Dining in New York City

Heading to Manhattan on Thursday, staying at the Pod Hotel at 230 East 51st St. Any ideas for a fun, not-too-expensive, relatively light meal at around 10 PM between there and the Empire State Building?

Try Virgil's. It is only a couple of blocks out of your way. Fun place. Light? Depends on your perspective and what you choose to order.

Try Virgil's. It is only a couple of blocks out of your way. Fun place. Light? Depends on your perspective and what you choose to order.

Thanks. Plans changed--we have a party/reception at Brendan's Grill that will likely be our dinner that night. But we'll keep this in mind for a future visit.

While we're here, any suggestions regarding a good-to-great restaurant with high quality/price ratio? Not quite a necktie place but a little bit of swankitude is always nice. And, with one diner a wild card, a menu with some non-exotic choices in a addition to the absinthe-braised goat pancreae is appreciated.

We'll be staying in Chelsea but can travel.

While we're here, any suggestions regarding a good-to-great restaurant with high quality/price ratio? Not quite a necktie place but a little bit of swankitude is always nice. And, with one diner a wild card, a menu with some non-exotic choices in a addition to the absinthe-braised goat pancreae is appreciated.

It's not exactly a new suggestion, but my default go-to for something like this is Lupa.

Etas-Unis on the Upper East Side is always a nice experience, and would seem to fit your criteria.

Blue Ribbon

bar Stuzzichini - Broadway and 21st - Good Italian by the glass wines and small plates. Pretty people.

Craftbar - Broadway and 20th. Pretty people.

Trestle on Tenth - 10th ave and 24th. Pretty people.

Artisinal - Broadway and 31st.

and for a wildcard (don't ask and YMMdefinitelyV)

le Singe Verte - 7th ave and 20th

For a great meal with a good price-quality ratio and swankitude, I like the Bar Room at the Modern. For something more casual, I'd recommend Casa Mono (Spanish tapas). I've also heard great things about Eleven Madison Park, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

For a great meal with a good price-quality ratio and swankitude, I like the Bar Room at the Modern. For something more casual, I'd recommend Casa Mono (Spanish tapas). I've also heard great things about Eleven Madison Park, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Bar at the Modern is a great space with good food. Haven't eaten at the restaurant. I think that it's embarrassing that Michelin only gave EMP 1* in the 2010 guide

I liked Otto when I was there (roughly a year ago). Might be good for your wild card.

One of the best afternoons I have ever spent was two years ago at Otto -- eating charcuterie and drinking excellent red wines. Then I was ready to do some shopping with Mrs JPW and her excellent friend.

I was also interviewed by Mo Rocca that afternoon. He grew up in Bethesda (or it might have been Chevy Chase, I was pretty lit).

This might be a long shot, but we have overseas friends who will be in NYC over New Year's and so we're contemplating making the trip up there to see them. Any recommendations for a place for dinner on New Year's Eve? Ideally, we're looking for somewhere that isn't charging an exorbitant fee for a set menu and is likely to still have bookings available. Somewhere chill and under the radar is fine with us - we're not trying to fight crowds (I know, good luck, right?) or go somewhere that is charging $300. Anyone had good experiences?

Hi, heading up to NY over the holidays and would appreciate help picking spots for lunch and dinner. For dinner, looking for something outside of the Times Square/Broadway area (where I unfortunately usually spend my visits) that doesn't require/suggest a jacket. Any cuisine is fine and my dress code requirement will hopefully exclude most places out of my price range.

For lunch, what is quick and good in the very general vicinity of MoMA (53rd and 5th)?

Thanks!

Finally completed my tour of the three oldest NYC Steakhouses,

Keens 1885

Old Homestead 1868

Peter Luger 1887

Had the porterhouse at all three, medium rare.

Keens had the best atmosphere, it felt and looked like how a +100 year old steakhouse should. One of my friends said we wanted Peter Lugar to look like this instead of the non steakhouse like feeling it exhibited which was off putting. Surprisingly felt the porterhouse at Old Homestead was the best.

For lunch, what is quick and good in the very general vicinity of MoMA (53rd and 5th)?

For lunch in that neighborhood, I like Bar Americain. The table seating can get crowded and is probably best with a reservation, but I have wandered in with no reservations during the lunch rush on several occasions and found plenty of seats at the long bar. No dress code as far as I could tell as my jeans, flannel shirt, and Timberlands raised no eyebrows during one visit.

The Modern and Cafe 2 at MoMA also get good reviews, although I have been to neither.

For lunch in that neighborhood, I like Bar Americain. The table seating can get crowded and is probably best with a reservation, but I have wandered in with no reservations during the lunch rush on several occasions and found plenty of seats at the long bar. No dress code as far as I could tell as my jeans, flannel shirt, and Timberlands raised no eyebrows during one visit.

The Modern and Cafe 2 at MoMA also get good reviews, although I have been to neither.

I'm a big fan of the Bar at the Modern. The main dining room is on my short list of places where I'd like to dine.

No trip to the theater district is complete for me without a no nonsense meal at La Bonne Soupe. I haven't been since they had to remodel due to a fire, or flood, but look forward to my upcoming visit.

I didn't have a great experience at The Modern but it was shortly after they opened and had much to do with the server's 'tude.

I'm looking for a recommendation as well:

Does anyone have an idea for a lunch by the Guggenheim?

I'm looking for a recommendation as well:

Does anyone have an idea for a lunch by the Guggenheim?

I highly recommend Café Sabarsky in the Neue Gallerie (Fifth Ave. @ 88th). It's like being in a Viennese café. I usually go for coffee and dessert or breakfast, but have gone for lunch as well. It's an elegant, relaxing (when not crowded) spot with good food and service.

http://www.cafesabarsky.com/

http://www.wallse.com/

Just for fun:

1) Dumplings? Need to be open Saturday lunch and (this shouldn't elimante many candidates) in lower Manhattan. If there's some undiscovered gem on the UWS we'll catch it another time.

2) Totonno's, Patsy's (East Harlem), Lombardi's, that one under the Brooklyn Bridge, Arturos.... what should be our next pizza adventure? As you can see we have a bent towards traditional NY pies, but could be persuaded to try the expensive yuppie stuff authentic neo-Neapolitan variety. Should be in Manhattan and start selling on Sundays by 3PM.

Thanks.

I highly recommend Café Sabarsky in the Neue Gallerie (Fifth Ave. @ 88th). It's like being in a Viennese café. I usually go for coffee and dessert or breakfast, but have gone for lunch as well. It's an elegant, relaxing (when not crowded) spot with good food and service.

Second. My SIL took us there for a really nice late lunch one day. There was a line to get in, but SIL said that we shouldn't go instead to the downstairs café, where there was no wait for a table. According to her, it is a charmless space--though I didn't check it out myself. The main café was definitely worth the wait.

Just for fun:

1) Dumplings? Need to be open Saturday lunch and (this shouldn't elimante many candidates) in lower Manhattan. If there's some undiscovered gem on the UWS we'll catch it another time.

2) Totonno's, Patsy's (East Harlem), Lombardi's, that one under the Brooklyn Bridge, Arturos.... what should be our next pizza adventure? As you can see we have a bent towards traditional NY pies, but could be persuaded to try the expensive yuppie stuff authentic neo-Neapolitan variety. Should be in Manhattan and start selling on Sundays by 3PM.

Thanks.

1- Although I still go to Vanessa's on Eldridge St, the dumplings are no longer consistant, with thicker, doughier shells at times. Many of the other places written up on CH as "the best" are also thickly wrapped. Maybe Weinoo knows of something there or on the LES, since he was writing about a dumpling walk on his blog not long ago. However, if it's not just dumplings you're after but street food, I'd recommend the carts dotting Grand St from Eldridge to the heart of C'town. Everything from tripe to rice noodles stuffed with various "things". Vanessa's has decent mystery meat sandwiches as well.

2- I love Arturo's... a piece of old NY. The pizza is still quite good and the place is the opposite of yuppie. Salads are ok there but dont expect much from the other dishes... overcooked (but edible) old school red sauce pastas and "find the chicken inside the breading" parmagiana. Worth going to. STAY AWAY FROM GRIMALDI'S (the place in Bklyn under the bridge). Tourist trap, greasy and a line out the door. Motorino in the East Village and Keste in the West Village are hot spots.

If you're looking for something this Sunday (12/13) afternoon in NYC, folks from another food board (Mouthfulsfood.com) are getting together at a "bar with bar food" place in the East Village (Jimmy's, E.7th betw. 2nd-3rd Ave) starting at 4pm or so. Consider this an invite. After the welcome I got at the DR picnic and at Dino's a couple of months ago, it's my turn. Verrry informal and mediocre food. Good bar.

eta: nothing like going back over a thread and noticing that you not only have been to Arturo's, but I've already said that I like it. And mentioned Motorino and Keste. Okay then.

Really interesting thread. A friend of mine who (with his partner) took over Jerry's (from Max in the late '70's) used to rave about Arturo's. Adam grew up in Brooklyn before he went to the U. of Md and worked in Jerry's in Wheaton part time while he was going to college. This was a discussion we had almost thirty years ago when I brought back about a half dozen Gino's East/Giordano's pies from Chicago and finished them off in their Bethesda oven. Still, the passion for Arturo's created an impression. Years later I finally made it there as well as Totonno's and a half dozen other places. Arturo's was really good!!!

It is just a real pleasure to read that after all these years Arturo's is still counted among the best.

Sadly, time, teenagers and weather conspired against us exploring a new pizza place...when you're standing in the pouring rain with two hungry kids you go with what you know so, Arturo's being closed until 3, we ended up at Lombardi's. Still not a bad pie though, ingrate that I am, I hate the renovation and think the pizza tasted better when you felt as though you were in dark, grim little hellhole. Nonetheless, our guest, who had never been to New York before, was pleased to eating in America's Oldest Pizzeria. And I was pretty pleased myself.

We will plan better next time.

We did hit Prosperity Dumpling, on Eldridge Street. Props to Weinoo, whose blog tipped Mrs. B off. Stupidly cheap and ridiculously good.

Those in search of inexpensive lodgings in New York might consider the Chelsea Inn. Four flights of stairs to a room too small to do anything in but sleep or have sex -- and, if you're in New York what the hell are you doing in your room, other than those sorts of things, anyway? -- and a shared bathroom. But a friendly desk, two clean rooms for $330, and a comfy bed. For those interested in food, it is on the same block as Michelin 1-star/NYT 3-star BLT Fish and the (apparently) well-regarded Aldea, which makes an excellent sea urchin on toast and a mackerel crudo with mustard seeds and almond cream that may be either brilliant or horrible, but went down well about 11:30 last night. Right next door to the Chelsea Inn is what might be, based on their locations (W. 17th Street, E. 20th, Hudson, West Broadway) the hippest Belgian mini-chain on earth, Petite Abeille. Yes, they have waffles, Tintin in French or English for your reading pleasure, and a boatload of very serious Belgian beer. You could do worse than crash at the Chelsea Inn and repair to the Petite Abeille to plot your gastronomic and cultural assault on Gotham over a couple of lambics.

And, if this is the sort of thing you get into, hitting the Bauhaus exhibition (confession: I never knew their album covers were actual Bauhaus graphics) at MoMA one day and Kandinsky at the Guggenheim next (or later the same day) is a pretty astounding lesson in Modernism.

And now, I think I'll wind down from the drive back with a loaf of Balthazar bread bought this morning and the cheeses we picked up from Artisanal -- a damn fine bistro -- last night.

Sadly, time, teenagers and weather conspired against us exploring a new pizza place...when you're standing in the pouring rain with two hungry kids you go with what you know so, Arturo's being closed until 3, we ended up at Lombardi's. Still not a bad pie though, ingrate that I am, I hate the renovation and think the pizza tasted better when you felt as though you were in dark, grim little hellhole. Nonetheless, our guest, who had never been to New York before, was pleased to eating in America's Oldest Pizzeria. And I was pretty pleased myself.

We will plan better next time.

We did hit Prosperity Dumpling, on Eldridge Street. Props to Weinoo, whose blog tipped Mrs. B off. Stupidly cheap and ridiculously good.

Those in search of inexpensive lodgings in New York might consider the Chelsea Inn. Four flights of stairs to a room too small to do anything in but sleep or have sex -- and, if you're in New York what the hell are you doing in your room, other than those sorts of things, anyway? -- and a shared bathroom. But a friendly desk, two clean rooms for $330, and a comfy bed. For those interested in food, it is on the same block as Michelin 1-star/NYT 3-star BLT Fish and the (apparently) well-regarded Aldea, which makes an excellent sea urchin on toast and a mackerel crudo with mustard seeds and almond cream that may be either brilliant or horrible, but went down well about 11:30 last night. Right next door to the Chelsea Inn is what might be, based on their locations (W. 17th Street, E. 20th, Hudson, West Broadway) the hippest Belgian mini-chain on earth, Petite Abeille. Yes, they have waffles, Tintin in French or English for your reading pleasure, and a boatload of very serious Belgian beer. You could do worse than crash at the Chelsea Inn and repair to the Petite Abeille to plot your gastronomic and cultural assault on Gotham over a couple of lambics.

And, if this is the sort of thing you get into, hitting the Bauhaus exhibition (confession: I never knew their album covers were actual Bauhaus graphics) at MoMA one day and Kandinsky at the Guggenheim next (or later the same day) is a pretty astounding lesson in Modernism.

And now, I think I'll wind down from the drive back with a loaf of Balthazar bread bought this morning and the cheeses we picked up from Artisanal -- a damn fine bistro -- last night.

Thanks for the hint on the Chelsea "Inn." We often stay at an even more rustic Chelsea "Lodge" on 20th Street. Sounds similar -- narrow flights of stairs to smallish rooms and a shared bath. One of our favorite breakfast excursions is just to walk down the street to La Bergamote Patisserie at the corner of 20th and 9th Avenue.

We ended up not making it to the Guggenheim after all that day. Instead we went from the UES to Chelsea Market and had a nice and reasonably priced lunch at Freedman's Deli. We had loads of fun exploring the Chelsea Market, with great hot chocolate from the new Jacques Torres outpost.

We ate two dinners at La Bonne Soupe (seriously good food that is reasonably priced) and had brunch at Sara Beths at the Whitney. Our big dinner was at Bar Americain which I thought good but not worth the price.

As Waitman did, I can recommend a good, reasonably priced hotel too... The Hotel at Times Square. Its a good basic hotel in the theater district (or pretty close thereto). Its not a fancy hotel but if you aren't on an expense account who needs fancy.

I haven't been to the city in 10+ years, and this is my kids first trip (ages 10, 12). So we need to check everything off in one long weekend:

Deli

Pizza

Chinese/Dim Sum

Something Mario Batali - my kids love Iron Chef America

We already have tickets for the Statue of Liberty Crown, Tim Burton exhibit at MoMA, and Phantom. What are the other must-hits for kids?

Help, please!

I haven't been to the city in 10+ years, and this is my kids first trip (ages 10, 12). So we need to check everything off in one long weekend:

Deli

Pizza

Chinese/Dim Sum

We already have tickets for the Statue of Liberty Crown, Tim Burton exhibit at MoMA, and Phantom. What are the other must-hits for kids?

Help, please!

Tenement Museum, 2nd Avenue Deli (no longer on 2nd Ave.) Wandering around Chinatown for kids. Look at Weinoo's blog for great dumpling rec. Ice skating in Bryant Park (rink side restaurant with heat lamps, fine hot chocolate drinks and more than passable chicken wings). Cafe une deux trois used to be a go to place with the kids when seeing a show. Haven't been in years. Artisinal is worth a visit just to pick up some of the best cheese I have ever purchased in the US.

Dress warmly. We always seemed to visit over spring break and the cold would sometimes break my (and my kids') will to power on to the next great thing.

Deli

Pizza

Chinese/Dim Sum

Help, please!

The UWS side Shake Shack is right next to the Natural History Museum. If you go to the Museum they make it look like you have to buy a ticket but it is really suggested donation. I live a few blocks away, go all the time and have never been shamed or given any type of hard sell by the cashiers to give more money than I do. You don't mention if your kids are boys or girls but if girls, I think a perfect day would be breakfast at Alice's Tea Cup (a tea shop a few blocks south of the museum on Columbus Ave.), walk up to the museum through Central Park, go to the museum for a bit, ice skate at the museum's rink and then hit Shake Shack for a late lunch. After lunch you could walk the two blocks west over to H&H/Zabar's and get some bagels/rugelach to take back with you or just browse for a bit.

If you go to Otto, don't use that for your pizza outing. Stick to the pasta, small plates and charcuterie. Also if they are big Food Network fans you should walk the Highline Park and finish off at the Chelsea Market which is where the Food Network Studios are. There are a few studio spaces down in the market where, on occasion, I have seen various shows filming. I saw someone else mention the Tenement museum which is a great museum but I think it skews a little older than Ellis Island. Not sure if the kids will find it as engaging. I do highly recommend it however. If you do go, there is a gelato place right across the street from their bookstore which is pretty good but keeps really short hours and is usually closed when I go by. If it is open you should grab some. It is also very close to Katz's so you could knock your deli visit out as well.

Oh one more thing, I think if you are going to do Pizza you can't go wrong with Lombardi's. I know it isn't the top pie in NY right now but it is still very good pizza, you get to see what is left of Little Italy and the kids can tell everyone they went to the oldest pizzeria in the country. If you go there save room for dessert and go across the street for rice pudding. There is a place called rice to riches with all different flavors of rice pudding to choose from.

DanielK, how fun!

1) I echo Blake's suggestion of the Museum of Natural History

2) it's not high brow but it is a treat, Ellen's Stardust Diner. The caliber of the singing is as good as any in New York and it is loads of fun for an evening when you are not going to a show.

3) I would go to Katz Deli on the lower east side. It's a quintessential New York experience and provides a perspective of the city that other activities may not. (plus Russ and Daughters is just up the block...)

4) Take advantage of the 1/2 price ticket booth in Times Square. While one parent waits in line, the other can take the children around the now incredibly family friendly Times Square.

5) I second Otto as the Batali restaurant to choose. I was very sad, however, that my favorite one Esca seems to have closed down.

6) I can't write about New York without suggesting La Bonne Soupe as a pre-theater option. The first time I went I was 12. It's really great food, reasonably priced and a very New York experience because it is so very French.

7) Chinatown for Sunday dim sum would be great fun. I'll defer to others to recommend a place.

8) While most kids would like Serendipity 3 it's not very convenient if you are there just for a weekend. I'd recommend (echoing Blake again) taking a trip down to the Chelsea Market. Jacques Torres just opened an outpost and serves much better hot chocolate than Serendipity 3 (imho). Plus the Chelsea Market offers an absurd amount of choices for dining, casual and fine (if you include the nearby meatpacking district). Also, it is like a fabulous farmers' market.

Now... I'm hungry. Keep us posted on your trip! How fun...

Thanks, everyone for the awesome suggestions!

Nancy - I've thought about the half-price tickets thing, but this is a solo-parent weekend; my wife is running a marathon in Austin that weekend, so I'm taking the kids to NYC. And we already have (discounted) Phantom tickets for Sat 2p, so not sure about catching a second show. but La Bonne Soupe before sounds like a great idea!

Depending on the weather, a hike across the Brooklyn Bridge and then pizza at Grimaldi's (which -- fair warning -- I am informed may be in decline) literally under the bridge can be an excellent way to stretch legs and eat well.

We had a fine dinner at Lupa on a previous visit, and it seems a very kid-friendly spot.

I thought the Chelsea Market was a bit of a letdown, but YMMV. A walk on the High Line is always a good idea.

I will be making many trips up to St. Vincent's Hospital (170 W 12th St) over the next few months to visit a family member. I am looking for good lunch places for a solo within walking distance of the hospital. Most lunches will be quick, but I also welcome recommendations for more leisurely lunches. I have already done Gray's Papaya and Famous Ray's.

You're not too far from the Spotted Pig there - it's at 314 W. 11th (cross st. is Greenwich), and it's a much more laid-back experience at lunchtime. They only serve the utterly fantastic smoked haddock chowder at lunchtime, so it's worth going just for that, but you can't really go wrong with anything on the menu.