On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

WMan I am sorry to break the news to you, but fireworks can be purchased legally in the District. And presumably, if they are legal to buy, they are legal to fire up. I realize that this takes away a considerable amount of the cachet that illegal activities may represent to those who are of the reluctant bourgoisie, but if you want to shoot off some firecrackers on the 4th next year, you can get them at Rodman's.

There are many classifications of fireworks; those legal in the District possess noticeable less firepower than those available in other states. Those of us who have bought and fired off both kinds can spot the difference. Rodman's fireworks are the moral equivalent of lite beer.

Not that it matters, but the original Whitlow's was at 11th & E.

I knew it was one block one way or the other from Ford's. :rolleyes:

There are many classifications of fireworks; those legal in the District possess noticeable less firepower than those available in other states. Those of us who have bought and fired off both kinds can spot the difference. Rodman's fireworks are the moral equivalent of lite beer.

This sounds like what was called Safe & Sane fireworks which were legal in the OC but not in LA. But that did not stop Rober Keik from setting the hill below our house on fire. Or was it my Dad?

But in any case, the Grucci Family stuff you can buy up north really packs a wallop, just hypothetically speaking of course, as if I had personal knowlege of hanging out with a certain wine buddy equipped with 400 pieces or so of Grucci fireworks and a police/fire department scanner so we could tell if anyone was on to us.....after drinking numerous bottles of wine and beer. Just hypothetically speaking of course.

..... but if you want to shoot off some firecrackers on the 4th next year, you can get them at Rodman's.

Firecrackers are strictly forbidden by the DC Code. I wish it could be enforced, they try my last nerve. Back on topic. I really enjoyed the Red Derby as well but I did feel a bit old. On the third hand it was fun hanging out with the young'ns for a while.

Their menu includes foot long fish dogs :rolleyes:

I think I'll be at H Street Country Club around 6 tonight. I'd like to try stuff on the menu in the restaurant. Don't know if I'll try to play golf, but the idea of the place intrigues me. I may stop at the Pug on the way, presuming that opens at 5.

Is Comet Ping-Pong any good these days?

I figure pizza would be appropriate for an After Bruni-Reading.

Anyone else planning to go the event at Politics and Prose on Tuesday, September 29?

I'll definitely be there! However, after 2 mediocre experiences at Comet Ping Pong prior to other P&P author events, we'll be dining elsewhere, probably at home, since there are so few options in that area.

I'll definitely be there! However, after 2 mediocre experiences at Comet Ping Pong prior to other P&P author events, we'll be dining elsewhere, probably at home, since there are so few options in that area.

I'm sorry to say that I too have had a couple of mediocre (more like bad) experiences at Comet Ping Pong (Sorry to rain on your parade, Anna and GennaroE!). I hear you on the lack of good dining options near P&P. Closer to Van Ness, I'd like to suggest Acacia Bistro, which is still fairly new. For a light bite, Acacia's small plates and at least one of the flatbreads (manchego cheese & potato) are good. Wine selection is decent.

I posted a review of my August visit here: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=12026&view=&hl=Acacia&fromsearch=1

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, but everybody expected the Bobby Flay Throw Down, I don't care what the lead-in is going to

say. See me (Just in audience shots; it's the bakery my sister works for) doing my best impression of irrational exuberance somewhere around Thanksgiving.

I just checked the board and am trying to understand why one of my posts has been moved to an unrelated category (moved from "sending food back in restaurants" to "food phobias")? I've PM'd one of the moderators, but don't know who deals with this. If you're one of the moderators and happen see this, please take a look. Thanks.

P.S. Nothing exciting to report re: my plans. Just that 4-letter word that begins w/ "w".

I just checked the board and am trying to understand why one of my posts has been moved to an unrelated category (moved from "sending food back in restaurants" to "food phobias")? I've PM'd one of the moderators, but don't know who deals with this. If you're one of the moderators and happen see this, please take a look. Thanks.

P.S. Nothing exciting to report re: my plans. Just that 4-letter word that begins w/ "w".

[That was my mistake. Zora's post (the one after yours) introduced the notion of "Food Phobias," which I thought was worthy of its own topic, so I spun off the related posts into that. Yours was accidentally included. Sorry!]

Awww...I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Die Zauberflote though... :(

Mozart operas are the only ones I can stand to listen to. One of the longest evenings of my life was when I was asked out on a date to the Met in NYC and had to sit through Lohengrin, up in the nosebleed seats.

Mozart operas are the only ones I can stand to listen to. One of the longest evenings of my life was when I was asked out on a date to the Met in NYC and had to sit through Lohengrin, up in the nosebleed seats.

Anyone who has not seen it should rent or buy Joseph Losey's magnificent film of Don Giovanni. It's very inexpensive from Amazon.

Awww...I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Die Zauberflote though... :(

Awww... I'm singing Sarastro in Baltimore next year (operavivente.org). Afterwards I shall come to Dino and break out into "In diesen heil'gen Hallen" (assuming Dean does not throw me out).

Awww... I'm singing Sarastro in Baltimore next year (operavivente.org). Afterwards I shall come to Dino and break out into "In diesen heil'gen Hallen" (assuming Dean does not throw me out).

More appropriate might be: Garstig glatter glitsch'riger Glimmer! wie gleit' ich aus! Mit Händen un Füssen nicht fasse noch halt' ich das schlecke Geschlüpfer! ...

More appropriate might be: Garstig glatter glitsch'riger Glimmer! wie gleit' ich aus! Mit Händen un Füssen nicht fasse noch halt' ich das schlecke Geschlüpfer! ...

Dean runs too good a restaurant to be a Wagnerite, though there are always exceptions.

Wagner is a personal favorite. When I went to New Cam Fong the first time, they were playing a Wagner overature or orchestral selection as I am not that familiar with the score, Parsifal I believe, and I was thinking cool! Roasted spareribs, won ton noodle soup, cold fresh Tsing Tao & Wagner. But if truth be known, I am much more of a Pucini-ophile and my love of Offenbach's Les Contes des Hoffman knows no bounds.

PM a reminder, and we just might be there (have a friend studying voice at Peabody right now, too).

I cut my directorial teeth on Gilbert and Sullivan, and when I need a "comfort food" version of opera, Schwenk and Sir Arthur are still my go-tos. (In fact, I know we used the madrigal from The Mikado and a vamp of part of the HMS Pinafore overture in our wedding; there was a third piece of music, though, that's been completely forgotten by us all now...)

One of my all-time favorite shows is Die Fledermaus, though, if only because all throughout my childhood I was convinced the title was "Deflate a Mouse." And I thought that was awesome. I did see a fantastic production in Boston several years ago. I kept the mask they handed out to the audience for ages.

Hoffman, Candide, and Carmen are in heavy rotation too...I seem to like anything I worked on in any capacity, even if objectively it's not my usual style.

Opera theme picnic? :(

LAST CALL :(

As it will be getting progressively colder as this week goes on, I believe I will take the opportunity to sit outside one last time to assist in draining the taps at the Black Rooster Pub. The Last day will be Friday, but who knows what will be left by then. (And it will be too cold to sit outside!) I talked to Toby this afternoon, and it's a very sad situation.

Please stop by anytime this week; Many people's livelihoods will be effected by this closing. And I'm sure they won't be able to get anywhere near what they spent on their remodel at auction. Give me a holler if anyone can come by this evening, or any other day this week. I'm out on Thursday, but do hope to be there on Friday as well.

I'll be at Vidalia's wine-tasting happy hour tonight from 5:30-6:30 with a friend -- a lifelong SoCal girl -- who just moved here (I'm hoping to ease her into our weather patterns...). Would love to see folks who wanna hop on the welcome wagon. :(

Sweet, like Walla Wallas.

I plan to see you there.

Gennaro forgot to tell people about the cot setup for him in the back corner there. :( (heehee) Have fun and have a pint or two for me!

Haha...hey, I can't help how good it is. I was totally impressed yet again tonight by a bunch of new dishes. And I had a beer I really loved, though I can't remember the name. It started with a G, and it was German, and dark.

Anybody up for dinner at Dino tonight? Having a gift certificate to burn and a desire for white truffle risotto is successfully edging out my aversion to today's weather, and I may just head over if others want to tag along.

Go ahead and PM or post if you're interested.

You might check to make sure they have truffle tonight, as they were out as of last night. That said, the milk-fed baby pig was one of the best dishes I've had all fall, so it might be worth the trip out even if they do not.

As I wont be able to make it to the Proof happy hour tomorrow, and I suddenly have a chunk of time open before I have to be at my internship at DC Central Kitchen tomorrow afternoon, I'm probably going to head over to Proof for lunch some time between 12 and 12:30. If anybody's in the area and up for joining, just shoot me a PM.

Why don't you send an e-mail to your buddy Koji regarding what kind of texture squid kara age is supposed to have? Also, ask if freezing makes squiddies tough.

I see from your ire that you are finally letting your bias against deaf people rear its ugly head...