Dining South of Dupont Circle

The stretch of Connecticut Avenue between Dupont Circle and M Street (South of the circle) is in transition. A property owner along Connecticut Avenue, the first block south of the circle to N street, is forcing out Fascination Street Deli (already closed), a Hallmark store, and a photocopy/printer store. No word on what will be going in. Also Luna Grill is closed for a face lift.

Finally, the space that use to be The Chocolate Mousse (corner of 18th and Mst) will now be a Caribou Coffee shop. No word if they are taking over the whole section or just the Chocolate Mousse section (but the construction makes it look like just the Chocolate Mousse section, since the rest is still boarded up).

Tweaked said:
The stretch of Connecticut Avenue between Dupont Circle and M Street (South of the circle) is in transition.  A property owner along Connecticut Avenue, the first block south of the circle to N street, is forcing out Fascination Street Deli (already closed), a Hallmark store, and a photocopy/printer store.

Oh, NOOOOHHH!!! I've been going to that card store for longer than I can remember. I'm beginning to believe we need some tenants' rights for small businesses. The Chocolate Mousse was forced to move after 18 years, so that a COFFEE place could go in there? :)

Oh, NOOOOHHH!!!  I've been going to that card store for longer than I can remember.  I'm beginning to believe we need some tenants' rights for small businesses.  The Chocolate Mousse was forced to move after 18 years, so that a COFFEE place could go in there? :)

Actually, the Mousse, a dress shop and a pizza joint along that row were all forced to close probably 2 years ago and the space was going to be taking over by what was coined as a "high end national chain." That deal must have gone sour because the space has sat empty for a long time. Guess Caribou snapped it up recently...it is a prime spot.

Edited by Tweaked

Oh, NOOOOHHH!!!  I've been going to that card store for longer than I can remember.  I'm beginning to believe we need some tenants' rights for small businesses.  The Chocolate Mousse was forced to move after 18 years, so that a COFFEE place could go in there? :)

At least the owner ate the Chocolate Mousse space for a year before finding a tenent. I take a secret joy when I see small business's forced out and the owners unable to rent the space for the much higher rent they think the deserve. (My personal favorite was the spot at CT and T where the Newstand used to be. How long was it empty before we got yet another Bank???)

Jennifer

(My personal favorite was the spot at CT and T where the Newstand used to be.  How long was it empty before we got yet another Bank???)

It was SUPPOSED to be a restaurant. HAH! The developer wanted more "upscale" vendors in his building. I really miss the little antique store whose proprietress was a genius at window decoration.

Such as the empty former McDonald's in Cleveland Park.

On the other hand, Passport (no great loss) and Riedel's (never ate there) in Van Ness are also sitting vacant and were, as far as I know, owner-operated.

At least the owner ate the Chocolate Mousse space for a year before finding a tenent.  I take a secret joy when I see small business's forced  out and the owners unable to rent the space for the much higher rent they think the deserve.  (My personal favorite was the spot at CT and T where the Newstand used to be.  How long was it empty before we got yet another Bank???)

Jennifer

Edited by JLK

On the other hand, Passport (no great loss) and Riedel's (never ate there) in Van Ness are also sitting vacant and were, as far as I know, owner-operated.

Chocolate Moose just moved to Connecticut and L, which is a better space anyway. Has anyone ever eaten at the Cuban place tucked back in the office building by there? Yuca, I think it's called.

Chocolate Moose just moved to Connecticut and L, which is a better space anyway.  Has anyone ever eaten at the Cuban place tucked back in the office building by there?  Yuca, I think it's called.

I went to a party there and they had light apps. Nothing special and they were having "plumbing problems" and were orginally refusing to let guests use the "staff" restrooms. Turned out that some young women had locked the doors to the bathroom to primp. For an hour!

This space is destined to be a non food use. There is a restriction in Cleveland Park called the business Overlay District which limits the space on Connecticut allowed to be restaurant (or food use in general). The district is already way over that limit so no new spaces may be converted to restaurant space. Apparently the citizen's association in CP has a proposal in front of the planning commision to change the overlay but I am not familiar with the provisions of the proposed changes.

Right now the McDonald's space is proposed to be used as a BB&T bank. Even that use will need a variance under the CP business overlay.

The old Potomic Video space was supposed to become a sushi bar, but the building owners and/or proposed tennnts ran into business overlay issues and dropped the idea. It is now the cosignment shop.

Edited by deangold

This space is destined to be a non food use.  There is a restriction in Cleveland Park called the business Overlay District which limits the space on Connecticut allowed to be restaurant (or food use in general).  The district is already way over that limit so no new spaces may be converted to restaurant space.  Apparently the citizen's association in CP has a proposal in front of the planning commision to change the overlay but I am not familiar with the provisions of the proposed changes.

Right now the McDonald's space is proposed to be used as a BB&T bank.  Even that use will need a variance under the CP business overlay.

The old Potomic Video space was supposed to become a sushi bar, but the building owners and/or proposed tennnts ran into business overlay issues and dropped the idea.  It is now the cosignment shop.

Great. Another bank! The consignment shop has nothing interesting in it and we still have no decent cupcakes.

This is more general whining about Van Ness but is Sips ever going to open???

Is Michael around? After he masters the Montgomery County laws, perhaps he can take a crack at the Riedel's space and know the craziness that is doing business in three seperate municipalities!

Jennifer

Finally, the space that use to be The Chocolate Mousse (corner of 18th and Mst) will now be a Caribou Coffee shop.

They have announced the opening of the Caribou as Monday, January 16. For once, I actually have some inside information about something: there will be free coffee available there both January 16 and 17 to celebrate the grand opening (and presumably to sucker in all the folks who are now getting their fix at the Starbucks one block away.)

Not sure if "free coffee" means "free supermochahellalatte" or just "free drip," but stop by and find out.

They have announced the opening of the Caribou as Monday, January 16. For once, I actually have some inside information about something: there will be free coffee available there both January 16 and 17 to celebrate the grand opening (and presumably to sucker in all the folks who are now getting their fix at the Starbucks one block away.)

Not sure if "free coffee" means "free supermochahellalatte" or just "free drip," but stop by and find out.

I'm right between the new Cariboutti and the one on 17th and L, with 17th and L just a little bit closer. The closest Starbucks service is inside the Mayflower.

Chocolate Moose just moved to Connecticut and L, which is a better space anyway.  Has anyone ever eaten at the Cuban place tucked back in the office building by there?  Yuca, I think it's called.

I love The Chocolate Moose. It's like Urban Outfitter's meets Hallmark with better candy (though there are some nice gummy boobs and penises at UO). So.... What's going on at 16th and K across from the Hilton (opp side of street as St. Regis)?? Retail/Resturant space below office space. I heard some silly rumors. There's a lot of crap on that strip, anyway. A Vitamin store for all the homeless people. A shitty tailor and a 'duty free' wholesale shop. Crap.

How long was it empty before we got yet another Bank???

Great.  Another bank!

Apparently, Banks are the ideal tenants. We've looked a lots of really great spaces only to have the broker tell us, that the owners were going to hold out for a bank deal... I find it tragic, but then I tend to lament any empty space that doesn't get a new restaurant in it. We can never have too many right?... right?

:)

Not quite Connecticut and M, but two new restaurants have opened on 19th between M and L...

Science Club, replaced whatever had taken the place of Star of Siam, and Mezza Luna just opened, taking the place of...oh I can't remember. I don't know anything about these places, but what kind of name for a retaurant is Science Club? Maybe it really is a club/hangout for scientists?

My loss is your gain! I just learned that the (very nice) manager of the Caribou out here in the Skyline wasteland has been whisked away from us to open the new 18th and M location. His name is Josh and he always made a trip for coffee more pleasant. Stop in and show him some love on this holiday opening day. And tell him his friends at Skyline will miss him :)

Personally, I like Caribou's coffee and the ambience better than Starbuck's. And I'm a native Minnesotan, so I like to support a Minnesota-based company when I'm not hitting the locally-owned coffee shop (of which there are none in the Skyline area).

Looking for a place for 15 girls to go before an evening at the Improv. Somewhere close by, and relatively casual. Any recommendations? I can't seem to think of anywhere appropriate.
Penang isn't too far and if you reserve they will let you have a group that big- not too expensive either. I really like that place and it's only a 2-3 block walk to the Improv. Bar wise there's a lot in that area, though I'm not sure I'd eat there :o (Big Hunt, Lucky Bar). Daily Grille is pretty close to there too.

Last time (okay, only time) that I went to the DC Improv we ate at Famous Luigi's, on 19th St between L and M. I'm not saying it's great, but it's not bad. Didn't seem to have too much of a problem with our reservation for 10 so I'm guessing they can handle 15.

For casual, there's also Nooshi (FKA Oodles Noodles) over on 19th between L and M, as long as you don't mind noodle drips on your blouses. Another place might be Singapore Bistro, but there haven't been any posts on here about it since last year and I haven't been there in years. Personally, I've found it hard to order well at Malaysia Kopitiam, though I hold out hope. I used to work next to the Improv.

Looking for a restaurant that is within walking distance to the DC Improv. Ideally, a fun, upbeat atmosphere, as it's a group of girls out for a bachelorette party. Suggestions???

[Merged with above posts - DR]

Edited by DonRocks

The address is: 1140 Connecticut Ave., N.W., in Washington, DC. (between L & M Street)

By "walking distance," I mean we just want to park once! So, a couple blocks is fine, closer the better (in case it's cold!).

For how much we want to spend, I'd say less than $20 per entree. Atmosphere is important.....a lively vibe.

Thanks!

Where is it? CT between L and M?

How much do you want to spend?

Define walking distance, please One block? Five?

That will make it easier.

Looking for a restaurant that is within walking distance to the DC Improv. Ideally, a fun, upbeat atmosphere, as it's a group of girls out for a bachelorette party. Suggestions???

[Merged with above posts - DR]

Focusing on that "fun, upbeat, atmosphere" for a 15 girl bachelorette party I'd endorse Hudson and Firefly as well, but would also add Bistrot Du Coin, Sette and the West End Bistro to the mix.