the bomb investigation site.

After a quick dinner, We walked right past the Charlesgate unexploded device site blissfully unaware of what was about to come down mere minutes after we passed. We didn't check any news before going to bed. We woke up, of course, to a city's worst nightmare, a killer on the loose.

It was harrowing. I watched the news while on the treadmill in the hotel gym, grateful that my partner was only just across the street at Hynes. We were in contact by text, both reassured that the other was as well as could be expected. I spent time in our hotel's lobby, filled with tourists who were handling the situation with much humor and patience. I was starting to get a bit batty around 11 a.m. - my plan had been to walk along the river - and I asked one of the bellmen if there was anything open nearby. He said, as if it were a normal Friday, "of course! Lots open! It's safe, too...police everywhere."

I walked to a convenience store and bought some stuff in case the lockdown dragged on. The police were very friendly and assured me it was OK to go into the open businesses. I returned to my room. I paced. I watched TV. I read news on the internet. I watched the helicopters from my hotel window. My partner's schedule cleared early as many people were unable to get into the city. So we decided to wander down Newberry street toward the Commons.

It was extraordinary. Almost no vehicle traffic, very light pedestrian traffic, and police everywhere accepting words of gratitude from everyone who was out. The Commons was in full spring bloom, looking green and inviting and calm. We decided to walk up Beacon Hill toward the North End. Lots of places open in the North End, with everyone united by the news and anxiety and pride in the Bostonian resiliance, A huge steaming plate of pasta con vongole from Antico Forno (a good mid-range place with excellent servers) was comforting and delicious, a solace for an unusual day.

We were having a glass of wine at Cantina Italia, at a tiny table in the open bay window facing the street, when news of the capture broke. Everyone began cheering. Drivers were honking horns. Strangers were high-fiving. It was a memorable evening filled with love for this extraordinary city and its people. I love Boston. I always have. But being here, now, is oddly my favorite visit here, ever.

• Like 5

Here is to the security process and people involved. One thinks back to the bomber at the Atlanta Olympics, Eric Rudolf. He set off bombs at the 1996 Olympics set off bombs before and after, was responsible for killing two and injuring over 100. He was captured in 2003. The people involved and the processes today are far better. .....and we need them.

It was exciting to watch people cheer when the remaining bomber was captured.

To my father, 15 years ago at 52 was too early! I am glad you were 21 when I was born giving us 31 years. I wish you could have known your grandchildren; our son is named after you. Knowing my future wife and what you thought of her is comforting.

I miss you!
  • Like 2

I don't want to criticize anyone who says anything nice about Boston, my other home town. But please, when you talk about that green piece of ground bounded by Charles, Beacon, Park, Tremont, and Boylston Streets, it's the Common, not the Commons. Bless it.

To my beautiful wife for marrying me 12 years ago, April 27th.

And to my mom and dad, whose 90th birthdays will be on May 5th.

attachicon.gifWedding.jpg

I love my mom and dad, and always will. :(

Yes, Karen too of course, but this would have been their 90th birthday. I'm the luckiest person in the entire world, to have loved like I did, and to have been loved like I was.

Sure doesn't make it easy when everyone is gone.

I love my mom and dad, and always will. :(

Yes, Karen too of course, but this would have been their 90th birthday. I'm the luckiest person in the entire world, to have loved like I did, and to have been loved like I was.

Sure doesn't make it easy when everyone is gone.

No but you've got the memories and the stories to share with Matt and others. My parents died when I was in high school and it has been really hard for me to talk about them but I try really hard to let BLKindergardner know who they were. But the ache....the ache is there...

Last night:

To my partner, who received her MBA degree yesterday; and to me, who has finally extricated herself from an administrative position in a unit that is being decimated, and is returning to "regular" faculty status with great relief.

To the House of Representatives in my old state of Minnesota for voting today in favor of marriage equality--one more vote in the State Senate and they become number 12 in the nation, and the first Midwestern legislature to reach this milestone.

• Like 3

And now, to the Minnesota Senate. And tomorrow, to Governor Mark Dayton. My home state, Iowa--of all places!--was first. My current home, DC, was next. But now, my long-time home is in the fold. And while I'm at it, here's to all those couples whose blessings of relationships I took part in over 15 years ago who can now have that legally recognized.

One more story: Over 17 years ago, I was asked to be a witness in a "Blessing of Relationship" service for two other men--both also named David--in a Lutheran church in Minneapolis. I was shocked by their request, as I really didn't know them all that well, but in the next few years, I got to witness firsthand their deep love for one another, which went back more than a dozen years, and resulted in one them forced to leave the ministry. I moved to DC in 1998; in 2002, one of them, David Lien, succumbed quickly to a virulent form of esophageal cancer. Tonight, though, I can only think of him closing his eyes, as his loving partner kissed him on the forehead as they danced their first dance after their union--an image I have never been able to shake from my mind. I wish so much, SO MUCH, he was here for this day.

• Like 1

To my neighbors, who are a pretty cool couple. The three years I lived in Courthouse I never knew any of my neighbors except through outside agencies (such as when goodeats lived in my building) but last night Marshall and I sat outside grilling and smoking cigars with my neighbor, and it's good to have neighbors you can hang out with.

Also, we got to name the fat ole raccoon Charles, and then Marshall scared Charles up the tree where we were sitting, and he didn't fall back down on us, so that was a good thing.

• Like 1