Al Dente said:
Try the rabbit dish on the menu right now. I'm not normally a big fan of rabbit (not because of any thoughts of a cute little bunny, but because it's a freakin' rodent), but this was fantastic.

Rabbits are not rodents; they are LAGOMORPHS. I can't eat rabbit ever since I acquired two of them in succession as pets. Ain't happenin'.

I just had a conversation with my wife about eating "bunnies," which she's never done. I forced her into a corner by reminding her how cute and smart pigs are, yet how tasty bacon and other forms of pig meat are. I also reminded her of the weekend we spent at a bed-and-breakfast on a working farm (Smithfield Farm, in Berryville, Virginia), where we befriended a cute little cow, named Sally, whose destiny was no doubt macabre.

Nevertheless, she remains convinced that bunnies are too cute to eat.

Just to push her buttons, I usually call hamburgers "cow sandwiches," and bacon, "sliced pig."

I just had a conversation with my wife about eating "bunnies," which she's never done.  I forced her into a corner by reminding her how cute and smart pigs are, yet how tasty bacon and other forms of pig meat are.  I also reminded her of the weekend we spent at a bed-and-breakfast on a working farm (Smithfield Farm, in Berryville, Virginia), where we befriended a cute little cow, named Sally, whose destiny was no doubt macabre.

Nevertheless, she remains convinced that bunnies are too cute to eat.

Just to push her buttons, I usually call hamburgers "cow sandwiches," and bacon, "sliced pig."

I bet if your wife ever met any lab rabbits she would have to problem eating them. Those bastards are just plain mean!

I take it eating lamb is probably tough for her as well. :lol:

Rabbits are not rodents; they are LAGOMORPHS.  I can't eat rabbit ever since I acquired two of them in succession as pets.  Ain't happenin'.

I used to shop at a live poultry shop in Chicago. Every week or so I would go in a nd see what looked good: ducks of various kinds, chickens, exotic fowl. The owner would discuss the taste of the various critters before convincing them to make a permanent commitment to my dining pleasures. One day I walked into the shop and there was a cage filled with two bunnies. I was looking to make dinner for a group so I thought a little stewed bunny would do the trick. The owner said "What will it be today, Dean?"

Before he could suggest anything, I pointed to the bunnies, and said "I'll take the rabbits."

Aghast, his reply: "Those aren't animals! THOSE ARE MY PETS!!!"

Shoping there never was quite the same after...

A few weeks ago I was in a wonderful dining situation where I had to, er, eat rabbitt. I never had before, but to save face with one of the other guests there was no choice. He took one bite of our rabbit, looked at me and said "Taste it. It's KFC rabitt". He was right. It tasted just like KFC.

I still won't eat Thumper again unless I have to.

A few weeks ago I was in a wonderful dining situation where I had to, er, eat rabbitt.  I never had before, but to save face with one of the other guests there was no choice.  He took one bite of our rabbit, looked at me and said "Taste it.  It's KFC rabitt".  He was right.  It tasted just like KFC.

I still won't eat Thumper again unless I have to.

When my daugter was about 16 months old we had dinner at Majestic Cafe. I ordered the rabbit and split it with my daughter, knowing that she would probably like it's chicken-like texture. About two months later she had two little friends over to play and they noticed little baby bunnies hopping in the front yard. As the two other children and their mothers cooed over the baby bunnies, my daughter takes one look and says, "Mmmmm, tastes like chicken!"

Rabbit can be bought at Eastern Market and Montemartre does a nice presentation of rabbit with house made pasta.

Tom Power was recently doing a really interesting special at Corduroy: rabbit three-ways. Not on the menu, and definitely call ahead to see if he's offering it before you go.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I like to pick my meat like most women pick football teams, whichever one is cuter.  Choice between pork and veal?  Veal wins.  Bambi and beef, oh I am so going for Bambi.  Rabbit and chicken?  Thumper is on the plate.

:lol:

A friend of ours always says baby animals are the tastiest.

Edit to say that we haven't given our kids rabbit yet but doubt it will faze them. Emma likes to pretend to cook her stuffed pigs.

Edited by Heather

It was about a year ago, but I had a delicious, hearty rabbit stew at Belga...red ale, quince, tender rabbit leg. Perfect for a cold, rainy day. (I had rabbits as a kid, Tansy and Penelope. I'm able to keep them separate, but maybe it's more because I have a scar to this day on my face from big-footed Tansy... :lol: )

It just cracks me up that this thread was started mere hours after I saw Wallace and Gromit: Attack of the Were-Rabbit". No Lady Tottington am I...

as I said on another thread, if only I could (legally) discharge a firearm in my backyard, I'd be feasting on venison and rabbit all winter.

Edited by porcupine

It just cracks me that this thread was started mere hours after I saw Wallace and Gromit:  Attack of the Were-Rabbit".  No Lady Tottington am I...

as I said on another thread, if only I could (legally) discharge a firearm in my backyard, I'd be feasting on venison and rabbit all winter.

Consider a pellet rifle and a bow and arrow.

It just cracks me that this thread was started mere hours after I saw Wallace and Gromit:  Attack of the Were-Rabbit".  No Lady Tottington am I...

Learn to use a bow.

I should have mentioned that I happily ate rabbit as a kid and cooked it myself a time or two when I lived on my own. It was as an ADULT that I acquired pet rabbits and started feeling squeamish about eating their relations. (Whoever said that they can be litter-trained were LIARS). I pity one of my neighbors who grew up on a farm in Wales and promised her pet lamb that she would never eat lamb. Now THAT would be a hardship. :lol:

The Grand Mart on Little River Tpke. usually has a good supply of frozen rabbit for around $1.99 per pound. I made a nice red-wine-braised rabbit (try saying that 5 times fast) & served it with some sauteed oyster mushrooms and sage polenta. Thumper never tasted so good...

Boning the little bastard was a bit of a challenge, however.

Edited by bigpinot

I've cooked and eaten rabbit a few times, but I can't get past the "cute pet" taboo--one of my brothers had pet rabbits when we were kids. Of course, that didn't seem to bother another of my brothers, who raised meat rabbits for a while.

I did enjoy the rabbit dish we had at Maestro a while back.

For several decades, Mr. S has maintained that rabbit is a traditional main course for Easter dinner. :lol: We've never followed that "tradition" at our house, however.

One of my favorite dishes at China Star was the spicy diced rabbit appetizer. I haven't tried it at TemptAsian yet, but it's a mandatory order on our next visit. Even my husband sampled rabbit and liked it - this is the same man who won't eat dark-meat chicken because it has too much flavor.

I'd at least taste just about any animal except cats and dogs. I'd love to visit Peru and sample guinea pig...

Ironically I work with a breed of cat (Chartreux) that used to be hunted for fur and food, and my newly-registered cattery name is Plat Du Jour. Yes, the kittens will be named after dishes, and posed in a Le Crueset dutch oven for their "official" photos.

Considering how busy Central's kitchen is at times, it's remarkable that they can produce a dish such as the Braised Rabbit with Spaetzle & Carrots ($31). A variant on lapin a la moutarde, the legs are braised in white wine, proscuitto scraps, bay leaves, juniper berries, and mirepoix. Then they're deboned and glazed with the braising liquid, grain mustard, and creme fraiche. They sit atop spaetzle which is executed like a parmesan risotto, then finished with freshly chopped tarragon (the tarragon is a subtle, but important aromatic component in this dish). Alongside the spaetzle are some carrots which are also braised in the cooking jus, then glazed, Some sauteed loin meat is sliced into small, thin cylinders, and arranged along the side of the plate with fleur de sel and black pepper. The dish is then finished with a small arugula salad which pairs nicely with the somewhat neutral loin meat.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Considering how busy Central's kitchen is at times, it's remarkable that they can produce a dish such as the Braised Rabbit with Spaetzle & Carrots ($31). A variant on lapin a la moutarde, the legs are braised in white wine, proscuitto scraps, bay leaves, juniper berries, and mirepoix. Then they're deboned and glazed with the braising liquid, grain mustard, and creme fraiche. They sit atop spaetzle which is executed like a parmesan risotto, then finished with freshly chopped tarragon (the tarragon is a subtle, but important aromatic component in this dish). Alongside the spaetzle are some carrots which are also braised in the cooking jus, then glazed, Some sauteed loin meat is sliced into small, thin cylinders, and arranged along the side of the plate with fleur de sel and black pepper. The dish is then finished with a small arugula salad which pairs nicely with the somewhat neutral loin meat.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Obscene explicitness, Rock. I can taste this. Always carrots with wabbit. What wine did you enjoy with this bunny?