Photo

Eleven Madison Park - 2012 National James Beard Award Winning Chef-Owner Daniel Humm on 11 Madison Avenue in Flatiron

Flatiron Modern American James Beard Award

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have a couple of questions. What's the difference between lunch and dinner other than the price? What's the difference between the 4 course and tasting menu (how many courses are served with the tasting menu)?

lunch vs. dinner. 4 courses vs. tasting. They are closed on July 4th.

#2 LauraB

LauraB

hammerhead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

I have a couple of questions. What's the difference between lunch and dinner other than the price? What's the difference between the 4 course and tasting menu (how many courses are served with the tasting menu)?

I can't speak to the difference between lunch and dinner, as I've not had lunch there. We did have dinner there last September and we chose the tasting menu. We were served 12 courses, although some were more properly called 'amuses'. We still talk about it with reverence. It was possibly the most incredible dining experience of my life.

#3 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I have not been since election night 2008. We did the 4 course menu for dinner. It was one of the single most perfect dining experiences of my life. (Citrus in LA 1996, Provence in DC 1996, Citronelle 2004, the Church in Straford, ON 2001-2008 are the others.) The service was wonderful. The food was great. I think there were drinks though we went out for more drinks later and then champagne at the hotel bar once the results were clear.

I haven't been back, It is partially because I don't get to NY much anymore and I can't afford to drop that much money on dinner again. But I'm afraid it won't be as wonderful and I don't want to diminish the memory of a perfect evening.

#4 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

There are so many things going on each dish that I can't focus my attention. We added a duck, which I ordered in advance, and it costs $100 just by itself. Luckily the 4 course lunch was only $75, so it was about $100 per person for lunch. I have photos which I'll post later. I had foie gras, lobster, and lamb. We never got dessert because my cousin had to catch a flight, my brother had a call, and I had dinner reservation at Amada in Revel in Atlantic City. Not saying they are better, but I enjoyed Elisir and Eola more. It's easier to appreciate simple foods for me.

#5 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

I can't really tell you what else is on those plates - some are obvious while others are not. I liked the duck breast, the rest of the duck was was under that foie cream sauce.

Attached Thumbnails

• Foie Gras.JPG
  • Lobster.JPG
  • Lamb.JPG
  • Duck Breast.JPG
  • Duck Leg.JPG

#6 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

A Restaurant of Many Stars Raises the Ante

#7 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,912 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

A Restaurant of Many Stars Raises the Ante

This really emphasizes the difference between Chef as Artist (Picasso) and Chef as Craftsman (Jiro).

It isn't so much "raising the ante" as it is "changing the rules." The question is, will this be Vladimir Nabokov writing in English, or Michael Jordan playing baseball?

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#8 Gary Tanigawa

Gary Tanigawa

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

EMP drops its minimalist grid menu

#9 jpbloom

jpbloom

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

It's a nice position to be in but I've been able to go to a lot of high end (high priced) Michelin starred restaurants in many countries.  As a result, in comparing apples to apples and looking at cost, I'm often very critical and destination restaurants, while often excellent, frequently leave me a bit underwhelmed.

Friday night's dinner at Eleven Madison Park still has me in awe.  With no real choices other than one of two for the main protein and whether you will or won't eat foie gras, you put yourself in the hands of the chef but what hands they are.  A couple of days later numerous courses still have me saying wow.  The only disappointment was a squash course that was not bad but simply oversold.  With two bottles of really nice wine picked from an intense list, the total for two brushed up against $1000 (it would have gone over had the recent price increase kicked in), but even at that price I would dine there again in a second.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flatiron, Modern American, James Beard Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users