Joe's Noodle House, Rockville - From The Holy Mountain of Szechuan

Would you recommend Bob's over Joe's now? Looking for a restaurant in Rockville or Gaithersburg area tomorrow.

Pax,

Brian

Bob's is always a good choice, whether or not Joe's has slipped. Don't know the time or size of your group, but Bob's is a little larger than Joe's as well.

Bob's is always a good choice, whether or not Joe's has slipped. Don't know the time or size of your group, but Bob's is a little larger than Joe's as well.

Just 4 in the group. No food limits. Don't want to tie up Joe's thread with people's favorite Rockville restaurants, so if you have helpful advice, a PM might work best :lol:

If it makes any difference, we're probably eating earlier (6PM-ish). Thanks all.

Pax,

Brian

I was working from home today and didn't want to trek all the way up to Peking Cheers so I grabbed some takout from Joe's today. Had the triple pepper dry sauteed chicken (one star plus numbing), the singapoore rice noodles, and the shredded pork tripe in hot sauce (one star).

The chicken had a great flavour to it and on many levels. There was the sweetness from the sauteed green peppers, heat from the red peppers, and the characteristic numbing of the Szechuan peppercorns.

But here's the real reason for my post. It seems that any dish with Szechuan peppercorns tastes a bit salty to me. My wife notices this too, and to a greater extent - so much so that she won't eat them anymore because she doesn't like the overtly salty taste. I'm wondering if the dishes are really saltier or if the numbing action of the peppercorns also makes the salt receptors on the tongue more sensitive??

Anyone?? Bueller? Anyone?

I trucked up to Rockville yesterday with the wife in tow. I was really excited but wary as the post have been less than enthusiatic lately. I didn't walk away dissapointed but neither was I blown away. There were some good dishes, some okay and nothing was bad.

We had the beef tendon in spicy sauce: I loved this and even more so when I warmed it up alittle bit at home, very gelatinous.

The boiled peanuts were soso, I've had them spicier and I like the version at A&J more. The sweet and spicy ribs were dry but were tasty nonetheless. The chicken gizzards were also only okay. I was suprised by the fish dishes. I usually don't eat fish dishes out that much but I loved theses. We had the fried smelt and peanuts which I loved!!! The crispy, salty fish with the peanuts, chilies and garlic were awesome, a perfect little bite. I also loved the h20. I liked the lingering, creaping heat of it. I mostly ate the tofu and let my wife have the fish. She thought it was a little bland, however, she ate the fish mostly sans sauce and with copius amounts of rice (what, she's Filapina), I thought it was fabulous and told her I thought she was off her rocker. The scallion pancake was one of the better renditions that I've had.

All in all, loved the spice, would have love to see if it was better before or now. I won't make a special drive for it, but if I'm in the area I would definately stop.

edited to add: I also tried the pasta with spicy meat sauce, I loved the sauce which was tounge searing, but the noodles were over cooked(big pet peave of mine, I hate mushy pasta).

There were some good dishes, some okay and nothing was bad.
IMO, this has always been the case with JNH. It's a large menu, and there are some good dishes and some ok, but I've never had anything there that I thought was flat out bad.

We ate at Joe's back in early February and it was seriously the worst Chinese food I've ever had. Hopefully it was just an off night.

What did you order? I've eaten there many, many times, and I've never had a BAD meal there.

I went for lunch and had one of the best meals I have ever had there....

Dry Saute Beef was perfection. Crispy bef without being tough, flavorful, numbing and yet without any sauce on the bottom of the plate (as it should be!).

Tofu with spicy sauce, incendiary hot, with a more vinegary tang than in the past.

Pickled Cabbage- very well done, much better than the last time I had it.

In all, I would say that Joe's seems back.

Recently I had F25- Stir ffired fresh bacon with hot peppers....fantastic. I think pork belly slices stir fried with2-3 peppers, green onions, and a light hint of black bean sauce.

next time I am going to try T21 homemade bacon with leek....has anyone had this?

We ate at Joe's back in early February and it was seriously the worst Chinese food I've ever had. Hopefully it was just an off night.

Please help us by putting your comments into context. What did you eat at Joe's and what didn't you like about it? Where have you had really good Chinese food, and what dishes there did/do you consider good?

Was that the appetizer "soft bean curd w/ Tasty Spicy Sauce"?

I just asked for "Tofu is hot sauce" as that is what I have alwyas celld it. It usually is in the cold case. This dish had same tofu but the pepper sauce was more vinegary than before and less chilies, but still firey hot. It is very different than the soft tofu in spicy sauce at Peking Cheers.

You've led a blessed life, my friend, or never tried eat Chinese food in Waterloo, Iowa. Or Washington, DC.

Hit Joe's for the first time the other snowy weekend on a random 'burban ramble, and was just delighted. Head and shoulders above Mei-Wah or the late great ("I'm not dead yet") City Lights. Maybe better than Full Key (apples and oranges, though, I'll take either).

It is very different than the soft tofu in spicy sauce at Peking Cheers.
Although I really like vinegary heat, that lack of vinegary heat is just what I like about the one at PC. It's just different.

It's nice to have the different options.

Although I really like vinegary heat, that lack of vinegary heat is just what I like about the one at PC. It's just different.

It's nice to have the different options.

The JNH version is firm tofu cut in small cubes and coated with sauce. Totally different.

Actually, Waitman, I have had pretty good Chinese food in DC. In Chinatown.

Three friends and I tried Joe's after reading rave reviews both here and elsewhere. We had the following selections. Sorry, but I didn't save the #'s of each item. Hopefully this list will suffice.

*bamboo salad

*Duck tongue

*salty calamari

*Hot fish soup

*dumplings (don't remember what kind??)

*bean curd

*tendon

To be fair, the dumplings were Ok. The duck tounge was a bit different- since it was my first time trying this dish I don't think it's fair to make a negative comment. However, the remaining dishes were not very good. At all. The bean curd,tendon and fish soup were all in the same sauce and the sauce wasn't flavorful, wasn't spicy. Just greasy. The Bamboo tasted like it was fresh out of a can. The calamari was greasy.

Kay and I went to Joe's...

Had some regulars: 3 pepper chicken with loads of szechuan peppercorns and heat, cuke salad, edamame tofu salad, bean curd noodles. All were good and at Joe's usual standard (though the cuke salad was very new pickle like rather than a more fermented style I am used to.

The big winner though was a plain sounding dish of noodles with spinach and spicy meat sauce. The meat crumbles on top of a bed of spinach and ramen looking noodles hide a red brew of heat & garlic at the bottom of the bole with ground szechuan peppercorns and oil. One of the hottest dishes I have ever had as the oil just coats your mouth with numbing and hot peppers. WOW!

Just back from lunch at Joe's after too many months away. If there was a decline in the kitchen, either it didn't affect the dishes we had, or it has been rectified. One dish, the pressed bean curd with hot sauce (A11), is what I think Dean is referring to above, small cubes of extra firm tofu in a peppery sauce. Szechuan beef jerky (A52) was good as always, had more sesame seeds than before, otherwise no change. Spicy and sour pickled veg (A05, mainly cabbage with a little carrot) had that tingly fizzy taste that comes from the natural fermentation in the pickling brine. Scallion pancake (A35) was normal, good. And two large bowls of beef noodle soup Szechuan style (N16). My friend with me said that he loves this as much as, if not better than, pho. It's a richer, darker broth than pho usually is, brightened up with hot chili oil on top. A few fresh greens, some pickled greens, wide noodles, and a few nice chunks of beef. Perfect for a day like today, when winter doesn't feel like giving up yet, or when your head is stuffy.

The last two, the soup and the scallion pancake can be compared favorably to what you get at A&J for dishes of the same name. I might like the pancake at A&J a little better, and the wide noodles in the soup at A&J. On the other hand, I like the broth and the beef at Joe's better, and A&J doesn't put in any pickled greens in their soup.

All of that, plus two Tsingtao beers, for somewhere around $32. We ate like kings. There was a line for tables when we left, the usual mix of Asians and non-Asians. Bottom line is that rumors of Joe's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Joe's Noodle House website (includes menu)

We went up to Joe's tonight for dinner and boy oh boy am I glad we did. I can honestly say that on my last trip I definately ordered wrong. Tonight we had:

a27: Salty and Crispy Chicken: exactly what I wanted salty fried chicken with hunks of garlic, chilies and basil, ummmm

w05: Dumplings with red hot sauce: okay, tender dumplings with a basic filling, just fine...

n16: Beef Noodle Soup, Szechuan Style: awesome, chewy noodles with tender, slightly fatty beef in a spicy rich broth with some greens and fragrant with cilantro. Just perfect for a cold, blustery day.

after about reading Dean's love of the tofu here we got a37: Soft Bean Curd with Tasty spicy sauce: I really liked the tofu in the h20 last time and wanted something similar. So we gave it a go, it was wonderful, spicy, creamy, salty and a bit of onion on top. Very soothing to me.

h08: Szechuan Spicy and Dry Beef Sautee: absolutely wonderful. Nice numbing (it actually suprised me when I noticed it, lol) soooooooooooo f'en good and spicy. I absolutely LOVE this.

Nida wanted some shrimp so she ordered the cashew, celery and shrimp dinner, extra spicy. She loved it. The shrimp were tender and fresh tasting.

Even thought the nice lady, Audrey?, at the register tried to warm me about the spice she seemed happy when I assured her that we had come for the spiciness. After the last time we were here, I was sure I had misordered and I'm happy I returned. I haven't had much authentic chinese food but I absolutely move this place to the top of my admitedly small list.

Barbara was suffering from a summer cold this weekend, so we hit Joe's for lunch. Getting the Szechuan beef noodle soup was a given. It's wonderfully restorative and really opens your head up when you're under the weather. We had a new appetizer, the tea tree mushroom with home made bacon (A44). This is a room temp dish, with sauteed mushrooms and thick slices of bacon, topped with some chopped cilantro. The mushrooms themselves are tall and skinny, chopped into 1.5 inch long pieces. Flavors included the usual sesame oil and a hint of cumin. It's a nice introduction to their homemade bacon without having to order a full entree.

I don't know if this will be in our permanent appetizer rotation, just because there are so many other good appetizers there. It's worth trying when you want something new. Now, I need to get back up there and get the Tibetan Style Lamb with Cumin.

things we've eaten lately and loved...tibetian lamb with cumin, fried spicy tofu with pork, garlic chives with pork, schezuan green beans with black bean pork sauce, crispy salty squid, spicy and tasty chicken ans smoked duck.

all have been superb, i am covinced that this is the perfect place to eat on sunday. we always order way to much food so we have leftovers for at least two days. i always get the schezuan crispy dry beef, that makes my day.....

For those suffering through the poor air quality days of summer, may I suggest a trip to Joe's Noodle House for the spicy noodles with spinach (and pork if you choose). The szechaun pepper is potent, but boy does it work. Combining the noodles with Szechaun Chicken might have been just the thing the doctor ordered to obliterate the nasty ozones. Have a bit of the tofu/edamame/greens to counter the burning if you need!

Yesterday was my first visit to Joe's, for a $20 Tuesday. Scott did a wonderful job of ordering. I tried everything and enjoyed it all, including the jellyfish, which I'd never had before. I like some heat but can't take extreme heat, and nothing was too hot for me to eat, including the H20. That surprised me a bit and makes me think they toned down the heat at least some. On the other hand, I tried everything and enjoyed it without serious pain, so that worked out fine for me B). Going with a group and having people who know what to order makes me much more adventurous than I would be otherwise.

The effect of the Szechuan peppercorns on my taste buds was wild. I can't recall eating anything that's made water taste strange before.

Scott and others can fill in better what we ordered. In addition to the H20, I recall fried baby smelt with peanuts, tofu roll with mushrooms, pickled cucumbers, lamb with cumin, Szechuan beef jerky, edamame with shrimp, wontons, salty and crispy squid...then it gets fuzzy--green beans and something; there was pork... :angry: .

Thus concludes my report :P

Menu from 20 dollar Tuesday at Joe's Noodle House on August 21st.
Yep..I crossed posted, sue me. BTW the leftovers seem even better the next day!

APPETIZERS

A07 Thin Bean Curd Roll Filled w/ Shitake Mushrooms (amazingly thin tofu, very light and refreshing)
A08 Cucumber Salad (really more like sweet pickles
A09 Spicy Sweet and Sour Cabbage (nice pickled cabbage)
A20 Jelly Fish Salad (very good, first time I have had this)
A28 Salt & Crispy Squid (very fresh and mild)
A41 Fried Baby Smelt & Peanuts (highly addictive)
W01 Wonton w/ Red Hot Sauce (2 orders crowd favorite)
A52 Szechuan Beef Jerky (not as hot as I have had before, but nevertheless nice)

MAIN COURSES

F22 Yu-Shiang Pork- Home Style (lots of flavor with garlic, ginger, and peppers)
T20 Triple Pepper Chicken Dry Sautee (somewhat tame tonight)
F32 Spicy and Tasty Fried Tofu (hottest dish of the night)
H20 Fish Fillet & Soft Bean Curd in Szechuan Sauce (not as hot, according to others, very nice taste)
F26 Tender Shrimp Sautéed w/ Edamame Beans (somewhat overshadowed by the spicy dishes we ordered, I really like the shrimp flavor in this dish)
H14 Tibetan Style Lamb w / Cumin (very good, a bit more moist then when I have ordered this in the past)
T21 Home Made Bacon with Leek (what is there not to like, this plate was almost licked clean)
??? Sautee Greens with Garlic

H14 Tibetan Style Lamb w / Cumin (very good, a bit more moist then when I have ordered this in the past)

The other day I had indigestion and was feeling sweaty. Oh No! I thought, the symptoms of a heart attack. Then I remembered that I polished off a full plate of the Cumin Lamb (never ahd it before) for lunch, extra spicy please!. It was worth the gastric distress later on!

Recently ordered an array of our favorites and have to say I was a little disappointed. Now, not so good at Joe's is still much better than most Chinese in the area so hopefully it was just an off night. Maybe others out there have been recently with experiences that were excellent. Joe's is usually so good that I've probably raised the bar too high.

A26 Shredded Pork w/Hot Pepper and Pressed Bean Curd--hit the mark with that nice pepper and onion flavor.

N36 Spicy Noodle w/Spinach and Ground Pork-- this is usually my favorite dish but was strangely flat. Not enough spice in the hot sauce and not enough ground pork, so was mostly noodles with spinach and a thin red sauce.

V13 Eggplant w/Basil in Garlic Sauce-- again, the basil flavor was flat and there is usually magic with the combination of garlic and basil that makes this scrumptious. Something again missing here.

T11 Salty and Crispy Squid-- what has done it for me in the past is all that garlicky stuff on the bottom that goes great with the squid. The squid was fine but the flavors again were missing.

T14 Fish Fillet w/Pine Nuts-- great as always. The mild sauce worked beautifully with the nuts and white fish. Really good.

Recently ordered an array of our favorites and have to say I was a little disappointed...

...N36 Spicy Noodle w/Spinach and Ground Pork-- this is usually my favorite dish but was strangely flat. Not enough spice in the hot sauce and not enough ground pork, so was mostly noodles with spinach and a thin red sauce.

Just had the spicy noodles today and I agree. It definitly did not live up to the spiciness I expect from Joe's. It also lacked in generosity, something Joe's is usually full of. Still good, but maybe it wasn't a fluke.

Just had the spicy noodles today and I agree. It definitly did not live up to the spiciness I expect from Joe's. It also lacked in generosity, something Joe's is usually full of. Still good, but maybe it wasn't a fluke.
I don't think it is a fluke. I have gone on a pretty regular basis, and the last two times were really misses. The last time I ordered the spicy noodles with spinach. It did not have the desired effect of numbing my lips or clearing my sinuses. However, the group I was with each ordered standard items from the lunch menu and it all looked good. (Lunch items are definitely individual portions; even served on divided plates with the rice.)

I'm sorry to hear others expressing what I had experienced. I had hoped it was just me.

So, where else can I find the numbing pepper?

My last two trips the numbiung effects were there. I ordered from Audrey one time and another lady the other. When asked for spicy I made a motion with my hand indicating "way up" and said very spicy. In fact, the last two trips, last week and the week beofre, were especially good! Odd!

For the record, the ten or so times I've ordered the spicy noodles with spinach, I've never asked for any special level of spice---just gotten what they have given me. I guess it's worth asking for more spice. But that's just an added pain that I may or may not remember to do. It's a shame that there seems to be a downward trend.

I just went there two days ago and ordered the pasta with hot meat sauce, tibetan lamb with cumin and the szechuan tofu with pork (aka MaPo). All were VERY hot, especially the lamb. The pasta and bean curd had the perfect levels of heat and numbing, whereas the lamb was almost a little too hot and not numbing enough (but well within acceptable limits). Given recent experience at Peking Cheers (thanks for taking one for the team, Dean) it appears that JNH is now my main place to go for spicy Szechuan.

It's time for another RPLC outing there. I like being able to taste the variety that comes with ordering family style. Monday, perhaps?

I've had the spicy noodles with pork and spinach a couple of times and I've decided it isn't for me. I love rippin' hot spicy food, but this stuff has always seemed more medicinal tasting than anything else. It's a little like rubbing Vick's Vapo-rub on your tongue, which can be fun when you're naked, on acid, and in circus tent full of acrobat midgets on ponyback, but otherwise leaves me cold.

I just went there two days ago and ordered the pasta with hot meat sauce, tibetan lamb with cumin and the szechuan tofu with pork (aka MaPo). All were VERY hot, especially the lamb. The pasta and bean curd had the perfect levels of heat and numbing, whereas the lamb was almost a little too hot and not numbing enough (but well within acceptable limits). Given recent experience at Peking Cheers (thanks for taking one for the team, Dean) it appears that JNH is now my main place to go for spicy Szechuan.

It's time for another RPLC outing there. I like being able to taste the variety that comes with ordering family style. Monday, perhaps?

I'm up for it....

I made my first trip to Joe's Friday for a casual business lunch. I liked it, but felt a little cheated on the spice level. To start, I had fried pork dumplings, something I miss tons from my NYC-dwelling days. These weren't spectacular, but they did the trick. My orange beef, marked with a chili pepper, was fine, but bland. I need to be persuasive about the fact that I want spice next time. :blink:

I had a wonderful lunch at Joe's Noodle yesterday. The spice levels were great. I had my usual faviorites, inculding the wontons in hot sauce, cumin lamb, and hot and numbing fried tofu. I think the lamb and the tofu were the best I ever had there and everything else great. Seriously, the rumor is that one of the cooks returned from Peking Cheers, I have no way to validate that, just that the meal was wonderful!!!!

I've been to Joe's four or five times in the past month and I look forward to going again and again. I finally found a Chinese joint without the gloppy sauces and over-cooked veggies. The food is damn interesting even when you don't expect it to be. "Stir-Fried Bean Curd and Celery" doesn't exactly inspire an urgent desire to order it when you read the words, but the taste and textures of the dish were excellent-- soft strips of tofu with barely-cooked crisp celery matchsticks in a thoughtfully crafted gingery sauce.

I look forward to exploring the whole menu (well, except maybe the intestines, blood, and so forth), and keeping an eye on the specials board. Rockville ain't got much going for it, but at least we got Joe's.

The food is damn interesting even when you don't expect it to be. "Stir-Fried Bean Curd and Celery" doesn't exactly inspire an urgent desire to order it when you read the words,

GOtta try the scrambles eggs with shrimp. Sounds blah and its the most comforting thing to go with spicy stuff!

Spurred by the memory of the eggs and shrimp, Kay and I had an early lunch there Suday. The eggs were absolutely wonderful. As was the smoked bacon with peppers and leeks. The hot peppers were the predominant veggie in the dish. The shredded tofu salad was amazing with sesame oil and crunchy celery and carrot shreds. Even the spicy pickled cabbage was fantastic.

Tonight, given I was in no way in the mood to fight the traffice downtown and try to gate crash the Waygu tasting, I went to joe's for Spicy dry fried beef. The best I have ever had there or anywhere. The beef crunchy. The celery and carrots the only source of moisture. The sauce really a crumble of pepper flakes, ginger, garlic and bits of fried beef crust. When the plate was finished, there was no sauce at all on the bottom of the plate, just a sheen of oil. It was hot enough for me and probably too hot for most anyone else (well maybe Amit as he is the most hot loving person I know). Audrey was shaking her head when she saw I ate it all. "Did you even eat the hot peppers?" she asked. Actually I left most of them behind!

The food at Joe's has really been on a roll for the last 4-6 weeks.

I was there earlier this week for a take out lunch. The "Soft bean curd with tasty hot sauce" (A37) is a total winner and reminds me of the soft tofu that we used to get at Peking Cheers. The tofu almost melts in your mouth, leaving behind the reminder of heat and the vague numbness of the szechuan peppercorns. The dry beef saute (H08) Dean mentioned is still my favorite item on the menu. Lisa wanted something without the szechuan peppercorns so we went with the "Hot and sour fish fillet/w Cellophane noodle in broth" (H25). I'm not sure if it deserves a 2 hot pepper designation but it was perfect for a cold winter's day. Large chunks of firm whitefish in a spicy and vinegary broth with noodles that resembled slightly caramlezied onions (in appearance only). The only veggies were a liberal dose of pickled vegetables which added to the sour aspect of the dish. The broth stood on it's own and anything left at the bottom of the serving bowl was quickly scooped up.

I'm still not sure why people are so adverse to blood, intestines, etc. I mean, you'll eat sausages and terrine but won't eat basically the same ingredients in their whole form? Wassup with that? The spicy chicken gizzards and shredded pork ear are tasty (and cheap) appetizers that don't look anything like their names suggest so there isn't the "gross out" factor. Give 'em a try!

The entire non-Christian population of Greater Washington descended on Joe's on Tuesday. When we four got there at 5 p.m., only two tables were still available. We were an Asian, a Lapsed Christian and two Members of the Chosen People. This pretty much reflected the demographics of the patrons as a whole, except that a majority were Asian. By the time we left an hour or so later, there were 20 people lined up outside the door, and surely the crowd was going to grow as normal dinner time approached. Audrey, the materfamilias, was off counting her blessings, or spending them, but the place rocked without her. Yes, Joe's Noodle House is where it's at, at Christmas.

One of the great things about this site are the restaurants you discover through the "work" of others. Though I have passed Joe's maybe 500 times while living in Montgomery County I never noticed it nor set foot into it till yesterday. The Szechuan beef Noodle soup was everything I could ask for in a bowl of soup. That alone will keep me coming back. The Yu Shiang pork was sensational - not particularly hot but full of ginger and so flavorful. The Salty and Crispy Chicken were the chickennuggets of my dreams. The garlic spinach was perfection but my favorite was the Szechuan Spicy and Dry Beef Sautee - absurdly hot. Loved every morsel as I cleaned the plate but I and my tummy have been paying the price since. I love eating it but my body can't take it. Still, it was a sublime dining experience that will be oft repeated in the future.

One of the great things about this site are the restaurants you discover through the "work" of others. Though I have passed Joe's maybe 500 times while living in Montgomery County I never noticed it nor set foot into it till yesterday. The Szechuan beef Noodle soup was everything I could ask for in a bowl of soup. That alone will keep me coming back. The Yu Shiang pork was sensational - not particularly hot but full of ginger and so flavorful. The Salty and Crispy Chicken were the chickennuggets of my dreams. The garlic spinach was perfection but my favorite was the Szechuan Spicy and Dry Beef Sautee - absurdly hot. Loved every morsel as I cleaned the plate but I and my tummy have been paying the price since. I love eating it but my body can't take it. Still, it was a sublime dining experience that will be oft repeated in the future.

Did you indulge in Glen Ellen Chard to quell the fire? :mellow:

Sunday lunch at Joe's Noodle House. First time trying the Tibetan Lamb, which comes with a scary number of peppers. Meat itself is tasty and not incindeary as long as you don't accidentally eat a pepper.

I had that Friday night. Man, I love that stuff!

Thursday lunch after a trip to the brickyard on Gude Drive:

Crispy and salty squid--big hunks of squid but so tender and full of flavor inside the crisped coating of rice flour and egg white.

Leek flower stems with black bean and pork

Dry-fried green beans