pras

Q - The Flagship Restaurant of Peter Chang, 4500 East-West Highway in Bethesda

The menu doesn't look particularly upscale for an upscale Chinese joint and it doesn't seem to target Chinese clients.  Pricing of some dishes seem strange, for example, why is Mapo Tofu $26 when most of the other seafood dishes cost less?

That dopey menu needs work.

20 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The menu doesn't look particularly upscale for an upscale Chinese joint and it doesn't seem to target Chinese clients.

Unfortunately, my parents agree.  Every time we eat at one of his restaurants, they comment on the prices and imply that very few of their friends would ever go.  Also, there definitely don't seem to be many "banquet"-like menu items.

P.S.  Then again, my parents say that about any nice restaurant where we take them, always citing how it would be much more cost-effective to eat at a Chinese restaurant and/or do carry out "so you don't have to tip as much or at all" (sigh).

• Like 1

Maybe it's a typo laden beta? How in the world is Peking duck $16? Or am I misunderstanding what the 16 means?

Last time I went to PC Arlington, parts of the meal were as good as what I had in Chengdu. 

• Like 1

mtureck   
44 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Maybe it's a typo laden beta? How in the world is Peking duck $16? Or am I misunderstanding what the 16 means?

Last time I went to PC Arlington, parts of the meal were as good as what I had in Chengdu. 

That was my first reaction to the menu as well. Maybe $16 per person?

On the other hand, I like the sound of the $16 lunch dim sum platter:

Peter's Dim Sum Platter

Experience lunch curated through Peter’s eyes. This selection includes 9 seasonally rotating Dim Sum & Cold dishes careful chosen by Peter himself.

$45 at Peking Gourmet for full duck. Must be $16 a person or the menu is just a mock up and not the real thing. 

DonRocks   

It's a page number, unless it's just a small portion - these ducks are not roasted to order, and there's no reason why one duck can't be parceled out between multiple parties.

Full Kee has Peking Duck on their menu for "$16.95+".

It's a page number, unless it's just a small portion - these ducks are not roasted to order, and there's no reason why one duck can't be parceled out between multiple parties.

Awww ... but then you don't get the guy chopping it up at your table. It's the best part! I guess he could chop it up and give you some and then go on to another table.

JonS   
22 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Full Kee has Peking Duck on their menu for "$16.95+".

Their online menu says: "Servings for two 6 slices duck skin, 8 slices duck meat, 4 pancakes scallion, cucumber, maple syrup sauce, PKD sauce, sweet garlic paste."

• Like 1

Simon   
On May 9, 2017 at 0:52 PM, silentbob said:

Soft opening is this weekend.  I skimmed through menus and it looks like many items already served at his other restaurants are $3 more at Q.  Lots of unique stuff here though.

What items look most interesting from a first read of the menu?  I remember Chang saying (or someone saying) in the press that he'd be at his flagship regularly because the dishes would be more complex...

13 hours ago, Simon said:

What items look most interesting from a first read of the menu?  I remember Chang saying (or someone saying) in the press that he'd be at his flagship regularly because the dishes would be more complex...

The dishes with five peppers next to them, the dim sum platter mentioned above, kumquat beef, and "guai" (translates to strange in Mandarin) flavored chicken casserole are all intriguing to me.

mtureck   

I stopped by the soft opening at lunch today, and tried the dim sum platter, 9 pieces selected by the kitchen, sort of a dim sum omakase. 

I know you don't exactly think "dim sum" when you think of Peter Chang, but it made for a enjoyable lunch. 

As you can see if my picture attached correctly, it was a nice variety...nothing truly transcendent, but very good all around. Could have been a bit more food for the price, but certainly not dramatically undersized. 

Apparently I was the first person to ever order this...soft openings are fun! They asked for feedback after the meal, and then I was on my way. 

And yes, Peter is there, wandering the dining room and seemingly inspecting everything.

I look forward to going back with family and friends and digging into the spicer side of the menu. 

Parking isn't intuitive there...that could be an issue...but there is a big garage right around the corner if you know where to look. 

IMG_0443.jpg

DonRocks   
10 minutes ago, mtureck said:

As you can see if my picture attached correctly, it was a nice variety...nothing truly transcendent, but very good all around. Could have been a bit more food for the price, but certainly not dramatically undersized. 

Thanks for the picture. What are those "corn-muffin"-looking things in the corners? It seems like this is fairly starch-heavy, not that that's a bad thing - how much was it?

mtureck   
11 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Thanks for the picture. What are those "corn-muffin"-looking things in the corners? It seems like this is fairly starch-heavy, not that that's a bad thing - how much was it?

I believe it was $16 and the two in the corner are sweet buns, one with chicken and one with custard. I think the chicken bun was my favorite of the nine..a nice sweet/savory combo with a little crunch. The sesame ball was also surprisingly good...I'm not normally a fan. 

And yes, a little more protein and a little less starch probably would have improved the balance a bit in general. 

jasonc   
12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

they are called pineapple buns but they don't have pineapple in them!

MMM   

My husband and I had a latish (8:30) dinner here on Monday night.  There were only a smattering of other diners at that time, in the spacious, semi-industrial dining room.  We were disappointed in the food.  We sampled 5 orders: Scallion Bubble Pancake, Salt & Pepper Calamari, Cilantro Fish Roll, Hot & Numbing Fish in Clay Pot (3 red peppers), and Cumin Lamb Chops (3 red peppers). The Bubble Pancake was puffed and crispy, although pretty greasy (of course it is deep-fried).  The accompanying curry dipping sauce was insipid.  The calamari were crispy and tasty but also very greasy.  The fish roll was fine but I didn't taste the cilantro and thought it was just bland.  Clay Pot Fish was nicely cooked with some scallops and shrimp as well as pieces of fish, but in no way "hot and numbing."  Once again it was pretty bland.  The most interesting dish was the lamb chops.  They were coated in tasty spice and cooked quite rare with a pleasant melange of vegetables.  I did appreciate the fact that there is an inexpensive rose´ on the menu.  The service was attentive and friendly - just fine.  I always wonder when I'm unimpressed with restaurant food, that is supposed to be exceptional, whether I just ordered the wrong things.  That could be.  I'm sure we'll try it again.  My husband really wanted to try the Peking Duck, which in fact is $16 for an appetizer serving for 2 people.  We will also try some of the dishes which are labeled as more spicy.

• Like 1