2010 dr.com Spring Picnic -- Fifth Anniversary!

DameEdna

It also seems that "hunks of protein" (steak, roast, fried chicken, pork tenderloin, poached salmon, lobster thermidor, etc.) are invariably gone at the end of the picnic, so I don't think we can have too many meat courses.

You forgot "good lookin' bloggers" as an example of a hunk of protein! And I'm also invariably gone by the end of the picnic.

(Ahem. I'll stop there.)

(Should probably figure out if he's going or not, and what special beverage to bring, and if I should bring wangs...)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an overgrown herb garden right now. If I brought cuttings of rosemary, mint, lemon balm, thyme etc, would people take them home and use them? I'd feel better about this option than the turn-them-into-mulch option.

I have an overgrown herb garden right now. If I brought cuttings of rosemary, mint, lemon balm, thyme etc, would people take them home and use them? I'd feel better about this option than the turn-them-into-mulch option.

Yes, definitely bring them!

And I am now a definite. So the Deviled-Eggy Crab Spread (recipe by David Hagedorn in the WaPo Food section) is no longer "tentative".

Would love some!

Herbs will be delivered. Some of them will be bare-root and freshly pulled from the ground, so if you want to start your own horrifyingly invasive but extremely useful and fun herb garden, bring a plastic bag and be ready to put them in the ground the same day. :lol:

Traffic Alert!

I apologize for the bold, but this might be important for some of our picnic attendees. Namely, anyone who would normally get to Fort Hunt Park by going west across the Wilson Bridge on the Inner Loop (to Church and then Washington) you do not want to do that. As reported by Dr Gridlock, there will be emergency bridge repairs at the Telegraph Rd Interchange on the Inner Loop. These repairs will reduce the Inner Loop at Telegraph to a single lane. As everyone knows, the 5 lane to 3 lane squeeze that happens near that bridge already does a good number on traffic flow, reducing it to one-lane? Engineers are projecting possible backups of 10 to 15 miles into Maryland.

If you might be impacted by this, your best bet is to cross the Potomac elsewhere. I'm guessing if you're coming from, say, Largo and farther south, I'd suggest using the 14th Street Bridge as your crossing. Given the possible scale of the backups, using 295 from its south terminus at the Beltway to the SE/SW Freeway is probably not the way to go (unless you live near National Harbor), but rather head east to, say, South Capital, or Routes 4 or 5 and then heading north.

Sorry for the interruption!

I am going to bring Chinese tea eggs and maybe some 5 spice beef coldcuts if I can find the right cut of beef. I'll also throw in some plates and napkins that I found in the pantry.

I will be bring some awesome Gelato and Sorbet from Dolcezza... and requests... how much should I bring???

Ok, after drooling over the website flavors I have to cast some votes because my mind is fixated on Dolcezza goodness: Black Cat Tiramisu, Honey Tangerine and whichever strawberry flavor you think is best. That's my vote. But really I would be happy with anything.

As a note every time someone posts what they are bringing I am salivating in anticipation. Is this as close to heaven as a foodie ever gets??? Right now I am salivating over both scrapple and gelato which would make a strange combination, but somehow my brain is making it work.

A couple of days before the picnic and nobody has mentioned the Cellar Cull

I believe that is due to the fact that our usual provostry folks won't be there. Do I hear a self-appointment?

(Unless I misread the attendance list and that JPW is indeed coming, as Jake is out again.)

It looks like I will be back in DC in time for the picnic on Sunday (yeah)... However, I have decided to live as an urbanite without a car. Having previously given such urbanites rides, I now wonder if anybody from dr.com is headed from NW DC to the picnic with whom I could get a ride? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I believe that is due to the fact that our usual provostry folks won't be there. Do I hear a self-appointment?

(Unless I misread the attendance list and that JPW is indeed coming, as Jake is out again.)

Unfortunately I am not attending so someone else will have to monitor the random bottles of wine. Come on folks you know you have them, bring 'em out.

Quick update on the menu thus far!

If you're still tentative, please let me know soon if you're coming, and what you're bringing! Once again -- can't go wrong bringing wine, beer, or bacon. (Everything else is icing on the cake .... mmmm, cake ....)

Appetizers

• pickled shrimp
  • chicken-liver paté
  • assorted ftayer (meat-labne, spinach)
  • assorted sfeehah (labneh w/olive, labneh-tomato, and cheese)
  • marinated olives
  • veggies and dip
  • lumpia
  • spring rolls
  • Chinese tea eggs
  • deviled-egg crab spread
  • assorted cheeses
  • empanadas tentative
  • guacamole tentative

Meats

• kibbee footballs
  • roast pig, with various sauces
  • pulled pork with sandwich fixings (cheeses, muffaletta, spicy mayo)
  • haggis
  • Antonio's fried chicken
  • smoked brisket
  • ribs
  • scrapple
  • wings
  • five-spiced cold cuts tentative

Remember the grill, too. Anyone in the mood to grill some gourmet
    sausages
    ? Flip a few
    burgers
    ? Bring a
    charcuterie
    platter? Make an
    ? Please do!

Vegetables

• new potato/haricot vert salad in sage vinaigrette
  • corn and tomato wild rice salad
  • corn, beans, and tomato salad
  • green lentils with bacon
  • cumin-marinated carrots
  • vegetarian pasta salad
  • chickpea and feta orzo salad
  • picnic slaw
  • Vietnamese slaw
  • TBD vegan side dish
  • caprese salad with homemade mozzarella tentative

Desserts

• mini-cheesecakes
  • homemade marshmallows and graham crackers
  • pound cake
  • cake
  • Dolcezza gelato
  • TBD pie
  • TBD cake

Drinks

• Barrel of Bell's Oberon
  • various beers (can't have too much!)
  • various wines (can't have too much!)
  • water (can't have ... eh, y'all get it by now)
  • soda

Supplies

• propane stove
  • deep-fryer
  • small grill
  • plates and bowls (disposable)
  • napkins and paper towels
  • forks, knives, spoons (disposable)
  • fire extinguisher(s)
  • soccer paraphernalia
  • cooler(s)
  • take-home herbs
  • 2 MREs ... anyone comes up with a good use for these can take 'em home :lol:

Well since JPW, Jake and MDT are NOT coming, I will bring some better bottles from my cellar! Seriously, everyone should chip in on food and drinks, for you newbees, bring bring a few shekles to offset the cost of the site.

In general, this picnic has awesome food. Cheeses and wines should ideally follow suit (within reasonable limits for wines, of course).

(No Kraft singles or Safeway party platters.)

Stroke! Stroke! Ye galley slaves!

Dick Tater.

The picnic is about the community, not your cooking prowess or wine budget, so don't worry if you're not a cook, or on a limited budget. I guarantee a big bag of potato chips or some good bread would disappear. Bring hot dogs or brats to throw on one of the grills. A couple of dollars to chip in for the site rental would be welcome. Bring a six-pack of beer, or some fancy sparkling lemonade. Just go. It's a lot of fun. :D

first aid kit...ready

Almost time!

Scott, I read that as first aid kilt :lol:

Lofty daydreams of achieving new levels of culinary douchebaggery by serving a dish with "three ways" in its title yield to the call of work, and the need to send a dish in my stead that others can cook up and serve for me. The solution: arancini caprese, the miniature cousins of last picnic's Suppli, made from tomato based risotto, stuffed with fresh mozzarella, and served with basil aioli.

Don't forget to bring empty tupperware or ziploc with you to the picnic! Not only is the picnic awesome, the leftovers are even more so. :>

Absolutely! And speaking of other things not to forget:

Please bring serving utensils for your dish. Extra serving spoons, bread knives, and cutting boards generally prove useful. I suggest labeling anything you would hate to part with accidentally; I'll also have masking tape and Sharpies for that purpose on-site. Of course, it's a picnic -- no need to bring the fine china! Serving out of your transportation container is more than fine.

I'll also have name tags and cards for labeling your dishes. KMango and I will be at the welcome table with bells on (possibly literally) -- come see us first thing!

Extra cups and plates and disposable forks would be great.

There is no such thing as too many napkins, paper towels, bleach wipes, and hand sanitizer.

Throw an umbrella in the car, just in case. (There's a large pavilion for food and people and a small canopy for the stove and fryer.)

Can't wait to see you there!

I just got the following additions to the menu that I wanted to share with everyone:

Escargot (out of shell) in butter, anisette, and herbs, with crusty bread

Thai-style coconut mussels (tentative)

Thanks, Skipper10!

Final-ish updated menu will be posted tomorrow; if you're still deciding, drop me a line. I'm happy to answer questions about what we might need!

Which reminds me - we're all going to chip in a couple dollars so agm doesn't have to pay for the whole pig. Someone have an empty can of Maxwell House?

We'll have the donation can, as usual.

The first cut off the top goes to reimburse for space rental. Then we'll throw a few dollars at agm for the pig. Anything after that goes to charity. (DCCK?)

Tomorrow! Sunday, May 23rd, 2010. Noon to 6 p.m.

, Alexandria, VA. Site C-002

Ladies and gentlemen,
let's picnic!

Menu

Appetizers

• pickled shrimp
  • anisette-and-herb escargot
  • chicken-liver paté
  • fava-bean spread
  • arancini with corn and baby shrimp
  • assorted ftayer (meat-labne, spinach)
  • assorted sfeehah (labneh w/olive, labneh-tomato, and cheese)
  • marinated olives
  • veggies and dip
  • lumpia
  • spring rolls
  • Chinese tea eggs
  • deviled-egg crab spread
  • goat testicles
  • traditional tomato bruschetta
  • Thai-style coconut mussels tentative
  • empanadas tentative
  • guacamole tentative

Meats

• kibbee footballs
  • roast pig, with various sauces
  • pulled pork with sandwich fixings (cheeses, muffaletta, spicy mayo)
  • haggis
  • Antonio's fried chicken (see posts below)
  • smoked brisket
  • ribs
  • scrapple
  • maple-chipotle wings
  • ranch OR habanero bbq OR Thai peanut wings
  • five-spiced cold cuts tentative

Vegetables

• new potato/haricot vert salad in sage vinaigrette
  • corn and tomato wild rice salad
  • corn, beans, and tomato salad
  • green lentils with bacon
  • cumin-marinated carrots
  • vegetarian pasta salad
  • chickpea and feta orzo salad
  • picnic slaw
  • Vietnamese slaw
  • asparagus & prosciutto pasta with ricotta-mint pesto
  • TBD vegan side dish

Desserts

• mini-cheesecakes
  • homemade marshmallows and graham crackers
  • pound cake
  • butter cake with blackberry-port filling and Nutella frosting
  • carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and pecans
  • cakes
  • pies
  • Congo bars
  • Dolcezza gelato

Drinks

• Barrel of Bell's Oberon
  • various beers (can't have too much!)
  • various wines (can't have too much!)
  • water (can't have ... eh, y'all get it by now)
  • soda

Supplies

• propane stove
  • deep-fryer
  • small grill
  • plates and bowls (disposable)
  • napkins and paper towels -- we could use more of these!
  • forks, knives, spoons (disposable)
  • cups (disposable) -- we could use more of these!
  • fire extinguisher(s)
  • soccer paraphernalia
  • cooler(s)
  • take-home herbs
  • 2 MREs ... anyone comes up with a good use for these can take 'em home :D

As noted above, we'll also have a collection can to offset the site rental cost and the cost of the pig. Please just chip in a few dollars or so -- there are about 75 of us committed to attending at this point, with another 15 still tentative, and it would be great raise enough to give the extra to charity!

Other things to remember:

Please bring serving utensils for your dish. Extra serving spoons, bread knives, and cutting boards generally prove useful. I suggest labeling anything you would hate to part with accidentally; I'll also have masking tape and Sharpies for that purpose on-site. Of course, it's a picnic -- no need to bring the fine china! Serving out of your transportation container is more than fine. And of course, tupperware and Ziploc bags for leftovers are a must -- provided we have any! :lol:

KMango and I will be at the welcome table with bells on (possibly literally) -- come see us first thing! We'll have name tags, and cards for labeling dishes.

Extra cups and plates and disposable forks would be great.

There is no such thing as too many napkins, paper towels, bleach wipes, and hand sanitizer.

Throw an umbrella in the car, just in case. (There's a large pavilion for food and people, and a small canopy, plus some tarps, for the stove and fryer.)

T-minus 24(ish) hours and counting! :blink:

The cake is in the oven. Butter cake with blackberry/port preserves as filling and Nutella frosting. Last time I made a cake Mr. lperry and I had a discussion the night before to decide which we liked better - the people we were going to see, or the cake. :lol: See everyone tomorrow!

Welp, 100 wee cheesecakes have been made and are currently chilling. Due to my overbeating, most will probably have a cherry or two on top to, well, make them look better. Of course, I haven't actually tried one yet. They look good, but that's no arbiter of taste.

Oh, and since I'll have to try one or two tonight, I suppose the maximum number that will show up will be 98-99, though I'm not confident I can reliably transport that many.

And if anyone needs a game to play this afternoon, items are occasionally being added to the menu posted above ... see if you can spot them! :lol:

Undertook the onerous task of chicken-liver paté quality control just now. Adding cornichons as accompaniment was the correct decision. I'm pretty sure the only appropriate response is om nom nom.