Late-Night Dining

JLK

I've found myself at The Diner and Pizza Mart a few too many times.

I have heard that Leftbank is teetering on the brink of closing its doors so that might be one option gone before I've tried its late-night fare.

What DC/MD/VA places do you like for dining after midnight?

I have heard that Leftbank is teetering on the brink of closing its doors so that might be one option gone before I've tried its late-night fare.

Last night I sent some visiting journalists from Chicago to Shelly's on F St at about midnight. They got burgers and wings and drinks. They really liked it, and said the atmo was pretty good. You can smoke, also, even cigars. I only eat at Pizza Mart when extremely drunk-assuming you were too.

I will always weigh in with Bistro Francais. One of DC's true classics, I find myself there more often than my wife would like I'm sure. The tartare is great and is what I gravitate towards on the menu. I always seem to have a great time there no matrter what, usually with friends from work and other restaurants, it is still the preeminent after hours spot for me. All this and tablecloths too....

Tastee Diner in Bethesda is great for greasy diner food and the price is unbeatable. Having tried Silver Diner and Metro 29, I would rather drive to MD to have Tastee's awesome grilled cheese and the yummiest, butteriest pancake around.

I third Bistro Francais- cautiously, though, if you've been imbibing TOO heavily, as my dining companion last time I was there nearly passed out in his duck. If you're looking to stay in the Adams Morgan area, I believe Amsterdam Falafel is open past the bar closings (and offers a much healtier alternative to Pizza Mart).

I agree with Brendan about the Bistro Français. I go there for the tartare and frites. My new favorite late night spots are :

Old Ebbitt Grill - the raw bar is half price between 11-1 Monday-Thursday. The largest platter with 4 dozen pieces plus a whole lobster is $45!

New Big Wong in Chinatown - the tanks have live shrimp, clams, lobsters, crabs and fish. The special fried rice with dried scallops is amazing.

Yechon in Annadale - 24/7 full service Korean restaurant with BBQ. It's really neat to be there at 3am and see tables full of rice rocket boyz and grrlz grillin' galbi and bulgogi afte ra night at the clubs and such. The food's decent - I wouldn't say it's the best I've ever had but it's cool to know I can get my galbi fix at any time. They'll only let you grill the meat at your table if you order a certain dish - otherwise it comes to the table grilled.

The service can be touch and go at times but heck, if you were working at 3am serving a bunch of rowdy kids wouldn't you be a bit cranky?

Anyone still going to Sette in the early hours? Or has the novelty worn off completely?

I know I don't go much anymore. They're in the unfortunate feedback loop of closing early if there's no one there, which means that people who try to go and see that it's closed, which means that they end up closing earlier more often. I've heard rumors they're looking at a Clarendon location, though.

i go to sette on occassion, after getting off of work late on friday or saturday nights.

you can usually only order pizza, but its pretty good, especially after a long day, and considering the limited options around.

in fact,the last time i went, i ordered the pizza that has an ungodly mound of arucula on it, just to see what it was like, because it just looked so strange to me, and honestly, it was delicious.

in fact,the last time i went, i ordered the pizza that has an ungodly mound of arucula on it, just to see what it was like, because it just looked so strange to me, and honestly, it was delicious.

That is indeed a very strange, but very tasty, pizza.

I believe last time I asked, BdC said they served until 1. Sette goes late, sometimes. Midnight's probably 50-50, depending on their mood. Kramerbooks/Afterwards goes all night.

Childe Harold used to serve very late, but it's been years since I dropped in for a George Stark or a Wild Billy Burger after midnight.

Decades, actually.

If your late-night Adams Morgan staples are The Diner and Pizza Mart, you'd be well served to head to Amsterdam Falafel for a post-bar snack... I've also heard that the newish Indian place (Chef's Kitchen, I believe) that took over from Burrito Brothers on 18th serves late night Indian, but my only experience there (dinner, take-out) was so awful that I won't go back, even when drunk. You can also get a half-smoke and some chili cheese fries at Ben's, if you're closer to the U St side of things.

Oh -- here's an unheralded late-night option. There's a shwarma-and-kebab joint on U St. at 14th called "24-7" that makes strong-to-quite-strong gyros, kebabs and the like. Check it out. In the same genre, if you're out on 17th St east of Dupont Circle, Pasha Bistro between P & Q (right next to JR's) makes fine, inexpensive Mediterranean fare and provides a place to sit outside and enjoy it. Plus, they sell bottled beer. What's not to love?

As far as options for a late night dessert with a nice Muscat, I got nothing.

Alex

Cafe Milano in Georgetown is open until 4am on Wednesday through Saturday. I know many people feel it's overrated, but for a meal at 2am, it IS at least a step above The Diner.

Just down the street from the Pizza Mart in Adams Morgan is the yummy El Tamarindo which is open till 3am during the week and 5am (!!!) on weekends.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but Sette Osteria is open until 1 during the week and 2am on weekends.

Happy eating!!

LaShanta

It's not much past midnight, but Etete (U St corridor) is open until 1am.

Now if only we had something open late here in MoCo that doesn't have "Diner" in the name...

Hollywood East On The Boulevard is open until 1am Sunday-Thursday and 2am Friday-Saturday. Don't know why I keep forgetting this is an option, especially since my +1 gets home from work around 10pm and has usually forgotten to eat dinner. I wonder if he'd be in the mood for Chinese food tonight...

Any good kitchens in the GoldenTriangle/Dupont area stay open late? I sometimes get out of work late (10ish?) during the week and have the desire to go sit somewhere at a bar and have a nice meal and a couple beers before heading home. This thread is pretty old, but the options gleaned seem to be:

Sette - if they feel like staying open?

Bistrot du Coin - website says 11pm except for 1am on thu/fri/sat

Kramerbooks - 1am during the week, 24hr on weekends

Any other recommendations? I know the GoldenTriangle area tends to shut down early, especially during the week, but I can dream, yea?

Any good kitchens in the GoldenTriangle/Dupont area stay open late? I sometimes get out of work late (10ish?) during the week and have the desire to go sit somewhere at a bar and have a nice meal and a couple beers before heading home. This thread is pretty old, but the options gleaned seem to be:

Sette - if they feel like staying open?

Bistrot du Coin - website says 11pm except for 1am on thu/fri/sat

Kramerbooks - 1am during the week, 24hr on weekends

Any other recommendations? I know the GoldenTriangle area tends to shut down early, especially during the week, but I can dream, yea?

Timberlakes! Midnight-1 every night.

I finally made it to Amsterdam Falafel Saturday around 2 am accompanied by my ex and a friend glued to my side to make sure I didn't do anything dumb. There was a LOT of Champagne involved.

Got a falafel which I slathered with the hot red pepper paste. It was so hot that I wished it had the numbing effect you guys rave about at the various Chinese food places. Instead I sat there drunk with swollen burning lips. Nice. I think I liked it.

cashion's late night menu is available from 12-2am on friday and saturday. the bar stays open until 2:30ish.

Thanks for the info! It's great to have non-diner food options at that hour. Also discovered the other night that Bar Louie, underneath the Gallery Place movie theater, has a kitchen that's open until 2 am, apparently every day. I had a grilled chicken salad that was definitely edible.