Pat

Costco (Formerly Price Club) - A Washington-Based, Membership-Only Retailer - the Second-Largest Retailer in the World

Pentagon City store currently has paneer in the cheese case (the aisle closest to the bakery).

I wanted to give a shout out to Costco's Kirkland brand spiral ham. We had it for Easter dinner and it was delicious. I believe it was $.99/pound, so an amazing deal. Lots of leftovers.

Pentagon City store currently has paneer in the cheese case (the aisle closest to the bakery).

Has anyone tried the paneer?

Has anyone tried the paneer?

Yes. I can't tell any difference from what I have bought at local Indian stores. It is, however, a LOT of paneer. I vacuum sealed the rest.

When I was at the Pentagon City store last week, I bought cave-aged Cabot cheddar for $8.79 a pound. The rind is a bit sticky from being vacuum sealed in plastic, but the cheese is excellent. It was in the case with the Reggiano, not the one where the wax-wrapped Cabot cheddar is kept.

On a visit several weeks ago, I spent 5 minutes looking and couldn't find the paneer -- which other cheeses are around it?

On a visit several weeks ago, I spent 5 minutes looking and couldn't find the paneer -- which other cheeses are around it?

When I've seen it, it has been in the case nearest the right side of the store in the open side facing the bakery. So if you are on the aisle to the right heading to the back of the store, it will be right there on the left. So to speak. :)

When I've seen it, it has been in the case nearest the right side of the store in the open side facing the bakery. So if you are on the aisle to the right heading to the back of the store, it will be right there on the left. So to speak. :)

That's where I've seen it. It's where the bulk of the European cheeses are. I saw it there a few days ago, and it was pretty much dead center in the middle of that refrigerated case. It's the very far right case of those several aisles of refrigerated cheeses, hams, sausages, fish, and chicken as you face the back of the store.

Speaking of cheese at Costco--has anyone else tried the Rond du Val Papillon brebis? Two small rounds of bloomy rind sheep milk cheese packaged together. Similar to a camembert, from Roquefort sur Soulzon. Delicious!

Speaking of cheese at Costco--has anyone else tried the Rond du Val Papillon brebis? Two small rounds of bloomy rind sheep milk cheese packaged together. Similar to a camembert, from Roquefort sur Soulzon. Delicious!

I saw it but didn't pick it up. Now I'm hoping it's still there next time!

That's where I've seen it. It's where the bulk of the European cheeses are. I saw it there a few days ago, and it was pretty much dead center in the middle of that refrigerated case. It's the very far right case of those several aisles of refrigerated cheeses, hams, sausages, fish, and chicken as you face the back of the store.

Okay, that's where I found it today -- dead center. Thanks!

Anyone have a go-to recipe for paneer makhani? I found a bunch online and can't decide which one is best.

Anyone have a go-to recipe for paneer makhani?

I have one that I really like, but it's long and I'm no typist. I might be able to scan and fax it to you; pm me if interested.

ps try pm-ing Monica Bhide, too.

By any chance, has anyone seen Rainier cherries at Costco yet? thanks.

I saw them at Pentagon City two trips ago, but not yesterday. I think they may come and go very quickly.

I made breaded veal cutlets yesterday while I was dealing with a large package of thin sliced veal that I'd bought at Costco a couple days ago. Kinda crazy, but some of the packages in the case had been mislabeled and priced as if they had been chicken breast, almost half off the regular price of veal. I pointed out the situation to an elderly British lady who was standing next to me perusing the lamb chops. Her eyes lit up and she zeroed right in on the veal scallopini: "Aren't you clever to notice that!" she said.*

I couldn't see myself breading and frying more than one panful, and I was concerned about spoilage. So I set up my meat grinder, and turned the rest of it into ground veal, which I have wrapped and put into the freezer. Veal a la Pojarski (veal forcemeat croquettes) is on the horizon.

*Caveat emptor, or in this case caveat vendor. At the farmers market, where I am buying from someone I know, when I have seen meat mislabeled, I have pointed it out--and the seller has often sold it to me at the marked price, if it is in my favor. Having a much less personal relationship with the meat department at Costco, I did not feel the same ethical obligation to point out their error. Perhaps Randy Cohen, author of the New York Times Magazine column "The Ethicist" would scold me and take me to task for being insufficiently honest, and tell me that I was ethically bound to bring it to Costco's attention so that the meat cutters could take back and relabel the incorrectly priced packages. I'm not losing any sleep about it.

What would you have done?

*Caveat emptor, or in this case caveat vendor. At the farmers market, where I am buying from someone I know, when I have seen meat mislabeled, I have pointed it out--and the seller has often sold it to me at the marked price, if it is in my favor. Having a much less personal relationship with the meat department at Costco, I did not feel the same ethical obligation to point out their error. Perhaps Randy Cohen, author of the New York Times Magazine column "The Ethicist" would scold me and take me to task for being insufficiently honest, and tell me that I was ethically bound to bring it to Costco's attention so that the meat cutters could take back and relabel the incorrectly priced packages. I'm not losing any sleep about it.

What would you have done?

First, that sandwich sounds awesome. Second, I'd feel the same as you regarding the pricing and third, I just got back from Costco and wish I'd been looking at the meat section!

FWIW, the Springfield, VA location had Mozzarella di Buffalo.

While they seem to be running out at the Springfield location, I've become a big fan of the Tuscan olive oil. To me, it has just the right level of peppery.

Despite the fact that you can get some great deals at Costco, and even get wine if you go to the ones in Virginia, I let my membership lapse earlier this year. I realized I basically went there 2-3 times a year and loaded up on a core set of things only. I hate the lines and the $50 or whatever the annual fee is now is probably more than I was saving on the good deals I might have gotten. Plus, for a two person household, it kind of doesn't make sense, given the huge size of the packages offered there. Am I the only one?

Despite the fact that you can get some great deals at Costco, and even get wine if you go to the ones in Virginia, I let my membership lapse earlier this year. I realized I basically went there 2-3 times a year and loaded up on a core set of things only. I hate the lines and the $50 or whatever the annual fee is now is probably more than I was saving on the good deals I might have gotten. Plus, for a two person household, it kind of doesn't make sense, given the huge size of the packages offered there. Am I the only one?

We have an executive membership, and with our AmEx, get a rebate that at least covers the membership fee. We buy soooooo much more than food there.

It also helps that we have a 17cf freezer in our basement :)

I'm only cooking for 2 but I go once a month and get mostly meat (the large cuts, etc.) that I butcher down into individual portions and then freeze. I haven't done a cost benefit analysis or anything, but at the very worst it keeps my weeknight meal prep to a minimum.

I do hate the lines, so I try and go first thing in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday which normally helps me get in/out relatively hassle free.

I'm only cooking for 2 but I go once a month and get mostly meat (the large cuts, etc.) that I butcher down into individual portions and then freeze. I haven't done a cost benefit analysis or anything, but at the very worst it keeps my weeknight meal prep to a minimum.

I do hate the lines, so I try and go first thing in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday which normally helps me get in/out relatively hassle free.

Do you go to Pentagon City? We go to Springfield, and the lines are manageable, even when the parking lot is brimming. We went to the Pentagon City location once, the parking was horrible, and I found the customer service indifferent. I was so happy to find the Springfield location was actually closer (well, perhaps not as the crow flies, but with traffic....).