CrescentFresh

Trader Joe's, 16 Area Locations

562 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumors of the Safeway in the Crystal City underground being replaced by a Trader Joe's?

I heard the one on Colesville Rd, north of Four Corners, is supposed to be opening either this coming weekend or next...SWEET!

I heard the one on Colesville Rd, north of Four Corners, is supposed to be opening either this coming weekend or next...SWEET!

The neighborhood rumor mill has it that opening day will be May 27.

Did a drive by this weekend and they appear to have everything almost ready to go. They just need to stock the shelves.

Yes, I believe someone at the Gaithersburg store told my Dad May 28th--I remember that now, since it's also his Bday! (Hard to believe the weekend after this one is already Memorial Day weekend :lol: )

I have read that there is a Trader Joe's planned for the new condo in the Columbia Hospital developement at 25th and Pennsylvania.

Excellent!

Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumors of the Safeway in the Crystal City underground being replaced by a Trader Joe's?
I have also heard this so I asked today while at the Bailey's Crossroads TJ's -- they would neither confirm nor deny the rumor, but did say that there would be another TJ's opening in "the area" in about a year.

Got back from a lunch break over at TJ's. Must say it's alot nicer and bigger than the one in Rockville, Bethesda or Falls Church. It's more spacious than most TJ's. Quite happy there's another choice in Silver Spring besides Whole Paychecks... :lol:

Cool! :lol:

Location - Colesville Road about a 1/4 mile North of 4 corners.

I'll go after work to stock up on road trip snacks.

Where is it?

Oops, I shoulda been more specific. Apologies!

It's outside the Beltway on Columbia Pike, Route 29. about 5 minutes north of the University Blvd. intersection.

And they have Total Greek Yogurt. Whee! :lol:

The [conceptual | hypothetical | rumored] Crystal City TJ's isn't going to be very large, either, unless they expand the space, which it doesn' tlook like they're doing.

The [conceptual | hypothetical | rumored] Crystal City TJ's isn't going to be very large, either, unless they expand the space, which it doesn' tlook like they're doing.

Have you walked through there to see if there is any action going on? A buddy of mine who works at the Alexandria TJ's says he's heard nothing of anything in Crystal City. But he's not really in a position that I would have expected him to know.

Tried to stop by the new TJ's in SS on Friday. What a madhouse! Lines at registers 15+ people deep. Selection looks broader than elsewhere as would be expected due to larger size. Will try again this week.

Have you walked through there to see if there is any action going on?  A buddy of mine who works at the Alexandria TJ's says he's heard nothing of anything in Crystal City.  But he's not really in a position that I would have expected him to know.

No, I was down there yesterday, and there's no sign of any construction.

It strikes me that a Trader Joe's in Crystal City would be mighty close to the existing one on Washington Street in Alexandria. One way to confirm whether or not there are plans for one in Crystal City would be to check th County's website to see if building permits have been requested or issued.

Tried to stop by the new TJ's in SS on Friday. What a madhouse! Lines at registers 15+ people deep. Selection looks broader than elsewhere as would be expected due to larger size. Will try again this week.

Stopped by briefly on Saturday, and there was a good amount of people checking it out, but not nearly as crowded as what you saw Friday. Store looks great; I was really pleased to see how large it is, but did not get to peruse all the aisles since we were on our way to do errands and had just bought a bunch of stuff at the Gaithersburg TJ's on Friday. I was very glad to see they have large tubs of the Total greek yogurt, in both the 0% and lowfat varieties.

Off topic, Chico's, on the otherhand, had two lines 5+ deep and I could barely get in the door to take a peek! :lol:

For all of you in the Baltimore area..... Trader Joes will be opening soon in Pikesville @ Festival at Woodholme on Reisterstown Road

Took my husband to the Silver Spring Trader Joe's on Saturday. I've been a TJ customer since my California days, but he'd never been to one before. Poor guy. He's not exactly a foodie, and the place alarmed him.

• "It smells funny. Like... flavor and stuff."
    "This is a real tree-hugging-hippie kinda place, isn't it?"
    "The hell? Organic Pop-Tarts?"

Guess I'd better not take him to Han Ah Reum. He wouldn't survive the produce aisle, let alone the fish counter...

Anyone been there yet? How does it differ from the Reston, Fairfax, and Tysons TJ's?

I finally paid a quick visit to the new Trader Joe's last night.

The store is very attractive. The aisles are much wider than in the other stores. The cheese selection is displayed very nicely. Having had a recent good experience with a Wensleydale with cranberries from Costco, I snagged a White Stilton with cranberries at this TJ's. The cashier and another employee raved about it so I have high expectations. They also have Stilton with apricots and also with mango & ginger.

One thing that I found particularly impressive was that as late as I walked in (around 8:35, and they close at 9), the samples counter was fully stocked and manned (womanned, actually). The free coffee was also still hot.

There was some delectable looking items in the baked goods area -- strawberry rhubard pie and chocolate tangerine cookies, to name two -- that I will not be able to resist on future visits.

In the flower area I snagged a dozen beautiful "rainbow roses" for a mere $7.99.

All in all, a very nice store that should do quite well.

I was at a Trader Joe's on Saturday that carried leg of lamb (boneless, frozen). The price was good, but I'm wondering about the quality. Has anyone cooked one of these?

The other day my friend took great joy in scooping me on the fact that DC was finally getting a Trader Joe's. He said it was to open near the old Columbia Women's Hospital. I checked the TJ web site and there was no information, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Anyone else heard this rumor? Was I really scooped in the food world? Could it possibly be true :lol:

I'm working right near that location now (24th and L is where it's supposed to be). The word from my co-workers is that it's a done deal and TJ's will be moving in soon (it will be in the bottom floor of an almost completed new condo building at the old hospital site). There's some confirmation from the West End's website too (I'm having trouble finding a recent update on it that I saw).

I'm working right near that location now (24th and L is where it's supposed to be).  The word from my co-workers is that it's a done deal and TJ's will be moving in soon (it will be in the bottom floor of an almost completed new condo building at the old hospital site).  There's some confirmation from the West End's website too (I'm having trouble finding a recent update on it that I saw).

My info is the same as Chris's. I CAN'T WAIT. I live at 26th and K and cannot wait to abandon that ratty Watergate-GWU Safeway.