On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Don't know the name but wasn't there a store that had a lot of throw pillows where Lululemon is now? Also, close to B&N was an eclectic furniture store with lots of unique stuff. We also liked the tableware store that's close to the defunct Levante's.

the furniture store with unique stuff was sansar -- local makers and crafts. it had relocated from the tenley mall and supplied furnishings for new heights is what i recall. maybe there is a brother and sister connection between the two places, don't quite remember.

(i was told a few months ago by a frequent visitor to the downstairs bar at new heights that her ex-husband and sister-in-law own petits plats across the street. i believed her.)

Maybe it was a school project to protest something and see how people reacted. The types of frogs that are eaten seem to be fairing ok, they are probably farm raised, so not much different than eating chicken one would think?

okay, getting back to serious matters (although i would still like someone to tell me what happened to sansar and if there is a connection to new heights), i doubt that this is a serious protest.

big frogs will gulp down smaller frogs, they are friendly that way. and while there is no good reason for high school students to be allowed to work on any living creature in biology lab, as you go down the chain there is a point at which many scientists will maintain that the animal does not feel pain in the human sense. for example, in one experiment a bee is carefully sliced at the waist while it sips sugar water and then just keeps on drinking until it keels over from exhaustion. at least that's what i read in insectopedia, which also contains information on eating crickets and locusts.

big frogs will gulp down smaller frogs, they are friendly that way. and while there is no good reason for high school students to be allowed to work on any living creature in biology lab, as you go down the chain there is a point at which many scientists will maintain that the animal does not feel pain in the human sense.

Non-sequitur, but that was the coolest part of my high school biology dissection class: finding a fully intact baby frog skeletal remains inside the stomach of a bigger frog I was dissecting.

I'll actually be working in downtown DC for the next 3 days (McPherson Square area) and would love to hit up some happy hours since I'm always jealous from across the bridge in VA when you all Whim It Up in town :lol:

So- any places to check out this week and/or anyone want to Whim It Up avec moi? I kicked through the past few pages and saw alot of discussion about frogs (hey, mine had a baby bird's HEAD in it's stomach) and snow, but ah, then I stopped, heh.

Say hi to Tom Street, and have a Martinez. He's the Martinez king.

Strongly agree. Was knocked out of my socks when he made one for me at Bibiana, despite the facts that the ice there is not ideal and that they have an embarrassing dearth of sweet vermouths for an upscale Italian establishment.

I'm in. It's the day after my birthday.

Will there be pork products? Will Antonio be frying Twinkies again? Will Jake be pouring libations?

Yum....

Kibbee is your birthday the 29th? So's mine.

I would love to come this Sunday, but I am attending a benefit for a classmate of mine that was recently diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 30.

Newcomers, please join us! But please don't just show up without signing up first (it's free)! :lol:

You can chime in here (or PM leleboo) and let us know what you'll be bringing.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Thanks for the invite! Unfortunately, I can't make it that Sunday.

Those of you who have visited Melbourne, AU may have seen the public GAS grills they have available in their parks. (photo attached)

They put our charcoal grills to shame.

I was also impressed by how clean their stainless steel surfaces were kept.

Armand

post-4810-127413020254_thumb.jpg

Thank God we now can find a way to cook "Yak Penis". Andrew Zimmer had some the other day and it really looked good. He perfers the long slow simmer, but I like the lively stir fry method. In any event, I know what I am bringing to the picnic next year!

Are you going to do Yak Testicles as a side dish?

I have to take a friend to BWI tonight, and I plan to have supper at Grace Garden in Odenton around 6:30 tonight.

Anyone interested in joining me, PM me.

I can't make it tonight, but this is always my default thought - how can I combine a trip to BWI with a meal at Grace Garden!

FYI I am meeting up with three very nice Chowhounds (Not sure if they are on here, if not they may be after tomorrow night) tomorrow at Nam Viet in Clarendon at 7:30, if anyone would like to join us please feel free just PM me so I know what to make the reservation for. Of course if you are anywhere near Silver Spring or can get there you should do the $20 Tuesday up there it looks like it will be pretty tasty. I think we will do Minh's at a later date for comparison.

As long as the weather holds, downtown in Silver Spring at 9:30 PM (Ellsworth Drive between Fenton and GA Ave. where there's a mosaic fountain for kids, Borders, etc. and farmers' market on Saturday) there will be a free, outdoor public screening of "Corner Plot", a documentary about an 89-year-old urban farmer named Charlie Koiner.

Here's the link to the AFI's Silverdoc Festival where the two weekend, theater screenings are sold out due to local sentiment for the guy.

Charlie's farm is on Easley in Silver Spring, sort of across Fenton from the Safeway, about 1 1/2 blocks away on an acre of land. Figs, kiwi, Asian pears, golden raspberries, lettuce, chard, bok choy, flowers, radishes...

Anyone else planning on being there tonight?

I am going to amble over to Mussel Bar tomorrow night after work, and wouldn't mind some company. 6-ish.

Oh, you'll have company alright (*) - the press release just came out saying the Grand Opening is tomorrow night at 6.

(*) Grammar dildii (**), is alright all right in this instance?

(**) Want credit for First Person In History. Can someone please put this in Urban Dictionary alongside "ventworm nut?" (***) (****)

(***) Seriously, google ventworm nut (it wasn't me, but I know who it was: Happy Birthday, Meaghan!) :)

(****) Insider tidbit: "Mark" is Mark Slater and "Tom" is Tom Sietsema, or so I assumed at the time.

Oh, you'll have company alright (*) - the press release just came out saying the Grand Opening is tomorrow night at 6.

(*) Grammar dildii (**), is alright all right in this instance?

(**) Want credit for First Person In History. Can someone please put this in Urban Dictionary alongside "ventworm nut?" (***) (****)

(***) Seriously, google ventworm nut (it wasn't me, but I know who it was: Happy Birthday, Meaghan!) :D

(****) Insider tidbit: "Mark" is Mark Slater and "Tom" is Tom Sietsema, or so I assumed at the time.

Maybe I'll wait until next week. :)

We will be going to Un Ballo in Maschera and Madama Butterfly. If you want to suck down some champagne and sleep thru the opera like I sometimes do, let's talk about which performance date to attend.

Un Ballo in Maschera is what happens when you put eyeliner on your testicle.

I believe our very own Banco is appearing in Ballo.

Can Banco get us discounted tickets?

Performance Dates for mascaraing my nut (please indicate whether you want the left or the right done):

Sat, Sep 11, 2010, 7:00 PM

Tue, Sep 14, 2010, 7:30 PM

Thu, Sep 16, 2010, 7:30 PM

Fri, Sep 17, 2010, 7:30 PM

Sun, Sep 19, 2010, 2:00 PM

Mon, Sep 20, 2010, 7:00 PM

Wed, Sep 22, 2010, 7:30 PM

Sat, Sep 25, 2010, 7:00 PM

I would be interested.

I believe our very own Banco is appearing in Ballo.

Heather, what is it to you what I do with my lone ball? (At least I am a bass.) I don't think I can help on the ticket front, except for final dress, but then only maybe. Things are, shall we say, rather tight.

As for Salome, I've been doing some genealogical research and have discovered I'm a fifth Jew. I may be able to swing something (ahem) here.

Unless I'm planning an evening at the opera with a group of friends, I always check the WNO's website a few days in advance for tickets. Blocks of seats seem to magically appear 1-3 days before a performance. Many times I've gotten front row seats at a discount. I saw Banco in the last Ballo and he was REALLY GOOD. I look forward to taking a friend who hasn't seen the opera before. Salome is probably my all around favorite opera experience and I never miss a performance in DC. Miss Voigt sang a concert version 2 years ago with the NSO and she was sensational in the role.

Unless I'm planning an evening at the opera with a group of friends, I always check the WNO's website a few days in advance for tickets. Blocks of seats seem to magically appear 1-3 days before a performance. Many times I've gotten front row seats at a discount. I saw Banco in the last Ballo and he was REALLY GOOD. I look forward to taking a friend who hasn't seen the opera before. Salome is probably my all around favorite opera experience and I never miss a performance in DC. Miss Voigt sang a concert version 2 years ago with the NSO and she was sensational in the role.

It's true, they often paper the house a few days before performances when they see that tickets are not selling as well as they had hoped. (Mark, thanks, but I can't take credit; I've never been in Ballo before. Perhaps you were thinking of Elektra or Lucrezia Borgia?)

It's true, they often paper the house a few days before performances when they see that tickets are not selling as well as they had hoped. (Mark, thanks, but I can't take credit; I've never been in Ballo before. Perhaps you were thinking of Elektra or Lucrezia Borgia?)

Oh boy, really? I could swear you sang the role of one of the plotters in Ballo. Borgia, for sure. Although very well sung throughout, the Lucretia Borgia was a deeply flawed production- partly due to the weakness of the score and libretto and partly due to the direction. I applied the Slater test: If it is a tragic/dramatic opera and the audience is laughing, something is wrong. I saw the Elektra, as well. That was probably the most powerful and intense production of Elektra I've ever seen. My friend and I were totally rattled at the end. Will you be performing the 5th Jude?

Heather, what is it to you what I do with my lone ball? (At least I am a bass.) I don't think I can help on the ticket front, except for final dress, but then only maybe. Things are, shall we say, rather tight.

Not looking for comps here. I work in a theater & know every dime is needed these days.

As for Salome, I've been doing some genealogical research and have discovered I'm a fifth Jew. I may be able to swing something (ahem) here.

Ahem.

So, what's the dining situation like in Foggy Bottom these days? Has the Roof Terrace improved since my last review?

I'll be in the lounge at Eventide at 5:01, fulfilling the good-Jewish-daughter paradigm,* meeting some folks and hoping Steve comes up with something that can negate the past four hours of conference calls about lipid management.** Say hi if you're around.

*You wouldn't believe the explanation for this if I tried.

**If I order steak and French fries, it will be an act of unmitigated joyful rebellion.

We will be going to Un Ballo in Maschera and Madama Butterfly. If you want to suck down some champagne and sleep thru the opera like I sometimes do, let's talk about which performance date to attend.

Un Ballo in Maschera is what happens when you put eyeliner on your testicle.

Totally not the first time this opera has been mentioned.

Hey, Banco, how's it going?

I know I’m ready for a drink or two!

Anyone is welcome to join us if you’re in the mood to relax and unwind for a Halloween Happy Hour! Friday, October 29th 6ish PM ‘till whenever. Make sure to say hello.

LIMA Lounge

1401 K Street NW

Come and go as you please and feel free to dress to the occasion!

PM me if interested

Be safe and Happy Halloween to all!!! Boo! :)